Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Does Lenovo make anything worthwhile in the 24-27" IPS segment? I'm starting a new job, and I asked for a not-crappy monitor. Future boss said he'd do what he could, but they issue Lenovo laptops as standard, plus a monitor. I checked out Lenovo's website, and wasn't super impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks for your replies, both of you. I'm not sure it has to be from Lenovo, just covering my bases. I think I'll ask for a Dell U2713HM and see if that's possible.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Work has granted me permission to order a new monitor. Current candidate is the Dell U3415W. It's going to be used mainly for coding and sysadminning.

Right now I use a 27" Dell U2713HM at work and a 27" Apple LED Cinema Display (non-thunderbolt version) at home, and I'm pretty pleased with both.

Thoughts? Alternatives? I currently have an old but good Sony 20" 4:3 1200x1600 as a secondary, which I may or may not keep on the side.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
So, just to be clear, if I don't give two shits about gaming and latency, I'm fine with the Dell U3415W?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Just wanna check back in and say that the Dell U3415W I got is pretty darn awesome.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm looking for a monitor that meets the following requirements:
  • 27" or better
  • USB-C charging at 130W or better (maybe a little less can do.)
  • RJ45 Ethernet jack
  • Not a million bucks

The Philips 272B7QUPBEB seems promising, but can only charge at 60W.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Dumb question: we got spanking new poverty spec dell 24” USB-C monitors at work, and the deal if you want two is you daisy chain with DisplayPort. So it goes:

Laptop -> usbc cable -> monitor 1 -> DisplayPort cable -> monitor 2

Now it seems that the USB ports on monitor two are not connected to the laptop. There’s no more usbc ports on the laptop. What do I do?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Rexxed posted:

Why do you need USB hubs on both monitors? Can you get by with an external USB hub or get a USB A to USB C cable to hook up the USB hub on the second monitor if you need to drive a lot of devices?

The monitors only have 2x3.0 and 2x2.0 and with 1 or 2 keyboard/mouse dongles (yes, I know you can re-pair Logitech stuff but my users don’t) + potentially a gbit Ethernet adapter and a sound card poo poo’s getting full fast.

I’m liking the USB C to USB A idea, will investigate that route. I just think it’s dumb that it isn’t routed over DisplayPort now that every single other thing seems to be.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Through careful political maneuvering I have been given green light to buy a Dell U3419W or similar for work. I had a U3415W at the previous place, which I loved very, very much. Thoughts on one over the other? I don't think I particularly need USB-C.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
About to order a couple of Dell UltraSharp 27" monitors for work, specifically the U2719DC.

Is this a good monitor? I had a U2715somethingsomething and that was very nice.

Will it be able to USB-C charge a laptop, and, if so, with how many watts?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I'm looking for opinions on the LG 34WK95U-W. It's strictly for business/office use. No gaming.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
At work I just took delivery of a pair of Dell U2720Qs, and that is actually a fine display. USB-C with power (90W I believe), USB and USB-C on the side, for charging (don't know the amperage but I'm guessing it's good.) Thin bezel, good clean looks... you could do a lot worse than getting one of these.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Is the Dell U2720Q on its way out? My entire country is out of them, it seems.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We're having a small annoyance with some Dell U2720Q monitors. We pair them with MacBook Airs, via USB-C, and then we plug in a USB to RJ45 ethernet dongle in the monitor, so network is wired.

Problem is, that if the ethernet dongle is in the screen, we only see about 300 Mbit/s each way.

If the dongle is connected directly to the MacBook Air, we get the full gigabit.

The problem persists across several monitors and models of ethernet dongles, USB-A 3.0 and USB-C.

Is the laptop-to-monitor bus limited, or is there something else we can do?

Edit: Good stuff from forums poster CaptainSarcastic here:

bolind fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 30, 2021

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have two Dell U2720Qs, alternatively one U2720Q and one U2723QE.

Is it possible to daisy chain them such that I can get away with plugging in just one USB-C cable to my laptop?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

K8.0 posted:

What you want is MST. Make sure your laptop supports it, it probably does. For two 4k60 displays it might need to support DSC, which it probably also does. The U2723QE supports MST, so you can do USB > U2723QE > DP cable > U2720Q.

See page 12 of this for the right ports.

*Looks at 2020 Intel MacBook Air. Weeps softly.*

Thanks tho, this is also for the wife’s Lenovo ThunderBrick, maybe it’ll work for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
As previously mentioned, I have a couple of Dell Ultrasharps (U2720Q, U2723QE).

I'd like to get some longer USB-C cables for them, 1.5 and 2.0 meters. What spec should these new cables meet?