Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
I'm trying to choose between two monitors. The main feature I'm concerned with is 1440p resolution; I've been using a 22" 1680x1050 monitor and 1080p doesn't feel like enough of an increase in resolution to justify the upgrade cost. I mostly use this computer for gaming so I'm OK with a TN panel even though I know viewing angles can be wonky, and I'd like to keep the cost below $400 US. My computer has a GTX 1070 graphics card.

Dell S2417DG - Pros: Native G-Sync, extra USB ports, fully adjustable stand. Cons: No speakers*.

ASUS PB277Q - Pros: significantly cheaper, 27", fully adjustable stand. Cons: No Freesync/G-Sync, no additional USB ports.

*Yes, I know built-in speakers are generally garbage, but it'd be nice to have them as an option when I don't feel like plugging in headphones. I'm already using a separate set of speakers but ideally I'd like to reduce the clutter on my desk.

Any thoughts? I'm sure the Dell is a higher quality monitor overall, but for the price difference I'm very curious about the ASUS model. While it's lacking any sort of adaptive refresh rate, it still has a response time of 1ms and 75hz puts it a step above other budget-priced monitors at the same resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

TheFluff posted:

If you have $400 you easily have the budget for IPS. Don't buy TN if you can get IPS. Hell, you can get 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS with Freesync for $450 these days - just throwing that out there. Spending $270 on 75Hz TN is really not a good investment and I would strongly recommend not doing that. You can get a really good 60Hz 27" 1440p like the Dell U2717D for $360 and you will almost certainly not notice the difference between 60 and 75 Hz.

TN makes sense if you want 240Hz, but for everything else, not really.

I appreciate your input! Yeah, I've been thinking about it and given how infrequently I buy monitors, it might be worth spending a little more. The VG270U seems to hit every major note I'm looking for (Freesync is less than ideal with a 1070 but maybe it'll get G-Sync support patched in) and is close enough to my price point to consider. Is this model still being manufactured? I can't find it in stock anywhere.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

TheFluff posted:

As far as the VG270U goes, I think it's actually the other way around - it's too new and hasn't shown up in volume yet. It's available in Europe but that doesn't really help you, does it?

Nope. :911: It's not like I need a new monitor right now so I suppose I can just wait around for it to become available. Thanks again!

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Harik posted:

People have covered the other points but I wanted to remind you that this is physically impossible. GSync is a completely separate controller board and AFIK only one monitor ever had an "upgrade" kit, probably because it was the one they originally developed gsync for.

Yeah, since following this thread I have learned both that G-Sync had a special hardware component to it, and that the new cross-functionality with Freesync suggests that you can try enabling G-Sync with any Freesync monitor, though it's not guaranteed to work. I initially read the press release as saying "only these particular models will work for now but we'll be adding more to this list over time". Whoops. :blush:

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
Glad to hear the VG271U is good. I'm kicking myself for hesitating on buying one; was going to buy it on Sunday but it was sold out by then.

EDIT: Amazon's listing the XV272U now in the USA. Looks like they'll actually start shipping out mid-to-late February.

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 31, 2019

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
My Acer VG271U just arrived and this thing is amazing! (...Other than the wonky stand and the truly, truly atrocious speakers, both of which are well documented and not the point.) The difference in image quality between this and my old 22" Samsung from 2007 are like night and day. Freesync/G-Sync setup was a breeze and seems to work fine on FF14 and Warframe. I really appreciate the feedback I got with my earlier questions about what to shop for. Thanks, thread! :toot:

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
I've never used one myself but my understanding is that the VG27AQ has gotten universal praise. RTings seems to prefer it over the LG model you listed, but they both look to be pretty good.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Kragger99 posted:

Hey gang, I recently picked up an ASUS VG27AQ 27 (yes, I know I probably should have gotten the LG that this thread recommends, but alas), and I am using the display port for my connection from my 1080ti. I'm noticing it takes ~10 seconds to wake from sleep - this seems like a common issue with this one. Does anyone here know what might be causing that? I've read that it may be related to deep sleep settings, GSync (My HDR if off), or possibly that the cable provided isn't 2.1. Just thought I'd ask here as I'm having trouble finding solutions on the internet.

I can't offer a solution, I'm afraid, but I have an ASUS XG279Q and I've noticed a similarly long boot-up time. Maybe it's just a quirk of that brand?

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
So I recently swapped out my Acer Nitro VG271U (the one with the occasional flickering problem) for an ASUS XG279Q and while it's a definite upgrade, the ASUS is kinda... quirky. When it powers down (incl. standby) Windows seems to think it's entirely disconnected and so it moves all my icons and windows over to my secondary screen, which is a lower resolution, and there's a good 50/50 shot as to whether or not it'll snap everything back into place properly when the monitor is turned back on. This also triggers occasionally scaling the entire UI up or down to reset everything as it'll arbitrarily activate zoom on some programs but not others. Tangentially related, I have my monitors set to power down after not being used for a while, but this ASUS just won't stay on standby and keeps waking itself up, leading to the aforementioned shifting/zoom issues. I love this screen but I'm getting rid of the Acer because the flickering was a QoL annoyance, so trading one annoying behavior for another is, well, annoying. Is there a workaround for either of these?

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 8, 2020

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Indiana_Krom posted:

At least in my Asus monitor, pull up the OSD controls:
Scroll to the bottom of System Setup:
Uncheck DisplayPort Deep Sleep
Uncheck HDMI Deep Sleep

It should resolve much of this behavior assuming yours has the same settings available.

Mine doesn't seem to have any options for that, and I can't find any mention of those with the XG279Q. :sigh:

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
There doesn't seem to be any sort of option to disable Deep Sleep for the ASUS XG279Q that addresses the issues I'm having with it. The VG27AQ has the same problem and ASUS hasn't issued a fix yet despite the monitor being out for a year, so I'm guessing it must be some sort of hardware-based limitation and a solution or workaround isn't coming. This has made a dual-monitor setup really annoying to have to juggle around, so back to the store it goes. Gonna give the LG 27GL83A-B a whirl and see how that goes.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Verviticus posted:

i saw someone mention the LG 27GL83A-B about 12 pages back or so

That seems to be the go-to pick for this thread for 144hz 1440p monitors. I just got one myself and it's been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos

Some Goon posted:

Microcenter has the VG271U Pbmiipx for 280 which looks slightly better? on paper? Do you know what if anything are the meaningful differences between the two?

Maybe they've fixed it, but this model of Acer was notorious at launch for a sort of flicker-glitch frame happen periodically for no explainable reason. I bought one at launch and it was otherwise a pretty good screen, but the frequency of the glitch (once every hour or two) was such that I was concerned about the monitor eventually just burning out, so I replaced it with an LG 27GL83A-B.