Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I think I need a new gaming monitor.
I currently have an Asus V226H monitor that I was mostly happy with. However, now I'm wanting a bigger screen and lately I'm starting to notice just how bad the contrast and color is on this monitor.

I was looking at both the Dell U2311H and Asus VG236H in the Op, but the former worries me that ghosting will be a problem (I rage at the thought of it), and for the second it's a tad expensive and I'm not sure I care about having a 120hz monitor.

I'm currently eye-balling the ASUS VS248H-P. It's 24" which is about what I'm looking for (or 23"), low input lag, inexpensive, and the user reviews at newegg and a couple other places are all positive.

However I haven't come across a single professional review or comparison.

Is this monitor a safe bet and worth upgrading to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Robolizard! posted:

Where are you seeing low input lag numbers if you haven't found an independent review

I haven't seen specific numbers, I'm saying it based on claims from users who've reviewed it.
I'm assuming now that I shouldn't be basing it on what people claim?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm not sure how familiar this thread is with Nvidia's upcoming Gsync, but for me it sounds like something I would really like to have in my monitor.

I'll soon have money for a new monitor and would like to get either a ASUS VG248QE with Gsync when it comes out early next year, or go for an IPS and get a Dell UltraSharp U2312HM.

I'm having trouble deciding because I'm mainly using my PC for gaming and I don't know whether I would prefer would Asus offers over better colors. I like the idea of better colors/IPS but I also like the idea of Gsync as tearing really annoys me in games.

In my position, which would you guys pick?

Also waiting for those do-it-yourself Gsync kits to come out is out of the question as I don't want to mess around with opening up a monitor.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm irritated that I missed out on the discount at Dell too, oh well. I just bought the same monitor through Newegg for the lower price and also got the 2-year extended warranty which was practically nothing. I hope I made the right choice as I'm not patient enough to wait around for Dell to lower their price again. I'm also hoping that I didn't get the crappy revision people keep mentioning. Hopefully I can exchange it if it is.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So I got a Dell U2312HM from Newegg and it's the revision everyone hates, A00. However, what exactly is wrong with this revision? From what I read it seems like yellow tinting is the issue but I'm not noticing it.
What exactly are the issues with this revision that would be worth my time RMAing it?

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but supposedly this monitor may launch in March: http://www.pcgamer.com/acer-unveil-super-quick-144hz-g-sync-ips-monitor/

A 1440p, 144hz IPS monitor with Gsync? Yes please. Just don't tell me it costs $1k.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I recommend TFT-Central for very complete reviews, but they don't review absolutely everything that hits the market. They are on the ball when it comes to monitor announcements.

Thanks for linking that site.

Looks like the new Acer 1440p 144hz Gsync IPS is going to be ~$790 (699 Euro).

I guess that shouldn't be surprising since the Asus ROG Swift TN panel is like $799.

Maybe the ASUS ROG Swift will come down in pricing because of this.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Transmetropolitan posted:

Hey there. I replaced my old PC and seems fitting to have a good monitor to go along with the new one (if it helps, my current video card is a GTX 970). Demands are pretty basic: gaming, netflix, movies, that kind of stuff.

I don't need major screen real estate - around 23'' is excellent for me - but I have little idea on where to begin to research. The OP is pretty good, but given the lack of updates, I figured it would be better just to ask.

Thanks in advance!

If 23" is all you need I'd go with the OP's recommendation of the Dell U2312HM. It's excellent.
I have that monitor as of about 6 months ago and it's excellent for everything you mentioned, and very affordable.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

dartt posted:

TFT Central has a review of the Acer Predator XB270HU (the Gsync/144Hz/1440p/ULMB IPS-type panel)

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

I want it now god damnit :circlefap:

Here's hoping it isn't $1k.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just curious about monitors with refresh rates above 60hz and if anyone ever feels it looks "odd" to them?
The reason I ask is I live in a rural area, so I can't really test out a 120/144hz monitor in advance, and I happen to have a visual disorder that makes it so certain things look "weird" and if they do I tend to get very anxious.

Anyway, have any of you normal people found the faster movement at all bothersome at any time? Because if so it means I'll have to stay clear of it.

I know this is a strange question. If someone needs to know the exact disorder/condition I can tell you, it's just that it's so poorly understood by the few people that have heard of it, that I avoid mentioning it.

Thanks.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

xthetenth posted:

If you want to try something you might want to see if it looks better or worse at the high and low ends of your framerate. So run something so it can do 60 fps, then turn the setting up so it can only do 30 fps. If it looks weird or more weird at 30 you should be in the clear. *sync and higher framerates should only help, since all it's really doing is filling in gaps between the frames you're seeing now and reducing the inaccuracies in when frames are displayed versus when they should be.

Tried this. 60fps wasn't any more jarring, so maybe 120/144 will be fine for me. Thanks for the idea.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zorilla posted:

I'm guessing some people assume refresh rates would be jarring if they've seen enough TVs that advertise themselves as 120Hz and been put off- those are totally different, though. Those just take a 60Hz signal and apply a smooth motion filter that looks awkward and kind of creepy more often than not.

If the artificial nature of moving on-screen images give you anxiety, I'd wager that higher refresh rates may actually help the problem instead of aggravating it. The closer to human persistence of vision the image becomes, the more natural and realistic it should appear.

Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate.

So I guess I will go for 120/144hz IPS w/ G-Sync or FreeSync (depends what card I get this generation). Hopefully they'll have all this in 10-bit color this generation that don't cost more than say $700.
e: for 1440p that is.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I was wondering if it's possible to find the following for less than $600:

*IPS
*1440p
*Refresh rate over 60hz
*Optionally, but would like it: Gsync

Seems like my only options are $750 TN panels or $1,000+ IPS panels, I was hoping there may be some alternatives that Newegg doesn't have or that I'm missing.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
One of those Korean monitors? No thanks.

Guess I'll be sticking to 1080p 60hz longer than I thought as I can't bring myself to go back to a TN display. Maybe the prices will drop once those 10-bit color monitors supposedly go mainstream this year.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any 10-bit color IPS monitors that do ok for gaming but aren't 4k? I have a Nvidia card and currently have Gsync and like it, but I could easily live without it.
I know Nvidia is being poo poo and insisting on these high-end displays that require extra bells and whistles. I guess what I'm wondering, is for games such as Tomb Raider and Hitman, would I be ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you're looking for a "gaming" IPS then no, nothing on the market yet as far as I know.

There are few enough models of 144/165 Hz IPS monitors on the market as it is - there is really only a single source for the panels that go into these monitors, a company called AU Optronics, and you can have any configuration you want, as long as you want the single configuration they make (I joke, there are two, there is the 34" IPS panel that goes into the X34s too).

Since HDR is an "image quality" feature you'll see it on the 4K monitors first. Maybe there will be newer revisions of the 1440p gaming panels over the next year or so, who knows.

Now that said, if you don't mind the response times typical to 60 Hz IPS panels, Dell does have a 1440p model with HDR. You can game on it, it'll just be 60 Hz, and have a little more ghosting than a 144/165 Hz "gaming" panel would.

edit: Reviews don't seem good though. They speculate it's using the same panel as the U2717D, which was tested by TFT Central. Pay specific attention to the "response times" and "gaming" sections.

Thank you.

I'll wait another year, assuming I'm not going to be grabbed by the balls and required to upgrade to 4k.

BTW, I live your avatar.