Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm thinking about replacing my Dell S2409W.

What's the opinion of the ASUS VG248QE 24", I see it's 1ms response time, able to do 144hz, with, uh, 80 million to 1 contrast ratio? That's gotta be some dynamic thing right? I don't think I'll be using 3D though.

I hear while the stats are good, it's colour isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

[edit] I apparently already asked this, so nm. :)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 19, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Does the Asus Vg248qe lightboost hack work with the PS3?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Huh that's weird, using that strobelight lightboost program stops my audio via hdmi > AVR > speakers. Strange.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

catch22 posted:

Got my Asus VG248QE in the mail this morning, unfortunately I had to go to work so I won't be able to check it out till I get home. Obviously I got it for gaming, though I'd still like to get a 1440 IPS display for browsing/Netflix while I'm playing games on the other monitor. Is having two very different monitors side-by-side like this known to cause headaches or eye strain?

As someone that recently brought a VG248QE, I had a hell of a time adjusting the height. I couldn't even find any youtube videos on how to do it. Seems so simple now that I think about it.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That reminds me, when I use lightboost I loose my audio over GPU > hdmi > AVR > speakers. :confused:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

GPU > DVI > Monitor
v
HDMI
v
AVR
v
Speakers

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Zorilla posted:

I'm not sure how much it would help, but shouldn't it be connected like this anyway?

code:
GPU
v
HDMI
v
AVR > HDMI > Monitor
v
Speakers
Something tells me this might break LightBoost, especially if your A/V receiver's HDMI switching isn't passthrough.

If neither of these work, I would try the first setup, but substitute the HDMI between your graphics card and AVR with S/PDIF from your sound hardware. No reason to use HDMI just for audio.

While my AVR does upto 4k passthrough, I don't think HDMI can do 1080p @ 144hz yet. S/PDIF sounds like a good idea though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Talking about res higher than 1080p, Has anyone had any luck doing that downsample trick with the Asus vg248qe? I can't seem to get it beyond 2880x1620p@60hz. I'd love to get it to 3840x2160.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Jack the Lad posted:

What's this trick? Pretty interested!

If the test fails, lower the hz to 59, if fails again try 58 etc. I'm only using automatic timings, setting them manually lets you have more success. Once a custom res has been saved, it's selectable in most game's option screens. You could also run your desktop at this res but poo poo won't be readable :v:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Nvidia Control Panel, so Nvidia users only I think.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I just remembered, you also need to set this too. (perform scaling on GPU + override scaling mode)

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Today I learned something that should have been common knowledge.

I was getting kinda worried when my GTX 680 was idling at 60c, (140f) My CPU was idling at 35 and my 4 temp probes around the case where at around 25c so I know it wasn't ambient related. I brought a can of compressed air and dusted the inside of everything, I even updated to the latest Beta drivers and nothing helped.

...Turns out going from 2 monitors to 3 monitors causes GTX cards to be unable to enter the idle state. The gently caress, Nvidia, why would it even do that?

Luckily NvidiaInspector fixed the issue. Down to 39c idle from 60c. (39c while sandwiched in SLI)

Skilleddk posted:

edit: I suspect the two "round" parts on the back should be the adjustments but they ain't moving. I don't want to brute force it, I apply strenght and the monitor starts to creak. Don't want to break a brand new 500$ monitor :sigh:

Maybe a little oil to loosen it up a bit on the part that pivots.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 12, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I couldn't really see the stuttering but once they turned vsync off, then span the camera around the whole thing, the tearing on the left (non G-sync) was very obvious while the monitor on the right had no tearing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

wide stance posted:

If someone buys an ASUS VG248QE now, do we have any idea of how much the G-sync upgrade module will cost when it's available?

How's that going to work anyhow? Is there some kinda expansion slot on the monitor? I recently got a VG248QE so really looking forward to G-Sync.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I don't know what an LCD controller board looks like but I'm sure they have stuff like VGA/HDMI connectors etc which this doesn't.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What's the max res and hz of Displayport? I tried googling and I keep getting mixed answers.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Yeah I saw that but if it can do 2160p@60Hz, why does it list 1080p also at 60Hz, and not 1080p@120Hz?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

You know what you must do...

How the gently caress do the first 2 cards even breathe??

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

I tried BF4 beta in windowed 1080p mode and it actually ran worse than full screen 1600p; I suspect a driver issue.

Doesn't SLI only work in full screen?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I have one of those and it's awesome, AFTER calibration. You can easily find a profile file for that monitor.

The best mode is standard, all the others "theatre mode", etc are useless.

Also check out the lightboost hack / stropelight.exe thing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

The VG248QE (and so probably the XL2420TE too) also have great response times in 2g2 and input lag so even if you run it at 60hz it's still a great gaming monitor.

[edit]
How does the PS3 do 3D? 30fps/30fps ?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

One day I'd like to have a 3 monitor setup and while 5760x1080 is cool but I'd rather turn them sideways and do 3240x1920 but with TN panels that's not really an option.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I wonder what ASUS's 4k is like.

The PQ321QE 4K
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-058-AS&groupid=17&catid=1120

£3000! ($4830)

Now...to buy 3 of them for 11520x2160 and 3 Titans (£2700/$4246)

Can I borrow £11700 / $18834 from someone?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Gonkish posted:

So do we have any kind of estimate as to when G-Sync monitors are due out? Last I heard it was ASUS only, and only for their 144Hz monitors, right?

I think G-Sync is going to be game changing but WHY put it on their fastest monitors? Surely the 1600p screens with low FPS would benefit from G-Sync the most?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Also I know for a fact I'm not the only one that brought a new PC monitor because GTAV looked absolutely poo poo on our 1080p big screen TV's. Going from my 50 inch 1080p "slow" tv to a 24 inch 1ms g2g ASUS vg248qe made the game look a ton better.

[edit] Wait, that's not what you're asking I think.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 11, 2013

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm thinking of picking up an Asus PB287Q 4K monitor, everyone has something good to say about it, but I wanna hear some smack talk about it.

What issues and stuff does it have?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I want to buy a Samsung KS8500 for the HDR and while my Denon 2113 has 4k passthrough, it only has HDMI 1.4 with out HDCP 2.2 :(

Am I going to need a new AVR?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Is the Asus PB279Q that much better than the PB278QR to be worth more than double the price?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Currently planning on getting a PB278QR but I also like the specs of the PG279Q with it's 165hz + GSync goodness. My GTX 970 probably can't do 1440p @ 165hz very well (or at all) but I can always buy a better GPU.

My worry is I'll be limited by my 2500k :shobon: I keep flipping between wanting to upgrade this PC and buying a new 8700k 1080Ti system.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

What's up with Displayport not turning on until AFTER booted into windows? What if I need to access bios or boot screen?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

My computer desk is wide enough for just 1 monitor but I want to use a second one for looking up reference material when I'm doing photo/design work.

I have a shelf about 37 inches above my computer desk, and I like the usability of those Vesa arms that clamp to desks and stuff. But do they work upside down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

My center channel speaker is right above the first monitor unfortunately.

Zarin posted:

The arms are typically designed to fight against gravity; upside-down may produce weird results. Or it may not! I'm not really sure, to be honest.

You could always give it a try; worst case, you could return it the same day you open it.

If you're more risk-averse, it looks like you can find some that are designed for ceiling-mount; those would probably behave as desired.

My only caution would be to make sure that the shelf you want to attach it to is secure, and isn't just sitting on some shelf pins, waiting to fall off and crush your face.

Ceiling mount vesa arm? That's something I haven't looked for, thanks :)

[edit]
I could also get a triple monitor stand (non clamp sort) but those sound like it wouldn't be very stable
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Monitor-Ergonomic-Rotation-Dimensions/dp/B01C5Z9R6A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 6, 2018