Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Josh Lyman posted:

I seriously must be the only person in the world who doesn't hate 1080p on a 27" monitor. I actually use SA on it most of the time because the font is so small on my 1440p 27" monitor.

Yeah, I use a 27" 1080p at work and I don't mind it at all. I actually find it much more comfortable to work on than the 17" 1080p display on my laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The GTX 550 has a max resolution of 2560x1600, although that wouldn't explain why you're only getting 1080p.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

That's a Korean import screen. Very popular, hell of a good deal and, believe it or not, an IPS screen. You need to be okay with the screen not being pixel-perfect (may be a few dead subpixels, maybe some backlight bleeding, etc.), and you need a shitload of video card to run the screen at native resolution. Otherwise, enjoy! Join the fairly large club. :)

Why do you say this? I have a GTX 560 Ti, which says it has dual link DVI and a max digital resolution of 2560x1600. I wouldn't think that would count as a shitload of video card, but am I missing something?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ruin Completely posted:

You need twice the performance to get the same settings/framerate at 1440p as you do at 1080p.

Oh I see, yeah I wasn't planning to game on this anyway, not yet at least.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Taima posted:

I'm not hating necessarily, I even had a 27" 1080p a few years ago for a while. Just sayin' that the thread has a less than charitable view on the tech, generally speaking.

I switch between a 27" 1080p and a 24" 1080p at work, and while the 24" is definitely noticeably crisper, for general use (text, web, CAD) I don't prefer one over the other. The extra size is nice on the one, the extra crispness is nice on the other.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I have this monitor, relatively new (I think 1.5 years old at most). Thing went dead on me a week ago and I thought it was the power supply because the brick was dead no matter what I plugged it into. The replacement supply came today, and lights up green like you would expect when plugged into the wall. But when I connect it to the monitor, the monitor is still dead and the power supply makes a slow persistent clicking sound.

Help?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

Sounds like it could be a short somewhere in the monitor because the power brick is behaving like one that is being asked to supply too much current. Of course, it could also be a bad power brick being asked to supply a normal amount of current and not being able to. I think the former is more likely, especially if the old power brick doesn't light up at all.

Yeah that makes sense, when the supply blew it probably overloaded some internal component(s). Argh.

e: Welp, opened it up and there is nothing obviously wrong (no scorch marks, no bulging/broken caps). Can a repair shop even deal with this kind of thing? I assume they would just need to replace the entire PCB.

It feels really lovely throwing away this much electronic waste after a year of use.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 1, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I can't decide between one of the LG ultrawide's (like this), a 32" 4K like this, or a Korean 40" 4k like this, all around the same price.

Completely paralyzed with indecision, I'm sure I'll just end up waiting for the next big thing/next big price drop forever while I continue using my 23" 1080p that's like 5 years old. :suicide:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

space marine todd posted:

I'm in the same place, but I'm just going to wait for the second generation of 40"+ 4k monitors. Nothing in the first generation is super compelling for me right now.

I think I might just bite the bullet on the AMH A399U. Either that or spend a couple hundred more for the Samsung 40" JU6500. I can mimic the widescreen 21:9 if I want on the lower half of a 40" 4K.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

Be aware that this monitor has a plate of tempered glass over the panel. It shows pretty heavy glare in whatever footage I can find of it, so it is most likely not treated with any sort of glare reduction filter.

The next least expensive monitor is the Crossover 44K. Unless I'm mistaken, but I believe this shares the same panel as the AMH and the Philips BDM4065UC, but doesn't have that layer of glass getting in the way like the AMH. I would have had one on my desk by now to show off, but the supplier (EDXglobal) discovered he ran out of stock after I tried to purchase one last week. As of today, he appears to be the only one on Amazon who has restocked, and he sure knows it because it's sitting at $890 right now instead of $680-700.

I wouldn't recommend trying to use a 4K TV as a monitor unless you know for sure it supports DPMS and 4:4:4 chroma and you have a card that can do HDMI 2.0 (GTX 960 or better).

There's a huge thread on another forum (hardforum I think?) with tons of people using the JU6500. Apparently all you have to do to get 4k@60 with acceptable input lag is set it to "pc mode" in the menu.

But yeah, I wish the Crossover was still in stock. I'll probably wait for something similar to hit the $700 range.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

ShredsYouSay posted:

I'm finding it a little difficult to find a Dell U2312HM (from the OP) in any uk site (Amazon or Scan). Has an updated version of this come out or something?

The OP hasn't been updated in over 2 years.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

This review of the AMH A399U pushed me over the edge, ordered it last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o553bTyFElQ

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

Looks as prone to glare as I was afraid it would be. They shot the review in a pretty dark room and you can still see tons of it with the monitor turned on. I am glad to see there is no power brick though, even if it means the cord isn't detachable.

The camera reveals lots of PWM artifacting during the backlight adjustment shots, so that answers that question as well.

There's a seller with the Wasabi Mango 42" on eBay for $800 which is also tempting. I decided I didn't want to wait for the Crossover to come back down in price.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

39" and Above 4K
AMH A399U - $600
Crossover 44K (out of reasonably priced stock) - $680 when last sold by non-insane people

I think the ship has sailed on the Crossover, one eBay seller says they're not getting any more stock because Crossover is releasing a new model that uses a different panel. I emailed dream-seller about their stock but didn't hear back.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

EDXglobal said they were expecting more in Mid-may. Since that message, they restocked and sold out again, so you're probably right.

Let us know how your AMH monitor ends up working out for you when you get it. I'm interested in whether the glare ends up being a hindrance, or if it's no worse than something like an iMac.

I ended up canceling the order because I changed my mind again. :downs:

I realized that having my desk in a Victorian south-facing window (so windows on 3 sides) probably means I should really prioritize anti-glare.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm toying with the idea of getting a three monitor setup in portrait mode, like this:

Does anyone here have experience with something like this? Do games need to support 3 monitors individually or is this handled by the gpu driver? I'm on Nvidia if it matters.

Why not just get one giant 4k or ultra wide?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I ended up getting the AMH A399. I'm very happy with it. 39" is a pretty perfect size for 4k (I think I could have gone up to 42" but whatever), the picture quality is fantastic, and the glare isn't as bad as I expected. The big caveat of course is that it uses PWM, but luckily I don't notice it.

A lot of people in the overclock.net forums are reporting that it's really easy to take the glass off if the glare does bother you. I might consider it at some point. But overall this thing is amazing value at $600.

You can even run it at 3840x1646 to mimic the 21:9 34" ultrawide (with blackbars of course).

e: biggest downside is the speakers, they are horrifically bad. Not useable at all.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 10, 2015

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zorilla posted:

Oooh, and the Crossover 404K just went down to $620. I guess it's still a bit of a toss-up between the Crossover and the AMH if the glass really is that easy to remove, and assuming the housing still somewhat attractive with the glass off. At this point, it's about what's important to you:

Yeah, depending on how the 404K is reviewed, I might take the AMH to work and get a 404K for home.

Another minor con for the AMH is that the power cord is stupidly short. You basically need an outlet or power strip directly below it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bagarthach posted:

I trying to wait for HDM 2.0 (not really sure why though if DP gets me 60Hz at 4k, just don't want a new purchase to be obsolete so soon I guess) but I've had the BenQ BL3201PH, 32" IPS LED 4K Monitor with 32-Inch LED-Lit Screen sitting in my cart for a while and it's getting hard to ignore it lately.

Someone tell me I should wait for a better <$1000 30-32" 4k monitor. Any upcoming products about to hit the street? Just for general use, movies, etc. I'm not much of a gamer, mostly turn based strategy so refresh rates aren't that important.

Why not just get the Crossover 404K discussed above?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

I can't find a review of it via Google -- what am I doing wrong?

I don't think it's out yet so we probably won't see reviews for a few weeks. Just basing it on the previous version of that monitor, and the fact that he says he just wants it for general use.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

suddenlyissoon posted:

So, at $200 this probably isn't something that should be passed up, right?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_...als+LLC-1122587

The last Monoprice monitor I bought died after 14 months (conveniently just outside the 1-year warranty). I would go with a more reputable brand. But that's just my experience of course.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cinara posted:

I have two Monoprice monitors. One had the power brick fail after ~2 years, easy enough to replace though cost $70. When I was looking into it, found quite a few other people having similar issues with them, though the Korean offbrands are using the same power bricks usually so you won't escape it there either. Monitors have been working great though.

That's the same way mine failed, except when the power brick went it took the monitor with it too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

eggyolk posted:

I use a Seiki 40" 4K TV for CAD modeling at work and it's not too bad. Catalyst Control Center lets you set up a grid to snap windows to which makes it feel like 7-8 different sized monitors in one. I keep 60% of it allocated to my main task with different windows for secondary things like e-mail, Windows explorer and PDFs. The colors aren't great, the 30hz refresh rate took getting used to, and the brightness is a little wonky, but from 2-3' away it works like a charm.

Same, except the 39" AMH instead of the Seiki. Having half the screen for CAD with PDFs/email/Word open in the other quadrants is fantastic and the size doesn't feel too big at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Is it the monitor or the OS? This happens with my AMH A399U on Windows, but not Ubuntu.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Is there any reason to prefer glass-panel displays?

Kids in the house?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Green Gloves posted:

So I bought a MG279q for a pretty amazing deal of $280.

Maybe I am tripping but it doesnt seem like the increase in refresh to 144 is that huge of difference compared to the XR341ck. Note I pretty play only Overwatcha atm. Maybe CS or BF makes a bigger impression.

The blb is much better on the MG279q though.

How did you get it for $280?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

I have the AMH A399U and have been super happy with it. My one complaint is that the tempered glass makes glare pretty bad during the day. There are guides for taking the glass off but I never bothered because I mostly use it at night.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fusion Restaurant posted:

What's a good 27 inch 144 hz monitor? It doesn't need to look super stellar, and I'd only be playing at 1920*1080 for the most part anyways. Basically I just want to accurately see where people's heads are and where they are going so I can click on them in FPS's.

Why 27"? I just tried both the Asus VG248QE and the Benq XL2411Z, and 24" is perfect for gaming at 1080p. The Asus had better colors I think, but both are fine for the price.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I've got a Nvidia 970. Do you mean it would look bad because of the size, or is there something specific to the monitor? Right now I play on a 28" at 1080p with everything on low for most games where I care about FPS. I was planning on leaving the monitor at the higher resolution and just setting the game to a lower one. I don't know much about this, so maybe this is a bad idea?

I'm just a lot more used to that size I guess. It does seem like there is a big price premium on the extra few inches though.

I felt like that too, I have dual 27" at work and my home monitor that I was gaming on was a 39" 4k monitor. I was really hesitant to go all the way back down to 24". Turns out, it's totally fine. But it is a personal preference thing, obviously. There's no way I could use it for much other than gaming, it feels incredibly cramped for productivity stuff.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Is there a well-priced 24" ish 1920x1080 monitor that'll do Nvidia 3D Vision? (Theoretically, that just means any 120Hz monitor, right?)

My BenQ XL2411Z has a little Nvidia 3D Vision sticker on the corner. Refurb it was like $230 after taxes and everything and I'm super happy with it. The colors are garbage compared to an IPS though.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Try playing something like Hollow Knight at 144 and then at 60. The difference is astronomical. Although you should be able to pretty readily notice the difference in any first person shooter, too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

TheFluff posted:

????

e: sure, high refresh rate is noticeable, but it's like, not really an improvement??

It makes a huge difference for basically all twitch-reflex games (platformers, shooters, fighting games, etc). For general PC usage I don't care about it at all really.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

bitprophet posted:

I'm also looking to game on a 3440x1440 34" display, but my understanding was that you can use eg NVidia driver software to force games to run at, say, 2560x1440 (presumably also other sizes like 1080p) - is that accurate? (And reliable?)

Not that I'd never try running some games at full native res just for shits and giggles, but in my case the ultrawide aspect is more for my workstation and not my gaming PC.

You can. I have a 4k but for games that support widescreen I run it at 3840x1620 or whatever the ultra wide res is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grey Area posted:

I've seen people talking about using a 40" 4k TV as a cheap large computer monitor. Is this a bad idea?

Things I care about :
* Easy to read lots of text/code
* Linux support ( mostly Ubuntu )
* Price < €500 incl VAT

Things I don't care about
* games

So far I've learned I should be looking for an IPS screen to avoid viewing angle problems when sitting close to a big screen, and to avoid LG because RGBW pixels make text blurry.

Any other things I should take into account?

I'm not sure what the equivalent would be now, but I've been using the 39" 4k AMH A399U for a few years now, it was around $550 when I got it. Realistically I only use about 1/3 of the screen for productivity/web browsing, but I love the versatility of being able to use it as a big screen media interface and being able to set it to ultra wide screen when needed.