Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So I've been gaming on my ultra wide monitor (IPS for editing) for a while now and the 60hz is starting to annoy me, I'm looking at a 140hz gaming monitor but I'm really not sure if I should be sticking to 1080p for max fps or going 1440p, is G-sync worth it? my rig is pretty good but I do like to run games at ultra if I can so that could impact things

specs are 1070ti 8GB (oc) 32gb DDR4, 8700k (OC to 5.1)

My options are pretty much limited to what's at my local shop, can anyone make any recommendations? I'm not super set on brands and budget preferably under $1k

https://www.ple.com.au/Categories/Monitors/Gaming-Monitors/120Hz-and-Above

Bang3r fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

il serpente cosmico posted:

If I were you, I'd get an Acer Predator XB271HU or the ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q. They are both 144hz (overclockable to 165hz) 1440p IPS monitors with GSYNC.

Those look like good choices, the swift just bloody sold out at the store (it was in stock when i was looking this morning) so maybe I'll wait? the other one looks a bit.. garish to me!

with my current monitor I'm running things at 2560x1080 at ultra (for the most part) and I get 100+fps on all the games I'm currently playing (Bf1, destiny2, blackops 4) but I could definitely see it dropping down a bit going higher with the res, I'm sure I'll update when the 20 series of cards prices go down so looking for the future is a good call.