Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Someday we'll look back on these comments with fondness, as we all grumble that we're only getting 60Hz on our 24" 4K displays instead of 120Hz or whatever.
"Where's the 5160x2160 ultrawide displays :argh:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DrDork posted:

Ugh. Only 2160 vertical lines. When will they put out some x2400 Master Race monitors again?
I thought about 2400 at first but went with 2160 hoping someone else would follow up on it :hfive:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was just about to say "Pretty sure they'd be more than slightly more expensive" :v:

japtor fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 27, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Well it has multiple inputs so you could treat it as two separate hardware displays, although I don't know if it'll give the proper resolution as an option, or if it could be forced. Course then using the screen as a single screen might be an issue then if some software doesn't span properly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Spiderjelly posted:

I'd like to get a second monitor for reading webpages and working on MS Word documents in portrait mode. I do most of my work in Word, so ideally, I'd like a monitor that can display documents up to A4 size in a 1:1 ratio, along with all the Word toolbars. In other words, I want to be able to see on the screen a life-sized version of what would be printed out, without scrolling. What do I need to accomplish this?
I guess test out different screen sizes over here and see what can fit an A4 sized box on screen with some buffer space for the other UI bits. It's a matter of software after that, whether Word (and or the OS) can scale things to properly show things 1:1 with the real page with a given PPI.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
There's DisplayPort hubs now apparently, but hell if I know if they'll work with your machine.

vvvvv didn't even know daisy chainable DP monitors have been out :doh:

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 3, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Just double checked and it's the U2414H that can daisy chain, not the P2414H. So yeah you'd still need a hub and cross your fingers if you want to try the native DP route. Or maybe you can buy the U and hook up the P to that? (But still need crossing of fingers cause I have no clue if DP daisy chaining works on your MBA.

japtor fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 3, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

teagone posted:

Ahh ok, so I'd have to buy something like this? http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Complian...displayport+hub
Theoretically yes, but again I have no clue if it'll work. Didn't even know DP hubs finally came out!

I'd ask over in the Mac hardware thread to see if anyone else knows for sure, although I don't think I've ever seen DP hubs mentioned in there. People get the retina MBPs now for multi display output :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Kinda sounds like Pentile to me v:shobon:v

Didn't know it was used in laptops though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah a few of us have mentioned that screen now and then over the last few pages, Dell has one coming too btw. In my case i want more space (...which I can get with 1440p cause I'm coming from 1920x1200) but don't really want multiple screens, or have to deal with UI scaling to make a 4K display usable on a smaller display* (which would also reduce the effective workspace anyway). And according to a thread over on MacRumors, some guy with an iMac showed it working over Thunderbolt 1 at full resolution and refresh, so presumably/hopefully that means it works over DisplayPort 1.1 too. Not a huge deal but a nice plus for anyone with older machines/video cards without 4K support.

*I may take that back if 5120x2160 screens come out and I get a beefy enough computer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

I am so confused about what to buy right now. I hate matte screen coatings but love the 34 inch 21:9 aspect ratio monitors but there are no glossy ones on the horizon.

On the other hand the new 32inch AH-VA monitors (from BENQ and ACER) are semi-glossy (apparently), have a less desirable aspect ratio yet still have a nice 2560x1440 resolution.

Edit: Whether the PBP mode on the 21:9 monitors does 1:1 pixel mapping might seal the deal. I would love to have a mac and windows pc connected to the same monitor whilst sharing the mouse cursor seamlessly between screens with the http://www.j5create.com/our-products/wormhole-switches/juc100.html
Been following a thread on Ars about the 34 and asked about the matte a few days ago, the guys that have it say it's a really fine matte. One guy put up some pics for comparison with a Samsung tablet and Dell U2412M.

And this post is really interesting. Guy says it works as a KVM with Thunderbolt connected to his Mac and USB on his PC (with a driver is the PC doesn't freak out when switching apparently).

Also the US page is up, with $999 as the MSRP. If you have a Fry's nearby they might have it in stock (my local one in CA does) and hopefully on display.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

I've not found a window management software solution that didn't slow down my startup, but I haven't tried Winsplit. It seems a bit unnecessary, as 1080 vert pixels makes for a tight environment already -- I couldn't imagine trying to squeeze another screen on top of another.

Don't know if anyone covered this, but I saw this 25" 21:9 IPS at Fry's; the pixel density is drat near perfect, although a smaller 21:9 might feel cramped to some users. I thought it was great. If I didn't have my 29 inch one by now, I would have thought about picking this up today.
I think I just saw this at a Costco for $219 marked down from $250, not sure if that's a nationwide thing or varies by location though. They have it online for the $250 price.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Vaguely similar situation here with a TV on an HTPC, seems like the PC reverts to 640x480 or thereabouts when the TV turns off and doesn't return to 1080p when turned on, unless I exit Windows Media Center and go to the desktop. Is there a way to lock output via software or is the only way a receiver or one of those HDMI dongle things?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

If you need a ups many of them have this functionality as well.
Yeah...although to buy a UPS with enough power you'd want to know what your setup needs beforehand, so a bit of a chicken and egg situation there. You can ballpark it if you look up the specs of all your hardware at least. Or just look for deals on the most wattage and (hopefully) enjoy the fruits of excessive runtime when power goes out.

As far as the original question of plugging in stuff without enough plugs, I have a UPS with power strips*, some on battery backed ports and others on plain surge protected ports. Important stuff that'd screw up (or necessary for use like display/network stuff) when power dies goes on battery backed up strips, non vital stuff/dumb devices like speakers just get surge protection to leave as much battery as possible for the important stuff.

*Technically "relocatable power taps" going by the UL label, they're the cheap type of power strip. Surge protectors ("surge suppressors"?) cause problems when used with a UPS.

edit, re: calibrators, I've heard you can rent them out from some camera/photo places so maybe look into that if you just want to calibrate a bunch of stuff one day and don't have a use beyond that.

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 27, 2014

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Smeed posted:

This thing looks awesome. What did it cost? I've seen an MSRP of $1500 as well as online for $999 but out of stock. I've been underwhelmed with my U2412.
The MSRP is $999 according to LG's page. If you click the "where to buy" link it'll show local places (just gives a bunch of Fry's locations here) and a link to Adorama, anyone buy there before? They have it for $899 right now apparently.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
That reminds me of something I was wondering about. Someone (maybe you?) mentioned something like not needing to deal with profiles on a hardware calibrated display. How's that work on a Mac since I think there's always one selected, do you just use one of the "generic" profiles?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:
http://www.cnet.com/news/intel-to-deliver-cheaper-4k-monitors-thanks-to-samsung-partnership/

quote:

Intel is specifically partnering with Samsung to increase delivery on high-quality, 23.6-inch PLS 4K panels, with a stated aim of such monitors hitting a US$399 (£239, AU$430) price point. For Intel based All-in-Ones, Intel believes we will also see 4K All-in-One prices starting from US$999 (£599, AU$1,080). This is around half the typical current price of 4K IPS and PLS monitors. These PLS, or Plane to Line Switching, monitors are very high-quality, with 100 percent sRGB coverage and Technicolor certification.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I figure it's better than WQUXVGA or whatever the hell that stuff is up to now.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
^^^^^ neat! it didn't know they made stuff under $100, last I looked way back everything was like $150+

kode54 posted:

So, after tweaking around in an unsatisfactory manner with built-in presets and default settings and manually eyeballing OS X color calibration in Expert mode, I think it's high time I get a calibrator device instead, particularly one which will last me a while.
Is OS X recognizing it as a TV instead of display by any chance? I've heard of it doing that and screwing up the color space or something but I forget how to tell. Might want to look into that and the fix just in case before splurging on a calibrator.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Right, keep it mind the whole part about it needing Thunderbolt for one of the machines. Otherwise there's this old one I just found:

http://techreport.com/news/20569/30-inch-nec-monitor-boasts-built-in-kvm-functionality

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apparently Intel has the same crazy idea if this is true:
http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/21/thunderbolt-third-generation-details/

100W :psyduck: and new thinner form factor :argh: (I was hoping mini DP would be tiny enough to stick around a long rear end time)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anandtech reviewed the 34UM95: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8057/lg-34um95-monitor-review

tl;dr color was good but thrown off a bit in the corners cause the weak backlight uniformity there, low input lag, 1440p ultrawides are cool. No internal LUT according to them though, which contradicts that guy from a while back. I asked about it in the comments for confirmation just in case though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
From what I can find that card has 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 DP…so yeah you should be fine going HDMI on both as long as you have one adapter/cable for either DVI or DP to HDMI.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fletcher posted:

Occasionally my Dell U2312HM will start doing this weird distorted ripple effect out of nowhere for a few seconds (which makes my eyes bleed trying to focus on text) and then the screen will briefly go completely black before coming back and looking normal again. Any idea what might be causing that?
That kinda sounds like auto adjust on some other LCDs I've used (way back at least), if it's like that it should only happen when turning on or switching resolutions I think. My wild guess would be something with the cable and/or connection at either end, I'd try replugging the cable and making sure it's secure first, or just swap the cable entirely to see if that does the trick.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
And Adorama.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The only TB ones I can think of are the Apple and LG ones, both around $1000 rather than $250, I don't know of any 1080p ones. A TB dock by itself is around $200 to start, but I guess then you could use that for the display connection if that's what you meant, although that's still essentially doubling your budget.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Malkar posted:

Just updated my AMD drivers and all of the sudden my Qnix stopped working. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Red flashing light, no display. AMD pretends to recognize it, showing a dual-DVI in "Detect Displays", but there aren't any options, and Windows doesn't seem to notice it at all.
Got any other machines to test it out with?

El Scotch posted:

IIRC you can only do 60hz 4k over DP 1.2+, and the MBP doesn't have display port (thunderbolt and HDMI only). If you're happy with a 30hz 4k you have options depending on how much you want to spend/use it for.
Thunderbolt 2 uses DP 1.2, so it's just a matter of which MBP they have. Well one more thing, there might be display limitations when using multiple screens, specifically with a 4K one in the mix.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

frenziedslacker posted:

Which MBP do you have? The only 2 Macs that have official 4k@60hz are the rMBP 15 and the Mac Pro. That said, I have a UP2414Q and it works great on a 15 rMBP- it automatically sets the display as hiDPI so the screen looks like 1080p, but you can bump up the total resolution if you prefer. Only trouble is that I couldn't get a second screen working via the other thunderbolt port, I had to use the HDMI. No idea if it being a TB display would change any of that. If you want to use both your TB display and a 4k display you might need to wait for non-MST displays to ship.
That's the type of limitation I was thinking of. I think the issue is a 2 DP stream (or whatever the terminology is in that context) limitation with the 2 TB ports likely sharing a bus. The Mac Pro has a similar thing going on iirc, 6 ports but for you can only connect 3 4K displays and they have to be plugged in to ports corresponding to separate buses.

Non MST might help although depending on resolution it could be pushing TB2 bandwidth limits when paired with a 1440p screen (they'll be under 20Gb combined but I don't know about the real world overhead for it).

El Scotch posted:

Oh, I know thunderbolt can do it, but I don't know of any 4k thunderbolt displays.
(efb) Correct, hell I think the only TB displays are Apple's old rear end one and the recent LG superwide (and iMac under target display mode if that counts). I meant to say that TB also functions as a plain ol (mini) DP port in reply to your post saying MBPs don't have DP (...unless I misunderstood and you were talking about TB for daisy chaining or needing an extra port, but retina MBPs have 2 TB ports).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

I've never used a curved monitor. I wonder if I'd like it
Same here, mostly curious about ideal viewing distance and I guess if the distortion would be noticeable for regular computer stuff like all the straight line elements.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

So I'm buying a fancy new laptop (probably a Sager Np9377) and am thinking about getting a secondary display, one that you plug into the USB socket I guess? Or thunderbolt or HDMI I don't know. There are some cheap-ish17" displays on Amazon, is there any you'd recommend? Portable (so not a real monitor with a non-detachable stand) is preferable.

Edit: perhaps something like this? http://www.amazon.com/AOC-e1659Fwu-16-Inch-USB-Powered-Portable/dp/B00CMKOVMO/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408538556&sr=1-4
What do you plan to use the display for? I ask cause there's going to be some latency with USB based ones.

Not sure how many other options there are but when I searched for portable HDMI display this one came up:
http://www.amazon.com/GeChic-ON-LAP-Portable-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00H4MWMWQ/
Seems like a regular HDMI screen but with USB for power.

1gnoirents posted:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS32D85KTSR/ZA just get these. maybe he will be satiated by the fact its 32 inches and isnt a poor brand (despite being cheaper)

(also kind of want it)
But they're in a war with Apple in phones
:qqsay:

If he's willing to shell out for Apple displays I'd go for the LG superwide as suggested. It's even got Thunderbolt and the USB ports (and I think speakers) work through it like the Apple TB display. And over a million extra pixels of space to work with. Course it's relatively new and some early adopters have had issues, but I haven't kept up to see how the rev B models are doing. And hell if I know how LG's support is.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

LG is probably a lower tier brand than Dell.

I mean they make washing machines. Who wants a monitor from the Maytag man?
What about the Dell dude?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

McDeth posted:

The only problem with the super-wide displays is that these users are already operating with 27-inch iMac's. While tacking on an additional 3440 pixles of horizontal screen real estate (for a total of 6,000 horizontal pixles) SOUNDS awesome, I already have issues craning my neck using with 2x 27 Apple Cinema Displays. I duno, it sounds pedantic but I think we'd have people out with neck injuries, lol.

I checked out the 29-inch superwides, but the vertical resolution doesn't seem tall enough to justify them.
Some people have mentioned moving to the single 34" from two 27"s, no clue if that's viable for what you guys are doing but it might be worth looking into. And yeah the smaller ones are pointless since it's basically just vertically chopped down to 1080 from the usual 1440p resolution.

quote:

All 4 of the monitors were outside of Apples standard 1-year warranty. Of course we didn't spring for Applecare on these monitors because it was too expensive. Let that sink in and feel the rage I do on a daily basis.
Can you even get AppleCare on displays alone? I remember you could only buy it when buying a computer with it before.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

McDeth posted:

Yup, as outlined below

GG Apple.
So yeah you got a 4K display for a machine that can't support it. Well you might be able to get it to work at 4K, but only at 30hz. My wild guess is that you'll have to tweak some setting on the display for that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Drogadon posted:

It's not 1080p though, it's 2560 x 1080.

I really like the idea of ultra wides but I definitely need to see it in a store before ordering it and the Dell store here is terrible so will probably have to wait until the next time I'm in the US
The main issue for me with them is just the existence of 2560x1440 monitors. Like it's an ultrawide yeah, but it's also basically just a cut down 1440p display. If my only choices were vs other 1080p displays (cause price I guess?) I'd go for it though.

DrDork posted:

As much as NVidia hates it, I simply can't see how G-Sync is going to make any sense going forward. Why go to the expense of an actual hardware based solution when what you're trying to do can be effectively achieved in software simply by getting all the players to agree to enable it?
I figure cause early adopter gamers eat that poo poo up and Nvidia will take any advantage they can get, even if it's only temporary. And the more early adoption they get the longer it'll extend their temporary advantage.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Drogadon posted:

Oh god this is twice as much as I was planning to spend but :swoon:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-34UM95-34-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B00JR6GCZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409693373&sr=8-1&keywords=lg+34+um95

Any ideas if there are stores in the US where I could see one in person before I pull the trigger? Best buy or something? I will be in Chicago next week.
I assumed you already knew about it but didn't mention/consider it cause the price :v:. I've heard Frys carries them...but it doesn't look like their location "near" Chicago (30 minutes away) has them in stock.

There's curved ones on the way from both LG and Dell, and I think AOC was another one that announced their flat one a while ago.

Rotation Confusion posted:

Well the UM95 was suddenly (I think) $999 on Newegg when I checked tonight so got that instead. Deffo worth a 50% premium
$999 is the MSRP :eng101:. A few places had it for $899 a while ago actually.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rotation Confusion posted:

huh, amazon has it for a lot more than that. Well still quite happy to buy it at that price regardless.
Could try bitching at customer support about the high price. Maybe they were pricing off their third party sellers (which were way high before) and just taking the extra profits while they can.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
5120x2880 is officially a thing :getin:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/dell-previews-27inch-5k-ultrasharp-monitor-5120x2880

Now to wait for 6880x2880 ultrawides

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

27" or die. :colbert:
You want 5K at that size :colbert:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For someone like me that's cheap and wants more space than his old 1920x1200 display, are 2560x1080 screens the best deal as far as pixels for the price? (Other than 1440p eBay brands that is). Costco has the 25" LG for $250, particularly tempting if/when they discount it further like they've done in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

Going from 1200 vertical pixels to 1080, you might end up missing the extra height more than you like the additional width, especially if you are after "more space."
Yeah I was concerned about that but seemed ok when I mocked it up. Only considering the 25” out of the 1080p ones cause at the prices for the bigger sizes I might as well get a 1440p screen...and I'd just say gently caress it and splurge for the 34" superwide at that point.