Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Awww....look how OHMYGODMYHAND!
I'm looking to splurge on a 1080 Ti and wanted to get a higher res monitor than 1920x1080p to match it. I play a ton of games but less shooters nowadays, and honestly am looking more for great visuals at a great frame rate more than razors-edge response time. Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is where we ask your price range, but seeing as you're buying a 1080Ti, everyone's just going to say "buy an Alienware 34" Widescreen."

4K "Gaming" monitors just aren't ready for primetime yet (both Acer and ASUS have delayed their high-refresh 4K IPS offerings), but who knows what's going to get announced at CES.

I should note also that I *reported* it as a cluster of bad pixels, but was never called out on it, so :v:

The replacement 2412M is still humming along, and it was even a later revision (my original was A00) that allows me to switch seamlessly between the DVI and DP ports (A00 had an ~issue~ with that).

Fair enough! My budget actually would be more in the $300-$500 price range. I'm getting the 1080 Ti as part of an upgrade for better performance with my HTC Vive. I've been using this monitor for gaming for awhile and have been happy with it, but now that I'm going to have a lot more graphics horsepower I'd like to take advantage of it for non-VR as well.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

S2716DG is fantastic if you can snag it for $350. I wouldn't pay more than $100 extra for an IPS.

Darn, looks like they're store pickup only now and out of stock everywhere.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

Scholtz posted:

I have a spare REV A04 SG2716DG if you happen to be near 48197, haha

No luck there! But I appreciate the offer, that would have been perfect! Looks like I missed the Dell offer as well. Hopefully they come back around for Cyber Monday.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Costco has the Samsung U28E510D for $270. It says it has 1ms response time although it's 60hz. How would that work for gaming or has 60hz become no longer enough?

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005

Elentor posted:

I think everyone benefits from >60hz but there are very few situations where it's "not enough". There are bigger hindrances in a non-gaming IPS monitor (like severe motion blur and sometimes crazy high response time) than the Hz but gaming IPS monitors can be super expensive. With that said if you'll buy a TN for gaming yeah, you'll probably enjoy yourself a lot more if you at least buy a high refresh rate one.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll wait till Cyber Monday to see if a better refresh rate monitor goes on sale. The FreeSync on the Samsung also wouldn't help me as much with an NVIDIA GPU.

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Well for anyone else who had missed the $350 deal, Best Buy has the 1440p 144hz Dell S2716DGR - 27" LED QHD GSync Monitor back in stock for $399 with free shipping!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyPitbull
Dec 10, 2005
Trying to help a friend out to find a new monitor, they mostly use their computer for writing/working and occasionally drawing as their primary display has stylus input. They are looking to replace a very-old second monitor they use mostly for displaying reference items/pictures and watching youtube videos while they work. We did some shopping around in stores, and they didn't like most of the display monitors, but a store had one of these Dell All-In-One computers set up that they loved the display on. Is there a way to find a similar Dell or other brand monitor with the same type of display? https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-5RZM2

Other than that, looking for a good second monitor with good color for watching videos or using art reference pictures. Right now they don't really do any gaming on this computer; they're using on-board video for now although a friend is returning them a GTX 970 in a few weeks they may put in the computer.

Budget is in the range of $300!

Thanks!