Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Looking to buy a 23 or 24" 1080p monitor, PC is used exclusively for gaming.

I've got a GTX 760 which does well at 1080p60 for everything I've been playing, so my first instinct was to just get one of the ~$200 Dell or ASUS IPS monitors and call it a day.

Then I started reading about 144Hz and LightBoost and everything and while I'm no pro CS gamer I do play a fair amount of FPS and action games. Now I'm considering the $250 ASUS VG248QE 144Hz display and sacrificing image quality for higher framerates. I'd also likely need to buy a second $250 760 for SLI in order to get 100+ FPS in the more demanding games, and hope that everything I play scales well with SLI. (I might also be able to get by with my single 760 for a while as I catch up on older games so I could spread out the expense somewhat.)

Over the past decade I've always preferred to turn down graphics settings for sake of maintaing a solid 60 FPS framerate so going to 144Hz seems like the next logical step, but is it worth the additional expense ($500 144Hz monitor + second video card vs. $200 IPS monitor) and worse image quality of a TN panel?

Maybe the best course of action is buy the 144Hz monitor, see how I like playing some older games at 120/144 FPS on my single 760, and then deciding to double down with SLI or return the monitor and buy an IPS instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Does this mean my PlayStation Vita screen is going to dissolve into a puddle of goo in a year or two?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I thought I read somewhere that ASUS makes 23/24" IPS displays that use the same panel as the Dell UltraSharps, but I can't for the life of me figure out which ASUS models use those panels.

If I'm buying an ASUS IPS exclusively for gaming do I want the PB238Q, MX239H, VS24AH-P, VG23AH or VN248H? They all seem to have about the same specs.

The VG series looks to be the "gaming" model, comes with 3D glasses and is also the cheapest at $170 so I'm leaning towards that one.

edit: apparently the passive 3D on the VG23AH creates visible horizontal lines in 2D mode so I probably will be avoiding that one.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 9, 2013

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Newegg has the ASUS VG248QE (the 144Hz one) for $240 until September 4, I know Gonkish was looking at this at one point.

I'm pretty tempted to get one myself but I'll probably just stick with keeping my PC hooked up to the TV for the time being.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Coredump posted:

I used an HDTV for a monitor for years, worked great.

I'm using a 54" plasma as my monitor now while I play through a bunch of cross-platform games with a wireless gamepad and it's totally fine. It does suck for trying to read text but I mostly just boot directly into Steam's Big Picture mode these days.

It's also a nice preview of what console game graphics will look like in the year 2020.

The downside is that I can't really play anything that's not a cross-platform port with controller support. But, I have enough of those games in my backlog that for the time being I'm OK not being able to play Diablo 3, Starcraft, Guild Wars 2, etc.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 19, 2013

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Newegg has the two most popular 24" 144Hz monitors on sale:

$240 ASUS VG248QE
$300 Benq XL2420TE

I can't figure out which one to get, or if I should wait a while and see how the whole g-sync thing plays out. The ASUS is cheaper, has the option to add the g-sync module down the road, but it seems like the Benq has better image quality and doesn't use PWM backlighting.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I received the new Benq BL2710 27" 1440p monitor today, and it is awesome. I'm replacing a Thunderbolt display because I got tired of the ridiculous mirror-like finish on that screen and its limited/outdated inputs.

The Benq has a beautiful matte screen with a light anti-glare coating, no PWM and "flicker free" backlighting, USB 3.0 ports, speakers/headphone jack, height/tilt adjustable stand, an ambient light sensor for auto-dimming brightness, and a multitude of inputs. It's even got a hook on the back to hang your headphones from.

Apparently this is not an IPS monitor but an AMVA, though it seems to share the same benefits that IPS panels have vs. TN in terms of viewing angles, color reproduction, etc. Here is a :words: review of the Benq BL2710: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl2710pt.htm

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Josh Lyman posted:

I tried out Bioshock Infinite for the first time since I finally have a video card (7970 GHz Edition) that can play it on my 27" Korean and now I have a headache, possibly motion sickness. Has anyone else experienced this with a large monitor?

I tend to get motion sick easily but have had pretty good results using an fov of 100 for fps games at 1440p on a 27".

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Mr. Hand posted:

IPS glow or backlight bleeding?

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/PG279Q-b.jpg

This is the announced PG279Q.

Someday we'll look back on IPS glow and laugh that monitors weren't displaying black areas as black.. right?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Digital Jesus posted:

Noticed some freaking INTENSE IPS glow on my 34UC97 last night. I don't know if it's gotten worse since I got it or if I've just not noticed it somehow, but playing Rust last night it was really bad.

Wow, that's pretty severe and a lot worse than the glow I see on my 34UM95.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

How big is the difference between a 100Hz and 144Hz G-SYNC monitor? Are there diminishing returns once you start going beyond 100Hz or is it a case of "the more frames, the better"?

I'm trying to decide if a 100Hz 3440x1440 or 144Hz 2560x1440 would be the better upgrade (from an LG 34UM95) and I've never used a monitor with G-SYNC or higher than a 60hz panel.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Frame rates are inversely proportional to perceived motion blur. The higher the refresh rate of a monitor, the better it is at producing more complete images per second, and the less time your eyes have to make do with tracking an object in motion in reduced quality.

If you don't play a lot of games where identifying stuff flying across your screen helps you win, then don't worry about it.

I mostly play single player, third person action / RPGs, not twitch FPS games, so I'm leaning towards sticking with 3440x1440 and sacrificing FPS over 100 to do so.

Going back to 2560x1440 feels strangely claustrophobic after getting used to the 21:9 aspect ratio. Even something like GTA V feels a lot less cinematic when I go back to playing it at 16:9.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm really impressed by the picture quality on my LG 34UM95, but I think I'm ready to go back to a real gaming monitor. I've written about this a few times in the thread already but the monitor's response times are just too slow for the super twitch gaming that I do. The tearing is god awful and very distracting without v-sync on, and at 3440x1440 even with a 980 ti I can't guarantee I'm gonna always be above 60 fps for v-sync when keeping the eye candy on. Even when just playing TF2, with my high mouse sensitivity the monitor cannot display fast enough to keep up with fast spins, etc. Not enough games I play support the full 3440x1440 properly, either (mostly Valve titles and for good reason, but it sucks). I'm gonna pick up a G-sync monitor, compare the two directly and then return/sell one. I'll probably just Craigslist the 34UM95 since I didn't keep the huge box for it, but if I do put it up on SA mart I'll link here for first dibs.

I've been following the thread so afaik I should be waiting for a few months for the new crop of g-sync monitors to be released.

Sup 34UM95 / 980 Ti buddy. I've actually found that an overclocked 980 Ti can handle just about anything other than Witcher 3 Ultra at 3440x1440; even GTA V with everything on High runs well. But I do share a lot of the same gripes about using the 34UM95 as a gaming monitor.

Valve and Blizzard games (other than WoW which works great) being locked to 16:9 is a drag. NBA 2K15 doesn't have any ultrawide support either. Having to use hacks like Flawless Widescreen to enable/fix 21:9 for games like Mass Effect 3 and The Witcher 2 leaves a bad taste in my mouth. But I will say that I have had a pretty high success rate of games that I've been wanting to play having native support for 21:9, probably better than 75%.

I don't play many twitch games so the response time isn't as big of a problem for me as it sounds like it is for you but it does kind of suck feeling like I'm living with tradeoffs on a $750 monitor.

It's a tough call because when 21:9 works I feel like pretty much any game is more enjoyable at 3440x1440 than 2560x1440; I've been playing BioShock Infinite, Dishonored, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, and Civ V lately and they all benefit from the wider screen and I have a hard time going back to 2560x1440 (I still have a 27" Benq sitting around). Upgrading from a 970 to an overclocked 980 Ti has pretty much negated the performance argument (I used to justify sticking to 1080p or 1440p because the 970 had trouble with some games at 3440x1440). But there is something nice in knowing that a 2560x1440 monitor is going to support every game and be one less thing to worry about.

I guess in the end I have decided that 3440x1440 works enough of the time that the ultrawide experience makes it worth it to me to deal with using widescreen hacks or dealing with pillarboxed 16:9 games for the handful of titles that don't support it. I guess that living with hacks and games being locked to 16:9 just comes with the territory of owning an ultrawide monitor right now.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Is it ever worth trying to sell/ship a used monitor on eBay or should I just stick with Craiglist / local sales?

I have a 1.5 year old 1440p 27" Benq that I'd like to get rid of but I didn't keep the original box; I think that places like UPS Stores and FedEx/Kinko's can wrap/package a monitor but I'm guessing that wouldn't be cheap on top of whatever the shipping price would be.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

necrobobsledder posted:

The actual action and in-game content is a full 21:9 in Witcher 3 but the 2D pictures and raster artwork are all boxed in at 16:9 with black bars on the sides. It's not how I remember things going for Witcher 2 but I'm pretty happy with it despite only playing at 2560x1080 on my 34UM95-P

I'm in the middle of playing Witcher 2 on a 34UM95, it has no 21:9 support but gameplay can be forced into 21:9 via Flawless Widescreen (not totally seamless because it applies some annoying horizontal stretching to things like subtitles and NPC names). Cutscenes are left at 16:9 and the UI remains where it would be if you were playing at 2560x1440. Honestly, I end up just playing it at 2560x1440 more often than not.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Etrips posted:

Any have any recommendations on a quality desk arm mount?

I got this $35 one from Amazon after seeing it recommended all over the place and it's been great for my 34" LG. I don't think I can ever go back to a built-in monitor stand now.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Spatial posted:

Are the QC issues with the Acer XB271HU resolved? Can I buy it and not have to return it 10 times?

It's bonus time so... :getin:

I bought an XB271HU on Monday, received it yesterday. Sample size of one but I have no dead pixels/dust/etc. and don't notice any backlight bleed, just normal IPS glow in the corners.

Within 10 minutes of playing Overwatch and Rocket League at 144Hz I decided there was no going back to 60Hz for PC gaming ever again.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 3, 2016

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Not sure if this is a question for here or the GPU thread but I'm using a 144Hz / g-sync monitor for the first time and not sure how to manage my FPS settings in games that don't provide their own framerate limiting.

Should I be using something like MSI Afterburner to cap fps around 135? I read that it's best to keep your in-game FPS around 5-10 below your monitor's max so that g-sync can do its thing. I assume it's bad to just run uncapped and let older games like Dishonored end up running around 200 FPS because that's just putting unnecessary load on my GPU, right?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I just realized there are people who have never had a CRT monitor and never known anything above 60 fps (rip 100hz 16x12 Trinitron) and it is making me feel :corsair:

I was on CRTs from 1989-2004 and don't think any of them were capable of doing over 60Hz.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

HalloKitty posted:

What the hell? You must have had literally the world's worst CRTs, or ran them at such high resolutions that they couldn't go any higher than 60Hz.

I honestly find 60Hz CRTs unusable - they flicker way too much, very unpleasant on the eyes. That effect is much diminished at 72/75, but only becomes solid for me at 85.

Seems I just have a bad memory/forgot how CRTs worked.

My last one was a late-90s Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 19" which apparently did 640x480@160Hz up to 1600x1200@75Hz. I think I mostly ran it at 1280x1024@85Hz.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

X34P is up for sale at Newegg and Acer sites in the US. From what I gather it’s slightly better than the Alienware 34” because the Acer has adjustable gamma, 8bit+frc color, and speakers.

Due to potential panel lottery issues and Newegg’s nightmarish customer service I’m holding out for Amazon.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 25, 2018

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I got an Acer X34P in today (same panel as the 34" Alienware). I have a gaming PC and a Mac laptop and had been using a 34" LG Ultrawide for work and an Acer XB271HU for gaming but have always felt silly having two separate desks/monitors and wanted to consolidate.

X34P seems like the best of both worlds so far, I get to keep the 34" IPS panel for work but now it's curved and it runs at 120Hz with G-SYNC for gaming.

It's frustrating to only have 1 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI input on these things considering the $1,000+ price point. I had hoped by now that the G-SYNC modules would be a little more flexible. Even just having two DP inputs would be better, because right now I have to use HDMI with my MacBook (via a mini DisplayPort -> HDMI 2.0 adapter) and it's limited to 50Hz. When I use a mini DisplayPort -> DisplayPort cable I'm able to run at 120Hz in macOS, but I'm not willing to switch the cables back and forth all the time and there don't seem to be any good DisplayPort switches/KVMs on the market.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

FBS posted:

That god damned AW3418DW sold out everywhere on the Internet all at once as soon as I placed my Dell.com order, and instead of fading away over the weeks til delivery, my desire has only grown since then. Dell had better get a bunch of re-stock in soon or I'm going to lose my mind. And it's STILL on sale on their website, which is making me paranoid. I've already missed a chance to buy it from Amazon instead for just a few bucks more. Now Micro Center is teasing me with the ASUS PG348Q at the same $1k price.

I don't have a goal for this post I just want to vent about my raging consumerism

Microcenter had the Alienware for $1k as recently as yesterday, and the Acer X34P is $1.1k at Newegg/Acer.com.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

FBS posted:

I placed my AW3418DW order on Dell.com on 1/31, but both Amazon and Micro Center managed to sell out and get re-stocked since then without a twitch from Dell's 2/28 estimated delivery. Micro Center still had it for $1k so I ate the $50 difference and brought it home tonight.

The backlight bleed was about what I expected from photos; obvious on a black screen but nothing I really notice in fullscreen 21:9 content. What I do notice is a dim shadow across the top of the screen that extends about 10-15 pixels from the top. It looks like a Photoshop gradient fill from black-to-transparent at about 10% transparency applied to the top of all my browser tabs. I'm already getting used to that since it almost looks like a Windows 10 shadow effect.

I've got the same thing on my Acer X34P with the top 10-15 pixels at the top being slightly dimmer than the rest of the display. Same panel as the AW3418DW, but it's interesting that both models exhibit that, I had wondered if it was something specific to the X34P's backlighting/bezels.

Bugged me a lot at first, more so in macOS than Windows due to the macOS menu bar running the length of the display, but I've gotten used to it now.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 10, 2018

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

particle9 posted:

It was brought up as an issue in YouTube review s on the monitor so I’m pretty sure they all have it.

Makes me feel better about deciding it wasn’t worth trying to deal with Acer for a possible monitor exchange, but also kind of a frustrating thing to have to live with on a $1k+ monitor.

I don’t notice the slightly dimmer top edge at all when gaming but it’s definitely there for the 8+ hours a day I’m using the monitor for desktop work.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I built my GTX 1080 rig yesterday and I'm running things so smoothly on my 1080p/144hz monitor that I'm scared of upgrading to 1440p/165hz. How can I determine a rough estimate of what FPS I could get for Overwatch, WoW, and other games with a higher max FPS? And what would running something like Dark Souls 3, which is capped at 60fps, look like on a 165hz monitor?

Use NVIDIA DSR to run your games at 2560x1440 and measure your FPS.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Zero VGS posted:

How does it have better specs? It's the same resolution and dimensions but only does 100hz native and overclocks (sometimes?) to 120hz when the Dell officially supports the 120hz. And yeah, Dell is 3-year no-questions-asked cross-ship replacements.

The X34P has hardware gamma control, the Alienware does not.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

BurritoJustice posted:

There is no difference in the refresh rates, both are 100Hz and then you toggle 120Hz in the OSD.

The X34P uses a slightly newer panel revision, it supports 10bpc (8b + FRC) where the Dell doesn't, and is rated slightly higher out off the box for sRGb coverage etc.

Does the X34P definitely support 8bit+FRC color? I bought one the week they came out and expected to just be able to set 10-bit color output in the Nvidia control panel, but that didn’t work so I’ve always been running it at 8bit color. Is it some kind of app-specific fullscreen thing?

I remember trying to do some research on it when I first got the monitor but wasn’t able to find much information on how 8bit+FRC is supposed to work.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I bought the IPS XB271HU two years ago to play Overwatch with high framerate/g-sync and it’s strange to me that it’s still the best 16:9 27” gaming monitor in 2018.

I guess I don’t know what the next logical upgrade would be though.. HDR, 4K, and/or 200+ Hz? I guess monitor innovation is being held back by a combination of lack of GPUs to drive things at 4K, production issues with panels, and maybe just being kind of a niche market overall.

I upgraded from the XB271HU to an X34P and I’d be pretty happy sticking with 3440x1440 for a while but my biggest complaint is that the IPS glow is now more noticeable on the wider/curved screen. Is there any hope of getting OLED gaming monitors in the next few years?

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 23, 2018

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Wibla posted:

I've got 4 27" 1440p Dell monitors and I don't really see a clear upgrade path. 1440p at 27" is a sweet spot of clarity vs not having to use scaling, and I don't really see what 4k offers without pushing the size up quite a bit. And at that point, the side monitors etc start going out the window, removing utility (for what I do, anyways).

Choices, choices.

Thankfully I have a new money pit (track day car), so the monitor upgrades can wait :v:

Yeah, same here though I ended up getting the 120Hz X34P because I wanted to consolidate down from having a 27" 144Hz monitor for games and a 34" 60Hz monitor for work.

I guess things like HDR and better color depth/contrast could be improvements but going to whatever the ultrawide equivalent of 4K would be seems like it would have diminishing returns on top of being a lot harder to drive than 1440p.

I'll still be curious to see how the 200Hz VA-panel ultrawide Acer X35/ASUS PG35VQ monitors turn out if they ever make it to market but for now I'm glad I decided to just get the X34P instead of waiting for one of those. There doesn't seem to be much else on the horizon that would be a potential upgrade, given the current rate that new monitors are coming out and how often they're being delayed.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

I would like someone to talk me down off the ledge because I'm having a lot of buyer's remorse with my X34P right now.

I upgraded from an XB271HU (gaming PC) and a 34" LG ultrawide (work laptop); I wanted to consolidate to a single monitor and it seemed that the X34P would give me the best of both of my previous monitors.

What I got was a display with vignetting across the top 1/4", nasty IPS glow that is very visible when gaming during dark scenes/cut scenes (like in Witcher 3), and mediocre black levels/contrast.

I'm not feeling like I got my $1,100+ worth here.

I don't have my XB271HU around to compare anymore but I don't remember its IPS glow being as noticeable. I feel like it's worst on the X34P on the curved sides, especially the left side, so the smaller/flat panel on the XB271HU may have been mitigating it. I'm guessing its contrast was not much better but I had not yet seen OLED..

I got an 55" LG OLED TV a month ago and have moved almost all of my gaming to that at this point. It's kind of ruined the X34P for me because my monitor now looks extremely washed-out in comparison and the IPS glow is an annoyance. When using the TV I miss the ultrawide ratio (in games that support it well), 120 FPS, and G-SYNC, but 4K (+HDR for things like Destiny 2) at a solid 60 FPS isn't too bad and I mostly play single-player games with an XB1 controller these days anyway.

I'm close to just selling the X34P and eating the loss. I still have my old LG that I can use for work. For gaming, I don't know what else to do for a desk monitor; the $2,000 HDR ones have the chroma bandwidth issues, the upcoming 200Hz VA-panel monitors might be good but will probably cost $2,500+. I like having a kb/mouse set up for playing WoW, but it may be time to just get a lapdesk thing and go full couch gamer until these $1,000-2,000 monitors get better.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 21, 2018

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

https://www.dell.com/premier/us/en/rc1378895/#/systems/details/aw3423dw-monitor/AW3423DWSAP

The QD-OLED ultrawide is now available for purchase, at $1307 + tax. This is 2 - 3x the price of typical monitors of this size and resolution, but it's using a new kind of OLED display that promises to have a better HDR image than any other monitor you could buy right now. This is through their premier program, but from what I can tell, anyone can buy it?

There are no detailed reviews yet, but this chinese youtuber somehow managed to get out a review?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba9u6uhfgQw

There's nothing here to really say how much better or worse it is than other oled panels, but it does highlight that some of the typical oled issues are still present, like an automatic brightness limiter that turns down the screen's brightness when you enlarge a window with a white background. This is more or less expected, though in theory it should still be brighter, more vivid, and more burn-in resistant than LG oled panels with better text clarity too. Hopefully other reviewers who do more detailed analyses can review it soon. If this youtuber got one, the hopefully dell hasn't snubbed hardware unboxed.

(off topic, but I'm also impressed by how far youtube's auto translate has come for chinese speech)

edit: aaand it's out of stock lol

I had one ordered briefly but canceled it. I'm gonna wait on this. Apparently it was available for $980 for a brief period and people who got their order in kept it.

I ordered an AW3423DW as soon as I saw the Premier link, and then cancelled that and re-ordered last night for the $980 price.

The latter one shipped this morning and is scheduled for Thursday delivery and now I am just really hoping that Dell does not reverse the shipment and cancel my order.

Buying a C8 OLED TV in 2018 pretty much ruined IPS monitors for me, to the point where I do 90% of my PC gaming on my TV with a controller now and only use my 34GK950F for work.

I am really excited for the OLED gaming monitor era to begin and hope I do not regret buying this sight unseen, but the 3 year warranty and "sale price" definitely made it easier to roll the dice.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED 34" ultrawide is now available for purchase on Dell's main website for $1,307.

People have apparently been getting coupons for 10% off by signing up for some sort of Dell newsletter.

The first YouTube reviews have started appearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVUnt7xTp6Q

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Rusty posted:

I bought it with a 10% code from the Dell newsletter. I had another code from another email as well if anyone wants it, it takes off $130.75.

05B4MQ1Q7$H5Q?

Nice. In the time since my previous post, the earliest delivery date has slipped from March 11 to April 30. 😬 Lots of people want their OLEDs.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

xgalaxy posted:

I haven’t watched this review yet but I was reading about some people complaining the text clarity on this thing sucks.

I think this is an issue specific to M1 Macs with external monitors: https://www.theregister.com/2021/12/03/apple_m1_drivers/ but it will be something to keep an eye on as more people get their hands on these and start posting reviews.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The good news: my $980 AW3423DW arrived today. I tried it in both Win 11 and macOS (Intel-based MBP) and have not noticed any text rendering/subpixel weirdness during normal use, though I also didn't start magnifying the screen to look for them.

The bad news: within the first few minutes of using it I have noticed two dead pixels, one of which is right in the middle of the screen.

Dell has a dead pixel replacement policy that requires at least 6 dead pixels to get a replacement.

Pretty disappointing, I will probably end up just returning it, and then spend hundreds more and wait months to buy another one.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 10, 2022