Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
So I'm looking to replace one of my monitors for a 24" since I need a bit more screen space for work. I'm looking at ebay, so this is more of a post for older monitors. There are currently several monitors on sale:

U2711 - $800 -> This is my dream, I really can't afford it, but eh, I can make ends meet if necessary

2405WFP - $185

2407WFP - $190

U2410 - $375

I'm leaning towards the 2407WFP, but i was wondering whether it would just be worth it to purchase the HP ZR24W new instead? I know the WFP monitors are PVA, but considering I don't do any serious graphics work, I don't believe I would necessary need IPS (although I may notice the difference in quality just by sitting the monitor next to my 2005WFP.

Edit: Price update after negotiating.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

DrDork posted:

There's really no reason I can see to prefer the 2405 over the 2407 if the prices are that close. I've got both a 2407WFP-HC and a U2410, and is there a difference? Yes. Is it worth twice the price if you're going to be mostly using it for work (assuming your work isn't graphic design)? No, not really. Same goes for the ZR24W. Of course buying used carries its own bag of problems (mostly revolving around your options if you find a dead/stuck pixel), but you can certainly save a lot of money that way.

does this difference also come down to the gaming lag?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

DrDork posted:

The lag difference between the 2407WFP-HC and the U2410 is there when you turn game mode on in the U2410, but otherwise they're both in the low 30ms range (U2410 in game mode is ~17ms). For reference, I play a wide variety of games and have never really felt that I needed to turn game mode on--even at 30ms it's been fine for my uses. It's more that the colors and clarity on the U2410 are superior to the 2407 that makes (to me) the most noticeable difference.

Just picked up the 2407WFP. Still need to get this thing calibrated at some point, but sitting next to my 2005wfp, there's really noticeable difference. 1 dead pixel that's not very noticeable - I have no real complaints.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Factory Factory posted:

I was quite surprised to learn that there are ways to try to fix dead and stuck pixels, though they aren't guaranteed. Here's the eHow article for dead ones. I used the stuck pixel article to actually fix a perma-red pixel on my laptop. I was pretty stunned. As long as you're careful, it's worth a shot.

Oooh, thatnks for this. i was able to get rid of the one I noticed :D

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

jerman999 posted:

Some dude is selling a 23" Dell S2309W for $110 in SA Mart - any particular problems with this monitor? Worth it, or am I better off buying a new one? Looking for a ~24" for general computer use and movie-watching, probably no gaming. I'd also be plugging it into a T410 as an external display if that changes anything (discrete graphics card).

I've made a habit of looking at Craigslist recently for Ultrasharps. Occasionally, you find something like this:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/2423538400.html

As described earlier, I bought a 2407WFP rev. a04 for $150. Its pretty much flawless, with a single completely dead pixel in a discrete spot. Just takes a bit of hunting to find an actual monitor.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

singe posted:

Is there anything wrong with the Dell Ultrasharp 2405fpw? I might be able to get one used off of craigslist for around 150.

I picked up a 2407FPW the other week. Its a bit newer, has lower input lag than the 2405, newer panel, etc. If you wait around, I'm sure you'll be able to find one on craigslist.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

amishmatrix posted:

Yeah, it's a Shimian QH270 IPSBS. There's literally no information on the internet about them. The only reason I thought to look for one is that they're VERY popular in PC Rooms around Korea, pretty much every other one uses them.

One PC Room worker that spoke English informed me that he heard they use LG panels, not sure if that's true or not.

I've used the big Apple monitors at work and I'd say this one comes close. It definitely is trying to look like one with its bezel-less glass front. It's blacks aren't quite as deep as Apples but the brightness and crispness certainly seems on par.

http://search.danawa.com/dsearch.php?k1=shimian&module=goods&act=dispMain&x=0&y=0

Found them on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...#ht_5890wt_1031

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Ghostpilot posted:

Shame it's at about a 55% mark-up from the Korean sites I've been looking at (around $250-$260). Could possibly get it cheap from one of those if you can find one willing to ship abroad.

Edit: Wait a sec, that's the Lite version, not the Shimian QH270 IPSBS. So actually, it should be even cheaper.

Looks like Overclock.net is doing a group buy:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1217979/us-only-shimian-qh2700-group-buy-info-thread/10

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

I ended up buying the Shimian QH270-lite from http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...8#ht_5861wt_952

(It's that Korean monitor that has been discussed in this thread and overclock.net)

The seller appears to be legitimate and the monitor itself has been getting glowing reviews from people in South Korea who have seen it personally. Sure I'll have to get a DVI-D to DVI-I cable and a 240v to 110v transformer, but if everything ends up working you can't beat a IPS 1440p 27 inch monitor for 400 bucks.

I'm really excited about this monitor. I've been talking to some friends in Korea to try to get them to ship it over. From what I understand, there is no true difference between the -lite and non-lite versions?

What monitor do you have to compare it to btw?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

I ended up buying the Shimian QH270-lite from http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...8#ht_5861wt_952

(It's that Korean monitor that has been discussed in this thread and overclock.net)

The seller appears to be legitimate and the monitor itself has been getting glowing reviews from people in South Korea who have seen it personally. Sure I'll have to get a DVI-D to DVI-I cable and a 240v to 110v transformer, but if everything ends up working you can't beat a IPS 1440p 27 inch monitor for 400 bucks.

I pulled the trigger on the Catleap version. Here's hoping it comes intact!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-non-ag-achieva-shimian-qh270-does-anyone-read-korean/100#post_16537913

From this post, it sounds like you won't need a transformer.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 23, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Just received word that my Catleap 27" LCD just arrived at my house. I'll have pictures up later today and this weekend for any of you who are interested in this monitor.

For reference purposes, this is the Overclock.net thread about thie Shimian/Catleap:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-achieva-shimian-qh270-does-anyone-read-korean/740#post_16609970

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Shadowhand00 posted:

Just received word that my Catleap 27" LCD just arrived at my house. I'll have pictures up later today and this weekend for any of you who are interested in this monitor.

For reference purposes, this is the Overclock.net thread about thie Shimian/Catleap:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-achieva-shimian-qh270-does-anyone-read-korean/740#post_16609970
following up on this:

1. Catleap ips seems to be the same quality as my girlfriend's 27" iMac. I am going to calibrate the display later tonight so I'll have some readings up from that.

2. There's one dead pixel which is only visible from one angle on a pitch black screen.

3. On black screens, there is noticeable bleed coming from the led lighting. Nothing horrible but it's definitely there.

4. No special power adapter required.

5. Stand is a little flimsy, but the catleap has VESA mounts so if I'm motivated enough, I'll get a dual screen mount.

6. Coming from a ultra sharp 2407 rev. 4 with an mpva screen, this thing is still absolutely amazing

7. Finally, there are reports that people are pushing this thing to output at. 97hz. Probably not going to do that.

All in all, if you have 400 and want to have a pretty great 27" with no warranty, I'd say it's worth it. I can live with backlight bleed and the dead pixel, but your needs may be different.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Shadowhand00 posted:

following up on this:

1. Catleap ips seems to be the same quality as my girlfriend's 27" iMac. I am going to calibrate the display later tonight so I'll have some readings up from that.

2. There's one dead pixel which is only visible from one angle on a pitch black screen.

3. On black screens, there is noticeable bleed coming from the led lighting. Nothing horrible but it's definitely there.

4. No special power adapter required.

5. Stand is a little flimsy, but the catleap has VESA mounts so if I'm motivated enough, I'll get a dual screen mount.

6. Coming from a ultra sharp 2407 rev. 4 with an mpva screen, this thing is still absolutely amazing

7. Finally, there are reports that people are pushing this thing to output at. 97hz. Probably not going to do that.

All in all, if you have 400 and want to have a pretty great 27" with no warranty, I'd say it's worth it. I can live with backlight bleed and the dead pixel, but your needs may be different.

Here is a picture of the Catleap next to my 2407WFP (with MVA screen). This is prior to calibration using a colorimeter - they're much closer in terms of brightness now.

I should reemphasize that this is an S-IPS monitor. There's no warranty (as far as anyone knows, Square Trade will insure this, but there's no guarantee on that. Regardless, for the price of 1 Dell 27" right now, you can pretty much purchase 2 of these. They have the exact same panel and have no AG coating, making the colors pop that much more.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Shmoogy posted:

I also purchased a Catleap 27 inch ips, but it wont be here until mid next week. A $7.50 coupon off of an eBay purchase was enough to push me over the edge, who knew. :colbert:

You lucky bastard.

http://myworld.ebay.com/dream-seller/

Dream-seller is actually extremely responsive and seems like an overall nice guy. He's willing to add additional products to his offerings including the Crossfire 27", which seems to be the best Korean-based IPS LCD (discounted).

Actually, I just went through that OP again (movax, if you could add some of the stuff below, I think it'd be helpful for people):

http://translate.google.com/transla..._srl%3D21449157
http://translate.google.com/transla..._srl%3D20925987
http://translate.google.com/transla...ngame%26page%3D

Also, this is a link to a PDF with Bulk Prices for these monitors. Just to show you how you're not being ripped off: (since shipping is about ~100 to and from Korea at the moment):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61830124/Spec.%20sheet%20for%20Shimian%20series.pdf

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 7, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Shmoogy posted:

That's pretty interesting, I don't know what paypal fees are for powersellers (other than knowing they're lower) but I paid $363 for mine, so $250 + 100 shipping /fees... How on earth is this viable for them to do?

Its possible they may have relationships with the carriers as well. Whenever I ship something to my grandfather, it comes out to $100. Possible they could be getting better prices on that portion. I paid $400 for my catleap, so I know they might have made about ~20-30 for my monitor.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Trickyrive posted:

I don't seem to find many choices in glossy panels, just Apple displays, Hazro monitors which don't seem to sell to the US, and a Dell (ST2220T) thats a touchscreen ...

There's also the Korean LCDs that I've been posting about, which are OEMs of the Hazro monitors.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Trickyrive posted:

What's the difference between the Catleap and the Achieva monitors? The only thing different I see on the ebay store is that the Achieva says it's tempered glass.

Mostly just outwards presentation. It also appears that the following is occuring:

1. Catleap is able to be clocked up to 97Hz, essentially, overclock them. Seems to allow playing on this frequency with full resolution. Not sure how this affects panel life.

2. Seems like Achievas have a slightly better rate of panel flawlessness. The only panels that are flawed for Achievas, according to that thread, are the ones with tempered glass - these get dust under the glass. The Catleaps seem to have 1-2 flaws + a bit more backlight bleed. The stand on the Catleaps is also not the greatest, but it does have some VESA mounts that are accessible and usable.

3. Panels for both of them are the exact same. These are the same panels used by ACD, Dell (different revision) and Hazros.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

The_Franz posted:

I'm going to order one of these monitors soon and, while I do like the look of tempered glass, everyone in the overclocked thread who got one of these seems to have dust behind the glass. It doesn't seem as though anyone has found a way to easily remove it for cleaning either.

As for the crappy stands, are there any decent VESA compatible "Dell style" stands out there that fit 27" monitors?

Someone speculated that the tempered glass versions of these monitors are the same ones found in all of the PC-bangs, whereas the regular non-tempered glass ones are for home-use.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2 is supposed to be a nice monitor stand. I'm thinking about getting one of these eventually.

Filthee Fingas posted:

Tried googling this crossfire model (sorry if it's in the dropbox pdf - at work and won't open) and can't find any info. I'm assuming it's the same panel just better casing?

Yeah, the Crossfire has a nicer casing and what looks like a rotatable stand. Might be worth it if he provides it for sale - you won't have to buy a new stand for the monitor.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

rapeface posted:

Okay, I just got a U3011 but I'm having some issues with the clarity. Specifically, I'm getting some "graininess". For example, a normal explorer window isn't a flat expanse of white, but multiple points of brightness. This is in comparison with my Dell 24wpfl

I'm using Dual Link DVI (based on the cord and OP) and a quick google didn't reveal anything. I ran the self-diagnostics and didn't notice anything. Am I just crazy and just not used to it? Is it an issue with not using Displayport instead? Everything else is fine, except for flat, light colour backgrounds. Is it possible my video card is too poo poo? (using a 4850 or 4870, waiting on the 7850s).

Could it be the screen is so large you're heavily noticing the anti-glare material? (Just a guess).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Priam posted:

Yeah that's the glare coating. Someone at LG must really, really love those coatings despite the nonstop complaints.

I think its a Dell thing, considering the Korean IPSs and Apple CDs don't come with it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Priam posted:

It's a Dell, HP, NEC, Eizo, and Asus then I guess.

It's definitely LG's fault seeing as they don't seem to offer anything in between their ultra grainy AG coating and a glossy coating, which hopefully they'll correct soon enough.

Going from a HP ZR24w to one of the 27" 2560x1440 glossy displays was really eye opening and there's absolutely no way I could ever go back to one of those awful coatings.

Totally agree with you. I'm currently only using the 27" display. I have a perfectly great 2407WFP right next to it that hasn't been plugged in or used since I've received the glossy 27".

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

VodeAndreas posted:

I'm planning an upgrade soon and one of these sounds awfully tempting...

How does game support go for that resolution go? Most seem to pull their resolution list out of the Windows supported ones at the time but I'm guessing older ones would be out of luck - do you know if it does 1:1 or aspect scaling or will only stretch, anyone know?

Most of my games support the resolution 1:1 if that' shwat you're asking. Seems to be the case with some of my older games as well.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Animal posted:

I got the Catleap 27" today. Ordered the 15th from dcsamsungmall for $370 shipped from Korea, got here the 19. Impressive.

My model is matte, which is a pleasant surprise since I thought they were all glossy. No dead pixels as far as I can see, though I'm not looking. There is a bit of discolor in the bottom, white looks a bit warmer on the bottom compared to the middle and top of the screen. Doesn't bother me much to be honest, I expected some kind of imperfection, these displays must be, after all, rejects from what otherwise would sell for more than twice the price. The stand is lovely, but I don't mind, and I'll probably just get a VESA stand. No on screen display, but I simply calibrated it using the nvidia control panel.

Very impressed, very happy with it. The only downside is that the 560 Ti 448 is no longer overkill, now it struggles at max settings in some games. Time to wait for Kepler.

I've realized that as long as I don't look for dead pixels, I won't notice them as long as I don't find them. No use in searching for something that might be there if I can't get a free replacement if I do find one. The backlight only bothers me at night honestly - during the day, its I'm not really looking at the bottom of my screen too much. Glad you got a speciman you liked :)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

spanko posted:

Well Animal and I both got the Catleap and its definitely not glossy. I would assume the Achieva Shimian is exactly the same with a different bezel and stand. The Crossover is definitely glossy, as you can see in the picture I posted from hardforums.

Mine is definitely glossy. I'll post a picture sometime this week to show you guys.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

spanko posted:

Which one is the Catleap?

EDIT: Also for anyone ordering the Catleap monitor be aware, some are glossy and some aren't. Someone on hardforums asked one of the sellers about it and was told that there is about a 2% chance you get a Catleap that isn't glossy like mine and Animal's. I just sent dcsamsungmall a message asking if I can get a replacement that is glossy because that's what I thought I was getting and what I really wanted.

I believe it is the HYO049B

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

el_brio posted:

Wow. I just checked fedex and the Catleap I ordered on Tuesday at around 8pm CST is on the local truck for delivery today. Three days from Korea blows my freaking mind. I can't wait to get the thing home. Now I just have to buy a new video card to run it. Uggg. $370 for a monitor is a lot less cheap of an upgrade when you have to figure in a new $500 video card to run it. Too bad the 680's sold out yesterday.

3 days is absolutely amazing logistically. Especially since shipping is basically $100 + price of the monitor.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

el_brio posted:

I just got it (Catleap). Box was wrapped in lots of bubble wrap. Looks great. Screen is definitely glossy. No coating of any kind. I'd post pics but don't think I can as a newbie member.

I took another look at the pic Animal posted and my screen is not the same. It looks like the Crossover that was posted earlier.

You have to host pictures offline (imgur) in order to post pictures.

Rashomon posted:

How do these Catleap monitors compare to say, the new HP 27" which seems to be priced in the $650-700 range? And how much are you getting the Catleap for? I see them on eBay for incredibly cheap; is that how you are all buying them?

The Catleaps use the exact same panel as the HPs, Dells, and Apple Cinema displays. They don't have OSDs, they don't have a variety of connection (unless you pay $100 or so more), and they're used in PC Cafes in Korea. They're exclusively for the Korean market so the only way you could get one is through eBay or through a friend who's willing to ship it to you. Eitherway, it'd cost you price of the monitor (at least 200) +$100 shipping

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Edit: poo poo, double post

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Autarch Kade posted:

I read the color calibration section in the OP, but wasn't sure about something. If I have multiple monitors on one computer in an Eyefinity setup, is there a color calibrating tool that will either work with them in the Eyefinity setup, or make the monitors look the same as each other.

I have two U3011 monitors that even I, a color blind person, can notice a difference between, and a third monitor that is an LG Flatron W3000H which is, I think, way off. Ideally I'd like them all to look the same with correct color.

Is buying an actual calibration tool out of the question in this case? You can buy the cheapest Spyder4 for about $120. I bought one and then returned it. I then ended up buying it again because I really do become obsessed with having uniform colors across my monitors.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Arob1000 posted:

Are there any 20-24" LED IPS monitors with 16:10 aspect (or taller / less widescreen), no or very minimal antiglare coating, with (mini-)DisplayPort or something inexpensively compatible?

It looks like an Apple Cinema display fits these criteria, but what's going on with the price difference here?

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-Cinem...mputer_Monitors

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Apple-Cinem...mputer_Monitors

Are they the same monitor? The first one doesn't list the input types either.

You could always get a Korean LCD 27" IPS for $340-$350 or thereabouts, but they don't have display port.

Edit: Didn't see the widescreen limitations. Oops.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Arrowsmith posted:

Have you dived down into the monitor's settings to see if there's an option? My old Westinghouse L2410NM had a similar thing but also a menu option to turn it off.

Unfortunately, there're no OSD settings on the Korean IPSs

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Tedronai66 posted:

I wonder if there are on the ones people on OCN have been linking with DVI and DP inputs.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1239353/27-ips-2560x1440-displayport-microboard-q270-dp-n2716wqx-diyomate-h73a-from-499-99

Yeah, I should have corrected myself - on the 2 cheapest options, there're no OSDs. The better ones definitely seem to have them.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Revol posted:

My local CompUSA store (I'm in Tampa Bay, we still have brick-and-mortar CompUSAs) is selling a 27" Hanns-G monitor, 1920x1200, for about $255. Is this is decent brand? Google Shopping seems to have pretty good reviews for it.

My Samsung 21" is dying on me. It'll flicker for a few seconds to half a minute intermitently when it's first turned on. Google research tells me this is a known issue, a capacitor is dying, and soon the LCD itself will die.

You don't want a 27" Hanns-G Monitor if you can help it. The pixels will be a bit large and the screen itself will not be the best quality.

That being said, what are you looking for in a monitor? What is your budget? What will be the primary purpose for the monitor?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

I recently bought two Catleaps and while they're very nice displays, I have two issues with them. First of all, the colors don't match. One seems to be "warmer" than the other. Should I just use the Nvidia control panel to adjust them, or is there a better application I can use? I tried to get them to match but I can't quite get it right.

Secondly, each monitor has a small blotch on it. They aren't dead pixels as they are larger and they seem to be behind the display somehow. I dont really know how to explain it but they seem to be at a different depth than the pixels on the screen. What are they? Can I get rid of them?

I even tested these displays before I bought them but I was in a rush and they weren't noticeable on a dark backdrop.

For #1, the best way to make sure the colors coordinate would be to purchase an actual calibrator. I have one because mismatched colors drive me crazy. Other people aren't quite as obsessive about this detail though. Monitors also seem to need recalibration every few months, so its always a good idea to keep one on hand.

If you don't need absolute color accuracy though, using the Nvidia control panel should be fine.

Edit:

From the OP

quote:

Basic Q/A from DrDork:
Q: Why should I calibrate?
A: If you're only interested in games, and you're happy with the way things look as-is, it may not be worth it for you to gently caress around with things. However, it's almost always possible to make things look closer to the way the designers/artists/etc intended it to look with a bit of calibration. It also allows you to better match what you see on your monitor to other things, such as what you print out, or what other people see on their monitors (assuming they are also properly calibrated).

Q: Ok, so how do I calibrate?
A: First you decide how much money you want to spend. Basic options are $0, <$100, and >$100. Online-only methods will rely on you to eyeball things, and consequently tend to have poor results: you're probably already used to "wrong" colors of one sort or another, to the point where "correct" colors may look off and tempt you to set things a bit incorrectly. Hardware kits are pretty much all plug-and-play these days, with step-by-step software that'll do all the hard stuff for you.

Q: I want to spend $0! How do I do this?
A: Best way is to borrow a calibration tool from someone who took one of the more expensive options. Barring that, there are some basic online tutorials you can use to improve your picture a bit. http://tft.vanity.dk/ has a very nice set of tools that you can use to get a better idea of what tweaks to make to your monitor look better. If nothing else, most monitors are more "correct" when set to brightness and contrast settings of about 50%, vice whatever they came set at.

Q: I want to spend <$100. What do I get?
A: The HueyPro is an ok colorometer, and is cheap. It's pretty fast, and it'll do a better job than the online setups will. It also supports multiple monitors and doesn't require any software registration, allowing you to use it on multiple computers without issue. Note that this will not work well with wide-gamut monitors, such as the U2410. You need to bump up to something better.

Q: I want to spend >$100. What do I get?
A: If you don't want to spend too much, the Spyder3 Pro goes for around $130. It's better than the HueyPro, also supports multiple monitors, and does a decent job with wide-gamut displays like the U2410. It, however, requires software registration, limiting its use in multi-computer setups. If you're willing to drop even more cash, the X-Rite Eye One Display 2 runs about $200, and is where "professional" grade calibration really starts to pick up. If your livelihood depends on proper colors, this is probably the cheapest one you should be considering. And you should probably investigate this sort of poo poo yourself, anyhow. If you absolutely HAVE to have the best, the X-Rite i1 Pro is probably the best one before things get really silly--and it's still about $900 or so.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 4, 2012

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Tenderloin posted:

Speaking of non-standard aspect ratios, what is the consensus on the Dell U2913WM?

I'm in the market for a 27" IPS that I can calibrate, but that 29" is currently cheaper. If I video edit by day and do a fair amount of gaming at night, am I going to regret the 29"? Will my overclocked Radeon 7950B choke trying to drive either of them?

Seems like a steal at $540 with free shipping... How many games actually support 21:9?

The 7950 should have no problems driving that many pixels. It has no problems driving 2560x1440 at all. The problem with the 29" monitor is that its so thin. The 27" 1440p monitor provides you with significantly more space vertically, which is much more useful in the long run.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Is there any reason why my work laptop won't detect the U2713HM as 1440p? I am able to force it as a custom resolution but it doesn't seem to want to do it automatically.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Factory Factory posted:

Let me guess, HDMI? 2560x1440 isn't a predefined standard in HDMI and so only works as a custom resolution. HDMI uses profiles rather than sending display information over EDID (except when using DVI compatibility mode via an HDMI-DVI pin adapter).

DVI-DL. Its a work laptop. If I try to dual screen between the laptop monitor and the monitor itself, it works until I unplug the laptop. When I plug back in, the thing goes to poo poo and the drivers constantly crash. The best way that I've been able to resolve this is by just closing my laptop and using the single monitor screen (which is more than fine). The monitor will flicker on occasion which is annoying but hey, 2560x1440 :D :D :D. Has anyone else had any problems connecting their Latitude with NVS 4200 in the past?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

HalloKitty posted:

Come to think of it, it's probably good for coding work, since you'll have tons of screen space, the refresh rate doesn't matter for text, and colour accuracy probably won't matter.

But it's ultra-rare these days that some new consumer good would actually be designed for programmers, so I'm going to say it's simply a race to the bottom with poorly specced goods.

If I was coding on a screen that big and the text was colorshifting all over the place, it would drive me crazy. But that's just me.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I just picked up the 34UM95 from Fry's. Since it was the display model, they took off 5%. This is a fantastic display - its pretty much everything I've been looking for. Enough horizontal space to be extremely usable and enough vertical space to not feel cramped at all.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Its a pretty horrible picture but I love this monitor.