Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I recently picked up an Asus VW246H monitor. Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that the colors seem to be a little washed out. I put it on Theater mode, and while it made everything a lot more vibrant, it's a little too bright for me (whites being very bright, dark being almost grey/washed out). I googled for awhile and found some calibrations people have used, but it still leaves things just feeling a little off to my eyes.

Does anyone have experience with this monitor? If so, what settings do you have yours on? I tried using the Windows 7 monitor calibration tool, but I don't really feel like it did anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Right now, I have it set to Theater mode, Brightness is on 75, Contrast is 70, Sharpness 59, Saturation 59.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I'm looking to upgrade my 24" ASUS TN to an IPS monitor and stay in the 1ms response range. I play mostly FPS/ARPG games with a 970/i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz. Does a decent 1ms IPS monitor exist? If not, is there something close to it? I just really want good response time and color. 144hz is cool but I'm not convinced I need it just yet.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I was also looking at the ASUS MX27AQ but I don't know if there's a real difference between 1ms and 4ms.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Looking for a replacement for the ASUS VG248QE. Is that still the best in its range?

Edit: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-24-gaming-monitor-s2417dg/apd/210-aizs/monitors-monitor-accessories

Anyone use this?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 8, 2017

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Is there an agreed upon "best" 27" monitor at this point? Looking at the Aorus 27" IPS. Will I even notice a difference between 1-4ms response time? I'm used to 24" 1ms.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks all. My main concern is any perceived response time issue over a 24" 144hz TN panel. Although I'm mostly playing ARPG/MMO's with the occasional shooter. I sit about 2-3ft from my monitor, do you think 27" would be "too big"?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I was excited to buy the AOC 24G2 but some of the reviews are keeping me away. I'm just looking for a good 144hz gsync/freesync24" monitor for shooters and occasional MMO games. I would prefer a thin bezel. I read that the AOC has lovely text display and that's a turn off. I'm not too worried about IPS vs TN. I prefer responsiveness over all. Does anything fit the bill here?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I just got my AOC 24G2 today and it's quite a chance from a 60hz TN panel. My system is a 9600k/1660ti and I was wondering what your settings are for this monitor? There are a lot of settings in the menus that aren't explained in the manual or online. What gamma preset do I use? I read on BlurBusters I should manually set the FPS in the games I play to 141 so I did that. Should I also use Nvidia Fast Sync along with GSync? Just wondering how everyone else set up this monitor. High refresh rate gaming is new to me. Oh also I don't know if it's me, but IPS seems to be a little darker compared to the TN. Is there a way I can brighten it up a bit without ruining the image quality?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thanks for the info. After using it for a day and playing with some settings, I’m used to the difference already. I did a dead pixel test and have zero and it appears I have very little BLB as well. Only down in the bottom left corner is where I could notice it on a dark screen, but they may just be IPS glow anyway. I never use my PC in total darkness so it doesn’t matter. I’m trying to figure out the overdrive settings and what is good. I may just use RTSS and set a 141 FPS cap for every game in general.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
One thing I'm experiencing in a game like Destiny 2 is what appears to be flickering in the menus. Once I'm in the actual game it is fine, but when I'm managing my items, there is a very noticeable dimming/light flickering as I'm mousing over items. What's that about? I saw it in menus of other games I play too. Also, the corners of the monitor appear to be darker than the center, especially on a white background, but when I move my head around, it all looks uniform. That's definitely just how IPS and viewing angles work right? I'm very worried about this flickering.

Edit: Actually getting that flickering inside of Path of Exile too, both in the menu and in the game. I have GSync set to 144hz, frame capped in came to 141fps with fast sync on. Overdrive set to strong. I'm wondering if this monitor is defective. I tried it on Modern Warfare and it seems to work perfectly fine. Is there an FPS threshold I'm supposed to stay inside of? I don't understand any of this poo poo. I just feel like my brand new screen shouldn't be flickering at all.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 31, 2019

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

K8.0 posted:

Check to see if there's any sort of automatic brightness or other such stupidity in the OSD.

Fast Sync off, vsync on, 140hz cap, see if it works out. Also, is the odd dimming behavior present with Gsync disabled? Honestly does sound like you may have a defective monitor, the dimming behavior is very abnormal. If anything IPS tends to be brighter in the corners, with perhaps a slight rolloff of brightness close to the bezel in general. Hopefully it's not just that the monitor is poo poo. It's brand new, and a relatively new/unknown panel, I'm never a fan of being the first to buy a monitor, and there's a reason we tend to only recommend things that have been either purchased by a LOT of people already or reviewed by tftcentral.

It's because you have to guess how long it will be until the next frame. If doing so forces you up against the edge of your refresh window, it's easy to have problems. As a result, you need some wiggle room.

Here's a reddit post that I think does a very good job of describing it.

It is definitely present with GSync on but from what I read this may be normal behavior for this panel. This sucks. I may just go back to a TN panel at this rate. I used DDU to reinstall my latest nvidia drivers and I’ll see if that helps. I don’t really care about colors so much as a fast image.

In regards to the dark parts of the panel, I can definitely move my head around and look at it from a different angle and it looks better, but I should be able to look straight ahead and see the whole image.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 31, 2019

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Yeah, I’m going to send it back. Is there an agreed upon “best” 24” 144hz TN? I just want the gsync/freesync. Colors are colors to me. I play shooters and I want the response time.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I don’t think I could run some things at that FPS. Can I set it to 144hz? My only requirements are thin bezels and a nice panel.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Oh I had no idea. This stuff is still pretty new to me. Maybe I’ll research good 240hz panels. I don’t feel like sending this thing back and forth 5x trying to get one that works.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

Is this IPS glow or BLB in the corners?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
If I can get the flickering under control I may just keep it. The colors are nice, but the weird brightness issues in the corners are what really get to me, might just be an IPS thing or these new panels are just lovely. That Acer Nitro 240hz 25” is looking nice. Or that Alienware one.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I returned the AOC 24G2 and now I’m on the hunt for a replacement. Gotta be TN, 24”, and high refresh rate. Is the Acer XF252Q the only one out now that is a newer panel? There’s so many choices and I just don’t know.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I returned my junk AOC 24G2 and got the Viewsonic XG240R and I’m mostly happy. I would like the text to be a little bit clearer in general. I’m using the settings on PCMonitors but I think there’s room for improvement. Aside from adjusting text clarity within windows, is there anything else I can do aside from just letting my eyes get used to a new monitor?

I’m also still getting that gsync flicker occasionally in menus of games despite setting gsync up properly. Is this something I’m going to have to get used to? Everything I read says it’s just an issue in some games.

Edit: I got a lot of eye fatigue on day 1 but after adjustments it’s a little less today. I came from a 60hz Asus TN monitor. Why do all these new monitors kill my eyes?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jan 7, 2020

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Why am I so stupid that I didn’t think of that? It’s on 35 now, I’ll try way lower. I was wondering if it was a different setting I missed somehow.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Recently I've been trying out a few 144hz monitors to see which one my eyes can handle. I have a sensitivity to how bright these things are sometimes, even at very low brightness levels. I've recently settled on the LG 24GL650-B. I have the color and brightness adjusted perfectly and I'm overall very happy with it.

However, I've noticed that in some games, I notice a small amount of either freesync or brightness flickering in menus. I've had this with almost all of the monitors I've tried so far, so I swapped to this DP cable (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098HVZBE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The game I notice the flickering in the most is the current alpha of Torchlight 3. It's definitely brightness flickering in the corners but it could also be because the game is in an alpha state. I also notice some screen flickering in the menus of Destiny 2 and sometimes flickering in game. Other games like CS GO, GTAV, Doom 2016, Grim Dawn, etc are all completely flawless.

My build and settings are a 9600k (no overclock yet), MSI 1660ti (no OC), 16gb Corsair RAM, EVGA 850w PSU. On the LG monitor I am using Fast response time, Freesync Extended, and I follow the BlurBusters guide for the best GSync/Freesync settings in NVCP. I've tried many different monitor settings and those specific problems still exist. What I am wondering is if this is just an NVidia driver issue as it seems to be or should I be sending back yet another monitor? I kinda don't want to because I finally found one I like.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I thought it was me, but it looks like an actual glitch in the game, and not anything to do with my eyes. Games like Modern Warfare and PUBG are flawless. I was more wondering if this is a known NVIDIA driver issue. As always I very much appreciate your input.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Hey all, I just bought the LG 27GP850-B from Microcenter. The only trouble I'm having is that I find text in some areas very hard to read. I am not sure if this has to do with me needing to adjust to an IPS panel (previous was 24" Acer Predator 144hz TN Gsync), the size and tiny text, or if I messed up some settings. My settings are brightness 80, Contrast 80, Sharpness 60, Gamma Mode 2, Color Temp Medium, Fast Overdrive, all on the Gamer 1 Profile.

The size of the text I'll adjust to, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this monitor, and what your settings are? I already did ClearType text in Windows. I don't want to scale up everything to 125% again because it made the games I play feel off.

Other than the text issue this monitor is incredible.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Wow, thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it. So I have checked all the things suggested in here and everything appears to be set properly. I reset all the settings on my monitor and I have to say that lower brightness makes me very nauseous and it's even more difficult to see anything at all. I use this PC in a room with a lot of natural light and never game in a dark room at night. I always have light going. I need to have it around 60-70. Contrast is set to 60, Sharpness back to the default of 50. Things seem to be a lot better now but I am still getting eye fatigue and strain outside of playing games. I can return this up until the end of September so I'll keep seeing if I can adjust to it. I just went to the eye doctor last month so I'm good there.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Yeah, gaming is actually perfect and I love all the extra pixels. I feel like I can see more. That "ignore DPI scaling" thing for games might be the trick. When I scale everything up to 125% in Windows every single issue disappears for me. I also raised the monitor up a bit and it helped.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

K8.0 posted:

One thing you definitely want to do is make sure you haven't somehow got off RGB color format in your driver settings. 4:2:2 will definitely produce absolutely garbage looking text, and Nvidia's not always been the best about defaulting to RGB when the display supports it.

Just wanted to quote this in case others have this issue. This setting got changed somehow and the minute I changed it back everything looked WAY better. I still don't think the text looks as good as previous monitors I've had but it is now totally readable and it's a trade off I'm willing to make to have my games look so drat good. Thanks again everyone.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I ended up returning the monitor because I think this type of IPS panel just doesn't agree with me. I also greatly dislike the over-saturation I've seen on a few IPS monitors. I am currently using the Acer Predator XB241H and I love it. I have a budget of $750 and I'm definitely looking to upgrade. I'm not against a TN panel because it's the most familiar to me but I'm not even sure they exist anymore. I don't think I'm going to jump on the MSI monitor because it uses BGR sub-pixel layout and that can make text look real bad.

I'm looking for a 27" 1440p GSync monitor specifically for gaming and nothing else. If you had this budget, what would you buy?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thank you all for the advice. I will check all these monitors out. :)

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I've been comparing several monitors and I have settled on this Acer: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-predator-xb273u-gsbmiiprzx-27-wqhd-gaming-monitor-hdmi/6425562.p?skuId=6425562

Does anyone have any experience with it? I have several BB gift cards that would drive the price down so it's worth a try. Also, you guys weren't kidding about the way Acer names their monitors. What in the gently caress?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
I picked this up and finally no more headaches!

MSI QHD Rapid-IPS Gaming... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N5GNPS5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I think my issue was the Nano IPS panel that LG uses. I’ve been looking at the MSI screen for several hours with zero issues. Text is a little small but I’ll adjust. MSI also put firmware out that adds sRGB mode and I find that more pleasant to use than the standard settings which seem very blown out and over saturated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
So, I returned my MSI 27" monitor because I think the size was just too drat big for me. I'm just under 2ft away from the screen. While playing FPS games, I would have to physically move my head to see corners of the screen, instead of just moving my eyes. I also had a weird GSync flicker issue that apparently plagues this specific monitor.

I ordered this: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-25-gaming-monitor-s2522hg/apd/210-azzo/monitors-monitor-accessories

I value framerate over everything and didn't feel 1440p was worth the performance hit. Will I be hurting the monitor if I run it at 144hz vs 240hz? I don't think I would notice a difference between those two refresh rates like I did 60hz to 144hz.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 26, 2021