Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cockmaster posted:

https://pcmonitors.info/dell/dell-up3017q-4k-uhd-oled-monitor/

30", 3840 x 2160, OLED, 120Hz, $5000. How long do you suppose it'll be before the price comes down to something approaching affordable?

Plus they say that to get the 120Hz, you'll need DisplayPort or Thunderbolt 3 via USB-C. Are there any video cards due out soon that have USB-C outputs?

It'll be niche for the next 2-3 years and once OLEDs reach mainstream it'll only be for cell phones.

In the meanwhile we'll get 144hz 4K or 60hz 4K with HDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there such a thing as a passive vs. active DisplayPort Cable? Or is this exclusively for DisplayPort Adapters?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Does anyone tips for getting rid of monitor arm wobbly-ness? I moved my desk recently and the arm wobbles? It's an Amazon Basic's mount if that makes a difference...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm trying to see if there's anymore info on the Acer Predator XB321HK but beyond individual Amazon review there isn't much out there. Any ideas why? Are 4k monitors w/ Gsync just not a thing yet?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Interesting assessment, what are the the popular G-Sync Displays that are obviously good at gaming and general Office work?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 17, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Carecat posted:

Just think how horrible Windows DPI scaling will be at 8k.

It'll be fine provided you don't have a standard definition as a secondary.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

1. What the best g-sync high refresh rate 27” 1440p monitor?

2. Is 4K still impractical? I had a 30” 2560x1600 that died on me and ideally I’d get a 30”4K replacement but everything I’ve found is extremely expensive or 27” which seems way too small for 4k.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

You do not need a gsync compatible monitor. Any Freesync over Displayport monitor will work. You just shouldn't buy a crappy one. Nvidia has a list of some monitors they certify, but it's not actually a particularly good list of monitors you should buy.

What’s the best or “bang-for-buck” 27” 1440P IPS?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

And that’ll work just fine with my 1070? Do I lose anything without a official GSYNC monitor?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

TheFluff posted:

If you want 144Hz, Nixeus EDG-27Sv2.

What up with all the off brand recommendations? Are Dell and HP just not that good?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Annath posted:

I ended up buying the Nixeus and am getting ready to set it up. Re: potential issues with 60Hz and 144Hz from the same GPU, if that is a potential issue, could it be resolved by turning off the 6 lower end monitors when gaming? I could set all 3 to 60Hz for general use, then just switch the nice one to 144Hz and turn off the other 2 when needed.

E: fuuuuck. I had bought that AmazonBasics VESA mount someone linked earlier, so that I could more easily adjust my 2 1080p monitors on the sides of my new 1440p monitor.

And wouldn't you know it, the arms aren't wide enough to place the monitors on the sides of the middle one, and they don't go high enough to have them at the upper corners.

God drat.

You weren’t able to mount the Nexus Monitor?

I’m not following the explanation behind it. And on another note - if I buy the Nixeus do I need to do anything special? Or just plug in DisplayPort, set the refresh to 144hz and play games on my i5/1070?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 19, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

There are loads of decent 4k/32" monitors. I'm not aware of any outstanding options that aren't silly expensive.

There is really no good source for all-around monitor reviews. Almost no one reviews them in a way that is even slightly competent and objective, and the places that do don't have the budget to review many of them. In general, monitor shopping is about picking out a few options that look attractive, and then trying to find out how common problems are.

TFT Central is an excellent resource - highly recommended.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What’s up with all the 27” Inch 4K announcements? Is anyone surprised that they’re choosing 27” for the next defacto standard? I would have thought 30” or 32” would have been ideal.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What’s the best 27” 4K monitor today?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

TheFluff posted:

"it depends"

Do you want high refresh rate? HDR? Exceptional color reproduction? Basically, what are you going to use it for? Also, what's your budget?

High Refresh Rate for gaming but I strongly prefer an IPS.

Any reason why the 30-32" Inch 4k Displays aren't an more popular? Dropping a grand on a display I'm going to have for the next several years doesn't sound so unreasonable...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

Unless there's a new Gsync module, it's still deeply compromised.

Anything that doesn't support HDMI 2.1 or DP 2.0 cannot really properly do 4k 144.

What do I lose with this?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Cygni posted:

DSC hasnt been really reviewed by anyone at 4k 144hz yet, so I would hesitate to say everything is gonna be hunky dory until it hits the streets. The reason it was left out in the Gysnc Ultimate monitors was the assumption that anyone that cared about color was going to run at 98hz (to get full HDR+full color) anyway due to the compression artifacts DSC would introduce. If thats true, and the artifacts are that bad/noticable, then it does not solve the problem bandwidth problem for 4k/144hz.

The LG may be the first panel that hits the streets and lets people test those assumptions.

So if I don’t want compression and still want 144hz how long are we waiting until this exists? Sounds like we are over a year out given the CES Announcements weren’t that great.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

We need HDMI 2.1/DP 2.0 on GPUs, which will probably come with Nvidia's next generation of GPUs. Then we need monitors that support it, which will probably come late this year or around this time next year. The only actually good current 4k displays are the LG OLED TVs, which already support HDMI 2.1, VRR, and 120hz, but of course there's nothing to properly drive them and you have the inherent issues of OLED.

Forget HDR and you can do this easily. The Nixeus EDG-27s v2 is the default recommendation, it's got a lovely stand but an excellent freesync implementation and it's cheap enough that if you care you can either buy a good stand or get the non-s version which has a better stand. You CAN spend more, and the LG 27GL850 is really good if you can still find one at a good price, but in general the monitor space is in this weird hiatus right now where a lot of things are going out of production but nothing substantially better seems likely to come soon. Most of the CES announcements were unimpressive, and they tend to not actually be available for 6+ months anyway.

Not only does HDR not really exist on monitors, it's pointless. Monitors are already eye-searingly bright by default at the distances you view them from, and until we get microled or something you're not going to see anything with OLED level blacks in the monitor space.

Great post, this should be added to the OP.

Why is HDR pointless on monitors but not TVs? They’re super bright no?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

To actually use VRR, you have to do several things :

Set your refresh rate to 144hz.
Enable Gsync in the Nvidia control panel.
Use the new framerate cap in the Nvidia drives to cap your framerate to 140 FPS. (it's actually good now, you don't need to use RTSS anymore)

Why would I set a frame rate cap to 140? Why not 144 or not even have a cap at all?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Best Buy has the LG 27GL850-B back up on their eBay page https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-UltraGe...L8AAOSw-qNdvMcH

Amazon has it listed again as well, but it's not back in stock until the 7th of February. https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL850-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07TD94TQF/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lg+27gl850&qid=1579327985&sr=8-3

Outside of the stand is this any better than the Nixeus EDG-27s v2?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Just chiming in,

I recently got the Nixeus NX-EDG27. For price, it is worth it however the monitor is completely barebones. The A/C Adapter is an external unit, the stand worthless, the cheapest plastic and rather bland than minimal style. The speakers are so bad they shouldn't have be included and there are no USB Connections.

Performance on the other hand is fantastic.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Why can't you make it 32" you fuuuucks

Same. I’d want a 4K Monitor to start at no less than 30”.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/TFTCentral/status/1381856319624331264?s=20

4k @ 144hz is coming! :getin:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I really want to know how much it's going to cost and it's not G-Sync but Adaptive Sync? Not sure if that's a big deal but I think I would want the official G-Sync Certification?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

K8.0 posted:

A lot of people are waiting on the same thing, <$1k 32" 4k displays. They should be out soon-ish. Probably still 6+ months until we know if they're any good or not, though.

:same:

This is my end goal. Some of them even have freaking built-in KVMs! :krad:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

That's not bad but I kind of wish it was at least a 30" display? I feel like 4k on anything less is just going to be too small?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

TheFluff posted:

You'd typically run 27" 4K displays with 150% UI scaling so things are the same size as on a 1440p monitor with the same physical dimensions. You buy 4K for crisper text rendering, basically. Whether this is noticeable/important or not is a matter of subjective perception; some people seem to care more about spatial resolution (crispness/sharpness in a static image) while others care more about temporal resolution (smooth motion with lack of ghosting/smearing; you get this with higher refresh rates rather than with more pixels).

Is windows upscaling still kind of bugged at 150%? I thought for a while things didn't look right unless it was 100% or 200%.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

TheDK posted:

The most impressive monitor speaker I've ever heard is this:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo...p?skuId=6453646

I gave one to my wife. The speaker is built into the panel so it's essentially a 27" speaker and it sounds way better than I expected. Basically the panel vibrates and emits the sound. It's not noticeably vibrating when in use but if you touch it you can feel it bumpin'.

I think it does some level of sound-tracking/stereo-surround as well, at least as much as it can when it's all in front of you.

:drat:

Turn this into a 30" with 4k or a Ultrawide and Lenovo can have all my money.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Question for the thread,

What do you all prefer a 34" Ultrawide 3440 x 1440 144hz Refresh GSync or a 4k 27-32" 4k 3840 x 2160 144hz Refresh?

Or has anyone dived into the ridiculous LG 49WL95C-W

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 15, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Gigabyte M32U for $640 with the coupon code EMCBPAZ33 (possibly only applicable to newsletter subscribers—you can sign up and then apply the code if necessary): https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168240...A5A&ignorebbr=1

How the hell is this so cheap? This almost seems too good be true and even the TFT Central review is good? Also, I'm not sure if this has been asked before but what do goons prefer? An ultrawide or a 4k monitor?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 11, 2022

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's the best monitor cleaner?

Way back in the day I had some kind of electronics clear that almost always made every LCD Screen look brand new but I cannot find it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

M32U for $600: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083GRVFXN (this discount is also at best buy and newegg) (review)

How is this so freaking cheap?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there a goon monitor guide anywhere? Or what's the default 27" 1440p recommendation?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Looking at display prices, how are goons making the decision between a 27" 1440p with OLED and crazy high refresh rates of 240hz+ vs. enormous ultrawides?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's extremely impressive how much monitor you are able to buy with your money today. I remember stacking Office Depot coupons to grab a 19" Full HD NEC Monitor for a couple hundred back in 2005. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there any actual difference between using DP or HDMI assuming that they are the more recent version? Is one any better than the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I really want that new LG OLED. The integrated speaker in the 32GS95UE-B that's included sounds really, really interesting.