Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Ophiuchus
Jan 31, 2007

by T. Finninho

A student posted:

Does anyone know how to get the jewels to make a bejeweled walking stick?

There are several ways to get diamonds and sapphires, but currently the only way I know to get venom-rubies is to have "A Day at the Races" (Fate option on an opportunity card) and win a race.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Anyone have a good place to get Greyfields 1882s? I need like 200 of them for my Ambition and they seem pretty rare to find.

A lot of the actions in Veilgarden can get you those. What's your Persuasive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sir Ophiuchus posted:

There are several ways to get diamonds and sapphires, but currently the only way I know to get venom-rubies is to have "A Day at the Races" (Fate option on an opportunity card) and win a race.

A lot of the actions in Veilgarden can get you those. What's your Persuasive?

Persuasive is only at 20. I'll keep grinding it up in Veilgarden until I find a good source of the 1882s.

(edit) ah, looks like I can get some from seducing the honey-sipping heiress.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2011

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Using the name Firestomp for this, so just add me if you need anything.

Also, according to a friend of mine who's played for a while, there use to be certain cards and items that you could only get by talking to some of the games characters through twitter. I'm looking through most of the accounts now, and it all just seems like random chatter. Anyone know if the interactions still give you anything in the game?

Sir Ophiuchus
Jan 31, 2007

by T. Finninho
Interacting with the NPCs on Twitter is always fun, but usually doesn't give you anything special. Every so often Mr_Wines gives out bottles of new wines via Twitter.

You should follow anyone that Mr_Names follows, though. They're the game's official NPCs, and are roleplayed really well.

And it's possible to bargain with Mr_Eaten on Twitter. But don't do that. That would be insane.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Recently, I mucked around in insanity when my nightmares got too high. It turns out that for one ambition (didn't write down its name), you'll need to go insane and raise your "meet with the manager" stat to 5 in order to continue it. So if you're doing that ambition, the trick is to not ever look out your window, that just lowers nightmares. All the other red-bordered cards have a random chance of either increasing tracking down the manager, or lowering nightmares. The opportunity where you're invited to look at a woman's fossil collection always increases your tracking stat if you decline her invitation, while the man's invitation to look at the stars should only be used if you're running low on nightmare, in which case you should go with him for increased nightmares.

I'm not sure if anyone will ever benefit from this info, but I put it out here just in case.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I just got to the point in the Vake's quest where you have to go to jail. There are two challenges you need to overcome once you do so. The first is a Watchful challenge which was "almost impossible" to me at 50 and a Dangerous challenge which was "almost impossible" at 53.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008
I started playing this just yesterday and ran into this card that gave me the option of spending 3 Fate to get to a new area - I took the option, but I can't do anything in this new area. I can participate in races, but all the challenges are "nearly impossible" (my highest stat is 15 right now). I've bought a couple hats to try and mingle with the crowds, but those are "nearly impossible" as well.

Should I just leave the area? Will I be able to come back later? I don't want my 3 fate points to go to waste :saddowns:

edit: is there a way to draw a new opportunity card without using the current one? My current card asks me if I want to bet on the races and my only option is a bald man with a knife. I'd rather not bet on him and get a new card, but I can't find a way to do that.

Nagna Zul fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 14, 2011

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Nagna Zul posted:

I started playing this just yesterday and ran into this card that gave me the option of spending 3 Fate to get to a new area - I took the option, but I can't do anything in this new area. I can participate in races, but all the challenges are "nearly impossible" (my highest stat is 15 right now). I've bought a couple hats to try and mingle with the crowds, but those are "nearly impossible" as well.

Should I just leave the area? Will I be able to come back later? I don't want my 3 fate points to go to waste :saddowns:

edit: is there a way to draw a new opportunity card without using the current one? My current card asks me if I want to bet on the races and my only option is a bald man with a knife. I'd rather not bet on him and get a new card, but I can't find a way to do that.

Yeah I did the same thing when I first started, the Shroom-hopping races are very inviting, but pretty pointless unless you have mid-range stats, preferably in each one. You also can't discard cards at the races, which is a feature according to the official twitter.

Nagna Zul
Aug 9, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

Yeah I did the same thing when I first started, the Shroom-hopping races are very inviting, but pretty pointless unless you have mid-range stats, preferably in each one. You also can't discard cards at the races, which is a feature according to the official twitter.

Should I leave? Will I be able to come back later (without spending fate)?

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

In this as Hypnic Jerk. For the Shadowy and the Persuasive, add me and we'll be BFF.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Nagna Zul posted:

Should I leave? Will I be able to come back later (without spending fate)?

It's best to leave - you'll lose the fate, but it's better to get on with doing other things and levelling up. You'll be able to get small amounts of Fate playing the game later on, which is useful for cards like those.

MacFisticuffs
Mar 14, 2010

Get back in the van.
I got this.
I just got into this game a couple days ago and man, this game is DENSE. I can't shake the feeling I'm just sort of staggering around and wasting adventures.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
poo poo, this is how web-based RPGs should be! In as Rueish.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Felt like giving this a try on a whim. Joined as Gabriel Syme. Any tips for Persuasive+Watchful characters?

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I really like this. I could use some facebook friends, but I don't want to give it out on here. What a bummer. It has all my little storylets locked on to "invite a friend for" social networking crap. Is there anyway to make that go away and get back to whispering secrets and such?

Wutasumi
Apr 25, 2006

AG: 8ut I was such a confused kid! I didn't know anything a8out what killing really means.
In as RTFMSmith

Seems pretty good for a browser game so far.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

MacFisticuffs posted:

I just got into this game a couple days ago and man, this game is DENSE. I can't shake the feeling I'm just sort of staggering around and wasting adventures.

There's essentially no way to waste adventures. If you're failing, you're still progressing your core stats. Worst case is that you have to spend 10+ actions getting out of a menace area.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Hello Jonathan Jackwitz! I think there must be a misunderstanding. I accepted your invitation to rob The Museum of Mistakes not realizing that my stats are no-where near high enough to be of any assistance. Wish I could help you but there you go.

Also I'm not sure why you mailed me 11 Fate but, um, thanks! :)

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I'm not entirely sure what's going on in this game but I'm having fun regardless. Joining in as Antonio Mocker.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

What Fun posted:

I really like this. I could use some facebook friends, but I don't want to give it out on here. What a bummer. It has all my little storylets locked on to "invite a friend for" social networking crap. Is there anyway to make that go away and get back to whispering secrets and such?

It sounds like you're in your lodgings. Press the 'Travel' button and try going somewhere else, see if that does anything for you.

El_Molestadore
Apr 2, 2005

Time to die hero
As someone else said this is like something straight out of China Mieville's books. I really like the writing so far :)

I added a bunch of you on Twitter, and here is my link:

Crypticant

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I can count the browser/Facebook games I haven't hated on sight on one hand, and this is proving to be my favourite of them all - and I blame the writing too, it's both witty and intriguing, and I am a sucker for urban fantasy.

I'm not sure whether I'll stick with running this on my personal Twitter or switch to a purpose-built account, but in the meantime I'll certainly follow some people and try and get deeper into this!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2011

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Love the writing! In on twitter as madjnunofirem.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Well my lovelies, an uncommon fungus, the Blush-Apple has fallen into my possession. Since it is currently the Feast of the Exceptional Rose, and time to let our desires run free and be fulfilled, I will send this to the first person to reply.

I like to see our little thread here grow by that thing that binds us together, the Bazaar, and it's been good lately so I'm happy to pass on a little token of affection.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Well, why not get into the spirit of the festivities? My twitter account is the same name as here, without spaces or other such punctuation.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I started playing a few days ago and have enjoyed myself a great deal. Twitter name is Kumeatel; look me up!

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Dallan, enjoy the gift of admiration and the envy of your peers it brings with it.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Added a few of you to mine. I'm on as (Twitter) Quasipox

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Is there any way to connect my account that I already made with Facebook to a Twitter? I used Facebook because I don't have Twitter but it means I can't do all the stuff that needs other people without trying to get real life friends to start playing

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Is there any way to connect my account that I already made with Facebook to a Twitter? I used Facebook because I don't have Twitter but it means I can't do all the stuff that needs other people without trying to get real life friends to start playing

I think there's an option on the home screen that allows you to link to the service you didn't use to create it.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Just found Echo Bazaar this week and I'm loving it. It's like the bastard child of Edward Gorey and Miss Havisham.

My Ebz twitter is La_Poodle, add me if you wish. I've added some of you.

Has anyone tried the coffee Failbetter left us last night? Rather nice of them.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Hmm. The description says it should refill my actions, which is good; I'm out of actions.

Unfortunately, it seems to require an action to use...

Balls.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

catfrog posted:

Just found Echo Bazaar this week and I'm loving it. It's like the bastard child of Edward Gorey and Miss Havisham.

My Ebz twitter is La_Poodle, add me if you wish. I've added some of you.

Has anyone tried the coffee Failbetter left us last night? Rather nice of them.

Yes, it's rather powerful, even if you lose an action using it...

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
started playing this game on sunday, already pretty persuasive. anyone can add me at chadlicious on twitter

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm at persuasive 45 and I'm pretty much done with this. I log in click a bunch to fill up a bar a little and then log out. I did get exiled briefly, that was alright.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
real quick. have a hard time figuring out how to add twitter people on this game. can only do facebook

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you follow someone on twitter and they have a character, they should be added automatically.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.
My twitter is derekkatz. It's theoretically my personal account, but... I never use it, so it might as well be for this. I've just started, and I was planning on going Shadowy/Watchful, but Watchful/Persuasive seems more interesting. Maybe I'll do all three!

I'd love any tips for the early game anyone can give. I got the idea that I should find a place to live early on, so I did that. What's next? Just stat up?

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

John Pastor posted:

My twitter is derekkatz. It's theoretically my personal account, but... I never use it, so it might as well be for this. I've just started, and I was planning on going Shadowy/Watchful, but Watchful/Persuasive seems more interesting. Maybe I'll do all three!

I'd love any tips for the early game anyone can give. I got the idea that I should find a place to live early on, so I did that. What's next? Just stat up?

The whole game is mostly statting up, yeah. If you don't take the time to read the writing, though, you're pretty much missing about 90% of the game because that's the main draw for most people, myself included. The other 10% of the game comes from statting up other stuff aside from your main 4 stats. For instance, I've currently made the Acquaintance of a Repentant Forger when I was sent to prison: the next time I died, I happened to draw an opportunity card that allowed me to recall the time I spent with the Forger and thus pull myself that much closer back to life.

Regardless of which pair of main stats you find yourself drawn to, try to get a headstart on your Ambition as soon as possible, and make sure you're on the right Ambition: there's one for every possible pairing. For example, my Dangerous/Watchful Ambition is to hunt down the Vake, a legendary monster that haunts Fallen London... though some people say that it's just a man who puts on a costume to flutter through the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Well, I wanted to try this out but they're doing maintenance right now. From the perspective of someone who doesn't have any idea how the game works the discussion in this thread is absolutely incomprehensible, in a good way.

I'm looking forward to having some persuasive nightmares of fateful ambition.