Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is the new map not working for anyone else?

Edit:

Nevermind! I got it to load! and it's gorgeous!

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

New map is really nice looking but I'm still getting used to it.

I'm a big fan of April's exceptional story. It really spoke to me with a surprisingly touching end. Cats and Parabola are probably my favorite type of story at this point (even Borrowed Glory which was so bugged that they gave out storyline resets).

quote:

As the crowds cheer your name, you can't help but wonder why the cats of London are so very terrible.

Really looking forward to the third story and the bonus.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 31, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Decided to cowboy up and get cracking on Nemesis since I only recently found out it's finished. I am immediately stumped because I never found a Bat with Attitude.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Caidin posted:

Decided to cowboy up and get cracking on Nemesis since I only recently found out it's finished. I am immediately stumped because I never found a Bat with Attitude.

There's a new, non-RNG based way to get one now if you're really stuck (since a lot of other people had this problem.) To start it you have to get five criminal favors and go to prison.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Double Plus Undead posted:

There's a new, non-RNG based way to get one now if you're really stuck (since a lot of other people had this problem.) To start it you have to get five criminal favors and go to prison.

Oh, well handy that! Time to go botch a heist I think...

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

Oh, never change, Fallen London RNG. I've seen so many people say they've never seen a Bat With Attitude, and I'm sitting on a dozen of the drat things.

Caidin posted:

Oh, well handy that! Time to go botch a heist I think...
If you want to avoid a criminal record, make sure you botch the Brass Embassy robbery.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
I guess they're adding light fingers, but in addition they added a ton of university content where you get a lab, and can get a parabolan base-camp, from it amongst other neat new grinds to work on

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

everyone was so proud of voting for Virginia, who was a puppet for Big Temperance. people laughed at Shoshana coming in last. well now i get to skip the grind for 1000 first city coins. enjoy dismal reality, fuckers, i'm doing tarot

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Goodness, I am enjoying my lab.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Forward Toward posted:

Goodness, I am enjoying my lab.

Yeah, I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm doing a lot of it.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm doing a lot of it.

Grabbed this off Reddit a while ago, might help with lab - there's a lot going on!

https://pastebin.com/q5mdJUjv

In other news, The Legend is Bagged, I have a couple of Vake parts for new weapons, the Bazaar owes me big time, and all in all that was a ton of excellent new stuff to do.

Seems like everyone at Failbetter is going all-in on more FL content soon too.

A host of exciting changes are planned for Fallen London, including...

—Venture forth from your PARABOLAN BASE CAMP to hunt the HONEY-MAZED BEAR!

—Increase your DANGEROUS, PERSUASIVE, SHADOWY and WATCHFUL abilities to NEW and GIDDY HEIGHTS!

Aid in the CONSTRUCTION of London's new railway! NEGOTIATE with the Tracklayers Union. ESTABLISH a route to the MAGISTRACY OF THE EVENLODE, the only human law west of London (even if half of it is UNDERWATER and occupied by PREHISTORIC SEA MONSTERS!)

—Choose to EMBARK upon one of three ENIGMATIC paths allowing your character to meet a FINAL END and embark on a NEW BEGINNING. Experience Fallen London through FRESH EYES to uncover NEW SECRETS and PECULIAR VARIATIONS.

We hope you'll join us for many more adventures and mysteries in the months to come!

In the meantime, there's new numbers to make bigger:

Think I'm near the end of Light Fingers on alt character as well. Still at the stage of feeding questionable things to the baby, and looking forward to my upcoming marriage to Poor Edward! This is a very hosed-up interesting 'ambition'.

Then 'Whitsun' just came out of nowhere - looks like a bit of light-hearted fun, nothing creepy:
https://community.failbettergames.com/topic27877-whitsun--th-may.aspx

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord
With all this Ambition completion talk I'm thinking about resuming my own progress on Heart's Desire. It's been a long time since I did anything towards it. I never even hit the previous content boundary because I knew it wasn't finished yet, and that killed my motivation.

Is there anywhere I could find a vague summary of earlier stages to refresh my memory of what's going on? I'm up to returning to the King of a Hundred Hearts in Polythreme, and I recall this involved the Manager of the Royal Beth in some way too, but unsure how, and everything before that is a hazy blur . I know Failbetter try to keep a lid on Ambition spoilers which is fair enough, so I guess I might just be out of luck. I also seem to recall there was some sort of a story summary function available a while back, but then it was removed for some reason?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
what's the best way to get magnificent diamonds reliably, because I've been waiting for the "An implausible penance" card for a full week and I need three to continue heart's desire

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

what's the best way to get magnificent diamonds reliably, because I've been waiting for the "An implausible penance" card for a full week and I need three to continue heart's desire

Do the Envoy of Arbor heist and steal the succession laws, then trade them in to the London Ambassador. That will net you one diamond a heist (plus some other stuff.) Alternatively, become a Murderer and wait 2 weeks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Do the Envoy of Arbor heist and steal the succession laws, then trade them in to the London Ambassador. That will net you one diamond a heist (plus some other stuff.) Alternatively, become a Murderer and wait 2 weeks.

nice ty

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I am doing the nemesis ambition and have been trying to get the Bat with Attitude for months. I've had the appropriate card pop up once or twice, and apparently you have to pass a luck based check to get it. This is rather frustrating. Are there are any shortcuts or tricks to bypassing this? As always, Failbetter excels at writing and world building and fails at game design, badly.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

dihaploidy posted:

With all this Ambition completion talk I'm thinking about resuming my own progress on Heart's Desire. It's been a long time since I did anything towards it. I never even hit the previous content boundary because I knew it wasn't finished yet, and that killed my motivation.

Is there anywhere I could find a vague summary of earlier stages to refresh my memory of what's going on? I'm up to returning to the King of a Hundred Hearts in Polythreme, and I recall this involved the Manager of the Royal Beth in some way too, but unsure how, and everything before that is a hazy blur . I know Failbetter try to keep a lid on Ambition spoilers which is fair enough, so I guess I might just be out of luck. I also seem to recall there was some sort of a story summary function available a while back, but then it was removed for some reason?

I had hit the content cap before they released the ending, and they did put together a recap you can go through once you hit that point.

In the meantime, the wiki does have a detailed breakdown of the whole thing, but it is a little hard to follow and might be more spoilery than you were looking for:

https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Ambition:_Heart%27s_Desire!

I'm working on it currently and there are a lot of grindy bits to it. Right now I'm stuck waiting on a specific opportunity card to come up. Again.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am doing the nemesis ambition and have been trying to get the Bat with Attitude for months. I've had the appropriate card pop up once or twice, and apparently you have to pass a luck based check to get it. This is rather frustrating. Are there are any shortcuts or tricks to bypassing this? As always, Failbetter excels at writing and world building and fails at game design, badly.
Once it became required to finish Nemesis, Failbetter added a non-luck method of scoring a Bat With Attitude. I don't think it's highly visible, though; you have to go back to prison with five Criminals favours.

VV Or what they said.

UrbanUrsine fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 7, 2020

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

prometheusbound2 posted:

There's a more reliable way to get one now. The steps are:

1. Go to jail (make sure you have 5 criminal favours first).
2. Draw an opportunity card called "A favour for an old friend."
3. Go to the Tomb-Colonies.
4. Draw an opportunity card called "Flowers for Peter". (It costs 5 tomb-colonist favours to play the option on this one; those are pretty easy to come by in the tomb colonies, but it wouldn't hurt to already have them.)
5. Go back to jail.
6. Draw the opportunity card "A favour for an old friend."
7. Love your new, angry bat.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'm prepping for what I'll need later on in The Marvellous (While I'm patiently waiting for the 1cp more of Nightmares I need to talk to The Manager), and simultaneously kicking myself over some of the things I decided to sell for my Overgoats. The worst was definitely the spare Ray-Drenched Cinder I got from a seasonal wrap-up. I now have one Eyeless Skull and a lot of archaeology and tainted cards ahead of me. I'm also feeling the absence of all those Nights on the Town I had stocked up as an Author. I think I sold off a bunch of Blackmail Material, too.

Incidentally, it's Fate spoilers that Failbetter likes to keep under wraps. Ambitions are fair game.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

There's a more reliable way to get one now. The steps are:

1. Go to jail (make sure you have 5 criminal favours first).
2. Draw an opportunity card called "A favour for an old friend."
3. Go to the Tomb-Colonies.
4. Draw an opportunity card called "Flowers for Peter". (It costs 5 tomb-colonist favours to play the option on this one; those are pretty easy to come by in the tomb colonies, but it wouldn't hurt to already have them.)
5. Go back to jail.
6. Draw the opportunity card "A favour for an old friend."
7. Love your new, angry bat.

Painfully convoluted is a lot better than horribly luck driven. Thank you.

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had hit the content cap before they released the ending, and they did put together a recap you can go through once you hit that point.

Oh great thanks! In that case I'll keep on going until I hit the recap in-game.

Qylvaran posted:

Incidentally, it's Fate spoilers that Failbetter likes to keep under wraps. Ambitions are fair game.

Oh this makes more sense with money changing hands, I'll keep that in mind too.

In other news in case anyone missed it, because I don't think it's been discussed in this thread: they've announced they're going to be changing exceptional friend stories to unlock automatically as long as you have exceptional friendship at the relevant times. I've been in a recurring cycle of getting close to the story changeover time and checking which stories came from which month to double check that I've unlocked the latest one, so this sounds nice to me. Alongside this they'll also be doing away with the three story season + conclusion format soon, in favour of a currency obtained from the stories that can be spent at Mr Chimes.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

dihaploidy posted:

Oh great thanks! In that case I'll keep on going until I hit the recap in-game.

If you want more context to what you're currently doing, here's the recap up to where you're at.

Long ago, in Veilgarden, you first heard of the Marvellous: a card game whose prize was the winner's heart's desire. The game was only played rarely, during obscure astrological conjunctions. However, if all the players agreed, the Marvellous could convene early. You also discovered that there were currently six players, among them a cardsharp monkey.

Rekindling the monkey's desire to play, he pointed you to another player, the Bishop of St Fiacre's. The Bishop informed you of two more – the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem and the Topsy King. He also told you of the initial stake: 77 First City coins.

The Topsy King had no desire to play again. In an effort to convince him, you uncovered his past: he was Tristram Bagley, who had once tried to compose an impossible opera played on glass instruments. His sister, Cora Bagley, who clearly had some connection with your cardsharp monkey, told you that Tristram had gambled his mind away during the Marvellous as a final, desperate stake. If some of the opera could be performed, he might remember something of himself.

Staging a performance of the opera, you temporarily restored Tristram's mind. He agreed to play the Marvellous, and told you that the Manager had bluffed him into losing his mind.

The Manager was your next target. He would play, on the condition that you travelled to the living city of Polythreme and released him from his oath to its King of a Hundred Hearts. The King and the Manager had been lovers in the days of the First City, but were now estranged. You won the King around by returning a shard of its heart that had been stolen by urchins.

PS I strongly advise against researching an impossible theorem in your lab unless you really don't have anything else to do.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Been a while since I was active on this. Last thing I did was finish off an Uber goat, and there wasn’t much else to do except grind scrap. Looks like there is now!

Time to get back in 😄

dihaploidy
Oct 31, 2010

Buglord

BBJoey posted:

If you want more context to what you're currently doing, here's the recap up to where you're at.

SPOILERS.

Even better! Thank you for that.

I'm dihaploidy in-game too if anyone wants another target for social actions and such.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Is anyone aware of something that would cause the Seekers of the Garden opportunity card not to come up? I need it to move on with the Heart's Desire storyline, and I've burned through hundreds of turns waiting for it and the drat thing just isn't showing up.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is anyone aware of something that would cause the Seekers of the Garden opportunity card not to come up? I need it to move on with the Heart's Desire storyline, and I've burned through hundreds of turns waiting for it and the drat thing just isn't showing up.

yeah it took forever for me, i just had to keep checking to see whether he had decided to hide in my lab and chasing him back out into my full deck for like 2 days.

And getting irritated that i couldn't broach the subject when i visited him with my music-hall singer

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Residual Toast posted:

yeah it took forever for me, i just had to keep checking to see whether he had decided to hide in my lab and chasing him back out into my full deck for like 2 days.

And getting irritated that i couldn't broach the subject when i visited him with my music-hall singer

Okay, the card finally dropped for me. I guess it took me whining it about it online for the RNG to relent.

Edit: Welp, looks like the next step is doing the same opportunity card grind but for the Arbor card this time. :negative:

Edit2: And now I've been to Arbor twice and the option for Heart's Desire isn't showing up. Goddamnit.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 9, 2020

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Heart's Desire spoilers: Went to Parabola and the person there mentioned that previous winners could be helpful as to how to win. Can I find one of those? Where? The cave wall had signatures from a bunch of people, notably Tristram Bagley, apparently Death?? Maybe the Merry Gentleman and some I didn't get at all. Tristram is playing this time, so I'm not sure if I'm interpreting the signatures correctly, but I'm wondering if dying would give me hints. Otherwise it's time to wait for some rosy dreams.

Also: what is the tax for dying? I recall what I lose if Nightmares and Scandal rise too high, but not what Wounds do. Similarly, I know that gaining high Suspicion is extra bad because of a criminal record that stays forever, but I've been a bit unsure whether that's something that's a result of repeated jail visits. In other words: am I safe if I go to jail once only?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hempuli posted:

Can I find one of those? Where?
I'm at around the same place, but I think you need to progress a bit further in order to find the clues your character needs to seek out those players.

Hempuli posted:

Also: what is the tax for dying? ... Am I safe if I go to jail once only?
Dying basically just costs you time. Jail can be safely reached any number of times by failing to rob the Brass Embassy.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, does anyone have an idea why the Heart's Desire option wouldn't show up in Arbor? I've been burning turns just to get the card, get to Arbor, then burn turns trying to get the Heart's Desire choice to show up.

I have all the prerequisites - lots of First City coins, more than 3 attar, and my Ambition shows as being the required 250. But still, nothing.

I've been searching online but find nothing that would explain this. I'd wondered if this was a case where you have to have EXACTLY the right amount of coins, but I see nothing that says that is the case. This is really getting frustrating.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

To get permission, you need to be at the palace, which is all the way south. To play the game, you need to go all the way north to the temple.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Also, you need to be in Far Arbor, which requires 5 or more Attar.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, thanks - I'll keep grinding through turns hopping in and out of my lab.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Man I hope this new festival starting tomorrow doesn't require drawing opportunity cards. I have three eyeless skulls and three no-no cards clogging my hand. I suppose I could just use the two mood cards I've been saving for a rainy day. Which hat would be most useful for first time exploration of parabola?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Qylvaran posted:

I suppose I could just use the two mood cards I've been saving for a rainy day. Which hat would be most useful for first time exploration of parabola?

Oddly enough, Dangerous. Lots of hunting.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Whitsun's on, friends

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I got my Cinder! And then I decided to spend 25 real american dollars on fake eggs. :homebrew:

Some things I've observed:

Selling an augmented scarlet egg to the Apicus Club gets you 50 Warm Amber for 6 actions and about even echo cost/gain apart from the amber. If you save up a big stash of it, you can grind up Rubbery Renown way faster than normal since you can get 7 favors at a time from the faction card in exchange for 100 Warm Amber.

Now that there are 3 readily available nightmare reduction items (Auroch-Fur Coat, Bejewelled Cane, and Cheerful Goldfish) and a shortcut to get out of A State of Some Confusion at 5 Nightmares (if you are heartless enough to take The Manager's button instead of giving Tristram his mind back), it's possible to enter the carnival mirror and return to London immediately with no penalty. If they keep Hallowmas the same as last year, this could be exploited to reach an insane level of Echoes per Action. Hallowmas gets changed up more frequently and drastically than most of the other holidays though, so it probably won't work.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I might spend something on Fate for the festival once I finally wrap up Heart's Desire - it has required a LOT of grinding so far. And it's been a bit expensive in terms of items and echoes, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, I might spend something on Fate for the festival once I finally wrap up Heart's Desire - it has required a LOT of grinding so far. And it's been a bit expensive in terms of items and echoes, too.

Oh, you are in for some more of that - this comes very late in Heart's Desire

It is optional, there are cheaper and easier alternatives, but...unique item!