Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

That one wasn't too bad for me, as a habitual player of exceptional stories. Virginia, on the other hand, can gently caress straight off with her required item. (still putting HD on hold to grind for that option though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BBJoey posted:

That one wasn't too bad for me, as a habitual player of exceptional stories. Virginia, on the other hand, can gently caress straight off with her required item. (still putting HD on hold to grind for that option though)

Is that even grindable? I was able to do Pages' one since I had one of those on-hand, but Virginia's requirement seems impossible for me to get.

Does anyone know what the quality Mastery of the Marvellous actually does, outside of being a requirement to move on? It requires 3 to get to the next step, and I currently have 4, and to get 5 would require the above-mentioned impossible interaction with Virginia.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

To get a Location, you need to either save up 3200 scraps or sell a different Location to the agents of The Great Game.

ETA: Fortunately, from what I've heard, extra credit doesn't count for training.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 15, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

To get a Location, you need to either save up 3200 scraps or sell a different Location to the agents of The Great Game.

Yeah, I'm only about halfway to that total of scraps and that other ship has sailed, so I guess I will do without.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I finished up Heart's Desire and it was pretty cool overall, but holy hell it was expensive. I was about halfway to an Overgoat before heading into the endgame, and now I'm back to looking at a long grind to make the money back again.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I know that feeling a bit. I don't really remember to check in all that often so my net worth in FL is less then 10k, and moving on to the next stage of my revenge is gonna take at least that much.

For a 60% chance of success no less.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just bought my second Overgoat about a month before the HD ending started being released. I'm probably one or two steps away from the start of the first elimination round (I just did the reverse painting heist), and I keep running into "Remember that thing you sold to buy your goat or complete a previous step? You need another one now." Currently I'm saving up for enough orphans to make zailing to the Court for a Night Whisper worth my while.

I mentioned it before, but discovering that I shouldn't have sold my spare Cinder for goat money was the worst.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Remember that you can get a night-whisper from the Fidgeting Writer questline.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hempuli posted:

Remember that you can get a night-whisper from the Fidgeting Writer questline.

Thanks for reminding me why I hate that quest line. Also I'm now out of brilliant souls.

UrbanUrsine
Oct 17, 2007

Qylvaran posted:

Thanks for reminding me why I hate that quest line. Also I'm now out of brilliant souls.

You can also get Night-Whispers from expeditions in the Fallen Quarter. The Shrine of the Deep Blue Heaven has about a 1-in-8 chance of giving you two of them.

I haven't run an Expedition in long enough to know what the odds are of getting them from any of the new ones.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'm hanging out with tigers right now. I did get two night whispers from that dig while looking for skulls, but I used one earlier in the ambition and sold the other. Anyways it's fine. I'm always happy to pick up another plated seal.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Hey is one of you Captain Sarcastic?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hey is one of you Captain Sarcastic?

I'm CaptainSarcastic in Fallen London, too.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm CaptainSarcastic in Fallen London, too.

You sent me, Ambrose Pembroke, a really thoughtful gift and I was wondering which of the whitsun pets you'd like in return.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dr Cheeto posted:

You sent me, Ambrose Pembroke, a really thoughtful gift and I was wondering which of the whitsun pets you'd like in return.

I honestly have no idea what any of them are, so whatever works for you is fine with me. Thank you for wanting to return the favor - I appreciate it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I'm near the end of Heart's Desire and I need a reported location of a one-time prince of hell, having already gotten them and used them from the cave of the nadir and virginia years and years ago

is there any other way to get one other than a frankly absurd amount of scraps

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

I'm near the end of Heart's Desire and I need a reported location of a one-time prince of hell, having already gotten them and used them from the cave of the nadir and virginia years and years ago

is there any other way to get one other than a frankly absurd amount of scraps

Those are your options. Fortunately you don't need Virginia's training to continue. Any three will do.

Funny thing, but even if I didn't still have the Location I traded the other Location for, I am currently less than a hundred scraps short of buying a new one. Time to decide which relicker to give them to.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

Those are your options. Fortunately you don't need Virginia's training to continue. Any three will do.

Funny thing, but even if I didn't still have the Location I traded the other Location for, I am currently less than a hundred scraps short of buying a new one. Time to decide which relicker to give them to.

oh thank gently caress, I was already getting v. annoyed by the grinding and if they locked it behind loving scraps of all things I was going to take a break for a year or something

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Before you move on, don't skip Pages's training. It's expensive, but there's a unique item.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

Before you move on, don't skip Pages's training. It's expensive, but there's a unique item.

just did it. p. cool and an interesting bit of lore too!

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Come back to this and there’s all this new end game stuff! Parabola, Labs, Ambitions!

Game really needed it, enjoying all the new stuff :D

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anybody see a glitch with the weekly rollover last week? My Notability decreased when it shouldn't have, and I got double email notices about the rollover, which I suspect is related.

Since they seem to have decoupled Notability and stat increase beyond 200 it is less of a problem and more of an annoyance, so I haven't followed up with Failbetter yet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

How long has the Clay Taylor club been open? Because it's perfect and I need to become a member immediately.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

How long has the Clay Taylor club been open? Because it's perfect and I need to become a member immediately.

It just opened up this morning, alongside Sophia's, the monster-hunting society and knitting circle.

Also, this access code will allow you to visit the Temple Club three times. There's a small story there, as well as a few conversion options and difficult to acquire items (Knob of Scintillack, Carved Stygian Ivory).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It just opened up this morning, alongside Sophia's, the monster-hunting society and knitting circle.

Also, this access code will allow you to visit the Temple Club three times. There's a small story there, as well as a few conversion options and difficult to acquire items (Knob of Scintillack, Carved Stygian Ivory).

Oh wow, we have been getting so much new quality content lately. Except now I have to choose between joining the Clay Taylor and Sophia's and that's just not fair.

Another random new thing I've enjoyed: I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I felt weirdly happy being able to give the useless artist a job in my lab. It's extremely in character for my kindhearted (but also hedonistic and a little sleazy) bohemian artist to give her friend/former slampiece a place to stay on the universities dime so I'm going to be keeping him there forever despite him doing no work just because it fits so well with the narrative I have in my head.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, I am totally stumped in the current Exceptional Story. I've gone a couple steps in but for the life of me I cannot figure out the next step.

I have the glove and handkerchief, but seem to be at a dead end. I can't open the trunk in the inspector's office, and I have not found another story option anywhere I have looked. I burned a bunch of turns going to Polythreme because I thought that was hinted at, but found nothing there, either. Can anyone give me a tip on how to proceed? This is getting really frustrating.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Your next milestone is in Spite. To open it you'll need to have talked to the Dandy or Detective while wearing both items.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thank you! I swear I had done that already but tried just now and appear to be progressing.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
It’s going to be a tough choice between the election candidates this year.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Real Cool Catfish posted:

It’s going to be a tough choice between the election candidates this year.

I know, but personally I've got to go with the Rubbery man.

Cats and scientists already do very well in London, Rubbery men meanwhile could really use a win.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I think Gebrandt will be my choice; the whole city is filled with humbug!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Gebrandt or the Rubbery for me, will greatly depend on who appears to be backing him though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I am frankly far too busy building a railway, skeletons, and an increasingly terrifying understanding of Red Science to get particularly involved in politics this year. Who is the best candidate to vote for, please.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BBJoey posted:

I am frankly far too busy building a railway, skeletons, and an increasingly terrifying understanding of Red Science to get particularly involved in politics this year. Who is the best candidate to vote for, please.

That depends: do you like science, cats, or squids best?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
3200 pieces of absolutely certifiable scrap. That only took about... uh... 4 years of off and on play. Do I wanna blow this trash pile on any old relickers big payout or would one of them actually be useful at any point?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I, for one, welcome our rubbery corporate overlords.

^^^ If your ambition is Heart's Desire, there's a minor benefit to having a Location near the end. Otherwise, go with whatever suits your fancy.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 8, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Caidin posted:

3200 pieces of absolutely certifiable scrap. That only took about... uh... 4 years of off and on play. Do I wanna blow this trash pile on any old relickers big payout or would one of them actually be useful at any point?

You were unlucky! You have lost 18 scraps
You were fortunate! You have gained 20 scraps

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

You were fortunate! You have gained 20 scraps

fallen_london.txt

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Larz posted:

fallen_london.txt

like I'm pretty sure that option should be a net gain but it 100 percent is not in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

like I'm pretty sure that option should be a net gain but it 100 percent is not in my experience

Honestly I'd been on a roll for like ten double armfuls, it was honestly making me a bit suspicious. Thanks for the masterfully spoon playing Monty!

Got me a shiny new Breath of the Void! Well it's probably not shiny or new but still.