Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I haven’t touched FL in years, has the metaplot kept up with Sunless Skies? Is London now in space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm still stuck with the Hurlers and trying to get the Railroad ending I want. The spoilered help earlier hasn't let me figure it out, and I've been kind of frustratedly ignoring that content for a while. I don't think I've encountered anything in the game as frustratingly obtuse as this.

Which part specifically are you stuck on?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Beefeater1980 posted:

I haven’t touched FL in years, has the metaplot kept up with Sunless Skies? Is London now in space?

nope, I think Sunless Skies is kind of an alternate timeline

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Nah, they still have a few years, and it'll be interesting to see what the 20th century does bring to the game, but I don't think it's going to be that. I still can't help wondering if they'll just stop advancing time before it makes things too weird.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Double Plus Undead posted:

Which part specifically are you stuck on?

It's the end of the Railway storyline, which I don't think is what Failbetter said was supposed to be off-limits.

I want to have the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem be the city instead of Furnace but I'll be damned if I can get the conditions right for that to happen. I've tried to work with the help someone gave me earlier in the thread but I must be doing something wrong.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Nah, they still have a few years, and it'll be interesting to see what the 20th century does bring to the game, but I don't think it's going to be that. I still can't help wondering if they'll just stop advancing time before it makes things too weird.

I'd guess they'd go back in time to one of the earlier cities, or do Elder Continent stuff.

I haven't really played Sunless Skies even though I've owned it forever, so am not sure if there are possible jumping off points there, either.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's the end of the Railway storyline, which I don't think is what Failbetter said was supposed to be off-limits.

I want to have the Manager of the Royal Bethlehem be the city instead of Furnace but I'll be damned if I can get the conditions right for that to happen. I've tried to work with the help someone gave me earlier in the thread but I must be doing something wrong.

It shouldn't be, no. Other than Heart's Desire, You need 5+ Nightmares and the Doubles law in effect to summon the Manager at the Standing Stones. What are your values for Where the Stones Don't Stand?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

There's a new ubiquitous opportunity card that helps with feeding, I guess because it's fallen so far behind digging for event completion. It also adds Someone Is Coming, and supposedly will get stronger as time goes on.

I'm probably not going until after the event, but is going to the Khanate particularly dangerous? I haven't been out to zee since the Zeefarer update, so I don't know if I need to go to some less challenging locations first to build up the stat or if it'll be fine.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 27, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

New post for the breaking news that the Moloch Street dig site is finished, and you can go see what's been unearthed now. Man this event is more involved than I expected, that was pretty cool. I know they said the pace of content is going to be slowing down, but so far I'm still impressed with what they've done post-railroad. I haven't gotten quite this far yet, but apparently some of the items you can get from this new location can be used to fuel the other dig sites, so along with the opportunity card we seem to be speeding toward the end here.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 26, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Double Plus Undead posted:

It shouldn't be, no. Other than Heart's Desire, You need 5+ Nightmares and the Doubles law in effect to summon the Manager at the Standing Stones. What are your values for Where the Stones Don't Stand?

I'm not sure what the Doubles law is, and I'm not sure where to check the values for Where the Stones Don't Stand.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I'm probably not going until after the event, but is going to the Khanate particularly dangerous? I haven't been out to zee since the Zeefarer update, so I don't know if I need to go to some less challenging locations first to build up the stat or if it'll be fine.

The zeefarer trait isn’t of much use unfortunately (or fortunately). As long as you’ve got fairly high main stats you’ll be able to make it to the Khanate fairly easily.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when this event's over then.

Speaking of the event, the University's finished now too.

Spite finally finished fueling, which took surprisingly long considering that it was the second site to be fully dug out. The new carousels unlocked so far are:

Moloch Street: Sunken Embassy
University: Old Newgate
Spite: the Underclay Quarter

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 28, 2021

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm not sure what the Doubles law is, and I'm not sure where to check the values for Where the Stones Don't Stand.

It should be under your stories tab. Alternatively, what happens when you try to read the runes at the Hurlers?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've never really looked while content was being discovered before except for some minor event details, but it's kind of cool to see the wiki getting updated in realtime. I don't think lategame would really even be playable without the wiki given how specific a lot of item requirements are (especially since I'm extremely bad at remembering what comes from where), so I'm glad there are people willing to comprehensively detail everything on there, even if I sometimes ruin the mystery of initial exploration by looking at things earlier than I should.

The last two have been cleared now:

Singing Mandrake: Spider Symposium
Blind Helmsman: L.B. Industries

Edit: Oh holy poo poo The Stone Pigs Awaken

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 28, 2021

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
If you're at endgame, the digging has awoken something and you can spend a tier 8 item (breath of the void, veils velvet, etc...) to get a vanity quality/reward, but you need to do it within 24 hours of a bar that's like 90% filled already fills, so, more or less in the next 24 hours.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If you donate an item, you can change your title to reflect it on the urchins card if you want. It's being treated like a pretty big deal. Just in case people don't notice, there's a reward promised at the end of the event, but you also immediately get an affiliation item from it.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 28, 2021

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry
Well, there goes a crimson book...auspiferous!

For anyone who isn't Mr Cards - start at "A Conclave of the Masters, Hastily Assembled", and read upwards.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Xiani

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I never did an Ambition because I couldn't decide, but I went ahead and started Heart's Desire to become Mr. Cards, both because it's a cool ending and because it seems to be the one receiving the most lore impact. I'll feel a little owned if the story shifts heavily away from the Masters after this and I'll have missed out on the perks, but oh well. At least I'll finally be able to do the last parabola war.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Finally had some time to start playing Sunless Skies. Then I saw the event a few days ago and I thought I'd start playing Fallen London as well again.

I forgot so much from my previous run, I figured I might as well start over again. I'm up for anything:

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Ferel

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So it seems like Failbetter may have opened themselves up to some legal liabilities with Alexis Kennedy, and the contract selling the company and its IP might not even be valid.

https://weatherfactory.biz/the-rarer-action/

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I’m… not sure I trust Alexis’ account of the situation, to put it mildly.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If Failbetter actually does have an executed contract, that seems like it would be a pretty quick and easy thing to clear up, so I guess we'll see. As for his behavior before he left the company, obviously that sort of thing is a lot more subjective and especially outsiders aren't going to have a lot of insight into what exactly went down there. Even accepting the accusations as true though, I think a game of telephone kind of ensued in which he was presented as something worse than those allegations really added up to. That said, I don't really buy his conspiracy angle about the why and when of it all, though if the Failbetter CEO assured him everyone's jobs would be fine when he left and then went on to blame his leaving for having to fire people that's pretty lousy.

FWIW I mostly just think the game's in the best place it's ever been atm and hope this can all get resolved so everyone can move on.

Edit: Event's over, so don't forget to save the city and get your reward whether or not you gave up a tier 8 item (there's another thing with unknown properties for that) the main reward is best in slot gloves for dangerous and kataleptic toxicology, pretty good!. There's supposed to be some kind of coda or consequences on the 3rd, so that's something more to look forward to now.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 29, 2021

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

pumpinglemma posted:

I’m… not sure I trust Alexis’ account of the situation, to put it mildly.

Yeah, if "everyone involved might be guilty of a major crime!! including me, and also I might owe half a million dollars" was true, why the gently caress would he post it. I'm no lawyer, but I can't imagine that helping his case legally. The only reason to make this post is to intimidate, while making himself look like the victim.

Basically, don't bother reading something that starts with "cancel culture is real, and it's like radioactive waste".

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If he's totally off base with that stuff, he's probably guilty of libel, especially since it's in the UK where their laws are way more strict, so I expect we'll see some kind of response from Failbetter one way or another. I do think he's a narcissist at best, so I'm not jumping on Team Alexis here or anything. Removing his credits seems bad to me though. If he's too toxic to credit, stop selling the stories he authored. Obviously in terms of base game content that's not realistic, but credit isn't given for that, and I guess technically it's not sold anyway. They could stop selling the exceptional stories he wrote though, if he's too shameful to be associated with in any way. They used to be the highest rated stories, but more recently Chandler Groover's stories are rated higher, so it wouldn't be as big a loss as it once would either.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 30, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Edit: Nevermind, figured out how to choose my destination for the lower locks. What a waste of resources until then though. :(

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 31, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Pls remind me wgich dig is parabola linen

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sekenr posted:

Pls remind me wgich dig is parabola linen

Spider Symposium at the Singing Mandrake

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thanks!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The coda to the event is available now in the opportunity deck. There's both a one time card that differs depending on your motivation for helping the Masters save the city, and a regular card which is going to contribute to and track London's rebuilding, and will apparently offer better rewards as progress is made over the course of the year (it's unlocked with a Weeks After the Great Sink 1-48 quality). Rebuilding consumes Bessemer steel, so anyone with a bunch left over has something to do with it at least.

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009
Regarding the AK/Failbetter layoffs thing: Eurogamer did a good writeup of the allegations around the lay offs here, and while it's possible the company is lying, not a lot of businesses will agree to the step FBG took and give journalists access to the employees like that. Too much potential to possibly muck up the narrative unless they're very confident that everyone's on the same page. Of the people let go, at least one was an extremely dedicated Alexis Kennedy fan before working at FBG, who might have a combination of sour grapes and a fair bit of not wishing to tarnish your heroes going on. At least, I can see them remaining in contact with AK to mutually nurse bitterness over their leaving the company. In light of Kennedy's blog post, the story itself feels a lot like an early attempt by AK to stir up some muckraking against Failbetter - I wouldn't be surprised if he was who tipped them off.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The last watchful gains for now is available, and I conveniently happened to be in the Khanate farming up what I needed for it when the announcement came out, so I'm back in the lab working on it now. Now that everything's up to 230, I wonder if we'll see a new tier as more zee (and presumably parabola) content gets added, or if 230 will be a stable cap for a while. We've seen all the content mentioned in the last major preview except for the long-term retirement/reincarnation thing they're working on, so even knowing content's going to be coming in smaller bites as we move forward, I'm still pretty excited to find out what we have in store.

Are any of you going to be aiming for the hellworm?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I finally wrapped up the Railroad stuff at the Hurlers. Goddamn that was convoluted. Thanks to all who gave me help on that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sinteres posted:

We've seen all the content mentioned in the last major preview except for the long-term retirement/reincarnation thing they're working on

Speaking of, there's a new blog post where they announced that they're not doing this anymore. I'm glad, because I'd already decided a while ago that retiring and restarting my character didn't make a lot of sense with how long even just the endgame takes to get through these days.

https://www.failbettergames.com/metempsychosis-meets-its-end/

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
hot take: your character should have more friends. the music-hall singer, functionary, forger and soldier are great but there should be way more of them and more content with them

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So (Watchful Gains spoilers) what did y'all decide to do with Mr. Transport(he might have a different name if you let him be devilish

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
I rushed my decision and sent it to the Evenlode. I'm not sure that was the best choice but I guess it's not the worst one?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I sent it into the high wilderness. It was either that or the Bazaar for me, but given how unhappy at least some of the Masters seem about their continuing service, condemning a child to indentured servitude felt wrong. I'm pretty anti-Hell, so both that and Evenlode were out from the start.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Starting to jump back in FL, on account of picking Sunless Skies up again, after being away from the game since.... well, years now. Is there any sort of returning player guide or info? This map interface is new and I see they changed how the Unterzee works. Very exciting stuff.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Wrr posted:

Starting to jump back in FL, on account of picking Sunless Skies up again, after being away from the game since.... well, years now. Is there any sort of returning player guide or info? This map interface is new and I see they changed how the Unterzee works. Very exciting stuff.

There's been a TON of new content since then, so it'll take a long time to get caught up if that's something you care about, but imo it's the best content in the game so far. You'll need to start with the lab before you can unlock the railroad, so that's probably the best place to start.

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/University_Laboratory_(Guide)
https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Railway_Beginning_(Guide)

You'll also want to establish a Parabolan base camp:

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Parabola_(Guide)

Getting these up is going to be something you'll want to work on too, though some won't be unlocked until you reach various points in the railroad:

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Advanced_Skills_(Guide)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I think I'm in the middle of an exceptional story? I guess I'm working with a spiritfarer and some devil to do something in hell now? To eavesdrop on hell? No clue where to go to keep advancing that.

Also, I am a fool and am Seeking the Name. I blackened my mind years ago and went from 200 watchful to 100, and need to build that back up (that HURT).

Figure I'll start making my way through all the exceptional storylines too

Wrr fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 15, 2021