Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

The Normandy posted:

What's the best way to get large amounts of Prisoner's Honey? I think I'm pretty much past where I used to get it, and I sort of want to grind until I get 40,000 to put up my character in appropriate luxury.

Also, I need to appease this monkey I kept sending out for coins.

All my stats are around 80, except Dangerous, which is around 70.

What everyone else said; also, you can trade in Connected: Bohemian at the Shuttered Palace for 120 drops per.

However: if you're at stats around level 80, you're going to rack up 120 drops worth of echoes (4.8) in six or seven turns just grinding at Stuff; but if you're also getting loads of Bohemian connections you can cash 'em in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Elswyyr posted:

I followed you on twitter but I can't see you for some reason. Is your ingame name the same as your twitter?

EDIT: NEVERMIND it works now!

EDIT 2: And suddenly you disappear from my list just before I get an action. I don't understand anything anymore.

I don't know, but don't think it has anything to do with me! Anyway, did the robbery, gave you your coins. Just FYI for everyone, I think to make the theft foolproof requires like 30 actions. But whatever, wasn't a problem; I'm not really still progressing too actively--haven't finished EVERYTHING, but all the stats are above 100 and it's getting less urgent.

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
Thanks for the advice!

Who's still looking for Starveling Cats?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

If I've already linked my account to my Facebook can I also link it through a twitter or am I going to have to start a completely seperate account to do that?

One of the few games where I wouldn't mind starting over, I'd just pick a stat other than Watchful to hammer away at.

Dthulhu
Jan 7, 2004

'til death do us party, right here on Crystal Lake
:black101::gooncamp:

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

If I've already linked my account to my Facebook can I also link it through a twitter or am I going to have to start a completely seperate account to do that?

One of the few games where I wouldn't mind starting over, I'd just pick a stat other than Watchful to hammer away at.

You can link both Twitter and Facebook to the same account.

I finally hit 8 Nightmares. Boo. Ah well, I just wish I could've finished at least one dream before I got to that point. Sorry to anyone who wanted to invite me somewhere/was expecting cats. Sometime tomorrow I can make up for it. After I finish getting secrets so I can get my next house of course. (300 something out of 500, hooray)

This game has so many awesome quest lines and is so under-documented it's truly a shame.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

The Normandy posted:

What's the best way to get large amounts of Prisoner's Honey? I think I'm pretty much past where I used to get it, and I sort of want to grind until I get 40,000 to put up my character in appropriate luxury.

Also, I need to appease this monkey I kept sending out for coins.

All my stats are around 80, except Dangerous, which is around 70.

OK I just got into the heart of the Palace: the Empress' Court. I completely forgot that the place existed. Pity I'm already at the Persuasive cap... Anyway. If you choose the Corruption of Youth option (Persuasive 83+) and join them for a picnic, you can get 45 drops of honey. If you choose the Life of the Mind option and discuss philosophy (Persuasive 85+), you get 47 drops of honey and your Admired increased.

Unfortunately I'm out of turns for today. I'll further edit this post in about 12 hours once it rolls over and if I find any other more profitable sources of honey.

EDIT: Seems like there's no other source of honey in Court, but attending courtly functions when "Attending to matters of romance" (Persuasive 80+) is pretty lucrative: 83 Whispered Secrets per pop, +3 change points in Connected: Society and some increase in Fascinating. Compare with Tea at Court (Persuasive 100+), which gives you 84 Whispered Secrets and a slightly higher increase in Connected: Society.

thanthos fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 24, 2011

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I normally hate these text based web-games, but this one intrigued me, and I've been playing for a day or two. I'm having enough fun that the action limit can be frustrating.

I'm mostly playing in the veilgarden, and it's gotten to a point where my nightmares are starting to get out of control. If anyone else wants to trade off, my twitter is @laserspewpew

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

The Normandy posted:

Thanks for the advice!

Who's still looking for Starveling Cats?

We should have a list... but for now, I know I am (@crashlaunching)
edit: thank you person who sent me a box...but I was unlucky : (
edit: odds must be bad on the cat... I've opened 4 or 5 boxes, no cat... but thanks to those who are sending.

onefish fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 27, 2011

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Watchful is probably one of the most interesting stats to grind, if you ask me. Not only does it bring you down the PI paths, it also brings you to the Forgotten Quarter where you can become a Scholar of the Correspondence; which is in turn required if you want to go to University or do the exhaustive and terrifying Seeking Mr Eaten's questline and so on. Of course the problem with Watchfulness is the nightmares you get from it... but that's part of the fun too.

oldskool posted:

What's not cool, though, is upsetting your simian friend in Heart's Desire ambition. Am I right in assuming the price I eventually pay it is directly proportional to how abused I made the monkey in the search for 77 First City coins? Mine was 1400 drops of honey, for the record.

So in other words, you... spanked the monkey?

thanthos fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 24, 2011

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The University is pretty awesome at 85+ Watchful; once you get going in it, there are apparently a half-dozen repeatable storylines under the guise of Term Passing. It's very cool.

What's not cool, though, is upsetting your simian friend in Heart's Desire ambition. Am I right in assuming the price I eventually pay it is directly proportional to how abused I made the monkey in the search for 77 First City coins? Mine was 1400 drops of honey, for the record.

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

oldskool posted:

What's not cool, though, is upsetting your simian friend in Heart's Desire ambition. Am I right in assuming the price I eventually pay it is directly proportional to how abused I made the monkey in the search for 77 First City coins?

Wow, I just had to give mine some tea, and a warm towel. He brought me back nothing
but a pout, though. How high was your Inciting a Simian Revenge, may I ask?

I spent some fate and went to the shroom races today. I've won 3 already, am dripping with glim and glory - but not one venom-ruby! Did they change the rewards?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

He was pretty pissed, I must admit.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Can you guys use spoiler tags please, I had no idea about any of this stuff what with my stats at around 30 or so, and I'd rather it have been a surprise. :(

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Onefish, would you mind if I send you another Museum of Mistakes theft request? I just need one more, but I'd rather not take up all your turns.

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?

Elswyyr posted:

Onefish, would you mind if I send you another Museum of Mistakes theft request? I just need one more, but I'd rather not take up all your turns.

You can send it to me at @cosettemoreau if you like.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Elswyyr posted:

yeah, I don't particularly mind, but why not give @cosettemoreau a chance? :)

hoju22
May 3, 2006

Easy. You just don't lead 'em so much.
Trying this out. Followed a few people on twitter. Mine: http://twitter.com/hoju22

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
I'm another person who normally hates browser games, but the setting for this one is just too cool. My twitter account for the game is VirusBazaar. Feel free to add me and tell me scary stories.

Once you finish your ambition is it possible to start a new one? I'm tracking down the diamond right now but some of the other ones sound interesting as well.

Anyone else finding it hard to resist buying new lodgings? None of the ones I've found have more than 3 card slots but dammit I need to own property in as many dubious areas of the city as possible.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Blisster posted:

I'm another person who normally hates browser games, but the setting for this one is just too cool. My twitter account for the game is VirusBazaar. Feel free to add me and tell me scary stories.

Once you finish your ambition is it possible to start a new one? I'm tracking down the diamond right now but some of the other ones sound interesting as well.

Anyone else finding it hard to resist buying new lodgings? None of the ones I've found have more than 3 card slots but dammit I need to own property in as many dubious areas of the city as possible.

I don't know about that since my Ambition isn't finished yet (as in I've reached the current content end and there isn't anywhere else to continue towards), but you can switch Ambitions with a set of Lethean tea-leaves. That will wipe your current Ambition progress and allow you to continue in another.

At higher levels, like around 80+ stats or so, you'll get Lodgings that will require obscene amounts of money - 60000 honey or 90000 whispered secrets, holy poo poo - but will allow you to hold 4 cards in hand at once. It may be a good idea to save some of your resources for that and resist the urge to be a property mogul. I know the feeling, but fight it if you want the really fancy digs.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So a devil and I have been going to the opera an often amount of times and my scandal is sky-rocketing. Not that I care about what those stuffy-shirts think but if it reaches 8 what happens? Mob riot looking for me or what?

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Red Mundus posted:

So a devil and I have been going to the opera an often amount of times and my scandal is sky-rocketing. Not that I care about what those stuffy-shirts think but if it reaches 8 what happens? Mob riot looking for me or what?

Spoilers if you want to find out on your own: You get sent to temporary exile, and have to spend actions or Connections to get back to Fallen London.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

I've been playing this for a bit and have added several of you. I'm in as sometaffer. I'm really enjoying the different storylets; the setting is interesting.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Red Mundus posted:

It's actually even funnier than that. Imagine yourself as Oscar Wilde headlining for the Beatles a century early.

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

John Pastor posted:

Spoilers if you want to find out on your own: You get sent to temporary exile, and have to spend actions or Connections to get back to Fallen London.

That, in my opinion, is probably the worst of all the four penalty situations you can find yourself in. Where Nightmares at least has the stat-drop options, and death the dice-rolling option (though luck is a fickle mistress indeed), and prison a direct shortcut out of there by way of the dirgible schedule and rags, getting sent to the Tomb Colonies has absolutely no way other than what you mentioned and opportunity cards.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
In as Aria Dabbler, and always available for someone to trade nightmares with. Not realizing how bad it would get, I started tracking down three or four different nightmare paths. Now my grip on reality is a fair bit ragged...

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I'm in as @Silvergun1000. Apparently buying those 4th City Rags wasn't the bargain I thought it was. I'd be happy to swap nightmares, etc with anybody!

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

thanthos posted:

That, in my opinion, is probably the worst of all the four penalty situations you can find yourself in. Where Nightmares at least has the stat-drop options, and death the dice-rolling option (though luck is a fickle mistress indeed), and prison a direct shortcut out of there by way of the dirgible schedule and rags, getting sent to the Tomb Colonies has absolutely no way other than what you mentioned and opportunity cards.

It's also incredibly annoying to get rid of before hitting 8, since there's no tonic or storylets outside attending Church or the occasional card.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Been a few newbies lately, those who want to add me feel free to do so, #cyberasylum

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Same here I'm #madjnunofirem

catfrog
Nov 4, 2009

Chiming in #La_Poodle.

Pogonodon
Sep 10, 2010
I'm on as #chevalierdind

thanthos
Mar 22, 2001

Not So Fast posted:

It's also incredibly annoying to get rid of before hitting 8, since there's no tonic or storylets outside attending Church or the occasional card.

To be fair, Church is probably the best repeatable, non-consumable use of your turns for lowering a Menace since you at least get something for your efforts: in this case, Connected: Church. It is not much gain, of course, but it's something.

Also if any newbies want to add me I'm in as Hypnic_Jerk. I got to link because apparently there's more than one Hypnic Jerk around on Twitter.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

It seems I've reached the end of content for the Dangerous attribute. Quite anti-climactic, but the Vake ambition gets pretty insane. Welp, now on to Persuasive...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

My ambition seems to have disappeared somehow. I think my stats got too high and it dropped off the page. Huh.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Corridor posted:

My ambition seems to have disappeared somehow. I think my stats got too high and it dropped off the page. Huh.

That seems unlikely. Sometimes Ambitions need you to go to specific places to pick up the trail again, try looking around the city a bit.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
#chadlicious for the newbs. add me. I've been getting lonely since people stopped inviting me to tea or handing me boxes :(

Colton fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 30, 2011

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

That seems unlikely. Sometimes Ambitions need you to go to specific places to pick up the trail again, try looking around the city a bit.

It may be it requires you to raise one of your menaces to the max (or use the house of mirrors) to find the next bit.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I've added everybody after my last post. No idea what it does, but there ya go!

I'm a little confused about making money. All the stuff I have sells for a few pence each (gold and whatnot), and it seems like everything I have combined sells for a grand total of jack poo poo. Am I missing something, or am I just supposed to be really poor early on? I'm at 19 watchful / 15 persuasive if that helps.

Thanks!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
No, you're really pinching pennies at the beginning. It'll ramp up as you go, and the changes to Menaces mean that you won't have to waste quite so much time being dead, mad or incarcerated before you can afford tonics or to spend time at church.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Ok that's good to know, thanks! Should I be stockpiling stuff like rostygold I get for doing things, or is that purely to sell?

Also, what should I be buying early on? Equipment seems to give a marginal benefit for what I'd need to spend on it, and I'm not really sure what else there is.