Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I'm now on the "get 77 coins" part of Heart's Desire. What's my best bet for getting more coins? Is anyone willing to be a master thief-for-hire? Is it worth trying to get the monkey to get coins? The trait it's giving me for failures sounds pretty ominous...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I'm TheRagamuffin in game, too.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

That was more than enough to put me over 77. I had some coins already from opportunity cards, and a few more from cashing in my rubbery men items from random drops. Thanks, guys!

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

mrfishstick posted:

Is there any kind of scandal removal that's more effective than just letting it cap out and burning off connections in the tomb colonies? I'm working my way through the palace and it feels like I'm amassing scandal far faster than any of the other available options can remove it.

I'm having the same problem. I haven't had any problems with any other menaces, but Scandal is just killing me.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Mr Burglar Man posted:

Have you guys tried Nikolas & Sons Instant Ablution Absolution, from the bazaar?

Seems expensive for only losing one level of scandal per drink.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Palace, or Court? If it's Palace, go back to your lodgings and go to church a load. if it's Court, then you can't leave to go to your lodgings without having to pay the entry fee again, so just touch up butlers in the Disporting with the Servantry storylet until your scandal is reduced to acceptable levels. No, I don't see how that works either.

Beginning to reconsider Ablution Solution after trying church. 5 actions, and I barely lost 1 point of Scandal. :negative:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Fallen London seems to be a game about suffering, anyway. May as well go all-in.

e: Is it possible to have negative actions? The last few times I've used red-bordered opportunity cards, I haven't received an action after the next update. Am I just encountering some kind of timer desync, or does the game keep track of actions you should have used beyond what you have?

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 6, 2015

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

So I found my way to a tattoo parlor, but it says I can only ever get one. Is there any downside to holding off getting one until I meet the requirements for getting a really cool one, aside from losing out on +1 Bizarre/Dreaded until then?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Unguided posted:

So far it's been one tattoo a year and I think it goes away soon.

Is it part of Feast of the Rose?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Is there a good place to farm Nevercold Brass for people who aren't sneaky or attractive enough to get into Mahogany Hall yet?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

If you have a route to the Shuttered Palace you can go there and recite poetry in someone's tea room or something similar (I've been exiled so I cant check the exact thing right now) and it gives you 1 point of Bohemian every success.

This is how I did it earlier today.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I can't find where in the thread I saw it, but I remember someone saying going from Journalist to Author isn't worth it? What's the difference, aside from the special item?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Alright, sweet. I just finished my Exceptional Short Story, so all I need is 25 Bohemian Rep and to draw the Bohemians card again (may take longer than writing the short story did), and I'm ready to rock.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

3 opportunity draws later, a trip to the shuttered palace, and I'm an Author now. :v:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Should I be worried about having several street signs in my possession? The game seems to be going out of its way to tell me they're bad news.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I'm now convinced that the giving 100 pieces of proscribed material to Mr Pages is just a trap. That's 300 pieces I shan't see again. "How can you fail" my eye.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I am so bad at keeping my Dangerous up with my other stats. It always goes something like:
"Oh right, my Dangerous is like 20 points lower than anything else. Better head to Watchmaker's Hill and fix that."
"Illegal Pit Fighting? Sign me up!"
"Aww hell yes, this has a Watchful option."
*clicks*
"..." :doh:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Is there any way to speed up getting recurring dreams? I'm at the point of Heart's Desire where I have to bribe the Merry Gentleman, and apparently just giving him a shitload of brass is a bust. I don't have a boat, either, so I don't think giving him the key is even an option...

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Mr Burglar Man posted:

In addition to Quorum's post, you'll need a boat later on down the line anyway, so you may as well get it out of the way sooner rather than later. I was in your situation a few months ago, and waiting for the nightmares will take you an incredibly prohibitive and frustrating amount of time.

But I'm not even POSI yet.... :(

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Closing in on the end of the week and I've got 10 Making Waves and no way to make use of them myself. If anyone wants to steal them off me, you can find me at http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheRagamuffin .

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Wyld Karde posted:

...I'm fighting an epic battle for control of my lodgings against a horde of rats. Except for the day we called a truce to play cricket. :neckbeard:

I really loved this storyline. :allears:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I've resigned myself to never getting much of Connected: The Great Game ever. Every time I raise it at all, along comes the Great Game vs Church opportunity card. And poo poo, c'mon man, who doesn't want a free one of each second chance?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I'll take it. Same name as here.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I'm always willing to accept boxed cats.
e: FL Username same as here.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Is the black painting storyline worth the fate, or am I better off pawning it for silk?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

What all lodgings have that? Is it just the fate/nex-locked ones, or event ones, or are there any in the store with that descriptor?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Danaru posted:

I've had it forever and I have yet to see a negative effect from it.

Although be careful, failure at that stage in the story sends you straight to the boatman.

They do, but they also don't send you there with a full 8 wounds, so it's fast getting back. I took that trip soooooo many times in that story.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Posting again that I will take any cat in any box off anybody's hands. Same name in game as here.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Artificer posted:

You still up for helping me with coins? I sent another request. I need more for the ambition as it turns out...

I had over 30 more coins than I need for the Heart's Desire stake, so I sent you a parcel.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

So is there any reason I shouldn't just skip straight to the awful grind to capturing a Spider-council, for Hunting Dangerous Beasts? I just want to be done with this awful story.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Artificer posted:

Hmm. I have enough to purchase several other homes while I'm working towards a Handsome Townhouse. Given what someone else said, that since they provide a regular source of scraps, I should probably do so? Is that right?

What are scraps useful for anyways?

There are several opportunity cards that let you trade scraps for stuff. Also having all of the cheap lodgings is one of the ways to get through that part of becoming a POSI.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Ok, seriously? Black Ribbon duelling is the EXACT SAME loving GODAWFUL GRIND as trapping beasts for the Labyrinth? What is this poo poo? Is this what I have to look forward to the rest of the game?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

No, later on, you'll also need to wait on opportunity cards to progress. Or do a second grind to spend the resources that you've built up during the first one. Or gamble everything on bullshit luck-based challenges.

Failbetter is known for their writing, not their prowess at game design.

And it's good writing! It's just....I'm getting real tired of reading this one card about duelling outside the black ribbon over and over again.

e: I don't even mind having to wait for opportunity cards to proceed, because at least then you can do other stuff with your actions in the meantime. These two storylines are just asinine.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 16, 2015

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Welp, I'm a POSI now. When do I get to start turning MW into Notability?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

Accept my calling card and I'll send you a point of Notability so that you can summon Amanuensis from your lodgings whenever you want.

Thanks!

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Whoever just played me at Knife and Candle Moon League, I feel really bad for winning with I think 79 Savage vs your 120. :(

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Well, there go all my dreams. Got the last level of The Fire Sermon that I needed to continue Heart's Desire. Stormy-eyed will have to wait for another time, I suppose.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I like the new confident smile icon, at least... :unsmith:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

1. My new PoSI character just got her first shot at a party/Talk of the Town grind. The MW gains were nice, but how in the hell are you supposed to get to 12 Talk of the Town in 6 actions? Does increasing your Persuasive get you better gains, or what? I followed the wikia card list as a guide and, while I did fail a few times, I still only ended with 3 points. This seems pretty nuts.

Talk of the Town doesn't reset between parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

I haven't even started the department storyline yet....too afraid of not having a chance to see the rest of the university storylets.