Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

May as well. I'm just starting the "Person of Some Little Importance" stuff after a few months playing off and on, and occasionally attempting to write a good enough short story to become an author. Mainly persuasive and watchful.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Qylvarna

Edit: Thanks for the kitten!

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I picked up a confession of violence today. It's unfortunate I didn't know about the prize from the mayor before upgrading pets and trading in duplicate confessions/betrayals to try to get a violent one. As it is, I've locked myself out of that (I will have 8, counting tomorrow's), and I'll only be able to get all three clues if I manage to pull a confession of impropriety tomorrow. Otherwise, all I can do is upgrade my Wretched Mog and finish the story.

I got my Exceptional Short Story yesterday, though. I'm an author!

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 5, 2018

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hello! Qylvarna checking in (I had an account years ago that I can't figure out how to get into, thus the name mismatch)! I have just achieved (A Person of Some) Importance, and it's like a brand new game. As an Author, I've got all the Nights on the Town I could want, and a cavernous Cellar of Wine, but getting the other stuff for these new equipment types is slow going. I would appreciate some suggestions for where to put my Persuasiveness (far and away my best attribute at 147 with gear) to good effect securing Legal Documents, Collated Research, and/or Strong-Backed Labour.

I'd also like some help spending my Free Evenings, as I've wasted all of them so far. I've gotten a few calling cards some weeks ago (though dihaploidy's was unrespondable somehow, and Sharp Eye was unable to start the chess game he offered), but very little interaction since then.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry for the double post, but nobody else is saying anything. I just sent out my first Christmas cards (easy to decide to whom they will go when I have exactly seven acquaintances). It occurred to me too late that someone may be trying to raise a particular menace for one reason or another. If any of my delicious friends are reading this, my apologies, and please let me know by Thursday if there are any specific cards you do or don't want (I could probably use a bit less Scandal).

One other thing. I have just a little Fate from storylines here and there. Would Invited to another revel of the Masters be a decent place to spend two points, or am I better off saving it if I don't ever plan to buy any?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I don't think that's one you want to do. I may be remembering wrong, but I think that just lets you replay that same story over again (which wasn't even that great the first time around).

If I'm reading the wiki right, Fate on this card leads to a Fate-only branch that costs a little more the first time around. If there's a much better place to spend tiny amounts of Fate, though, I'll hold onto it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

So now my plan is to find 44 more missing women so I can trade them to some guy who's trying to kill me for land-use permits. This will allow me to move into the Bazaar before Christmas is over. First, though, I need to churn out symphonies like I'm Haydn on Adderall so I'll have a decent chance of learning something when I study a couple buckets of smelly snow.

All of this is delaying the construction of my submarine, which I need so I can travel to an island to find a mysterious key that a hotel clerk wants before he'll help me steal an opera to perform for a batty old man so he'll join the card game I'm organizing.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Odysseus S. Grant posted:

For boats I'd heavily recommend starting with the cheapest one, and only upgrading after you've done most other things, as they only give a few bonus options at zee, nothing substantial.

I see your point, and the cost of the tramp steamer is almost negligible, while the cost of the zubmarine is Whoa Nelly. On the other hand, submarine.

It seemed to help others in this thread, so I'd like to mention that I could use some help with scandal. It turns out that stalking dozens of women (with a 90% chance of success) is bad for my reputation.

ETA: Thanks, friends! Your lovely cards have made everyone forget what a horrible person they thought I was.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 19, 2018

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I did it! I've moved to my temporary residence closer to street level, but all the dominoes are lined up for a penthouse as soon as Sacksmas is over. Now after a brief rest to clear out my menaces and write my Christmas cards for the week, it's time to go monster hunting.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

So first of all, Odysseus, I was on the fence before, but you talked me into going for the tramp steamer for now. The HMS Crown Jules will have to wait for me to be bored enough to grind 20 contraptions and 6 lenses, and that time has not come.

Nextly, does anyone who lurks in this thread have a free evening who would like a nice, home-cooked meal? I've only got a few Waves left to get back to Notability 5, and I'm nearly ready to go for that glowy bottle of ink thanks to all the belly-rubs I've been giving my ocelot.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Well, I made my Slowcake's upgrade, thanks to some very lucky polite invitation draws this morning. I sent you a calling card anyway, since I already got all the ingredients together for dinner, and there are always more waves to be made.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

PSA: You cannot get unlimited tries on opportunity cards by using a second chance and selecting "Perhaps Not" on failure. I'd used the technique before on regular storylets with harsh penalties for failure, but just now I missed out on my second try and didn't get my consolation prize on my attempt to become a Correspondent :eng99:. Back to checking my cards every hour or soten minutes, hoping for another Unsigned Message. At least I've got a ready supply of Sudden Insights, as I'm in the middle of a murder investigation at the University.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Five days and three more Unsigned Messages later: The Times, They Are A-Changing! I have informed the Urchins and collected my first Payment as a Correspondent!

I am also nearly done training my Rubbery Hound and will soon be able to say a fond farewell to my menagerie and breed them into an extremely notable Owl. The end of the story kicked off by my horsey was quite a surprise, especially since I was so careful to thread the needle during the Cheesemonger incident, and went out of my way to avoid bringing a final death to any members of the Black Ribbon Society. I made my choice, though, and I'd make it again.

Also, Mise, I've run into the same problem before. It seems Sharp Eye is quite promiscuous with chess invitations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Fortunately, the site was working okay while I played through Cricket, Anyone, but it would be a real shame to miss a bunch of the text from it. By all accounts it's one of the better exceptional stories they've put out in some time.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Qylvarna

I'll try to return non-Fate gifts in kind quickly, unless you include a message telling me not to. I'm not planning on spending any Fate on gifts, but you can send me a Fate gift with a note and I promise to reject it so you keep it. Without a note I'll assume you just felt like giving your money to a stranger.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Sorry to double post, but I had to brag:

If anyone wants lessons on how to be as magnificent as me (via patronage), just ask!

I also give correspondence courses on The Correspondence, in my capacity as a Correspondent.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Helpful information: You (yes, YOU) can share Honey with the Captivating Princess this year. The cap for Acquaintance has been temporarily raised from 1 to 2, which means that if you got a point from the advent calendar, you can still get two Dreadful Surmises, and even if you got one in a previous February AND got another from the calendar, you can still run the story one more time.

Getting the Airs to cooperate is another matter. I seriously just dropped 20 actions into Unfinished Business on a 25% chance.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'm running out of other materials but I've still got Clues for days. If you send me gifts from now on, expect teeth in return.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

Also, I will send you teeth. Ideally you will give me something back but I will send tons of teeth to whoever wants some.
Can confirm. Illustrious will send you teeth.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Any authors in the thread? I'm ready to cash in on a salon.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Forward Toward posted:

I'm a Correspondant if that helps. Toward weaving in game

It doesn't. Correspondents only help out at orphanages. I ended up spending part of my scheme with the singer and part with the diplomat.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I did it! After ages at Wilmot's (and Wit's) End, I've gathered the materials and built my Zubmarine! Its floors will be lined with a patchwork of fancy carpet from all the bags that the Whirring Contraptions came in.

Next stop, Corpsecage Island, which my clerical friends tell me is a great place to get away from it all, and maybe bring back a souvenir.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Quick question: I'm towards the end of last month's ES. What sights did everyone else show the Ambassador, and did it seem to make a difference in the end? Echoes would be cool...

I doubt seduction is worth the action. It seems to me that most Persuasive actions towards powerful NPCs result in your character being taken advantage of or embarrassed, even on difficult successes.

Also, I wore the bohemian-style clothes to meet the Ambassador in the garden. I forgot to echo it, but do you know if there's different text for the other two options? She sort of sneered at my choice of outfit but didn't make a big deal of it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

BBJoey posted:

The opportunity deck interacts weirdly with moving in or out of special locations that you need to use an action to leave, like Arbor, the Nadir, parties, menace locations etc. My best guess is that it doubles your face down opportunity deck cards you had before you changed location. So if you enter Arbor with 5 face down cards, you’ll have 10 when you leave regardless of how much IRL time has passed.

It works differently with different locations. A party doubles your deck on the way in and on the way out. A heist quadruples it for at least one of those. Arbor is a straight zero to full.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Wilmot's End is a location, not a card. I think you can get there by talking to the urchin in your lodgings.

When you play one of the capstone stories for the war of assassins you get one cp of dramatic tension whether it's a success our failure. It takes three times through the carousel to reach dt level 2. The stories in Wilmot's End work the same way, 11 actions for 1 cp of dramatic tension. The only difference with them is turning it in. You have to go through the relevant story one more time to reach the end and get your prize.

Anyways, I came here to complain about fishing. About a dozen catches at level 7 and no Mary Lloyd. I'm hoping SA complaints will work their magic.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Qylvaran posted:

Anyways, I came here to complain about fishing. About a dozen catches at level 7 and no Mary Lloyd. I'm hoping SA complaints will work their magic.

13.5 hours and all of my actions later, I have gone from mildly annoyed to intensely frustrated. At this point the 4 points of Dangerous are hardly worth what I've put into this venture, but the sunk cost keeps dragging me back to the fishing boat.

Forward Toward posted:

I had good luck fishing - 6 sessions to get everything (including the hat twice)...

Fie on you and the tank you rode in on!

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'll be happy to trade teeth and teeth-related puns once I'm out of the Storm God's mind, possible fulmination in hand. I won't be able to go as crazy as I did last year, since I liquidated most of my assets a couple weeks ago buying my second Overgoat, but I have enough clues for a few jars.

IGN Qylvarna

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I want to make known that I'm down to fewer than 500 clues, so it will be a while before I can reciprocate the two most recent gifts I have been offered. Also that I make no promises regarding the quality of the pun or other wordplay received, but each one is hand crafted and no two are alike. I will resume handing them out as soon as I can book a few more guest lectures or enlist some more help with mirrors.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'm prepping for what I'll need later on in The Marvellous (While I'm patiently waiting for the 1cp more of Nightmares I need to talk to The Manager), and simultaneously kicking myself over some of the things I decided to sell for my Overgoats. The worst was definitely the spare Ray-Drenched Cinder I got from a seasonal wrap-up. I now have one Eyeless Skull and a lot of archaeology and tainted cards ahead of me. I'm also feeling the absence of all those Nights on the Town I had stocked up as an Author. I think I sold off a bunch of Blackmail Material, too.

Incidentally, it's Fate spoilers that Failbetter likes to keep under wraps. Ambitions are fair game.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hempuli posted:

Can I find one of those? Where?
I'm at around the same place, but I think you need to progress a bit further in order to find the clues your character needs to seek out those players.

Hempuli posted:

Also: what is the tax for dying? ... Am I safe if I go to jail once only?
Dying basically just costs you time. Jail can be safely reached any number of times by failing to rob the Brass Embassy.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

To get permission, you need to be at the palace, which is all the way south. To play the game, you need to go all the way north to the temple.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Man I hope this new festival starting tomorrow doesn't require drawing opportunity cards. I have three eyeless skulls and three no-no cards clogging my hand. I suppose I could just use the two mood cards I've been saving for a rainy day. Which hat would be most useful for first time exploration of parabola?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I got my Cinder! And then I decided to spend 25 real american dollars on fake eggs. :homebrew:

Some things I've observed:

Selling an augmented scarlet egg to the Apicus Club gets you 50 Warm Amber for 6 actions and about even echo cost/gain apart from the amber. If you save up a big stash of it, you can grind up Rubbery Renown way faster than normal since you can get 7 favors at a time from the faction card in exchange for 100 Warm Amber.

Now that there are 3 readily available nightmare reduction items (Auroch-Fur Coat, Bejewelled Cane, and Cheerful Goldfish) and a shortcut to get out of A State of Some Confusion at 5 Nightmares (if you are heartless enough to take The Manager's button instead of giving Tristram his mind back), it's possible to enter the carnival mirror and return to London immediately with no penalty. If they keep Hallowmas the same as last year, this could be exploited to reach an insane level of Echoes per Action. Hallowmas gets changed up more frequently and drastically than most of the other holidays though, so it probably won't work.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

To get a Location, you need to either save up 3200 scraps or sell a different Location to the agents of The Great Game.

ETA: Fortunately, from what I've heard, extra credit doesn't count for training.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 15, 2020

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just bought my second Overgoat about a month before the HD ending started being released. I'm probably one or two steps away from the start of the first elimination round (I just did the reverse painting heist), and I keep running into "Remember that thing you sold to buy your goat or complete a previous step? You need another one now." Currently I'm saving up for enough orphans to make zailing to the Court for a Night Whisper worth my while.

I mentioned it before, but discovering that I shouldn't have sold my spare Cinder for goat money was the worst.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Hempuli posted:

Remember that you can get a night-whisper from the Fidgeting Writer questline.

Thanks for reminding me why I hate that quest line. Also I'm now out of brilliant souls.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'm hanging out with tigers right now. I did get two night whispers from that dig while looking for skulls, but I used one earlier in the ambition and sold the other. Anyways it's fine. I'm always happy to pick up another plated seal.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

I'm near the end of Heart's Desire and I need a reported location of a one-time prince of hell, having already gotten them and used them from the cave of the nadir and virginia years and years ago

is there any other way to get one other than a frankly absurd amount of scraps

Those are your options. Fortunately you don't need Virginia's training to continue. Any three will do.

Funny thing, but even if I didn't still have the Location I traded the other Location for, I am currently less than a hundred scraps short of buying a new one. Time to decide which relicker to give them to.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Before you move on, don't skip Pages's training. It's expensive, but there's a unique item.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I, for one, welcome our rubbery corporate overlords.

^^^ If your ambition is Heart's Desire, there's a minor benefit to having a Location near the end. Otherwise, go with whatever suits your fancy.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Gebrandt is a Prehistoricist, which reminds me heavily of the idea of "natural slaves", so she's out for me.