Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Dallan Invictus posted:

What a brilliantly cruel idea on their part.

I'm under impression that the entire SMEN quest line is nothing but a metaphor for a crippling hard drug addiction. It swiftly takes over the character's life, forcing them to perform increasingly degrading acts, wrecks their mind, body and soul, ruins them financially and socially, all in exchange for vague nightmarish hallucinations and constant craving.

So it makes sense that, at some point, a Seeker would have to lure new junkies into the fold to sustain his or her habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Colon V posted:

What's the least painful way to get a London Street Sign?

Buy one for 5 Echoes.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Apparently, my destiny is to join the Masters. Kinda fitting, given that I have Connected 14 with them.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Just keep ambushing couriers in Spite.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

So I've become a Person of Some Importance. I've extensively explored the islands through sailing. I've gotten married. I'm stuck in my ambition, nemesis, because I'm grinding letters of credit to get to where I need to go next. I've explored under the circus. I've bred lots of strange animals.

What is there to do next?
Seek the name. That will keep you occupied for a while.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I quit playing a couple of years ago because it seemed like most of the new content (apart from Affair of the Box) was focused on seasonal holidays and required lots of Nex expenditures and/or milking your friend list to do well.

Is that still the case?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

Other than Fallen London, is there anything on the StoryNexus worth checking out?
The Last Court if you're a fan of Dragon Age.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I think I have some coins to spare. What's your FL name?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Sent. :)

If you need more, I can be your thief (once my action points come back). Or ask the Masters, it's not like that connection has many other outlets for cashing in.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

A good pre-POSI source of Glim is running heists in the Flit, but you'll need Shadowy 80.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

It is absolutely not profitable.
Pretty realistic. :(

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

LowellDND posted:

So Im at 6 nightmares. Is this something I should be concerned about?
I think 6 is when non-discardable red bordered nightmare cards start showing up.

8 is the point where you get sent to a happy home where life is beautiful all the time.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Speaking of expeditions, which of the Fate-locked ones are more profitable? A Temple of Uttermost Wind or A Gallery of Serpents?
The Gallery, especially if you make promises to the Ophidian Gentleman and then successfully betray him.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

If you have Shadowy 60+, check the "Open ways to other parts of the City" storylet in your lodgings and open the route to Flit.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

turboraton posted:

I just discovered Fallen London. Cute game with plenty of .txt. Any tips for a beginner?
For your Mysterious Benefactor, pick the Watchful option.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Why? Too late for me but I'm curious.
He awards the only pair of Watchful boots in the game.

The reward for other Benefactors get quickly outclassed by other equipment.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I just used the fate-locked option on the Decomissioned Steamer and... oh my. Oh. My.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, where's a place to get Greyfields 1879 (The first kind)? I've outleveled getting it from the river. Do I have to buy it from the Bazaar or is there another source?
How's your Dangerous?

If you're just starting out, you can do some arm-wrestling in Watchmaker's Hill. At 65+, you can do spider-wrangling in Docks.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Letting your Suspicion get to 8 will cause you to accumulate a criminal record. The higher it stacks, the more dire the consequences.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

PaleBlueDot posted:

Yo, watchful goons, what's a good place to sharpen your watchful wits post POSI? I'm only lacking maxing Watchful now (:toot:,) and I wouldn't mind earning some pocket change while I go slowly insane.
Play chess with a friend, alt or boatman.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Phssthpok posted:

And you can spend 10 fate to start over if you want to see a different ending.
Or if you want to grind Connected: Masters.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Is a five-card lodging worth getting now or should I wait until Christmas?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

FRINGE posted:

The RNG for this game is a total joke.
A week too late. All too common. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. Not this time. All too common. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. A week too late. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The perils of academia. All too common. The room next door. The room next door. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. The last bite. The room next door. A week too late. The room next door. Not this time. Not this time. Not this time. Not this time.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

NAME REDACTED posted:

I've spent way longer on this game than I care to think about, but I tend to lose interest between new storylines, so I'm not doing much right now. I'm an extraordinary mind now, as well as a midnighter, but apart from grinding for an overgoat or getting the rest of my stats up to 200, I don't really have much to do.

I'm [NAME REDACTED] in game, by the way.
Overgoats are so last year, it's all about heptagoats now.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Is there a way to change my POSI specialization (from Legendary Charisma to Extraordinary Mind)?

Blackula69 posted:

So, the Iron Republic. Should I go?
Iron Republic in a nutshell:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Will my rare Salt Weasel be affected by this popular song that is plaguing me?
No.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

What's the general impression of the new Exceptional Friend storyline? Is access to it and others like it, worth seven bucks a month?
I wouldn't recommend it.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Does the K&C lodging that you can get for a 7 win streak count as a remote address?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

Do you lose the Insights or Enigmas, or both, if you fail the check?
You lose 3 insights, one Enigma, 100 Echoes, gain a bunch of nightmares and die.

If there was ever a check to use second chances on, this is the one.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Blackula69 posted:

Is there a way to stop playing knife & Candle? I have zero interest in it.
Watchmaker's Hill -> Gamekeeper's Cottage -> Knife-and-Candle: The Underground Leagues -> Withdraw from the game.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

Ok, seriously? Black Ribbon duelling is the EXACT SAME loving GODAWFUL GRIND as trapping beasts for the Labyrinth? What is this poo poo? Is this what I have to look forward to the rest of the game?
No, later on, you'll also need to wait on opportunity cards to progress. Or do a second grind to spend the resources that you've built up during the first one. Or gamble everything on bullshit luck-based challenges.

Failbetter is known for their writing, not their prowess at game design.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

TheRagamuffin posted:

Welp, I'm a POSI now. When do I get to start turning MW into Notability?
Accept my calling card and I'll send you a point of Notability so that you can summon Amanuensis from your lodgings whenever you want.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

On the subject of Authorship, is there anything I need to know about crafting an exceptional short story besides "get potential as high as possible, hope for luck?" Are there more or less efficient ways to grind potential?
Don't trust luck. Get potential as high as possible and then burn your Trade Secrets to get the chance to 100%.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Pyrolocutus posted:

Word of advice about the Nemesis ambition and the Iron Republic: You'll need Portfolios of Souls to finish the Iron Republic segment. I forget how many I needed. I think one? If you don't go there with one, you'll only advance through the Iron Republic up to the point where you can get one, then you'll have to bounce back to Fallen London, get one, go back to Iron Republic. Pain in the rear end. Also, you may need to do 1-2 loops through the Republic.
You need two.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Residual Toast posted:

If you have all 3 slots filled with skullcards is there any way to flush them in london other than going to sea, or a scandalzone?
Or you can get rid of them by advancing the Liberation of Night. (Don't do this)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

is there any way to get the seventy-seven first city coins other than the absolutely crazy slow grinding of finding Surface Currency, trading my preciously small amount of Warm Amber, Gambling for Silver, or pissing off my Cardsharp Monkey with no reward? The wiki isn't very helpful on sources for a lot of these.
Cash in Connected: Masters, it's not like it's particularly useful elsewhere.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

My profile.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm trying to get a new character into the Flit, but I can't find any options to earn Moon-Pearls. Does anyone know ways to farm them when your Shadowy/Persuasive is in the 50s? When it comes to trying to figure this stuff out, the wiki is basically illegible.
If your Shadowy is in the 50s, can't you just gain access for free by passing the Shadowy challenge?

e:f,b

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

mrfishstick posted:

Paying items to gain access to the university is honestly a trap designed to get players to pointless throw away a fairly substantial number of items.
Pretty realistic, I'd say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Residual Toast posted:

Yeah you can re-up at the foreign office, and if you have any left you get some sworn statements
In fact, you get the Statements even if you don't have any IL left.