Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hey, anyone still playing this? I got into it a couple weeks ago, and although I am accidentally the wrong gender and have somehow managed to not pick a cameo portrait I've been having a good time with it. I'm also chugging along half out of my mind, seriously wounded, and scandalised by society, but whatever.

Do I need to connect with goons or can I just bumble along clicking on cards every so often to make numbers go up? I'm not seeing many ways to drop Menace qualities other than spending social actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Thanks all, have added people. Currently slow-w-w-ly grinding out Influence on this melancholy curate dude. It's sheer bloodymindedness at this point.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hell yeah, just had a rival rocket up like five points for no apparent reason during an expedition to the forgotten quarter. There goes like sixty echoes worth of supplies!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

Is the Case of the Fidgeting Writer worth pursuing at all? I've tried it a few times, but it seems there's at least 5-6 luck checks that will completely reset your progress if you fail, and statistically speaking the odds that you'll hit a string of 100% success seems...low, even without knowledge of the exact probabilities. I want to see how it all ends up, but I just can't justify blowing several actions and consumable items repeatedly.

You get a thing worth about 300 echoes.

Should I be selling this thing worth about 300 echoes?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I have wounds and scandal to give!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/bronzestag

e: also if anyone wants to be my patron then please hit me up, although I don't know what sort of benefits you'd get for it. I assume it comes in the form of making waves/notability.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mr Sacks posted:

"You are terrible. Repellent! My ears burn, and my ears have grown hard and fierce on deeper musics than this. What a complex little coil of troubles you are. My sack gapes for your shame. There... and there."

:gonk:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

They all have different bonus options while at sea on various opportunity cards, except the rusty steamer, and if you're bothered about notability they presumably each give some Respectable, Dangerous or Bizarre. Except the rusty steamer. That's why the rusty steamer is the cheapest. You need to pay a shitload still more to get the other boats, or throw Nex at the problem.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Speaking of curious, was anyone tempted to do something unwise in the christmas Gift story?

I couldn't bring myself to, but even still, the whole affair was quite unsettling. Yet to see any results from my new Affiliation, though.

e: speak of the devil, just got the opportunity card. That was... really disappointing. Woo, about an echo's worth of stuff.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hah, wow.

I'd driven myself up to some ridiculous level of Nightmares by repeatedly failing extremely easy watchful challenges on a scientific expedition, but was still operational. Figured that as soon as I set foot back in London I'd be off to the Mirror Marches, so stopped off at the Iron Republic on my way back to finish up a bit of ambition. A handful of turns later I'm finished, and spamming the "cure your menaces" option, and I'm fit as a fiddle again.

I think it might actually be more turn-efficient to sail to the Iron Republic than use your Lodgings options for reducing menaces.

(also I sort of want to know what happens when you turn round in the Gift dinner but I figure not knowing is better than anything the writers can come up with, by its very nature)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Honestly, why is everyone in Fallen London so afraid of the dark?

Sunless Sea has a bit where it describes how in the Neath, dark is not just absence of light, it's an actual tangible thing with its own agenda

e: more accurately

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 14, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

PaleBlueDot posted:

If you have a Favorable Circumstances you can summon a Bohemians card through the Write A Letter option in your lodgings. If you don't have one, I think patience might be the only thing that will help. Also, Journalist is great because it leads into Author, which makes it relatively easy to gain Making Waves.

It then leads into Correspondent which appears to be an absolute bastard to become :mad:. Getting Scholar of the Correspondence up to 10 is a massive pain.

e: i will trade things

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/bronzestag

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Speaking of grinding - Scholar of the Correspondence. I'm looking to get it up to 10 so I can become a Correspondent, and I'm not sure what my best bet it. I need 190 watchful to grind it all the way at the university, and I'm about 20 points off that, including gear.

Now, I've got a Bifurcated Owl, and it seems you can get Scholar points by... uh.. putting a weasel inside it. Is this my best option? Waiting for the owl card to show?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Haggling with Sinning Jenny is a pretty goddamn lucrative action. Those kisses sell for £2.50!

Where do you grind for echoes in the endgame, anyway? My orphanage is draining funds fast, and at this rate I'll never get a goat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheRagamuffin posted:

I'm now on the "get 77 coins" part of Heart's Desire. What's my best bet for getting more coins? Is anyone willing to be a master thief-for-hire? Is it worth trying to get the monkey to get coins? The trait it's giving me for failures sounds pretty ominous...

I've sent you 30, but you can get a bunch by trading in cellars of wine on the Presumptuous Opportunity card.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Also if anyone is not a person of some importance, I would like to remove your wounds and suspicion, and steal your Making Waves, by taking you to Dante's Grill. Hit me up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

I'm currently rolling around Polythreme trying to accumulate enough Investigating... for the Jack storyline, but it's proving hellish to accumulate 12 Investigating... before Unnatural Exuberance hits 1. Any tips?

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Polythreme_%28Guide%29

Although, less prescriptively: buy Investigating until the price goes up, trade your excess Fascinating with the clay broker or the other dude, and then use opportunity cards. Don't hide from the wax wind; it's a poo poo card that gives you very little.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What's a good way to heal Wounds on a PosI? Should I stick with the health tonics or are the lodgings options a better choice?

If you've done the Soul Trade nex storyline and haven't gone full spirifer, you can arrange a full menace wipe for the low low cost of a thousand souls and a hundred infernal contracts. That's only 80 echoes :q:

I think lodgings options are probably your best bet, or anything that has to do with food. Or, seeing as you're presumably after Making Waves, you could grab people and take them to Dante's Grill.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pavlov posted:

Haha wait you can gift that? I've just been murdering rubbery men for amber whenever they show up.

Wait, what? You can gift First City Coins to people, which is what I've done because they're basically just echoes to me, as I don't have the right ambition; rubbery men have nothing to do with this, to the best of my knowledge, and only give out warm amber/request it back, because they're really loving creepy and do horrible things with it once you're imprinted on it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Unfinished Business in Spite, if you're a person of some importance. Otherwise, I dunno, just buy them.

Do you mean Nevercold Brass by "hell's gold"? Or do you actually need 5000 souls? Because if so that's nasty.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's pretty easy to grind brass by educating a Louche Devil in Mahogany Hall, if you're there.

And I bet there's a similar payoff to the Nemesis ambition, where you get told "hey we've not written the rest of this but stay tuned!!"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well you need 50 antique mysteries. That's 250 Presbyterate Passphrases, 1250 Mysteries of the Elder Continent, 6000 Third City Figurines (you get some change), and 58000 jade (again, some change). have fun

I think if you don't mind being closest to Hell then the brass embassy room might actually be easiest. I may be wrong though.

The Gift is creepy as poo poo and totally worth the 30 nex, god drat. :stare:

For the writing, definitely. For the rewards... not so much.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah, I literally can't even find the end reward on the Myself tab at all. Still, good backstory poo poo.

You've tried the Extended Inventory button, right? If you got an Affiliation then you might not need to equip it anyway, the cards will just show up on their own and be a complete fuckin' waste of an action.

Bobo the Red posted:

I just became a PoSI, and now I'm not sure what to do. Vaguely pursuing my ambition, and curious about what profession I should seek out. I'm a journalist, and have been for a long time; are any of them particularly helpful?

Also how do I befriend the rats?

Go Author if you're a journalist; you need an exceptional short story which I think you can write in Veilgarden. All professions of a given tier (journalist is tier 2) give roughly the same value income, and all professions of a given tier give you an item that boosts stats by the same amount. Except the Midnighter tier 4 profession, which gives you an item that boosts stats by a comparatively puny amount, but fits in a slot with no better option.

Rats you befriend from your lodgings, I think. You get a recurrent card once you deal with the Big Rat that allows you to increase your Sympathetic To Ratly Concerns quality, which I believe does zip at the moment.

As for what to do, just chew through all the main stat quests until you hit a barrier. New places (e.g. Wilmot's End, Doubt Street) will show up

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's normally pretty obvious, and they correspond to the three tiers of stat areas.

Watchful has you studying the Correspondence Stones in the Forgotten Quarter, then chilling in the University. Dangerous has you clearing up the docks, capturing beasts and fighting dudes, then going to the Labyrinth of Tigers. Persuasive has you hanging around the Palace and then the Court being an artist, whereas Shadowy is a bit more freeform. Basically once you get to the Flit and done all the heists you're mostly trying to figure out what's going on with this huge box you've got.

You'll basically get these by picking new stuff you haven't seen. There's shitloads of other different diversions, though, like going to zee, animal husbandry, hunting down Jack of Smiles, Cave of the Nadir, etc.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Palace, or Court? If it's Palace, go back to your lodgings and go to church a load. if it's Court, then you can't leave to go to your lodgings without having to pay the entry fee again, so just touch up butlers in the Disporting with the Servantry storylet until your scandal is reduced to acceptable levels. No, I don't see how that works either.

Alternatively, boost your Persuasive so you don't fail so much. And if you have one of the christmas lodgings (e.g. Zee-snail retreat), move in there so you don't draw so many City Vices cards, which lets you get more chances at scandal cure cards.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Distant lodgings (i.e. the christmas ones) remove the City Vices cards from your deck. So, more chance to get something actually useful.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Beginning to reconsider Ablution Solution after trying church. 5 actions, and I barely lost 1 point of Scandal. :negative:

You know high levels of scandal are harder to remove, right? Like, Scandal 1 only has one change point behind it; Scandal 7 has seven. Most menace-reducing actions will remove at most a couple of change points.

It's usually best to try and reduce your menaces after the weekly reward, because they drop by half each week - if your menaces are higher then more change points get removed, and if you've sunk time into removing menaces before Monday morning then all that happens is you're halving a smaller number!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tripwood posted:

Read this the other day, anyone interested in Mr Eaten read this, it's amazing. Retired content now though.
http://nightmarethrenody.tumblr.com/post/69675861656/when-mr-eaten-comes-a-calling

whoa

Alright, so there's an absolute boatload of chat around what happened but I'm not seeing a huge amount about why it happened. Why exactly did the Mayan priests want to eat him? Is this related to the "shapeful disgrace", in that they were trying to bump themselves up the Chain by amalgamating the flesh of something higher into their own?

Anticheese posted:

Yes. The Tomb Lion. It is of interest to the Bishop of Southark and, ultimately, those studying the mysteries of the Correspondence.

You can put him to work in your newspaper :3:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FRINGE posted:

I did the same. I assumed I would never get 40 or 80 so I got a bunch that cost 10 one by one. (Although to be fair that is easier since the first five can come from Lilac everytime you spend some.)

Yeah, you'll never get past 30 masqueing if people don't spend irl money on you.

e: aaggggg I've been wondering what the gently caress's up with the God-Eaters and completely forgot about that bit in the Fidgeting Writer quest that gets you a coruscating soul.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

although hilariously enough I dunno if there actually are any Respectable checks

Partisan Messenger Tortoise; respectability check for free compromising documents. I would imagine all the Respectable pets have similar OP cards.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It is absolutely not profitable.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yeah if it reaches 7 your account is Eaten

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lakbay posted:

^^^Buy some Laudanum and drink it.

no don't

Once menaces hit 8 you get sent to a menace area where you have to work to reduce said menace to 0. This will either cost you real-life time (waiting for opportunity cards), items, or connections. Prison can impact your stats very slightly, too.

None of the menace areas are particularly big deals in general, and they spit you out at 0. If you haven't seen them before, give them a whirl.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tomb colonies has the potential to let you focus on changing your Austere and Hedonist qualities, as well as getting you shitloads of Connected: Tomb Colonies and maybe giving you a cool lion if you know a bishop. Prison is a bit poo poo, and only lets you grind Connected: Criminals and meet the Repentant Forger, but your first few times there are kinda easy to escape because the judge goes easy on you.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Thanks!

Speaking of expeditions, which of the Fate-locked ones are more profitable? A Temple of Uttermost Wind or A Gallery of Serpents?

Do they cost the same Fate? If so, they probably have the same potential range of values for your reward.

That said, the upper reaches of the "Unpredictable Treasure" list are seriously valuable. I got two elemental secrets from the Gallery, along with the three Incunabula that you get for your questions, and they're worth like 312.5 echoes each.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheRagamuffin posted:

"How can you fail" my eye.

That's a 90% chance of a good outcome. Which means four times out of five, the Fallen London RNG will gently caress you over.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Quorum posted:

They're useful for getting very high-level items in those chains, like Breath of the Void.

Note that the very high-level items tend to have no real uses other than selling, outside of niche and unwise pursuits.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

You don't. You only get to send stuff to other people through a limited selection of actions, such as clicking on First City Coins in your inventory, drawing the Give A Gift card, or some others.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Anticheese posted:

Any good way to bump Criminals up to 20? I got to have my gang.

Case things in the flit, then sell the info on. Once you've got to level 10 (or maybe 15 i can't remember), get a skeleton key from the bazaar and use that, with some brass.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Buy them. Or do stuff for church people. They've always got loads of candles. Always, always loads of candles.

e: oh I just noticed you're doing your Ambition so you're presumably quite high level. Go to Unfinished Business in Veilgarden and do vile things in the vestry with a bishop, that gives shitloads of candles.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

30% chance of failure, i.e. you are certain to fail eight times in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hunters Keep is confusing but also stupendously lucrative and bafflingly safe, so, y'know. Keep at it.