Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
So does "A Matter Of Luck: Pretty Good Odds" mean "ha ha gently caress you" in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
hey is it normal to fail like nine 75% chance tries in a row

asking for a friend

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
is there a good list of access codes? The bonus stuff is p. useful when you can find it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
so the Case of the Fidgeting Writer

was that designed to be intentionally infuriating or what

it's the worst RNG bit in the game

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
hey, what's the best way to up making waves?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
trying to get enough meritorious copy for the defender of truth reputation in a newspaper is very bad and lame

ha ha, you fell short, have fun getting another whirring contraption to start your presses!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
aw man I didn't know they had opportunity cards there.

thanks!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
so I finally got an eyeless skull, and then I got a bunch of expedition supplies, and then I failed four 98% chances and lost some of them, and then my rival's progress got too high so I had to spend 10 supplies out of nowhere, and now I'm nine progress away away with zero supplies left and I don't have en eyeless skull anymore so I have to do another bunch of random expeditions until I find one :(

edit: oh, people can send you eyeless skulls? anyone want to help a brother out by sending him a relic of unfathomable madness?

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 15, 2015

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Roumba posted:

You can REQUEST eyeless skulls ones you get to a point. I think that point is the end of the expedition you narrowly failed. :(

yeah it's giving me the option to ask a friend to send me one, but none of my contacts have one unfortunately

this game is brutal man, I swear

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Residual Toast posted:

If you're at or near the stat cap what's a good way to gain nightmares?

pet a starveling cat if you have it, although that gives you wounds as well

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
hey, what's the best way to increase a scholar of the correspondence beyond 8?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
what's the benefit of the remote lodgings?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
what's the best way of getting Mark of Credit Pages so I can take a trip to the Iron Republic? I'm fast running out of things to do in this game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

A Darker Porpoise posted:

You can do it almost entirely via repeatable storylets depending on who you're Closest To, check this out for all the spots you can bring Counting the Days up, after you've got CtDs up you just have to wait for the Numismatrix card to flip so you can buy your Mark.

thankya. the road to hell and all that

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I misclicked and left my club once, so that was a whole nother day grinding back to respectability with the Parthanaeum

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
just misclicked on the Slowcake's card and lost all my notability

it would be way cool if they implemented an "are you sure" check for stuff like that :(

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Foglet posted:

It's definitely not a coincidence that I did the same a couple days ago.

It is very lame and seems like an easy fix

I mean they do it already for a lot of the Mr. Eaten content :(

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
The semi-permanent Lady in Lilac option gives you a repeatable five points of Watchful and five inklings of identity if you wanna abuse it before it's gone

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I really hope they have a recap somewhere, I did Heart's Desire years ago and have very little memory of it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Tolth posted:

The currently released one starts with the option of a full recap!

oh score

like a month ago I accidentally sold some first city coins and all of a sudden got the Heart's Desire option to purchase more and I was like "why am I doing this again"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

MelvinBison posted:

I'm looking to get back into FL after about a year of not playing but I've only used the shortlived phone app since it was something to do while I was out and there wasn't much incentive to play at home because other games took my attention. How well does this play on mobile browsers?

occasionally there's a lot of back-and-forth (say, if you want to do something to change the airs of london to get a certain option on a card) but it's perfectly serviceable

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
lol this month's exceptional story abruptly ended when I decided not to do a challenge with a zero percent success rate

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

:same:

One stupid mistake and there it is, mocking me. I plan to grind the others up to 215 before fixing that one.

"ha ha, you clicked on one random option in a card and now this has happened!"

v. annoying. although to be fair the actual gameplay effect is negligible

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
what's the best way to get magnificent diamonds reliably, because I've been waiting for the "An implausible penance" card for a full week and I need three to continue heart's desire

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Double Plus Undead posted:

Do the Envoy of Arbor heist and steal the succession laws, then trade them in to the London Ambassador. That will net you one diamond a heist (plus some other stuff.) Alternatively, become a Murderer and wait 2 weeks.

nice ty

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I'm near the end of Heart's Desire and I need a reported location of a one-time prince of hell, having already gotten them and used them from the cave of the nadir and virginia years and years ago

is there any other way to get one other than a frankly absurd amount of scraps

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

Those are your options. Fortunately you don't need Virginia's training to continue. Any three will do.

Funny thing, but even if I didn't still have the Location I traded the other Location for, I am currently less than a hundred scraps short of buying a new one. Time to decide which relicker to give them to.

oh thank gently caress, I was already getting v. annoyed by the grinding and if they locked it behind loving scraps of all things I was going to take a break for a year or something

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Qylvaran posted:

Before you move on, don't skip Pages's training. It's expensive, but there's a unique item.

just did it. p. cool and an interesting bit of lore too!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Caidin posted:

3200 pieces of absolutely certifiable scrap. That only took about... uh... 4 years of off and on play. Do I wanna blow this trash pile on any old relickers big payout or would one of them actually be useful at any point?

You were unlucky! You have lost 18 scraps
You were fortunate! You have gained 20 scraps

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Larz posted:

fallen_london.txt

like I'm pretty sure that option should be a net gain but it 100 percent is not in my experience

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
you need 10 railway steel to build a trackline!

"Manufacture supplies" gives you four! gently caress you!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
so the university opportunity cards have no draw limit and you can discard almost all of them at will

why didn't they just make those into regular storylets so I wouldn't have to discard things over and over again until I get a Visionary Student or Cora Bagley card

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Probably because it's how they implement the mechanic where if your nightmares, scandal, or suspicion get too high you only get punishment cards and either lose research or raise your menaces.

that makes sense. I wish they did it another way though, because "you will 100 percent get this card but you have to click ???? times to get it" is a little annoying

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
whoever made the only reliable grind for Justificande Coins -- robbing an Admiral's Widow -- require five Docks favors which you have to rely on opportunity cards to get can absolutely go gently caress themselves

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

vetinari100 posted:

I freely abused the Laboratory glitch(?) to quickly cycle through the deck to get those favors. Once you get to Ealing Gardens the coins are easier to obtain, although they still require an opportunity card (and a Corrective Historical Narrative).

Double Plus Undead posted:

Do you have Parabola access? If you go to the chessboard and get stabbed you can get one at a time, though it is at least consistent.

Both of these worked! thanks folks

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
any reliable way to get solacefruit other than that irritating three-action random grind (One to get there is fine, one to gamble is fine, but one to leave is ridiculous) in the Waswood?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
i like the railroad storyline but goddamn if it isn't the grindiest grind what ever ground

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
A little annoying that approving plans for the route and approving plans for the station require separate board meetings 'cause that's another week I gotta wait. Oh well! Really hope I can get Furnace back soon

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

I recently came into some cash, and I spent some of it on fate and I've been checking out the old exceptional stories.

My favorite so far is Por Una Cabeza, in fact it might be one of my favorite Fallen London things ever. Was not expecting it to be so sweet and wholesome :3: I love urchins, rubbery men, and rats so this was the perfect story for me. Doņa Villar is a woman after my own heart.

Still have some fate left, anyone have any other classic exceptional stories they recommend?

Yeah that one rules. Only thing I didn't like about it was that the "Your Benefactor" card doesn't change. I know what happened to my urchin friends 'cause I helped them win the race!

Go Tell The King of Cats has a similar degree of sentiment that I like as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

I just want to say thank you for recommending Go Tell The King of Cats, I've just started it and already the Turbulent Tabby has captured my heart.

The writers for Fallen London really get cats, adorable little monsters that they are.

Edit:

Holy poo poo, Go Tell The King of Cats is basically "Garfield has to deal with the serious ramifications wrought by his life of selfishness" and it's amazing. Still not finished, but wow I am loving this.

it's p. great.