Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

Last Days in Vietnam.

I watched this last night. Pretty strong stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Duong Thi Xuan Quy became North Vietnam's first female war correspondent, but - and it's a familiar story in a country where three million died - she never came home.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

South Korean Marines? She's super dead. They had a pretty savage rep from what I recall reading.

Intersting seeing stuff from the other side.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Who wants to see a B-17 making low passes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGynxYbA48

me

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

LingcodKilla posted:

South Korean Marines? She's super dead. They had a pretty savage rep from what I recall reading.

Intersting seeing stuff from the other side.

South Korean Marines fighting for South Vietnam?

drat, what a war

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Insane Totoro posted:

drat, what a war

And if I had said Koreans someone would have been lol south or north lol. Can't win.

And they were fighting under NATO no?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Insane Totoro posted:

drat, what a war

Let's for a start assume that they were just fighting in South Vietnam...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

And if I had said Koreans someone would have been lol south or north lol. Can't win.

Considering Korea is nowhere near the North Atlantic I doubt it.

I think they just offered to send troops on their own accord, kinda like Australia.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Considering Korea is nowhere near the North Atlantic I doubt it.

I think they just offered to send troops on their own accord, kinda like Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Korea_Marine_Corps#Vietnam_War

TL;DR the ROK Marines were pretty..... um, brutal

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

The gently caress's got NATO to do with the Vietnam conflict? Other than first the French and then the US being involved?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not surprised to find out that South Koreans are experts at torturing and massacring unarmed civilians.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
nvm

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

B4Ctom1 posted:

Who wants to see a B-17 making low passes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGGynxYbA48

me

Everyone watch this

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not surprised to find out that South Koreans are experts at torturing and massacring unarmed civilians.

Its easy to forget that south Korea was a military dictatorship until the 80's. It's changed a lot in the last 30 years.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

I can't tell if this is some sort of casual racism or what.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

How about : Well, they learned from the best.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

A heap of massacres in the Korean war were done by the South mainly against their own people suspected of being communists. Rhee was a helluva ally.

Also they drafted a whole bunch of troops to deal with the Chinese invasion and whoops forgot to feed them so maybe a quarter of them died because of it. Which, when half a million men were drafted, was a pretty big number.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

hobbesmaster posted:

Australians?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Throatwarbler posted:

Us too!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Gun_Ri_Massacre

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Koesj posted:

The gently caress's got NATO to do with the Vietnam conflict? Other than first the French and then the US being involved?

Oops my bad for having faulty memory. They just fought under American overall leadership.
Do you feel better now?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

hobbesmaster posted:

Um...the Japanese? The Germans and arguably the Soviets were both better at it than them, though.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The Marine Corps has no aircraft of its own, relying on air support from the Army and Navy.

We could only wish this was American marines.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mortabis posted:

Um...the Japanese? The Germans and arguably the Soviets were both better at it than them, though.

Aw come on this discussion again

Let me tell you how this will go: 1) the Japanese, the Germans and the Soviets were mostly on the same level, it's just the Japanese got there first, and

2) then it gets thrown out to history in general and its all Mongols vs. Aztecs

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Aw come on this discussion again

Let me tell you how this will go: 1) the Japanese, the Germans and the Soviets were mostly on the same level, it's just the Japanese got there first, and

2) then it gets thrown out to history in general and its all Mongols vs. Aztecs

The Hardcore History podcast episodes Wrath of the Khans is pretty great and has a healthy level of :stare: You killed our diplomat? Well after we smash your army in battle we'll build a stage on top of all your survivors and eat lunch on it while you all are crushed to death. Didn't surrender your city? Time to sharpen our blades and make the production line of hacking everyone we don't like(which is 90% of you) to death.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Japan has been oppressing the region since before Germany and Russia existed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Saudi Arabia might not quite be willing to shoot down an Iranian aircraft headed into Yemen, but they'll totally make that finall approach a bitch by bombing the runway before you can land.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/28/yemen-security-airport-idUSL8N0XP5FM20150428

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/saudis-intercept-yemen-bound-iranian-jet-bomb-runway-t-1701242464

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Dead-on with those aimpoints.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Saudi Arabia might not quite be willing to shoot down an Iranian aircraft headed into Yemen, but they'll totally make that finall approach a bitch by bombing the runway before you can land.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/28/yemen-security-airport-idUSL8N0XP5FM20150428

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/saudis-intercept-yemen-bound-iranian-jet-bomb-runway-t-1701242464

It would have been nice if the Reuters article actually said even vaguely what type of aircraft the Iranian one was. "an aircraft" can be a whoooole lot of things. I wasn't thinking Airbus when I read that article.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Alaan posted:

It would have been nice if the Reuters article actually said even vaguely what type of aircraft the Iranian one was. "an aircraft" can be a whoooole lot of things. I wasn't thinking Airbus when I read that article.

The jets then bombed Sanaa airport as the plane was making an approach to land, forcing it to turn back, IRNA said. It said the plane, belonging to the Red Crescent, was carrying food and medical aid to Sanaa.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm sure that plane was flying as much food and medical aid as the Qaher-313.

VVVV possibly in the sense that 50% of the plane was used for food and medicine, and 50% for weapons :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
50/50 that's the truth.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You'd think that you would fly a plane that actually had food/medicine first then when it isn't shot down you bring in the guns.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

LingcodKilla posted:

The jets then bombed Sanaa airport as the plane was making an approach to land, forcing it to turn back, IRNA said. It said the plane, belonging to the Red Crescent, was carrying food and medical aid to Sanaa.

Imagine that, the state owned news outlet didn't admit anything incriminating about the Iranian equivalent of Air America.

http://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/tg1322.aspx
http://www.treasury.gov/press-center/press-releases/Pages/jl1965.aspx
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/20120919.aspx

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

If you throw a cliff bar and a first aid pack on top of a pile of weaponry, you aren't technically a liar!

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
CLP is gun medicine, x39 is gun food.

E: EFPs cure arrogance

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

LingcodKilla posted:

Oops my bad for having faulty memory. They just fought under American overall leadership.
Do you feel better now?

SEATO was a thing

I mean, it was a completely pointless and useless thing (that South Korea wasn't a part of), but it was a thing nonetheless.

The ROK forces in South Vietnam actually numbered relatively significantly (300,000 troops total, a full division deployed at any one given time), they were there based on a request from the US, also a general antipathy towards anyone who identified as Communist. During the same duration as the Korean involvement in the Vietnam War (mid to late '60s) the North had significantly increased their involvement in the South, to the point where it was basically a low-grade war. So it makes sense that the South was interested in "fighting Communism."

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

iyaayas01 posted:

SEATO was a thing

I mean, it was a completely pointless and useless thing (that South Korea wasn't a part of), but it was a thing nonetheless.

The ROK forces in South Vietnam actually numbered relatively significantly (300,000 troops total, a full division deployed at any one given time), they were there based on a request from the US, also a general antipathy towards anyone who identified as Communist. During the same duration as the Korean involvement in the Vietnam War (mid to late '60s) the North had significantly increased their involvement in the South, to the point where it was basically a low-grade war. So it makes sense that the South was interested in "fighting Communism."

From what I understand, a lot of the reason there were ROK troops in Vietnam was that the US offered to pay a lot of money, to help try to provide some international legitimacy to the fight.

Both US and ROK marines had a bad reputation in Vietnam in terms of atrocities, so it evens out.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
USAF A-10s in Estonia for some joint excercises.

Gallery: http://www.delfi.ee/news/paevauudised/eesti/fotod-amari-lennuvaljal-maandusid-usa-rundelennukid?id=71376481

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Panzeh posted:

From what I understand, a lot of the reason there were ROK troops in Vietnam was that the US offered to pay a lot of money, to help try to provide some international legitimacy to the fight.

Both US and ROK marines had a bad reputation in Vietnam in terms of atrocities, so it evens out.

Did anybody in that war not have a bad reputation? The ANZAC forces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Khmers rouges, the only sufficiently revolutionary movement ever to have existed.