Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Low altitude B-1B is super cool anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Beavers own.

Also Twin Otters.

I had only seen the pic of the B-1B zooming over water like that, and I think I've seen other versions of it similar too. Still looks cool as hell.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SyHopeful posted:

i prefer the contraction "Twotters"

You have insulted a national institution! *glove slap*

:haw:

I have flown on pontoon twotters before and they land like they're divebombing pearl harbour or something. It owns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Needs more Avrocars with recoilless rifles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The "secret weapons" addon for battlefield 1942 had a Goblin in the game along with some wacky flying wing bombers and such, it owned.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Crosspostin this, I saw this blogspot from last may about the Libyan SAM network, seemed kinda timely.. You know, just in case. *whistles*

http://geimint.blogspot.com/2010/05/libyan-sam-network.html

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Those nuclear ABMs would have kind of sucked for Canada because they'd probably be detonated overtop of us :tinfoil:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Flikken posted:

I fail to see the issue

As long as it's over Alberta it's all good.

NosmoKing posted:

As for detonating nukes over Canada, the Spartan MIGHT have been blowded up over the sweet land of beavers and maple leafs, but it would have been exoatmospheric.

The point defense missles would have been blown up over the US soil as they had such short range.

I wonder if Canada was on the "gently caress YOU TOO!" list for Russia. Anyone know? Did they say "piss on it, we're going to hit every major military and civilian center in the US, may as well blow the poo poo out of Toronto as well!"

Previous to the ABMs, there were the Bomarc nuclear-tipped SAMs that were deployed in Canada. The idea being the US was going to deploy them and it would mean intercepts of Soviet bombers over Canada, and this way it would push the intercept location further north into unpopulated areas rather than being over Sudbury or whatever.

They pretty much caused the cancellation of the near-mythically revered in Canada Avro Arrow.

I'm pretty sure there were nukes targeted at various industrial areas of Canada as well (being in NATO and all), although for the most part it's all close enough to the border to get pretty nasty splash damage/fallout anyway.

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 9, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

1) I don't think anyone would notice if you nuked Sudbury.

2) We need an Arrow thread, gently caress the haters.

I looked up the Ontario Bomarc site on google maps and it's literally right on (part of) the trans-canada, surprising that it's not a little more off the beaten path: http://goo.gl/maps/TttR

Arrows were cool as hell. Oldschool interceptors were the best like that and the English Electric Lightning.. Powerrrrrrr!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My dad's cousin flew CF-104s and he managed to not crash any of them! (They had about a 50% rate of attrition IIRC) Another interceptor but then also used for strike and recon. Much smaller than the Electric Lightning/Avro/Voodoo though.

He is a tallish dude and I think he was literally right on the extreme edge of height allowable for fighter pilots.

Bonus: sweet tiger paint job

priznat fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 11, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is Bat*21 an alright book? I kind of liked the movie for a lazy sunday flick. Gene Hackman + Danny Glover + O-2s + EB-66 = how can you go wrong.

It looks like they had a ton of fun filming the O-2 scenes, especially.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Groda posted:

That thar's a Bomarc! What the Arrow was scrapped in favour of.. :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Flanker posted:

I think he knows that.

That may be, but it was more for the benefit of those folks who didn't :3:

The difference between the A-12 and the SR-71 is that I have not touched an SR-71 (yet)

Not shown: me touching the A-12

Also, the CIA released a tonne of information on the A-12 (FOI) and can be browsed here: http://www.foia.cia.gov/search.asp?pageNumber=1&freqReqRecord=a12.txt

priznat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 30, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I didn't actually touch it :ssh: but I could have!

Plus it was sitting outdoors in Alabama anyway, not exactly hermetically sealed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Japanese Bug Fights posted:

Is this the center in Huntsville? I live like a half-mile from it now, and have been meaning to check it out.

Yep! I have more photos of it, I was in town for work. We went to the space center on the way to the airport.

Was pretty cool because I don't think I'd ever have visited Huntsville otherwise if it wasn't a work thing. Nice place though, I liked it.

Definitely go and check it out, especially for the real Saturn V on its side. That thing's awesome. I wonder if they've followed up with the plan to put it inside a building, it was just outside in the elements too which is a drat shame.

(all the rocket boosters were covered up because it was in the midst of being spruced up and repainted)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Styles Bitchley posted:

Shirley that doesn't have F-1s installed???

I think you're right, I remember seeing something about how the engines installed were not real ones or something, but when they moved it indoors they were going to put some F-1s they had lying around on it. Literally, there was an F-1 engine just sitting outside near the Saturn V.

Pic of the installation now (not my pic):

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Standing next to one of those lying on its side and seeing the mockup standing up it's pretty amazing to think not only did objects just like that fly, they also did it (almost) straight up at incredible speeds.

It's too bad the Constellation project got kiboshed because the Ares V would be amazing to see launch.

priznat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 31, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pfft who needs capsules and poo poo. A bucket dangling under a balloon, then go 19.5 miles up and hop out.

brb!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Did I read somewhere that with the shuttle design the SRBs can be just disconnected right on the launch pad if something goes awry so they just take off on their own, leaving the orbiter and the fuel tank sitting on the pad?

That'd be quite the sight. Perhaps I just imagined it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I guess it'd just be a fuckit we're launching this bastard and then bail out over the atlantic or whatever. I wasn't sure if the shuttle rested on the SRBs or if there was some kind of structure below the main engines, but that'd have to be quite the weight bearing structure. It's been years since I've watched a shuttle launch, can't you tell.

Still, that'd be quite the sight with the SRBs just flying off at crazy angles :supaburn:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

From the pad directly that is.. Without blowing anyone up :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cobra Night Raven best toy ever

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Are there any photos around of the "stealth" blackhawk that was supposedly used to insert/extract the SEAL team to get bin laden?

Aside from the smashed up tail section of the one that ditched and was destroyed, that is.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-05/secret-stealth-helicopters-ferried-troops-obl-kill-operation

I'm guessing "probably not"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

NosmoKing posted:

What about the drat NOISE of an approaching helicopter?

Them dang things is loud.

It's impressive how much of the noise of a helicopter is actually because of the tail rotor. I lived in a place that was trialing one of the MD-500s without the tail rotor (NOTAR) using a ducted fan out the tailboom, and it was way quieter than a regular chopper.

I know this because I lived in a bit of a "colourful" area and it would be flying over my neighbourhood fairly often. Getting out of my car then getting hit by their gigantic nightsun flood light without even realizing there was a helicopter right overhead freaked the living bejeesus out of me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Hah, no I didn't mean skin colour. It was calgary and it's as cracker as it gets. Just there was a lot of B&Es and a hell's angels clubhouse down the road.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm only racist against Belgians. gently caress those guys.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like FN so that makes it all the hotter.. Like it's forbidden :h:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Not directing energy towards the crowd can be pretty important..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrB-YQqeNpk

:psyduck:

Also the Brits had some pretty cool cold war airplanes, especially the Vulcan and English Electric Lightning.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Can we expand the discussion a little bit on the Canada fighter selection? It'd be nice to be able to talk about it with folks who have an actual clue (unlike in the Canada D&D thread where it boiled down to "why do we need jets to intercept 50 year old russian planes anyway?" :psyduck:)

I'm on board with the need for replacing the CF-18s, but it just seems like the procurement process has been a little flawed. I guess a major problem is the lack of viable 5th generation fighters to be had. Perhaps there wouldn't be any other options that would fit the criteria, but it's kind of annoying the tender wasn't even put out there in the first place.

Factoring in the unknown end costs, the ongoing development and debugging of the entire system, it seems this is a pretty risky horse to bet on. Last I heard they wouldn't be ready to field until 2020 or so for that matter.

Basically what would people here think would make a good alternative to the F-35 for a small military, bearing in mind they'd have to do a lot of different tasks, have extended range capabilities etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Man I hope it's going to be viable for longer than 20 years! I thought it was supposed to carry us until 2050 or something like that.

It's probably the best answer but I can't help but be very nervous about cost overruns and development issues. At least we won't be taking any of the S/VTOL risks with it, but still. It sounded like some US gov't bigwigs were expressing some extreme concern about the spiraling costs of the project.

Agreed about the Gripen, Typhoon et al. It doesn't even sound like those would be appreciably cheaper (barring some serious overruns)

I have to laugh about some people expressing we should be looking at the PAK FA aka Su-50, though. Yeah, that's gonna happen!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Flanker posted:

I've said in the past that Russian designed aircraft license built in Canada to our specs would serve us incredibly well, but that's an insanely unrealistic idea.

It would be pretty cool but definitely unrealistic. Even the talk of getting some An-124Il-76s instead of the C-17s went absolutely nowhere. (Although I'm pretty sure Canada leases time on those and the An-225s when need be)

priznat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 6, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ought ten posted:

Could you or someone else ID these for me? Attack helicopters are the bee's knees.

1) Chinese WZ-10

2) Mil Mi-28

3) Denel AH-2

4) Kamov KA-50

e;fb, drat my linking slowness!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I just remember the Mi-28 and WZ-10, what was the other one in BF2? Or was it an expansion? I only had special forces I think..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I must say the Eurofighters, Gripens and Rafales look really cool. The combo of the delta wing and forward canards are nifty as heck.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'd been thinking of the SuperHornet as an alternative to the F-35 so much I forgot all about the Silent Eagle. That'd be a great alternative too IMO.

It's odd seeing an F-15 with canted stabilizers!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

F-22: IT'S TAPE!

Slo-Tek posted:

I've seen them flying the F-15SE test bed out over Lambert Field a couple times in the last year. The one they have flying now doesn't have the bent stabs. it's just a fat eagle with the conformational weapons bays.

Ah so it's not like this one anymore?

priznat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 7, 2011

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ah yeah it looked a little mock-uppy.

Gotta wonder how stealthy it can get with giant vertical stabs, though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That DAS thing is cool and the video is unintentionally amusing. That poor ZSU just pumping rounds all futile like and the F-35 is like *yawn, drop bomb*

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also don't forget that "Amazing Stories" where the guy got stuck in there and the landing gear was buggered!

He drew giant cartoon wheels that became real somehow and they landed safely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CarterUSM posted:

I can't believe someone ELSE remembers this.

:hfive: That show kinda rocked

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0511124/

I forgot about Costner and Kiefer Sutherland being in it though!