Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Centurion Tanks in Korea - Report by Lt J Brown RNZAC March 1952

This was posted by rossmum in the World of Tanks thread. It's a very informative and funny read especially if you're familiar with tanks and their crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Soviet APCs look like they must be really goddamn cramped. Is it not just the tanks that ordinary sized people can't fit in?

All of their ground combat vehicles are sized for midgets. I'm only 5'8" and ~135lbs and getting into, out of, and around a T-72, MT-LB, BMP-2 and whatever else was not a pleasant experience.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Taerkar posted:

German tank design got a lot better once they started to use proper manufacturing techniques and didn't have completely insane design boards/requirements.

A lot of the Cold War-era armor before the introduction of composites was based on the mostly correct idea that RHA just wasn't suitable for tank armor anymore. Studies also showed that there was a remarkably small area of a tank that would normally get hit anyways (Upper Front Glacis to turret) so many of the post-war designs focused on making that more resilient. Severe slopes and low profiles to minimize exposure. Sometimes with pretty thick turret fronts as well.

Remember that the Leopard I was built on the theory that it would be fighting largely from prepared positions, running away falling back rapidly and then resuming the engagement from the next line of defense.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Flikken posted:

Isn't the James river reserve fleet in a river therefore fresh water?

It's actually in the James River Estuary.

https://goo.gl/maps/es7Ku

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

I was reading a different forum, and some guys were cumming all over the place about the MSTA-S SPG's rate of fire compared to the M109's. The M109's is slower, so thus the M109 sucks dick etc etc.

It made me wonder though how important pure RoF is nowadays for gun artillery. Is the Paladin's rate of fire a hindrance in actual field use? Or are most fire missions executed with enough guns/short enough duration that it doesnt really matter.

There are several European programs that can get the Paladin's RoF way up, but the US just seems sort of content at firing slowly but with more a quicker reaction when called upon as the vehicle is upgraded progressively.

Rate of fire is indeed an important attribute. But then so is set up and tear down time (so you're not there when the counter battery fire lands). However I would say that the guided rounds in the M109 give it a big edge on other SPGs simply because you have to fire far fewer rounds to knock out your target.

My experience was all from the observing and directing end of things and at the time (2003) the guided rounds were mostly (all?) M898 SADARMs which were used to kill armor, particularly in and around Karbala. What that actually means is that my crew and I sat parked facing three batteries of M109s providing overwatch in case the Fedayeen assholes decided to get frisky and come try to shoot at them while they did their artillery thing. The "observing and directing" thing was all probably done via UAV. No big deal because we got a front seat for a 3am fireworks show the likes of which I have never seen since. Oh did I mention that a half mile behind the tube artillery was the 3rd ID's MLRS battalion? Yeah.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 3, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Does Ukraine even have any large military aircraft that can fly at the speed/altitude MH17 was at?

http://www.antonov.com/

You may have heard of them.

More to the point the Ukrainian AF guys aren't going to tool around at altitude over 'separatist' territory.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

The success or failure of post war reconstruction and nation building is more complex than just who the enforcers are. It has q lot more to do with the previous political traditions and how well the old elites are either rehabilitated or how well a new ruling elite establishes a broad base of support in the local population. The post WW2 governments in Germany both recycled non top level nazis and had the governments run by anti fascist men and women who had been prominent before 1933. It also helped for W Germany that they had experience with every day democracy going back to Imperial Germany. . In the Japanese case the emperor signing off on the new govt was huge. Meanwhile SVietnam [not an occupation but hosed ip nation building] was always a small group of elites with low popular support n a nation with near zero experience with democratic politics. In Iraq debaathization was even more ham handed than early denazification and in any event the young democracy quickly was dominated by groups with very narrow sectarian support bases. It wasn't the anti American insurgency that hosed it up there for the most part it was the sunni/Shia civil war. Same deal in Afghanistan broadly. Little to no previous experience with democratic politics and leaders who couldn't pull together a broad support base. All this was exacerbated by the corrupt nepotistic and croniest activities that came later.

It cannot be emphasized enough how much the De-Ba'athification of the Iraqi government and civil service hurt the early occupation's efforts to stabilize and govern the country. And then the police and army were dissolved. In one fell swoop the US occupying forces created a power vacuum *and* offered the nascent insurgency a pool of disaffected Sunnis with not much to lose. Oh and it possible for the Shi'ite majority to assume control of the bureaucracy with little or no opposition and we all know how well that turned out.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 22, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Drakens on an adventure in the streets of Linköping, 1960's.

Okay I'll bite, why are the Drakens getting towed through town?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

mustard_tiger posted:

Would the gyros on an ICBM be of a similar size or could they be made smaller using other technology like stargazing?

Yes they're smaller but anything more detailed than that is :opsec: and will summon the dark forces to the forum and we don't want that now do we?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

The only reason the ski jump is on the Aussie carriers is they came with the original design and they decided it wasn't worth the money for the redesign/build. They're not like the new America class, designed to be light carriers in a pinch. Internally they're not built and equipped to handle plane logistics and the flight deck would need major upgrades to handle F35's.

I was going to be all superior and call you out saying that the ship can totally service aircraft but I looked at the interior plan and it's nowhere near the size necessary to support a squadron of F-35s. Hell the drat thing was designed around Harriers.

Also of interest (to me anyway) was that the ship is a Spanish design and not the French Mistral. I had no idea the Spanish were still in the large surface combatant shipbuilding game. That's pretty nifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Are those rocket-assisted projectiles or just a huge smoke trail and really straight shooting?

It's a tracer and its attendant smoke trail. Tank rounds fly a nearly flat trajectory.