Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Albatross makin it rain:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f3e_1372272483

It's like an ekranoplan, only useful, and can fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Drone troubles? http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=192_1373919092

Well, more like operator error, but still.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Godholio posted:

What was replaced by that plastic cover just in front of the bombs? It looks too small to be a gun.

That may be something like a temp. probe, antenna or some other insturment, I believe that area is occupied by the navigator so I doubt he had a gun. You can see they moved the pitot from up high to down low as well. The plane was probably modernized at one point for ease of maintenance and/or improved systems to keep it flying.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

That bitch must be one hell of a squirter on disconnect.

Also reminded me of this old military film showing off the KC-135, complete with some interviews with crewmen who flew and got refueled by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_H5f16rM8U

I love these old videos, especially the voices. We, as a society, need to go back to smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day to get that smooth, sexy Marlboro Man voice.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9be_1376591341

I'd like to imagine some eccentric Russian billionaire was out enjoying his Cold War play-set. The music just makes it even more awesome.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

priznat posted:

Meanwhile, in Canada..

Stealth snowmobiles! Only $620k each, cheap.

quote:

The quest, meanwhile, to develop a silent snowmobile remains highly secretive.

The war with the Polar Bears is coming.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

right arm posted:

just got back from the evergreen air museum in hillsboro with my grandpa

Did you take gramps to the water park? Fun fact: that 747 on top is the one MCLAAAAAAANE blew up at the end of Die Hard 2.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Mike-o posted:

Some grocery store in Pennsylvania or some junk. Kid in my basic training wouldn't shut up about it.

It's not a grocery store, it's a glorified gas station.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Cool video showing the insides of a Titan launch facility and the launch procedure:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c8e_1377921991

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Warbadger posted:

NASA is launching a moon probe on a modified Peacekeeper tonight from the coast of Virginia. Will be watching from my back porch!

http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html

Why did I think this was going off at Canaveral? I was looking forward to watching it from my back porch, damnit! Oh well, guess I'll have to wait until MAVEN goes up in November.

Also this type of rocket has the most :black101: name ever: Minotaur V. Sounds a lot better than "modified Peacekeeper."

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Warbadger posted:

This is the Cold War thread! Of course it needs to be mentioned that we're shooting an ICBM at the moon!

Well when you put it that way...

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Someone just had a little Virginian Freudian slip. "Ready for lynch... launch."

Edit: I found this really neat PDF while looking for more info on the Minotaur series, it takes a while to load and it's 9 years old, but if you need some light :spergin: reading before bed this definitely fills that role: http://www.orbital.com/NewsInfo/Publications/Minotaur_Guide_HiRes.pdf

Edit 2: That thing took off, excuse the pun, like a loving rocket. I don't think I've ever seen something leave the pad that fast.

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 7, 2013

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

For those that missed the launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf0SIRxXvRo

I've been watching launches for my entire life, but this one really stands out. While I greedily wish it had been launched from Canaveral I'm glad that people who normally don't see launches got to see this one. The more people that see the awesome work NASA does the better chance NASA will stay funded and continuing to be awesome.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Have you thought about writing movies for the SciFi Syfy channel?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Sjurygg posted:

When it does get moving, though, poo poo's on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLdY-RLrERE

They'll murder all of us with chromed out Bren guns set to an 80s action movie soundtrack.

Come to think of it I haven't seen a "North Korean Training Film" that didn't look like a bunch of random scenes from 80s action movies.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

wdarkk posted:

I'm thinking about going to Cape Kennedy Space Center this december, but I'm getting confused by all the different tours. Has anyone been there recently and could tell me which are/aren't worthwhile?

Everything is worthwhile :colbert:

But man they really did make their tours confusing as all hell, they weren't always like that. If you're spending just one day there you need to see the IMAX movie(s), the Atlantis exhibit, the VAB and the Saturn V/Apollo Center. The exhibits in the visitor complex itself are also pretty neat, the rocket garden especially. You can get some really nice pictures of the rocket garden at dusk when they turn the lights on.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

grover posted:

nuuuuuukes iiiinnnn ssspppppaaaaaaaccceeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OS8kNn_2Ro
Interesting 52-minute video about US's high-altitude nuclear test program.

Love this. I had a DVD 3-pack years ago that had Nukes in Space, Trinity and Beyond and one more documentary that I can't remember but it was the most boring of the three. It even came with 3D glasses so you could watch a nuke go off in 3D :science:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

I only ever saw the scene where some pilot-mans takes a girl for a joyride in a P-51 (ignoring the fact it only has room for one person, barely) and they even managed to make that part suck poo poo.

Every part dealing with the love story sucked. They could have left that entire side plot on the cutting room floor and had a better movie in the end.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

That would have left them with like 20 minutes of the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor and 10 minutes of Doolittle raid. Plus some barnyard flying I guess.

Like I said, a much better movie. :colbert:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I love the way old Soviet cockpits look. It looks like someone shoved a bunch of knobs, switches and levers up their nose, sneezed, and wherever things ended up is where they stayed.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Slow-mo HD video of the shuttle engine igniting. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fd9_1386028600

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Why would you increase your angle of attack that much while you're that low and slow? Especially over the ocean where you have no vertical obstacles. He was in an established climb but kept increasing nose-up, if he had just maintained a slight nose up he could have increased his speed and then climbed safely. While you think dumping the cargo would help because "hey less mass" it will shift the center of gravity, forcing a change in pitch. When you're that close to stalling (you can see him already losing lift about 3 seconds before the roll) it doesn't take much more nose-up to turn it into a stall. Guy panicked and made a quick series of incorrect decisions, unless he had a sudden double engine failure he should have been able to make it back to the ship.

/armchair piloting

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Not Nipsy Russell posted:

Could there have been timing issues, too, like making sure they don't both eject at the same time, to allow a margin of safety/clearance? Maybe the protocol was, "you don't bail until that light comes on." By then, minimal chance of the two ejections fouling on each other. I have no idea, just sort of guessing.

Goose would still be alive today if this system was in existence back then.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Craptacular posted:

The Czech and Dutch roundels are really similar, the only difference is a tiny little orange circle in the middle of the Dutch one.

Plus the Czech Republic isn't known for its windmills.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f30_1393584675

:stare:

Hinds are so cool, but not that many in one place outside of an airshow, that would be incredibly unnerving.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Psion posted:

The guy on the left seems to be studying tactical diagrams of breakfast.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought he was eating his in-flight meal upon first glance.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

We kept them on the submarine to capture small radioactive coolant leaks.

This is what happens when everyone cheats on tests.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

priznat posted:

That is crazy as balls

quote:

3. China and Malaysia also have Awacs type systems. Since it was a Malaysian plane flying with Chinese engineers, it is safe to rationalize out that neither China nor Malaysia did this.

It is inconceivable that false flag attacks happen anywhere but America :freep:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

This isn't even halfway on topic, but I figure you airplane nerds can either give me the tl;dr on this or point me to a worthwhile thread.

No one knows anything, read this to entertain yourself. I read the whole thing last night (and his Fukushima Iranian Gun Nuke Cameras that exploded the reactors), it's all insane bullshit, but it's incredibly fun to read.

Edit: Related to this thread, there's this thing

Located about 10 minutes from me, anyone interested in some pictures?

Doctor Grape Ape fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 14, 2014

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

B-52 Park right next to Orlando International/McCoy? It's a pretty neat little park.

Yup. I haven't been there in 10 years or so. There's actually quite a few neat aircraft scattered around Central Florida. Off the top of my head: a Blue Angels A-4 in Research Park near UCF, RA-5C at Sanford International and an F-15 sitting alongside a road in DeBary. Plus the Warbird Museum in Kissimmee and Fantasy of Flight in Lakeland which is as close to nirvana as you can get if you like WWII and earlier aviation. Seriously, check out their collection: http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraft/

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

MrChips posted:

Fantasy of Flight is closing to the public in three weeks. :(

Shiiiiiiiiit. Guess I might be heading there too.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Breaky posted:

I grew up in the sticks outside of NAS - New Orleans and got to see a lot of cool poo poo.

Like a 737 landing dead stick on a levee?

(it landed on the longer portion running perpendicular to where it's pointing in that picture)

Story for those that don't know because it's pretty cool:

A TACA (now Avianica) 737-300 was flying from Belize to New Orleans in May 1988, this particular plane was literally brand new with less than 100 flight hours, TACA had only operated the plan for a couple weeks. On approach into New Orleans there were heavy thunderstorms, they tried to avoid the worst of them by following their weather radar but they still had to fly threw some very heavy storms. While decending through 16,000 both engines flame out and would overheat when they attempted to restart. Due to the weather their glide ratio was crap, had the weather been normal they probably could have made the airport. The pilot sees the canal adjacent to that levee and assumes he's going to ditch in the water. At the last moment he sees that levee on the right side of the canal and decides to put it down there instead, landing without further damaging the aircraft and everyone got off the plane safely. But the story doesn't stop there, the recovery is just as awesome as the landing. Boeing first thought they'd have to dismantle the plane and float it out on barges. Instead, they just changed out the damaged engines, and then took off using Saturn Blvd (which had been where an old runway was located).

Google map of the area:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0189201,-89.9190468,2049m/data=!3m1!1e3

The cause of the accident was due to insufficient testing of water and hail ingestion in the engines, after this incident the testing was revised. The plane is now owned and is still being operated by Southwest Airlines.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I wish, the only video of this incident that I have ever seen is just the plane sitting on the ground with emergency slides deployed. The following from MSNBC has that footage and an interview with the pilot, who was already a badass before he landed a commercial airliner on a levee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPn8G7enbF4

There's also this from Smithsonian/Discovery, it's kind of cheesy like most plane accident re-enactment shows but it's entertaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX54q552Zac

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

MrYenko posted:

And you can't shoot down the office.

You can shoot down an office.

The VC-25s have to be among the lowest flight hour 747 hulls in the world (and arguably the most rigorously maintained), replacing them now (or anytime in the next 20-25 years) is a stupid waste of money. Though I think they should roll the 707s out of retirement because nothing says America better than an ear-bleedingly loud airplane that leaves plumes of noxious black smoke in its wake.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

I see why Ted Striker kind of lost his poo poo with all those lights and knobs. Good thing Mr Shatner was there to help.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Good thing these exist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-767

Chop radars off the E-3s, stick them on E-767s, give them aerial refueling capability, then pat self on back for a fiscally-responsible and 'duuuuuuh' move.

I had never heard of these, that's a pretty nice looking platform. Also, rotodome is incredibly fun to say. Rotodome. Rotodome. ROTODOME

I have to wonder if the 777 would be a better platform to develop? It's much younger than the 767, larger, able to fly longer and carry more. I'm also restraining myself from making a joke in really poor taste. You can figure it out.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

How do the costs compare when using a reusable spacecraft like the Shuttle vs. one use rockets like the Soyuz. I have to imagine all the maintenance/man hours that takes place to make sure the Shuttle is ready to use again would probably be getting really close to the cost of something like a Soyuz. Is this why the Orion is more Apollo than Shuttle?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

SgtMongoose posted:

Definitely impossible. You'd be a madman to even try!

Tex Johnson is the man. He was supposedly the inspiration for Maj. King Kong in Dr. Strangelove. I keep meaning to get his autobiography but I haven't had time for pleasure reading lately.

My current favorite piece of flying is Kyle Franklin doing his drunk spectator stealing an airplane bit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWQ6cJiaiI

From the cockpit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8xnc9HpF-Y

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Holy poo poo. I've never seen this before, that is as insane as it is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

IIRC, it's a KC 707 tanker.

This, it's a KC-135. It also retains the early turbojet engines in lieu of the turbofans that most now wear.

But what the heck is that white one? It looks like a Gulfstream with a tumor minus a few windows. Is it basically a baby AWACS?