Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've used friends' gaming mouses before, but never really noticed a big difference between them and my $5 3-button Logitech besides number of buttons and being marginally more comfortable. Is a slightly higher DPI really ever gonna make a difference in anything but fine skill contests besides absurdly talented players?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smee
Sep 24, 2004
Seeing this Logitech discussion crop up makes me want to throw in my $0.02

I currently own an MX1000 cordless mouse, which was sent to me FREE OF CHARGE after I called Logitech about my MX700 no longer holding a charge.

The guy on the phone walked me through the usual steps (Is it plugged in, pencil erasers on the contacts, etc), then he asked for my info, which I initially started giving to him but then my :tinfoil: set in and I asked "What's this for, anyway? All my personal info, that is" "Oh, we're going to send you a new mouse."

I not only got a free replacement mouse for my old defective one (which still lasted a good while, considering it was my first cordless) I ended up getting an upgrade.

Since then, any peripheral device I buy for my computer has been Logitech. Speakers, keyboard (bought a G15 about 3 months after they came out, still rockin' it, though the LCD screen is now cracked :(), mouse, headset, all Logitech.

I love 'em :3:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

One of the things I find awesome about modern PC gaming is that it's a great way for people who can't justify the cost of a new console to get into the occasional game. Most desktops you can pick up in a store these days come with a dual core processor and 2+ gigs of RAM, so all you really have to do to play games is throw down for a cheap video card and you're off, unlike with the $300+ consoles these days.

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
If I hadn't splurged on the G35 "gaming" headset, I would never be able to annoy the LC mumble with its voice filters. Pro gear for life.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I own a g5 at home and I love it too, so my all-encompassing statement was probably exaggeration. Still, don't get suckered into buying a 300 dollar official WORLD OF WARCRAFT(tm) GAMING KEYBOARD just because it's got a few extra keys and a stupid little screen.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

abigserve posted:

3rding this, also never ever ever ever buy anything that has the word "gaming" on the box

Seriously, "gaming" headsets are the biggest culprits but you'll see it pop up in other places as well. Gaming generally = less quality, but more XTREMEEE (and also 75% markup on something that isn't lovely)

Most of the time this is true, although like others have said, there are exceptions. (Logitech mice being the most obvious)

Speaking of the MX518, I have one that doesn't have that lame bullet hole pattern on it, just plain red. Got it on sale at Target years ago for $30. It owns. :chord:

After Googling it it looks like it was a Target only thing. Weird. Anyway, here's one that has a slight pattern but at least it's not the bullet holes.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've used friends' gaming mouses before, but never really noticed a big difference between them and my $5 3-button Logitech besides number of buttons and being marginally more comfortable. Is a slightly higher DPI really ever gonna make a difference in anything but fine skill contests besides absurdly talented players?
Getting used to a high dpi setting is easier than it sounds, and although it's not gonna make most players way better at fine aiming, the ability to quickly spin around is really helpful in a lot of fps'. In Team Fortress 2, for instance, it's real quick for me to whip around and check for spies while I'm going somewhere. Not that I ever do it when it would help. The adjustable dpi is pretty handy too when you need to aim more carefully, like sniping.

anuj
Oct 14, 2005

~anime crew~
~R.I.P. Soap-san~

Taffer posted:

Most of the time this is true, although like others have said, there are exceptions. (Logitech mice being the most obvious)

Speaking of the MX518, I have one that doesn't have that lame bullet hole pattern on it, just plain red. Got it on sale at Target years ago for $30. It owns. :chord:

After Googling it it looks like it was a Target only thing. Weird. Anyway, here's one that has a slight pattern but at least it's not the bullet holes.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50

The MX518 can't get enough love. Yeah it looks like someone on an acid trip found a copy of Photoshop Elements, but it's one hell of a mouse.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Smee posted:

I currently own an MX1000 cordless mouse, which was sent to me FREE OF CHARGE after I called Logitech about my MX700 no longer holding a charge.

The guy on the phone walked me through the usual steps (Is it plugged in, pencil erasers on the contacts, etc), then he asked for my info, which I initially started giving to him but then my :tinfoil: set in and I asked "What's this for, anyway? All my personal info, that is" "Oh, we're going to send you a new mouse."

I not only got a free replacement mouse for my old defective one (which still lasted a good while, considering it was my first cordless) I ended up getting an upgrade.

Since then, any peripheral device I buy for my computer has been Logitech. Speakers, keyboard (bought a G15 about 3 months after they came out, still rockin' it, though the LCD screen is now cracked :(), mouse, headset, all Logitech.

I love 'em :3:

Logitech has the best customer service in the hardware industry by far. Every time I've had a product of theirs break or not working optimally, they send me a new one for free.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Okonner posted:

Getting used to a high dpi setting is easier than it sounds, and although it's not gonna make most players way better at fine aiming, the ability to quickly spin around is really helpful in a lot of fps'. In Team Fortress 2, for instance, it's real quick for me to whip around and check for spies while I'm going somewhere. Not that I ever do it when it would help. The adjustable dpi is pretty handy too when you need to aim more carefully, like sniping.

Eh, I don't normally play any online games at anything above an occasional level, so maybe thats why I don't notice the difference.

Node posted:

Logitech has the best customer service in the hardware industry by far. Every time I've had a product of theirs break or not working optimally, they send me a new one for free.

You've had Logitech stuff break? I never have, that's why I love them.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's not a huge difference, but you don't have to be "absurdly talented" to notice it.

It's most useful when you need to pick out lots of tiny little targets in a row, so like selecting individual High Templar in Brood War, or poking people with a shock rifle from across the map in UT.

If you don't play RTS or arcadey FPS games it's probably not going to change much but they're also just really comfortable, sturdy mice.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You've had Logitech stuff break? I never have, that's why I love them.

One of their wireless mice a long time ago had the plug on the transformer get loose or something. I just asked for a replacement for the power cord/transformer, but they just sent me a whole new boxed product.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Magnificent Quiver posted:

The MX518 was definitely advertised as a gaming product through and through.

They really ought to make one without the weird pattern though.

Personally, I like the look of it. It is the only thing that breaks up the boring-ness of my computer setup. Black and silver case, a black and silver keyboard (and yes having it light up is useful when my girlfriend is sleeping and I want to get some gaming in without having a light on and can't find insert or print screen) and a regular black LCD. I feel like the MX518 gives it some individuality, or makes it less boring. I also like the look of the G500 but I'm more worried about how it performs.

I don't think they look like bullet holes :(

Edit - screwed up links

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 20, 2010

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

americanzero4128 posted:

Personally, I like the look of it. It is the only thing that breaks up the boring-ness of my computer setup. Black and silver case, a black and silver keyboard (and yes having it light up is useful when my girlfriend is sleeping and I want to get some gaming in without having a light on and can't find insert or print screen) and a regular black LCD. I feel like the MX518 gives it some individuality, or makes it less boring. I also like the look of the G500 but I'm more worried about how it performs.

I don't think they look like bullet holes :(

Edit - screwed up links
The G500 is fantastic, I'm using one now. I got it a few months ago, after my MX518 that I had been using for 3 years started to poo poo itself.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

dirtysoundfx posted:

Agreed. The stupid pattern is the only thing keeping me from buying this thing. It's as stupid as those towers with useless blue or red LEDs all over the place.
As much as I dislike the pattern, it's a quality mouse and I'm happy with my purchase of it so far.

What's people's recommendation for USB based controllers for a solid D-Pad. I've got a 360 controller that I love using for any game that accepts it, but I'd rather play old emulated games for the SNES/NES as well as platformers with an actual D-Pad and not the control sticks on the pad as its D-Pad doesn't really cut it.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Master_Odin posted:

As much as I dislike the pattern, it's a quality mouse and I'm happy with my purchase of it so far.

What's people's recommendation for USB based controllers for a solid D-Pad. I've got a 360 controller that I love using for any game that accepts it, but I'd rather play old emulated games for the SNES/NES as well as platformers with an actual D-Pad and not the control sticks on the pad as its D-Pad doesn't really cut it.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Silver-Controller-Play-Charge/dp/B0041HROGG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1292820389&sr=8-8

:haw:

A Wii Classic Controller is a good bet though, but you'll need a Wiimote and a bluetooth kajigger.

edit: or apparently something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-Controller-PC-USB-Adapter/dp/B003711698

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 20, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Master_Odin posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034ZOAO0/ref=oss_product

I use this and it owns so hard.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Smee posted:

I used that mouse for years and loved it. You're lucky too, it only came with a keyboard+mouse combo. In fact, my favorite mice for gaming always seem to only come in Logitech keyboard+mouse combos because they always have a convenient third side button instead of the usual 2 that most "gaming" mice seem to have. I like to map as many functions (sprint/melee/grenade/etc.) to the mouse as possible and the more buttons the merrier.

The MX1000

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

The one I'm using now (the MK700 combo)

Click here for the full 800x451 image.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Okonner posted:

The adjustable dpi is pretty handy too when you need to aim more carefully, like sniping.
It sounds super gimmicky on the box or how most companies say things like "You will rule the battlefield as you can change sensitivity on-the-fly and everyone will cower in your skill. Your allies will thank you for using such amazing equipment"

But in all honesty its one of the best features on the mouse which I use alot. Really helps in games like ARMA II when you have to deal with pinpoint precision and breathing. This is sort of the few small cases where buying gaming equipment actually helps out. Its not that it makes you a better player, but it allows you to , you know, have more options. And plus the fact this mouse is not ambidextrous makes it so much more comfortable.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 20, 2010

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

For emulation, you can't beat the USB Saturn Pad: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLACK-PC-MAC-USB-CONTROLLER-SEGA-SATURN-/150536071425?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item230ca62901#ht_7362wt_1139

They come dirt cheap and play like a dream. If you have bigger hands or prefer the Xbox bulky controllers for some reason, try the SFIV variantt: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Street-Fighter-FightPad-Ryu/dp/B001M241KU

The latter comes with a turbo if that matters to you (most emulators will let you configure turbo in software), and its a bit heavier. I prefer the Saturn Pad, but I've had some difficulties getting it to work properly on certain emulators--nothing that I couldn't fix with Xpadder but YMMV.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

ShinAli posted:

Not to be all chicken little but it feels kind of bad to see a thread on PC gaming as if it were some sort of niche.

Anyways, as a kind of person that needs some form of mobility with his PC and power along with it, I've opted for the Asus G73JH. It has pretty much the same specs as the G73JW, except the video card being a Mobility 5870, which faired better in benchmarks than the nVidia 460M.

Despite being a bulky, heavy and ugly looking son of a bitch, it's a great laptop. It plays all games I thrown at it in highest settings so far (didn't try Crysis but I don't really care to) quite well, and the temperature has always been a little lukewarm. I'm quite blown away at how well this thing cools, but that's maybe because my previous laptop was a MacBook Pro which would sooner melt your dick off than play an HD movie for 30 minutes without setting your pants on fire.

On NewEgg, they've had a reconditioned G73JH that would occasionally go on sale for about 870 dollars, which is an amazing price for this kind of hardware. Now I can't really find it as it seems to be discontinued for good this time. The 460M version is probably just as good, if slightly slower on frames. I know the G73JH is also being sold in BestBuy with a WiMax modem installed for about 1,200, that might be a decent enough deal.

It's absence might also mean Asus is going to come out with a newer 17 inch powerhouse soon, too.

Thank you for making this post as I'm looking at that exact same laptop unless something else comes out in the next few months. Good to know it performs well and has adequate cooling. The only thing I didn't care for was the touchpad buttons, but I'm taking my MX518 with me.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I don't want to ignite the gaming laptop debate but I'd just like to remind those of you looking for mobile PC gaming that there is a huge and incredible backlog of older PC games and casuals that will run on as little as a Netbook. Obviously I can't tell you how to spend your money but the high watermark of PC gaming was like ten years ago and people are *still* playing those games--Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate II, Jagged Alliance 2, X-COM, Warcraft III, LucasArts adventure games, the list goes on and on. Granted there's plenty of good stuff coming out for modern systems too, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Master_Odin posted:

http://www.amazon.com/PS2-USB-Dual-Controller-Adapter-Converter/dp/B000F6BGXY

I love the PS2 controllers though, and nothing that Madcatz or any other peripheral company makes comes close.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

rj54x posted:

On the controller front, I usually have one of the aforementioned wired 360 controllers, and one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Classic-Controller-PC-USB-Adapter/dp/B003711698
Seriously, even if you don't own a Wii, one of the above (can be had for next to nothing on Ebay) and a Wii Classic Controller is freaking fantastic for all your d-pad gaming - since the 360 D-pad is a pile of steaming horse dookey.. It's especially lovely if you dabble in emulation.

I use one of these for emulation, and while it works if you have Xpadder (which you should already have anyway if you're serious about gaming with a gamepad), do NOT install the included drivers. For some bizarre reason they can cause random crashes on Windows 7.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Updated the OP with more recommendations and a "games releasing this week" section. :)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Woozy posted:

netbooks are pretty neat

Netbooks especially have several things going for them:
- a quality backlog of older PC games that run just dandy, often easier than they did when originally published (or are otherwise completely impossible to get working)
- current, low-spec indie games, both free and for-pay
- emulators! slight bending of ethics required.
- fairly inexpensive, portable
- it's still a computer. A netbook will still do a hell of a lot more than any console, portable, or other gadget on the market.

Admittedly, iPads are incredibly cool and the wave of the future, but are locked down way tighter than a laptop running any other operating system.

If you're debating a standalone PC versus a laptop, and you're not a student crammed into a tiny room with three other dudes, your best bet in my opinion is to buy a decent enough desktop to run the latest game you want, and save up for a netbook later.

I've already seen the chorus against gaming laptops, here's a true story: a friend of mine had to junk his laptop because the video card went belly up and is irreplaceable. He bought a new one for around $750. The video card on my desktop PC broke and it cost me $80 to replace it with something even better. We've each had our systems three years.

Lastly, I bit the bullet this year and got a good wireless keyboard and mouse, and am never using wired again. (Apple keyboard, Logitech MX1100)

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
There's a fantastic Steam Holiday Sale on at the moment. Check out the Steam thread for recommendations or just take a look in the Steam client. There's going to be new games for sale each day as well as some being discounted from now until the 2nd of January.

I just ordered all of the 'new' Tomb Raider games for myself for Christmas only to find that because of the sale I could have had them all for the same price without needing the physical media :(

Methos
Jan 3, 2005
Easy Target
This thread is dying like PC gaming.

jagdtiger00
Jul 21, 2007

This thread may help me out. I built my first PC 3 years ago. I had no knowledge really beforehand on how to most efficiently setup everything such as the BIOS and all that (still don't) and built my current computer (2nd) also for gaming (hardware wise).

Is it really just plug all the stuff in and turn the son of a bitch on? Both computers I've built I did just that and everything seems to be peachy. The only BIOS settings I've ever really tweaked with is raising the voltage to RAM to match what I saw what the RAM drew on Newegg.

As for partitioning, is it beneficial to create a special partition for Windows or just install it in the vast emptiness of a new hard drive along with everything else, because I've been doing the latter for years. I never really understood partitions.

I keep all drivers up to date (mostly).

jagdtiger00 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 23, 2010

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Methos posted:

This thread is dying like PC gaming.

This thread is like Crysis. Even if it's only updated once every four years it's still somehow better than console gaming threads :smuggo:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Is it worth upgrading my monitor from a 1680x1050 panel to something like 1900x1200?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Get a second 1680x1050 and dual-screen 'em.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
1920x1080 monitors are about the same price and the slight vertical difference probably isn't enough to throw somebody off. 1680x1050 22"s aren't really that relevant anymore, even with respect to the specialty IPS panels (Dell offers a 22" 1920x1080 Ultrasharp). Dual monitors are the best though so yeah, definitely do that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

jagdtiger00 posted:

This thread may help me out. I built my first PC 3 years ago. I had no knowledge really beforehand on how to most efficiently setup everything such as the BIOS and all that (still don't) and built my current computer (2nd) also for gaming (hardware wise).

Is it really just plug all the stuff in and turn the son of a bitch on? Both computers I've built I did just that and everything seems to be peachy. The only BIOS settings I've ever really tweaked with is raising the voltage to RAM to match what I saw what the RAM drew on Newegg.

As for partitioning, is it beneficial to create a special partition for Windows or just install it in the vast emptiness of a new hard drive along with everything else, because I've been doing the latter for years. I never really understood partitions.

I keep all drivers up to date (mostly).

It's pretty much as simple as that, yeah. You'll probably only want to mess about with the BIOS if you're trying to overclock or something. You probably didn't even need to make that voltage change you made.

The only reason I can think of these days to have a separate OS partition is for those times where you want to format and reinstall for some reason. If you've got a separate partition you don't lose all your games/data/porn when you flatten and reinstall.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What's a good desktop mic that I can clip onto my headphone cord or my shirt? I got headphones instead of a headset this time so I need a mic.

jagdtiger00
Jul 21, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

The only reason I can think of these days to have a separate OS partition is for those times where you want to format and reinstall for some reason. If you've got a separate partition you don't lose all your games/data/porn when you flatten and reinstall.

Ahh that makes sense. Hell the only reason I flatten and reinstall is to do a fresh start anyway. I like to reformat about once a year, and with high speed internet now my digital purchases of games come right on back quickly anyway.

Frostillicus
Jul 20, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

Recommendation to the op:

Do NOT buy a "Gaming laptop"

I'm going to disagree with you here, but it's partly because of my personal situation. I have a job that requires a lot of travel, and I spend tons of time in hotels during the work week. I bought an Asus G73 gaming laptop almost a year ago, and I get a ton of use out of it. I would definitely prefer to be at home gaming on my desktop which is more powerful and cost less, but I can't take it with me on the road.

As far as overheating issues, I have had some fairly marathon gaming sessions on mine without issue. I also haven't had any weird driver or support issues. The laptop can play any game I've thrown at it at max detail almost a year after I bought it. I can't deny that it was really expensive, but in my case it was definitely worth it.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

spasticColon posted:

What's a good desktop mic that I can clip onto my headphone cord or my shirt? I got headphones instead of a headset this time so I need a mic.
The Zalman clipons are flimsy and staticy and the cord is annoying. Buy the Logitech USB $20 one, change its volume level from 5 to like 80 in Windows, then set it wherever on your desk you have space. It'll pick up your voice without static from anywhere.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
So the annual "microsoft tells us it's good for it bb" has started.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/microsoft-wants-windows-8-to-relaunch-pc-gaming-917416

I wonder what the chances are that GFWL will be integrated into win 8 like IE was into Win 98.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Frostillicus posted:

I'm going to disagree with you here, but it's partly because of my personal situation. I have a job that requires a lot of travel, and I spend tons of time in hotels during the work week. I bought an Asus G73 gaming laptop almost a year ago, and I get a ton of use out of it. I would definitely prefer to be at home gaming on my desktop which is more powerful and cost less, but I can't take it with me on the road.

As far as overheating issues, I have had some fairly marathon gaming sessions on mine without issue. I also haven't had any weird driver or support issues. The laptop can play any game I've thrown at it at max detail almost a year after I bought it. I can't deny that it was really expensive, but in my case it was definitely worth it.

We discussed this at length already. There's some very few individuals who it works for, I'm even one of them, I didn't literally mean it to be all encompassing. Just if you have desk space and you're at home for the most part, don't buy one, it's not worth it.

• Locked thread