Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Times posted:

Some quick questions about wired xbox 360 controllers on pc - Do all of them come with a USB cable (a split cable) or do I need to specifically buy a particular 'for windows' version of it? (Or is the link on the 360 just a USB cable to begin with?)

Ideally I want to get one that looks pretty cool - I want to know if I need a special adapter for it.

On that note if there's a particular version of the wired controller someone could recommend as the best (aesthetically or whatever) I'm all ears.

Wired controllers work out of the box whether labelled as the For Windows version or not, but all Wireless ones need a special wireless adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've used friends' gaming mouses before, but never really noticed a big difference between them and my $5 3-button Logitech besides number of buttons and being marginally more comfortable. Is a slightly higher DPI really ever gonna make a difference in anything but fine skill contests besides absurdly talented players?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Okonner posted:

Getting used to a high dpi setting is easier than it sounds, and although it's not gonna make most players way better at fine aiming, the ability to quickly spin around is really helpful in a lot of fps'. In Team Fortress 2, for instance, it's real quick for me to whip around and check for spies while I'm going somewhere. Not that I ever do it when it would help. The adjustable dpi is pretty handy too when you need to aim more carefully, like sniping.

Eh, I don't normally play any online games at anything above an occasional level, so maybe thats why I don't notice the difference.

Node posted:

Logitech has the best customer service in the hardware industry by far. Every time I've had a product of theirs break or not working optimally, they send me a new one for free.

You've had Logitech stuff break? I never have, that's why I love them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Master_Odin posted:

As much as I dislike the pattern, it's a quality mouse and I'm happy with my purchase of it so far.

What's people's recommendation for USB based controllers for a solid D-Pad. I've got a 360 controller that I love using for any game that accepts it, but I'd rather play old emulated games for the SNES/NES as well as platformers with an actual D-Pad and not the control sticks on the pad as its D-Pad doesn't really cut it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034ZOAO0/ref=oss_product

I use this and it owns so hard.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Taffer posted:

Same story for me. Normally an nVidia guy, but when the 4850 came out I thought I'd try ATi again (after a previous TERRIBLE driver experience with the X1300... don't remind me). It was complete hell from the moment I put it in. OpenGL barely ran, every game I tried got about 2/3 of the performance as the 8800 I was replacing, Linux drivers were completely broken, they wouldn't even start without crashing despite hours of tweaking.

So I returned it, got a 9800GTX+ for the same price, and have never had driver problems and have easily double the performance. Sure, ATi may have great hardware, but that doesn't mean anything when their drivers fail on every level.

I run a 4850 and I can max out basically every game I own on it at 1080p with 30+ FPS with the exception of Crysis Warhead and Metro 2033, and it never has given me any issues in Linux, including running games through Wine. Maybe you got a bum card hardware-wise?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Hell, even on my EeePC 1000HA, Windows 7 boots and runs faster than XP, even with Aero on. 7 is just EXTREMELY solid.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Avocadoes posted:

Would I notice a difference in FPS greatly if I upgraded from a 19 in. normal screen [1280x1024] to a 21 inch screen, and change the resolution to whatever the 21 in. native res is?

Also, is it too hard to find a 21 in. normal screen? I pretty much hate widescreens because they look like utter crap on smaller displays. Not sure if thats the case with a 21 in. screen...

Oh, specs for refrence:
i7 930 proc
Ati Radeon HD5870
6GB RAM
ASUS X58 mobo
WD Black HDD

Currently, I can throw about any game at it, and it will play it on max with great FPS. Just wondering if i'll have to sacrifice with a bigger screen. [19 inches is large enough for me in gaming, but a little small for the other things I do on it.]

Widescreen is preferable for 21". The only reason widescreen would look like poo poo is if the app is stretching to do widescreen, in which case you can set your res to a 4:3 one and set your GPU to keep aspect ratio. Also, the power needed for Resolution X will be the same no matter the screen size. If you get 73 FPS at 800x600, for instance, on a 16" screen, you'll get 73FPS at 800x600 on a 50" screen. So it all depends on the native res of your new monitor. I recently switched from a 1280x1024 5:4(It was $20 from a friend) to a 1920x1080 native res widescreen and while I got lower FPS on GTA IV and Crysis, not much else dropped for me and I'm on an Athlon II x4 and a 4850, so mine's a bit weaker than yours.

EDIT: And adding my own question, why did ATi change it so you can only do fixed aspect ratios over a digital connection now? I normally play my old games that need widescreen correction on my netbook, but I just installed Beyond Good and Evil on my desktop with a widescreen hooked up through VGA and it won't let me set that setting because of it. :\

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 2, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chortles posted:

I was thinking of an AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb (9xx)... L3 cache unlike the Propus models (the 6xx's), though the cost is more like $120 (920 Socket AM2+) -186 (Black Edition 970 Socket AM3). Mindja I want a processor for gaming while I have a poo poo ton of browser tabs/windows open...

What IS the AMD equivalent of Core i5-i7 anyway? Socket compatibilities have been why I've stuck with AMD...

Currently using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane (Socket AM2) on a Socket AM2/AM2+/"AM3 Ready" motherboard. (My computer thinks it's a 5050e, and Core Temp thinks it's a 5050B... that's nonexistent... unless I've been looking at the wrong box this whole time.) Stock heatsink and fan btw.

P.S. Are there Socket AM3 boards that are NOT AM2/AM2+ backwards compatible?

I play Crysis maxed at 1080p maxed with Chrome open in the background with normally about 6-7 tabs on an Athlon II X4 620(no L3 cache, sadly bought after they finally took it off completely instead of just locking it). I get closer to 30-45 FPS than 45-60, so if you're a MUST BE OVER 60 AAAARGH kinda gamer, your idea is better, but you can even go a little lower if you're fine with sub 60 frame rates.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So I bought myself a Logitech Cordless Desktop LX310 Laser wireless mouse + keyboard combo since I was getting tired of my mouse and keyboard getting tangled in with my DVD drive and my 360 controller's USB cords. It's really nice, especially since it's one receiver for both objects. The main thing I like is that Mouse 3 and Mouse 4 are on top of Mouse 0 and Mouse 1, meaning I can use the same fingers as I use to left and right click to hit them. The keyboard also allows you to toggle the F keys between normal F keys and programmable macro keys with the hit of a button. It's not a serious gaming setup, but it's a great midway point between a general use setup and a gaming one, especially considering the $45 pricetag I picked it up for.

EDIT: Oh, and the mouse wheel tilts for horizontal scrolling. It's totally bitchin'.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 3, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Just picked up the Gamestop Brand of Xbox 360 controller since Microsoft apparently doesn't make em directly anymore. Should I expect it to be as good?

What? Why the gently caress would Microsoft stop making 360 controllers? You know any wired 360 controller works out of the box, regardless of whether it's labelled "For Windows" or not, right?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I personally use Powercolor. My parents desktop has a Powercolor Radeon 9600 Pro that survived them accidentally catching the computer's power supply on fire(don't ask) and is still running strong about 6 and a half years into its life.

I just picked up The Saboteur and the latest patch needs you to disable Core 2 and 3 for its process through the Task Manager on quad-core CPUs, or else the streaming loading process messes up. However Windows 7 doesn't seem to save the core affinities after the process ends, meaning I have to reset it every time. Any way to make the affinities permanent? And yes, I am doing it for the game .exe and not the launcher .exe.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

..btt posted:

ImageCFG, which I believe is also available in the Windows Server resource kit, will update the PE header of the executable to set affinity on every run.

The copy protection notices that the .exe has been modified and refuses to launch the game if I do that. :\ Thanks anyways though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

..btt posted:

It checksums the non-executable part of the exe? Useful. I think there are a few utilities that set the affinity on execution - try googling "RunFirst", though that may not work either if you have to use a launcher.

Looks like RunFirst only does one core. I think I'll just Alt-Tab(No windowed mode, so I can't just do that) instead of take the performance hit. This is a fun game, but dear god is the engine a total piece of utter poo poo.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Devil Wears Wings posted:

So this was released in Germany only on PC and 360 in '09, in the UK only on PS3 in '10, and will be released in the US on all 3 next week? That's kinda weird. The plot sounds like it'll be terrible if played straight, but awesome if done up all B-movie style, anyone know which they went with?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I've never even heard of that Metro 2033 game, just checked out some videos for it, how the gently caress have I never heard of this it looks awesome. I get a huge STALKER feel from it which is a game I love terribly.

A lot of people who worked on STALKER, but split from GSC, worked on it, IIRC. It's much more linear than STALKER, which isn't a bad thing, it's still just as good, but it'll sour you if you go in expecting something more open ended.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The new King's Bounty games are must have, they're a revival of the game that inspired HoMM. The demos kinda suck, but don't let that put you off.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

So FF13 with guns? :hurr: but seriously at 30 dollars for the PC version I think I'll take a chance, well, as long as it doesn't have any steam poo poo or online activation like Bioshock did where you had to download the mandatory patch before being able to play. I'm on dial up you see.

Edit: goddamnit.

Where the hell are you where you only have 56k? My parents have had cable internet for years and my hometown is 7k people. I know plenty of people from even smaller towns with it too. If it's because of cost, gaming is not the hobby for you then.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chortles posted:

In my case, it's more of "DSL is all my family can afford right now (and unfortunately for the forseeable future :( )."

DSL is meh, but it's no 56k. I used to have cable that capped at ~128 KB/s. That sounds bad, but when you realize 56k almost never downloads at 56 KB/s and normally downloads closer to 30 KB/s, imagine your downloads taking four times as long if you're lucky, and having to stop if you want phone calls unless you have two phone lines.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chortles posted:

A Fancy 400 lbs, I still remember the days when my sister would pick up the handset whenever she felt I was hogging the (then only) desktop computer...

Only concern I'd have re: the AMD quad-cores is whether or not they have a L3 cache (the 6xx series called Propus doesn't, the 9xx series called Deneb does), but otherwise I defer to SH/SC on further upgrade advice.

I have a Propus, the lack of L3 cache isn't that big of a deal. It has a fairly large L2 so there's not much real performance difference outside of CPU benchmark numbers.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chortles posted:

Note that not every game supports windowing "properly," i.e. a fixed aspect ratio/resolution (i.e. POTBS seemingly having only one windowed resolution: 1024 x 768), having to twiddle around with the game to get it to support windowed mode, or the game not properly resizing/shifting HUD elements to scale when in windowed mode, usually by toggling the full screen option off.

This is annoyingly all too true. The Saboteur doesn't have windowed mode. Period. As much as I love the game, it and Mercenaries 2 prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Pandemic had no loving clue how to code a PC engine, and they weren't even the worst offenders.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chortles posted:

Cross-posted from the ARMA 2 thread:

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead for $11.90 for the next just-under-38 hours (2 am January 28th?) in a claimed "once gone, they're gone" 48 Hour Madness sale .

w00t. I <3 48 Hour Madness Sales. Just got EndWar, Death to Spies and Fallout Collection.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Chortles posted:

I will agree though that PC games besides CoD seem reliant on discount sales, though I believe that Steam's reputation (for having discounts) helps make those sales more likely to ever actually happen. Whenever I see a discount sale on ARMA 2 and/or Operation Arrowhead, I rush on over to the ARMA 2 thread to post it, and cross-posted it here since there were other games in the sale -- and lo and behold, from our own thread two pages ago:
Not even related to ARMA 2 at all except for being in the sale, and yet that's all it took.

I bought Fallout New Vegas, F1 2010, Civ V, Amnesia, Recettear, Rush, MX vs ATV Reflex, Bejeweled 3, Dead Rising 2 and Mafia 2 at full price or only minor discounts(10% off or less preorder stuff) last year, off the top of my head. While I appreciate sales, I still buy games at regular price too.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lord Master posted:

What does it mean? :psyduck:

It means "hardcore" gamers are gullible as gently caress.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Exactly. My quad core AMD CPU that was $100 a year ago runs anything I throw at it just fine including notoriously CPU heavy games like GTA4. That's like saying my old Turion64 laptop sucked hardcore at running Crysis since it was an AMD, and not because it was a single core on a game designed for much beefier hardware. Hell, that Turion64 plus a Mobility X1600 ran multiple games that it was below the minimum specs for. AMD is a great bang for your buck.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ijii posted:

I don't see The Old Republic on that list :mad:

Because MMORPGs are almost universally terrible?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

So does this mean that wireless keyboards and mice still suck for gaming? I want to try hooking up my desktop to my TV and just playing PC games that way since I really hated trying to play at my uncomfy desk (also, 40" LED TV > monitor). A wired keyboard and mouse isn't out of the question but wireless would be a bit more convenient.

They're fine now. I don't have any issues with mine. Just don't cheap out on them.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Finally getting around to the copy of Death to Spies: Moment of Truth I got from a GoGamer 48-Hour Madness. Do the colors look WAY off to anyone else, and if so, any idea whats going on?

EDIT: Link if you don't have SALR w/ the timg fix

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

CHARONS BOAT RIDER posted:

Yeah that's severely messed up.

Ok, wasn't sure if it was just a lovely attempt at a cinematic filter or it really being messed up. Now that I know it's weird, time to find a fix.

EDIT: It was Depth of Field messing poo poo up. :ms:

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 19, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

SpartanIV posted:

The fact that they listed Battlefield 2 but NOT Battlefield 1942 or 2142 completely invalidates this to me.

Not the fact they put Starcraft 2 instead of Starcraft? Though I totally agree with Warcraft 2 instead of Warcraft 3. I know most people like 3 more, but heroes suck. If 4 was just 3 without heroes, I'd rank it higher than 2, but they honestly ruined it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Manac0r posted:

you know i respect Ea for getting the hype train running, but is it worth buying BF2:BC:vietnam or should i hold out for three???

It's Battlefield: Bad Company 2, not Battlefield 2: Bad Company. Bad Company is a spinoff of the main series that's more focused on small scale combat. It's really good, but plays way differently from traditional Battlefield.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Manac0r posted:

I stand corrected, is it the online co operative shooter i pray it should be?

E: by co op I mean do people work as a team online, with class and roles well defined. Good communication, etc.

How well people play together depends on the server, but in theory, yes they do. The only slightly annoying thing is the unlock system, but once you start unlocking stuff it gets a lot better.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm running an AMD Athlon II x4, a 1GB 4580 and 4 GB RAM. I've never seen anything go below 30 FPS maxed at 1080p besides Metro or games that are horribly unoptimized/have driver issues. That was $700 or so IIRC from scratch with a new monitor a year ago. You could probably build something that smokes it for the same now. Don't go Intel unless you're the type that cares about getting 60 FPS instead of only 55 and you don't care how much it costs to do it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Tufty posted:

Did you play the demo?

So am I not the only one who found it frustratingly terrible? It was a 33/33/33 chance whether right clicking on a enemy would attack it, move me behind it or just kinda tilt the camera. What a loving clusterfuck that control scheme is.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Amrosorma posted:

I love reading a recommendation for a game and then going to get it on Steam only to find I've had it in my library for months :iia:

It was part of one of the Humble Indie Bundles, you probably got it from that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

What's divinity 2 like?

Divinity 2 is like that really awesome D&D campaign you did with all your friends while you were drunk, but with an action RPG control scheme.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Blackula69 posted:

Can you expand on this? Is it awesome like funny awesome, badass awesome, what? Can you compare it to another RPG?

A bit of both really. The writing is really snappy, and you get to do awesome things like read minds and turn into a loving dragon.

Off the Divinity 2 topic, I just rebooted my computer and my BIOS switched the boot priority of my hard drives around for no reason. Anyone have any idea what could cause that?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

kri kri posted:

So ubisoft launcher servers are down, can't run AC2 even in offline mode. DRM owns.

Yup. I find it hilarious that it happened right when people are going to be replaying AC2 to get ready for Brotherhood. Way to piss people off with your DRM right before your big new game comes out. Have they confirmed whether Brotherhood will be using UbiDRM or not?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, lets be honest, Dreamcast was more terrible than any modern console for FPSs, and I'm saying this as someone who still owns one.

On an upside of UbiDRM, I was able to torrent copies of Splinter Cell Conviction and Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands, and since the keys were tied to my account from when I legit bought them, I was able to install and play them no issue even though they weren't my original Ubisoft Store digital downloads that I accidentally lost in a reformat. Combine that aspect with the one time activation Brotherhood is gonna have and it seems like it'll actually be pretty good DRM instead of mindfuckingly terrible. UbiSoft is learning.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Doesn't that game use Ubisoft's awful DRM?

It has a one time activation, nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Tufty posted:

This week's Weekend Impulse Buys:

I'm tempted by Evochron and the Drakensang prequel. Divinity II & Sacred 2 (which is fun) would be a good deal if the copy of Div2 were the dragon knight saga version, but as far as I can tell it's not.

Edit: There's also a daily deal on Impulse and today's is Space Rangers 2 + the expansion. SR2 is a FANTASTIC game. If you haven't played it you goddamn should. The bundle is £7 ($11).

Is Sacred 2 worth it for $12 on it's own? I really enjoyed Sacred 1.

• Locked thread