Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Excellent OP. Good list of recommendations, you can always add more as people see fit :)

viva la pc

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I had a G9 but it was way too wide. Made my wrist hurt. Sold it and bought a Mamba which perfect till I got the Razer Vespula mousepad which made my wrist hurt again. Then I bought an X8 but I don't like it that much, battery life is great compared to the Mamba.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Except during heavy action (smoke, explosions, many PC/NPCs etc.) where your frames can drop drastically, so having a buffer is always good.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone recommend any decent, recent Sci-Fi RPGs that aren't Mass Effect, KOTOR, EVE and Greed. I've just come to the realisation that hack n' slash doesn't do it for anymore, leaving me to languish at my wasted purchases of Gothic II/III, Morrowind and Oblivion (never finished any of them).

e; not too old please.
e2; Add Dawn of War to the played list.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Have you tried updating your audio drivers? Usually that fixes any audio problems I might have for games released in the past few years.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas are the obvious choices here. You might also be interested in Alien Swarm, a top-down (and FREE) multiplayer co-op alien-shootin' action-RPG. Did I mention it's completely free?

Already been through Alien Swarm with my friends. I've had some difficulty going through F3 because of the clunkiness gamebyro, but I've been planning to give it another shot later. I'm waiting for a proper sale on New Vegas before I buy it :)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Wait for the GTX 560. It's a refresh of the 460 on the newer core which means much better performace. It'll probably be better than the 6870 and close to the 6950 in performance. If you can spend a little more get the GTX 570. GTX 480 performance (and better!) on a cooler platform.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
If I was going for a card for my 3 monitor setup I'd still get the 6950, flash it and not have to give a poo poo about crossfire/sli. Only thing is I doubt I'd see much of a performance boost from my 4850x2 (the sapphire special ed with 4xdvi) for single screen games. With my recent CPU upgrade to an i7 930 I'm not facing any performance problems as well... But three screens are so dreamy :allears:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

..btt posted:

Since the PC actually started seeing commercial game releases, when the usual suspects are pushing the latest consoles that are about to come out, everyone says PC gaming is dying, there are a lot of console exclusives, etc. A year or two down the line, the best of those exclusives have mostly come to PC and the average hardware is once again far, far more powerful than the outdated consoles and the market picks up again.

This iteration I think it's been further exaggerated due to Steam and other digital download services pretty much exploding in user-base; but no doubt when the next lot of consoles are being hyped, PC gaming will once again be "dying" vv
The only difference being this console cycle is going to go on till 2013-2014. Let's hope the next consoles are actually good hardware wise and allow for better pc ports. MS better come through with their support of the platform and Windows 8.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Seriously after just getting back into PC gaming recently it is literally click thing on Steam > leave it overnight > Play.

I still don't like how the EA games make me sign into another layer past Steam though. Do they do the same thing on consoles even though there's already the Sony/MS stuff set up?

Yeah you still have to sign into your EA account if you play online on the 360/PS3.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
RFactor is a good sim as well. There's one more, but I can't remember the name right now.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I've tried it (there's a thread for the game). It's pretty fun, but a bit hard sometimes if you don't make use of the powerups. It looks good and the voice acting is British and quite well done.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Ravenger posted:

Very true. Of course you have to be careful not to damage the pins in the socket instead, and the crunching sound you get when you push the lever down to lock the CPU is very scary too. So it is sort of scary :)

I've swapped 4 CPUs in my PC over the past two years, and I still get scared putting that lever down.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Real pc gamers use anti-static wristbands.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

ViolentQuiche posted:

Did you like the style of the earlier G5/7s? If so, then it might take some getting used to. I have long fingers and the old MX518/G5/G7 style was extremely comfortable for me. I got the G9 as a gift and it took some getting used to, mostly because it wasn't as easy to rest the back of my hand on the mouse.
I've had all these mice and I have now ended up using the logitech g500. The shape is identical to the mx518/g5 and it feels great. Higher dpi as well. Not replacing this for a looooong time.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Hey guys I made a little mod for Atom Zombie Smasher. It's called Extended Gameplay RebalanceRebalanced (it didn't count the : I put in). If anyone has the game, you can grab it from the in-game mod list. It's automatically sorted by date, so it should be on top. This is the first time I've modded any kind of software and distributed it, so I'd like some feedback if isn't too much of a hassle :).

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I had the same mousepad and I hated it. The bump proved to be more uncomfortable than comfortable, sold it and got a Ripperpad XXL.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Cross-posting this Fear 3 video Why? Just cause :colbert:

Short video I just made. Sorry for the quality, still learning the newfangled encoding program.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TaLBKZ3oZo

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Awia posted:

Selling a mouse mat, show a picture of a printer.

I think they were trying to show the size of the pad more than anything. If you're going to buy that, spend a little more and get the Ripperpad XXL. So big, so soft and so easy to clean. I just dunk it in a bucket of water for 5-10 minutes, then dry it near my heater and then it's back on my table. Best deskpad I've ever owned.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah you've bought the game already. Don't see any issue (I did it with bulletstorm).

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
DNF is already on sale :drat::laugh:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Prorat posted:

That doesn't look like the Hyper 212+ I just bought...

That's because it's some Zalman cooler.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
ASUS has that block with all their motherboards, not just the high-end ones. I've saved all the one I have from previous purchases :3:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Srebrenica Surprise posted:

The $100 M5A97 (which I consider midrange for an AMD board) doesn't come with one.

Really? My old P5E had them, along with a few my friends bought... weird. It costs next to nothing and they should just put it in.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
You can't use tap water for water cooling, sorry :(.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I can't hear the fans on the my Corsair H50. My case is practically silent outside of the whooshing air from my gigantic HAF fans (:pcgaming:).

Also watercooling/LN2 cooling is needed for high OC's (the Corsair H series doesn't count - they're only as good as high end air coolers). You can get to a certain point with air cooling, but to increase the voltage further, for higher clockspeeds, you need better cooling. LN2 is not used outside of benchmarking/record breaking. Sandybridge has made OC'ing easier with people hitting 4-5Ghz easily, but the same voltage rule applies here too.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Well it's slow, that's the only "bad" thing.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
SALR allows you to search inside threads, what are you doing not using it :commissar:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The trailer looked very Max Payne-y, down to the deadpan gravely voice, so I now have high hopes for it.

He's so fat though :hampants:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Well as long as they don't make Max a weepy bitch who doesn't like killing people any more (but still murders thousands), I think it'll be fine.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

movax posted:

There's a Bollywood clone of that movie starring Amitabh Bachchan that is even more over-the-top that the original one, it's pretty awesome.

Even more hilarious is picking up what American movie it was a clone of like 45 seconds into the credits.

Related to thread: Anyone have a Belkin n52? I got one ages ago when it was super cheap after rebate, I never use it though. Just too lazy to switch away from my real keyboard.

I knew what they were ripping off the moment I saw the first trailer :colbert:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It's not that great. Co-op/horde mode was pretty fun though.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 20, 2011

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The cover/suppression system was really good. But that's about it really.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Blackula69 posted:

I guess we're not getting release updates in this thread anymore, too bad. The Diablo 3 beta is out

Isn't it in cbt right now?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
A google search shows me why it may be... disturbing... but in gaming circles I've seen it been used all the time. Either ways I'll keep it in mind for next time.

e; But hey waiting for a beta invite is like CBT :downs:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I was like hey, this isn't so bad. And then the second last result :psyboom:.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
The ION gpus are nice, but still weak. If there are any with Llano APUs you should get that. The IGP beats every other IGP out there (Intel and Nvidia), plus all of them have some sort of hybrid crossfire thingy.

Dodoman fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 8, 2011

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It's intended for use in a dark environment as far as I'm aware. If your lights are on at night, I doubt you'll be really straining your eyes (that much).

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Male Man posted:

You're supposed to tune it to your lights. The box your lights come in might have a temperature equivalent printed on them. Just set your nighttime value to that temperature (or a tad higher).
Hmm I never thought about that. I guess I'm just a typical sit in the dark nerd.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Save-scumming still occurs in roguelikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I grew up with a dualshock, but I've been in love with my 360 controller since I held it. In fact I still have the first one I got with my first Xbox 360, though the analog sticks are broken in multiple places :(.

• Locked thread