Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jvempire
May 10, 2009
What are the pros and cons of upgrading my OS from XP to Windows 7? From my googling it appears that for modern games built with dx10/11 my performance should go up, while with dx9 it should be the same. Though it will restrict me from very old games.

Just wanted to know how other people felt with XP vs Windows 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Thanks for the help guys. Considering most of my games are on Steam, and pictures/documents are fairly small so they are easily backup-able, I shouldn't have a problem with a clean install.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
What is a good and comfortable mouse? Preferably a wireless one, but if it's wired I can deal with it.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

404notfound posted:

Also, we have a mouse thread if you're looking for recommendations: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963
Ah, I was looking for that thread but couldn't find it. Thanks.

jvempire
May 10, 2009
Yup it works, thanks!

Hidohebhi posted:

So I'd like to suck less at FPSs, any tips? Games I should try?

I'm mostly decent (read: playing on normal) at stuff like the Mass Effect series but I know that's not a "real" FPS.
I recommend TF2. The wide range of classes/weapons will get you acquainted with all the different skills of an FPS (headshots to nade bouncing), and plus it's free. The only downside is that the player movement in the game is kind of slow, but you should be fine if you're just a beginner.

• Locked thread