Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Who looks at their keyboard anyways? It honestly shouldn't matter if it has keys printed on it or not.

I have a mechanical keyboard, it feels great and it's loud as hell. Other keyboards feel mushy and cheap. I game with headphones so the loudness doesn't affect me really. The "tactical feel" is about the only reason to buy them, and to me it makes typing long papers or programming, dare I say, a bit more fun. You can buy some cheap(er) ones on ebay built with the same keys as the higher-end models.
There's probably some smug assholes that "Only use Mechanical"; but to me I don't really like a bunch of media buttons or volume control on my keyboard, so I don't mind spending a bit more for something that I like to type on.

Here's my general philosophy for gaming rigs: Buy second/third tier parts only.
First tier parts are about 50% more expensive for only 5-10% of the gains.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Have you tried switching the USB outlet around? My headphones make weird noises when I scroll the mouse, so I think sometimes there's some feedback between USB outlets. Switching my headphones to the front outlets made it go away completely.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

From my experience, if you have a spare PCI-Express port on your motherboard you should be able to do pop one in easily.
Keep in mind:
You need enough powersupply outlets and output to support it, a lot of cards now adays need some kind of connector to them from the powersupply. Usually a standard "molex" connector.

You need to be able to change the way your old card (probably integrated) is handled. You can usually turn it off in the BIOS and your new card should now work.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

poo poo, I can't even stomach the memories of installing Lemmings with a dozen floppies, god forbid one of them happened to get corrupted. Would hate to see what 70 floppies felt like.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Did you really have to type out all those brand names?

This post brought to you by Coke-Cola

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Tenik posted:

Recettear is a fantastic goon-translated RPG about running an item shop. A lot of people are initially put off by it's art style, but its not as bad as everyone says. There is a demo out on steam if you want to give it a shot.

Play the demo first because it actually is as bad as other people say.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Honestly if the dungeon controls weren't complete poo poo I could probably get over the ~anime~ of it; but that didn't happen. (No offense to the goon translator)

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Amrosorma posted:

Speaking of which, if you guys want something that actually makes your MP3s sound significantly better (at least for most people's ears), check this out:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/media/ozone.html

I'm not usually a fan of equalizer effects in my music (since my signal chain is set up for recordings being as neutral as possible for music production), but this actually makes music sound better to these ears.

Best part is that it works with Foobar 2000!

Why do audio-fuckery programs and motherboard apps all have the cheesiest UI's imaginable?

Has anyone seen some of the apps Gigabyte puts out?

One of the apps they have for my motherboard is shaped like a loving monster truck.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Amrosorma posted:

I don't think it's that bad :ohdear:

Haha, Gigabyte has the worst apps.

I was thinking more of the "E-Mu" one you have on there. Like who are these wacky knobs and buttons appealing to? Not to mention the handful of fonts they just threw all over the texts. Not meaning to offend you or anything

darkhand fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 30, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

That's a pretty bold statement.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

^^ I have a soundblaster Arena headset; It's probably not anywhere near STUDIO QUALITY but my desk is huge and my room is noisy, making a deskmic annoying, useless and noisy. The mic on the arena headset is really nice and it sounds a lot better than any lovely consumer-grade pc-speakers I could have got. PC gaming is largely about compromise, and getting a "gaming headset" to me was a decent compromise to make.

Blackula69 posted:

In unrelated news, I like that New Vegas still has huge bugs in a bunch of quests but they're releasing lots of DLC. Is there a company with a worse quality of games/bugs ratio than Obsidian? Every game they (and their team) has ever made has had serious problems, stretching back to Troika and Black Isle

I don't think BFBC2 has been updated for like a year. Dice seems to have some pretty bad problems with this.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 5, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Oops yeah forgot about that, but there's still a bunch of bugs that are just plain overlooked.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Taffer posted:

...What? I didn't even talk about 'gaming headsets' in my post, I was talking purely about surround sound. Generally I would say yes, you're often paying more than you should for stuff labeled for 'gaming' but it's not what I was talking about at all.

I was just adding my opinion. Everyone in this thread needs to cool their jets.

New page, new 'tudes.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

He'll lose net-cred if he ends up using the wrong setup though!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Pretty obvious gamers don't have any idea what they want.

"a bloo bloo bloo space marine games are so cliche"
a year later "Wow this Mass Effect game owns!"

"a bloobloobloo Zombies"
a year later "Wow L4D is a pretty good game, so is L4D2 and Dead Rising"

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's really all the mediocre flack that rides on the coattails of the good games that make you really sick and tired of zombies or space marines. A great game will always be great regardless if it takes place in WWII, has zombies, or stars a space marine. But because there's a billion lovely zombie games or zombie mods for non-zombie games, I just now instinctually roll my eyes whenever I hear of a new one, and it has to be really good for me to give a poo poo. It's a tired gimmick, but if somebody does manage to do something good with it, I'll still care.

Isn't that how consumerism works though? Maybe you just don't like bad games.

Apple goes and makes the iPad and 5 other companies start making lovely knock offs. Eventually one of those 6 companies bucks the trend and the rest copy it all over again.

Me personally I don't mind zombie games unless they are Bad Games, but then it's just a bad game not a bad theme or genre.

Not trying to single you out or anything, but universally some game comes out and someone goes "man I really wish this <input something> trend would die off." Well I'm certainly glad space games didn't die off at Asteroids or Galaga.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 17, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

That's the thing I hate about hobby forums. You'll get some elitist dudes that try to invalidate what other people use to justify their spending habits. It really takes away from all the valid responses in thoughtful advice. It happens almost all over and it makes it hard to wade through all the bullshit to get actual advice.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Pear2Pear networking.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Manac0r posted:

I stand corrected, is it the online co operative shooter i pray it should be?

E: by co op I mean do people work as a team online, with class and roles well defined. Good communication, etc.

Come play L4D2, you can get it cheap, the goon community is still kicking. One of the best co-op experiences on the PC right now. There's not really "classes" or "roles", but in Versus you can shoot zombies as a survivor or be Infected and try to tackle the survivors.

It might not be be everyone's cup of tea, but I have BF:BC2&Vietnam and I've put over 400hours more into L4D2.

Oh and communication is a must. Hardly anyone uses voice chat in BC2, but in l4d2 most games will have at least 3/4 people talking with mics.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 6, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

A bit of both really. The writing is really snappy, and you get to do awesome things like read minds and turn into a loving dragon.

Off the Divinity 2 topic, I just rebooted my computer and my BIOS switched the boot priority of my hard drives around for no reason. Anyone have any idea what could cause that?

Did you boot up with a USB flashdrive attached? The only other thing I can think of is the Windows7 service pack was released this week. I don't know if you have Windows7 or installed the SP but sometimes Windows futzes around with the MBR.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Tufty posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Here's the cover:

and here's a lovely screenshot:

Ban for Anima

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

kiph posted:

Good news. Microsoft has heard your pleas and is listening. Here is their "vision" of the future of PC gaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPYdgy35KA&feature=player_embedded#at=113

The future of PC gaming is looking brighter than ever with Microsoft leading the way.

Wanna bejewel dat milf

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

nickhimself posted:

They admitted that GFWL did not turn out the way they had hoped. Not directly, but in a roundabout segue kind of way
It's pretty easy for them to say stuff like that in hindsight though, it's a cop-out attention-garnering statement.

Look at Steam, regardless of how awful people were calling it in the begining; after some bug-ironing it's been basically the same platform this whole time.

Then look at GFWL; gaudy, intermittently broken, unintuitive, and obstrusive. The UI is laggy and flashy and every-little-thing is a special-snowflake-custom-widget. It tries to do too much stuff and at the same time is completely useless. It really shows lack of planning or that they just "don't get it."

darkhand fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 19, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Brace posted:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2882

I got all my components and OS installed and set up by a local shop into this case. It's a nice case, got a ton of fans and looks decent, but I have one issue. The dials at the top don't do anything, the fan speed dial doesn't work, and I have no idea what I'd be doing with the cables that hook into the mobo, anyone have this case and know if it's just as easy as plugging a cable into a port on the mobo or what?

Most case Front-bits are usually pretty standardized. If you have the motherboard manual it will show you how to plug the wires in. Failing that, there there should be some jumper plugs at the bottom of the motherboard like this

And you can google for "front-panel case install" or something similar.

Page 14 of this http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/upload/download/142/files/Manual_Sniper_NOV-25-2008_En.pdf shows you how to setup the CPU-Fan dial. But, honestly if your motherboard is new enough, it will speed up or slow down the fan automatically.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Maxwell Adams posted:

They make this stuff work well because they want to draw in customers.
Exactly, it's like GFWL is vehemently trying not to do that.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 19, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Cheezymadman posted:

How else would you aim?

Why let all those arrow keys on your keyboard goto waste?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

iuvian posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBPYdgy35KA&feature=player_embedded

Don't worry guys, Microsoft has the future of PC gaming covered! As long as that future includes casual shovelware and 3 year old 360 ports. If you want some real games you're going to have to buy them on the 360, sorry!

edit: old video but it still made me cringe

3700 dislikes

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Did anyone play Everquest2? The combat was pretty similar to WoW except you had like 40 buttons to mash and skills automatically queued if there was a spell casting. It was pretty cool.

With that said, it started getting ridiculous after SOE decided to not even try to balance around PVP. Remember when Blizzard redid all the crit% calculations before TBC? Yeah, EQ2 didn't do that, so you had assassins (like Rogues) with enormous amounts of crit% and A Thing called Double-Attacks. Then you had ridiculous weapons like this http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/Fang_of_Ichor_%28Mythical%29

Imagine instead of getting stunlocked by a rogue while he backstabs you; they unstealth and cast 30 instantcast spells on you, while autoattacking you with crits and doubleattacks. (Oh and if you run they have a bow attack called Head Shot that does a shitload of damage from behind).

Especially the class I played had like 2-3 second cast times so you're dead before you can even cast your shield.

Some of the coolest/weirdest things about that game are the items. As you can see the proc system is really detailed, a lot of weapons tooltips had scrollbars because the skills and attributes attached to it were so long they didn't fit on the screen.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 23, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Tufty posted:

What's with the sudden influx of people saying The Things like "A Thing", "A Bad Thing", "Thing to Do"? I've seen it a few times in this thread and even more elsewhere on the forums. It looks dumb and makes you look dumb, why do people do That Thing?
Goodluck with your aspergers.

But really, I use it because it is a thing, but it's a thing that is important. A Big Thing. I didn't think it was from anything except other people on these forums.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

There's a few softwares out there, but yeah they are shady and they do a lot of hacky stuff to work around driver signing. I tried a few and couldn't get either USB or bluetooth to recognize it, so I have a 360 controller now.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's hard to explain but the idea is to hyperbolicaly refer to your opinion as an objective truth, so you give it a title as a joke. There's not a lot more to it.

This isn't true anymore, Motion in Joy finally got their poo poo signed:
http://www.motioninjoy.com/
I use it all the time, it even has a setting to trick windows into think it's an XBox controller, with all the buttons automatically assigned to their equivalant locations on a sixaxis/dualshock, which makes it great for GFWL games.

I tried that when supermeatboy came out (in Nov/Dec?) and it didn't work, I dunno what I did wrong if anything. I had forgotten the name of it, so I'll see if I can get it working, though, thanks!

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

The problem with OpenGL is that the code base is old as poo poo, and a lot of deprecated API just sticks around. So you get guys that have programmed OpenGL for years and they keep using the same methods of API interaction. Or they have a multi-franchise engine that still uses old methods that can't easily be converted.

So even if ATI supports the newest OpenGL, you still can't be sure if those old hooks and methods will support your card. (Atleast that's how I come to understand it.)

The thing DirectX is doing that got Carmack's attention is that they are squashing deprecated methods and forcing developers to use the new stuff; which is a good thing if you're building a new engine from the ground up, but not so much if you have an old multi-franchise engine that you need to stick around.

It's kind of weird to think that Microsoft is "streamlining" things these days. Going to be a pretty interesting times when these engines need to be written for "next-gen" consoles again.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 28, 2011

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Those are targeted to MMO players, I think. I don't play MMOs, so I don't know why that would be useful. I guess having your quickbar on your mouse is cool?

Yeah probably. If you're a healer you can macro all those buttons for different mouse-hover heals/cleanse. It also means you have free reign over movement keys while you spam spells.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

That just makes it more ridiculous, I feel.

"Life of the Party" and the level before it, "Sneaking into Angelwatch" or whatever it's called, are the two best levels of any game I've ever played. I put 4 hours into them in one stretch, 2 hours each. The sheer level of detail is amazing - you're sneaking through the rooftops, and you can wander off and see a scene based on the Hatfields & the McCoys, then there's the people arguing about the invitations...immersion.

I'm guessing you misquoted. I'll let it slide... this time. :argh:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Jetsetlemming posted:

A game needs to have DX11 and fancy graphics to not be a console port now? I thought the difference was in control and UI design, you know, poo poo that matters. How silly of me.

To be fair, well designed controls and UI for PC should be a given. Pretty graphics are always a pleasant feature though.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Is anyone else running into weird problems with Steam Overlay's webkit browser? If I open a link in the overlay, it messes with the video card stack somehow. After opening a link, loading games hardlocks the screen several times spanning 30seconds until it loads. Alt-tabbing takes >10seconds. It can only be fixed by rebooting.

Maybe it's ATI's new drivers? Maybe it's Firefox4 somehow? Maybe it's Adobe Flash?
I dunno wtf and I was wondering if anyone else has this.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Amrosorma posted:

Holy crap, that sounds nasty. Only thing I can offer is that Firefox (4) doesn't use Webkit and I've been using Firefox 4 since alpha and I have had no problems with it :(

Yeah It's pretty drat frustrating. I knew Firefox doesn't use webkit, but I vaguely remember that it does some GPU fuckery under the hood. I've pretty much ruled out FF4. I just can't pinpoint it exactly because I updated Steam, Firefox, ATI drivers, and Flash within the same couple days, and afterwards this problem started happening.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

That's a dumb thing to whiteknight. It's shady as hell to be told it's brand new when it's clearly been opened, regardless of the reasons. There's no point in opening them at all if every other retailer in the world has figured out how to keep people from stealing them.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

I don't want to get into a "used software" debate, but Gamestop is a used game retailer. Buying open unpackaged products marked as "brand new" from a retailer, that also happens to sell opened "used" games, is a shady situation. And it's a situation that can be easily avoided but isn't. Especially right now when new games come with a million slips of paper and one-time-use codes. It's dumb to be put into a situation to cause more human error and not get something you were supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Cheezymadman posted:

I've been using a Coolit Eliminator (Review from OC Club) for a couple years now and I love it. I've only got a 2GHz dual-core Athlon, but it dropped my temp at load by about 15%.

I have to run it on low, though, or else it forms condensation which drips onto my video card. Not sure if that's a symptom of a bigger problem or just a fact of peltier cooling.

No one listen to anything this guy says. That review is from 2007 and no one gives a poo poo about your cooling on a 2ghz processor especially if it drips loving water on your graphics card. Holy poo poo :frogout:

• Locked thread