Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

If you want to get a nice mouse for playing games, nothing comes more recommended than the Logitech MX 518. It looks weird at first but performs like a dream. It has on-the-fly adjustable sensitivity, which for certain games is amazingly useful. Two thumb buttons and a clicky scrollwheel round out the package. It's not terribly expensive and I love mine to death.

If you have one of these, put the little red bit on the bottom up to your ear :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Whats a good sturdy headset brand thats not very expensive?

Seriously, I'm getting sick and tired of headsets dying on me, or losing connection to one ear, or breaking in half at the connector, or all sorts of other bullshit because the design is complicated to look cool/have better sound. I just want a headset that won't break, and won't randomly stop making noise in both ears, and could care less about having more options or better sound then the other guys.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 24, 2011

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Two questions.

First off, I'm looking for a new monitor, however just one that will last me a year, maybe a year and a half before I get serious about buying something new. I'm currently looking at the ASUS VH236H 23" as it seems the best choice around that price range, however I also noticed this TV seems to be pretty cheap, while also being a decent size. Are there better options for around that price range? If not, which of the two would be best? I remember hearing bad things about using a TV as a monitor in the past, but uh, thats quite a bit larger for around the same price, so just wondering what I'm missing out on here.

Secondly, is there any sort of gadget that allows one to connect headset/headphone/microphone connectors in to a USB port? You know, the little green and red dangly things at the end of cheaper headsets? My headphone port works fine, however the port for inbound/microphones is totally broken, and can't receive signals, so I'm hoping to find some way to plug these things in to a USB connector, so I can actually talk to people again.

e: Or better yet, can I just switch them up in a menu of some sort? Like switch a speaker slot to function as a microphone slot?

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 30, 2011

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Anyone got any experience with Logitech mice?

Just bought a G400 to replace my MX518, since the mousewheel stopped working, and I don't know enough about mice to fix it. And now, a month or so after I got this thing, its having some major issues, mainly that every few minutes or so, it'll just drop connection to my PC, then reconnect a second later with a loud beeping noise. And I can't for the life of me figure out whats causing it.

Did some digging online, and found it was a common issue with the G500 brand of mice, hoping its not a common issue with the G400 brand as well, because if it is, wonderful, I wonder if I can get Logitech to fix up my MX518 as well. Just wondering if any goons had this issue, and knew how to fix it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So Laptop question.

I just got a job with a ton of free time, and was outright encouraged to bring a laptop to work to help pass the time, issue is, I know nothing about them.

I know I don't want to be looking for something that can play Skyrim or anything, but ideally, do most laptops at least allow you to play stuff like Torchlight/Aquaria/Braid/similarly specced lower end games? I've got a massive backlog right now, and if I could work on beating the smaller games while at work, that'd be fantastic.

If not, what brands/things should I be looking for, ideally I'm looking for something in the $300-$500 price range, but I'm guessing thats extreme low end for a laptop. If it could play some games though, and had a decent battery life, then I wouldn't mind forking out $750+ or so.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Are there any good reliable/low key mouse recommendations?

I prefer mice with only a few buttons, with more focus on reliability/ergonomics then hotkeys, I've gone from the MX518 to the G400 for example, both of which are fairly lowkey mice from what I understand.

Normally, I'd be sticking with the G400, but unfortunately, it seems this mouse is not finished yet, as I've managed to go through 7 of them now due to a design issue that Logitech is willing to admit they made, but won't offer a refund for. After a few months, it'll just start locking up and becoming unusable for a few seconds at a time, becoming worse and worse until you replace it.

And yes, I've tried using them on new computers, new mousepads, differing grips, everything that could possibly be changed, I've tried, it just seems to be a basic issue with the mice themselves, especially since most of the various forums I've found for Logitech products have also been complaining about this same issue.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 31, 2012

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

zenintrude posted:

Didn't they make a whole hullabaloo that the game sold something like 100k in its first month or something? At how much per copy... $10? $15? By all estimates this guy is now a millionaire.

And now what he's basically saying is that people have supported him and his game, but he refuses to ante up the money (of which he must be rolling in at this point) to fix the goddamned thing?

This guy is going to be a PR company's wet dream.

To be fair, while I think the guy is an rear end in a top hat, yeah, he is in the right in this case.

He still has to finish paying Microsoft back for helping them make Fez in the first place/marketing exposure, he needs to pay wages for his company, and presumably would like to have enough money to port the game to other platforms as well as work on additional projects, which it sounds like they are doing.

Blowing 40k to put out another patch, which also might not work at all, and force them to put out another 40k is not exactly a fair thing to ask, especially since groups like Minecraft/Notch can put out as many patches as they want for free because Microsoft basically bribed them with that.

The only reason people are pushing this against Phil is because he's an rear end in a top hat. Blow and McMullen also played the Microsoft Poster Boy card at some point, got hit with the exact same issue, and had similar problems, although not as bad as this save game bug. The fact they are now entirely pro Steam and haven't worked on a single new XBLA title I think says more then anything, on top of Phil Fish going from just short of sucking off Microsoft on camera and calling PC gamers "spreadsheet hunters", to glorifying Steam and calling out Microsoft.

The thing people should really be throwing a fit about is the fact it costs 40k to patch a game outside of the first free patch. This is the reasons tons of games, PC crossplats included just won't receive crucial patches until 2-3 months in when they can totally file out all the bugs, but also well after the game is dead, and why indie devs are getting shafted left and right on the 360. It's why half the games on my Steam list have V1.1 on them, and all happen to be crossplat, while all my PC exclusive games are V7.14 or some nonsense.

I'm going to guess the same thing will happen with Dust an Elysian Tale, guy has no previous experience making games, a few things won't work very well, he'll put out an early patch to try and fix a few things, then will have to pony up 40K he doesn't really have to keep fixing things, meaning he can either dump everything he made on keeping Dust great, or save it to try and make additional games. In that scenario though since the guy seems nice, people will likely take his side like they did with McMullen.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So huh.

I prefer my chair barely moving while I work, which means I usually leave it up on carpet. This worked fine for my old place, since the carpet was that super low to the ground style stuff, but I just moved, and the carpet my chair is now on is super low quality, and it's getting ripped up. I can't rip it out/replace it as I'm only renting, and I loathe those plastic chair mats, since the chairs flies all over the place. Is there any sort of carpet mats that you can buy that aren't in the $50+ range? I was checking around earlier, and was thinking of just buying a larger rug or something, but am wondering how sturdy that stuff is/if anyone uses something similar.

I assume desk chairs count as PC gaming talk. :colbert:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

notZaar posted:

Every other GTA has (eventually) made its way to PC, as well as all other Rockstar releases since RDR. I don't think it's really that far fetched.

And RDR never made it due to tech issues, not management choices. I doubt it'll ever get ported, but it's not as if Rockstar left it behind out of spite/economic reasons.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, my video card has been acting funky.

I've singled it down to either being a problem with my old DVI/VGA adapter cord, or just being the second bad card Sapphire has given me. Both cards have had a new set of serials though, so I'm guessing it's the first issue.

I was thinking of buying a new DVI/VGA cord today to see if that fixes the issue, but I realized last night I have an old HDMI cord lying around the house. The card and the monitor have a HDMI port, so I hooked it up, but my screen wouldn't respond.

At the time I gave up and assumed it wouldn't work, but now I'm thinking I probably need to switch my monitor over to the HDMI input? I've never actually used an HDMI cord before, so I'm just curious what that actually is/how to do that.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Any recommendations on sensor bars?

Trying to hook up a Wiimote to my PC for Dolphin. I originally went with a knockoff Wiibar through Amazon, but it turned out to be junk, with just a single light. Have bought a few more while searching for "Wireless Wii Sensor Bar", and same problem, all of them seem to be cheap, or don't work very well ( have to hold the Wiimote directly inline with the LED, no deviations, etc. ).

Just realized it just needs to be a basic LED sensor bar though, with two points. Figure there are PC gaming peripherals like that for other reasons, and this thread might have some recommendations.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Really dumb question.

Just moved to a place that uses WiFi. Realized after the fact my PC doesn't have a wireless hookup, its always been wired, so I never bought one when I built it. Trying to search around for a decent external USB based wireless enabling device I can hook up to it, but now only have my phone to search, and no idea what terms to even look for.

Any ideas?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Chortles posted:

Wireless network adapter, USB wi-fi adapter, or just plain "wireless adapter"?

I honestly have no idea. The thing that lets my computer receive wireless internet.

Would prefer it to be a USB attache, since I'm not comfortable adding an internal device right now.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JWMOOI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just bought one of these. It should work, right?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Windows 8 works fine at everything that isn't UI related. I've been using it for about a year now, and it's totally alright the minute you get into a game.

All issues I have with older games ( Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 ) are issues I also had on Windows 7, and mainly seem to be centered around older Blizzard games. All my other "older" games ( Deus Ex, Icewind Dale, Thief, Tomb Raider, Splinter Cell, etc ), have worked fine. I still run into issues, but it's at the normal rate of "old game doesn't like new hardware, let me find out why" as you'd get with XP, Vista, or 7. It's also always been fixable outside of the Blizzard games. ( which also aren't fixable on 7 because Blizzard doesn't care. )

Hell, it actually fixes up a few games to perform better, such as SR2. You don't need to run Powertools to play SR2 on a Win8 PC. I've also had much better results with emulated games compared to their performance on the same machine just a little over a year ago. Some of this is just Dolphin/Pcsx2 getting upgraded over time, but I've also noticed it on stuff I don't update like PCXR or Desumume. It may also make current gen stuff run better, but I can't tell the difference between 30/60 fps, and my machine is pretty top of the line, so I'm never really skirting that edge. Edgy Bee's at least seems to think it does, so maybe it does.

The only issue I have ever had with 8 is the horrible UI. You can buy a new Start Menu program for $5 though, or just download something free like StartMenu8. Then it'll load itself right into a normal Win7esque desktop every time you load, and everything will be the Win7 UI, just slightly worse. For all the vitriol it's gotten since it's launch, it's just Win7 with some engine tweaks and a shittier paint job.

e: I'm not saying everyone should go upgrade immediately, just saying if you find yourself with a Win8 PC/Laptop, or can find a better deal on Win8, it's basically the same thing with some minor tweaks.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 19, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I want to try overclocking to get an emulated game running just a bit better. Issue is I've never done it before, and I'm not even sure I should with my system.

I've currently got a i5-3570k set to the default of 3.4GHZ, and it's on a ASUS P8Z77-V LX LGA. I've got a 650W PSU, but have no idea how much my system is actually using up. Thing is I don't own any additional cooling systems in place outside of the default mobo/psu fans.

According to CPUID all 4 cores on my I5 are around 30-40c, and the hottest thing in my system is my video card at 45c. According to a friend of mine I should be able to overclock that just fine without any additional cooling, as long as I don't go crazy. Thing is he's a bit of a flake, and I'd rather check with goons before I potentially fry my PC.

Should I not even bother? Should I just go buy a better GPU? Curious how much leeway you have with overclocking, and how exactly one can tell how much their system can handle.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Realtalk, is there a way to force Surround on my PC over Stereo?

I'm currently using

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826402014

or

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/pulse-wireless-stereo-headset-ps3.html

Depending on what I'm trying to do. While the Audio-Technica mentions it's stereo only, the PULSE mentions it can handle 7.1 Surround.

Which would be great, however going to Sound > Configure only shows Stereo as an option.

I wouldn't normally care, but I'm trying to play Silent Hill Homecoming, and it's got an audio issue where if you aren't using 5.1/7.1 surround, all of the sound comes out of the right speaker. This is uh, completely unplayable for a horror game, so I'm attempting to force my system to use the 7.1 setting. Or hell, force the game to think I'm using surround and using both earpieces again.

Anyone got any ideas?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I bought a Sony Pulse Wireless headset to use with my Ps3/Ps4. It's a nice enough headset, doesn't feel uncomfortable, has good sound, all of that.

Well, when my AudioTechnica died, I didn't really want to bother sending it in, because their returns page is terrifying, and I'd probably end up spending more money repairing it then I would just buying a new set of headphones. So instead I just hooked up the Pulse to my PC, and have been using it as my PC headset for awhile.

The sound is still good, it just has one problem. Every once and awhile it'll just drop connection for a few seconds before reconnecting. It happens more often when I'm downloading games, but it honestly can happen at any time. It's not common enough to really BOTHER me, but when it happens during a cutscene/story bit in a game, it pretty much forces me to restart that area.

I'm curious, is this just a problem inherent to wireless headsets, or is there something I'm missing? A setting I can change to make sure it doesn't do it anymore? A program I can install that makes sure it's always connected properly? I find it strange that downloading games would cause it to freak out occasionally, but if I'm wholly offline it doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So I have zero idea what this could even be, which is why I'm asking here.

I just jumped from a 7950 and 8gb of RAM to a 970 and 16gb of RAM. Yay me, right? And for the most part, yay me is correct, everything runs flawlessly now.

Except shooters. Doesn't matter when they came out, what company made them, etc etc. They are all loving shitshows. They aren't lagging, but it feels like I'm losing serious frames, and almost always in huge chunks at a time. It's especially noticeable in the gun sway, the gun will basically just jump around since I'm getting frames entirely cut out. If I turn quickly, the gun motion is just all messed up. And inevitably, after about 10-15 minutes of playing the game just shits itself, with everything suddenly breaking and becoming unplayable.

I have zero idea whats going on. These aren't new games like Black Ops 3, these are old games like Airborne, Syndicate, or Modern Warfare. Games I played fine on my 7950. I doubt it's the card alone, because it has almost no problems with other games/genres. Do I have some sort of Nivida feature turned on I don't know about that's conflicting with the games I'm playing? Is the 970 I bought secretly a piece of poo poo? What am I missing.

• Locked thread