Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Duck Feet posted:

I had the previous version of that (or something, it wasn't Razer but it was a Nostromo like that, very similar). I bought it back when I raided in WoW, hoping it would give me easier access to the X amount of keys I needed and it did. I remember loving that thing, although I did have to figure out a scheme that would use the pad to its full extent, but once I did that I couldn't stop using it. I don't know how nice it would be for other games that don't have as many keybinds because that was my main functionality for it (tons of possible keybinds in a very accessible area). The ergonomics are pretty good and feel natural almost immediately.

One downside is if you type to chat it can get kind of annoying as you would have to switch between the pad and the keyboard, but seeing as how most people use voice programs when playing games I don't think this is that big of a con.

This is all based off of the old version, but I doubt they changed much that would change my opinions on it.

On another note, for Christmas I'm going to be getting this:

Cannot wait.
That thing is so loving nerdy, goony, and pretentious its making me vomit on my lettered keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Smee posted:

Seeing this Logitech discussion crop up makes me want to throw in my $0.02

I currently own an MX1000 cordless mouse, which was sent to me FREE OF CHARGE after I called Logitech about my MX700 no longer holding a charge.

The guy on the phone walked me through the usual steps (Is it plugged in, pencil erasers on the contacts, etc), then he asked for my info, which I initially started giving to him but then my :tinfoil: set in and I asked "What's this for, anyway? All my personal info, that is" "Oh, we're going to send you a new mouse."

I not only got a free replacement mouse for my old defective one (which still lasted a good while, considering it was my first cordless) I ended up getting an upgrade.

Since then, any peripheral device I buy for my computer has been Logitech. Speakers, keyboard (bought a G15 about 3 months after they came out, still rockin' it, though the LCD screen is now cracked :(), mouse, headset, all Logitech.

I love 'em :3:

Logitech has the best customer service in the hardware industry by far. Every time I've had a product of theirs break or not working optimally, they send me a new one for free.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

You've had Logitech stuff break? I never have, that's why I love them.

One of their wireless mice a long time ago had the plug on the transformer get loose or something. I just asked for a replacement for the power cord/transformer, but they just sent me a whole new boxed product.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Methos posted:

This thread is dying like PC gaming.

PC gamers don't need to pat each other on the back every 30 seconds with huge megathreads to know how awesome we are. After twenty years of dominance, we just know it already.

:smugathon:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Diamond posted:

for my birthday last year my girlfriend got me a WarmKeyBoard and some fingerless gloves Its a heated keyboard for typing at 2am on those chilly winter nights and its AMAZING

Do you PC game in the Siberian wilderness or something because I can't figure out why you'd need a heated keyboard and gloves to type with.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Red Baron posted:

Click here for the full 800x449 image.

A picture of my RAT 9 (more or less as big as it gets) next to my iPhone inside an Otterbox case. I've got the left wing pushed out as far as I can, and slid as far forward as it goes, the wing on the right side, and the highest palm rest on the next-to-last position. There is actually a "soft touch" rubber palm rest that I keep switching back and forth to, but it's about a quarter inch lower than what I have on there now.

When you have the thing in one piece, do you like it? I have a wireless razer mamba and I loving hate this thing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just bought a mini wireless keyboard trackpad thing, I hope it enhances my PC from the sofa experience a little bit. I am still holding onto that dream...

I've been looking for one of these. Link it if you wouldn't mind.

I've been wanting something like a wireless version of this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826169019 except about a thousand times less gaudy.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Civ 4 is probably going to be the best history 4x for the rest of time. It could certainly get a lot better, but I don't think video games are headed that direction any more. Buy Civ 4 BTS and treasure it forever.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I've never even heard of that Metro 2033 game, just checked out some videos for it, how the gently caress have I never heard of this it looks awesome. I get a huge STALKER feel from it which is a game I love terribly.

You know how some people call linear FPSes corridor shooters? Well, Metro 2033 is... literally a corridor shooter.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

darkhand posted:

Play the demo first because it actually is as bad as other people say.

It was so irritatingly anime that I had to sterilize my hard drive after uninstalling it just to make sure I didn't catch whatever turns people into people that like that kind of game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

averox posted:

I think King's Bounty is pretty much the only one that takes the HoMM formula and makes it all exploring. Granted I can't think of another game that copies HoMM.

The Disciples series. That series is even more simplistic than the HoMM games though. Just play HoMM3 until you die.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

sinep posted:

Does anoyone have any experience with this?
http://www.buy.com/prod/igugu-pc-to-tv-motion-sensing-gaming-solution-gaming-pad-wireless/q/sellerid/11408470/loc/108/217152041.html

It's basically an Xbox 360 w/chatpad knock off, but that trackball seems to have potential. If it works well, that could be a solution to "couch conundrum".

Interesting. It'd be nice for casual gaming, or for games that don't rely too heavily on a cursor.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Red Baron posted:

So can someone recommend to me a mouse pad that I can buy at like walmart or target that's not a total waste of my money?

Here you go! I don't have this mouse pad myself, but bonus! It doubles as a blanket.

XTRAC PADS Ripper XXL Mouse Pad 36"w x 18"h

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

GreatGreen posted:

Hey developers, make some good PC versions of games and you'll sell a ton of them.

Developers, if anything, will be more like Epic. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure when Gears of War sold like poo poo on the PC, CliffyB (of Epic) bitched and moaned about how piracy is killing PC gaming sales because "if you know how to upgrade a video card you know how to torrent their game." When in fact the port was extremely lovely and the game wasn't anything new or interesting in the first place.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dragon Knight Saga is probably the best fantasy RPG to come out in the last couple years. It's really good.

Risen came out in 2009. It's leagues ahead of Divinity 2.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vertigus posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what's going on in this comic. A poster mentioned that they were trying to get a crossfire setup running on a laptop, but what the hell is Gabe talking about with a "3rd party mod" and "canceling an install before it finishes"?

I don't get it either, is my reading comprehension failing here? He is getting lovely fps, he discovers he doesn't even have the video card drivers installed, plus the game doesn't support his video card anyway, so his solution is to interrupt the installation of a mod and expect to get a giant fps gain from it? what

I feel so loving stupid for not 'getting' an awful webcomic.

Node fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 30, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Blackula69 posted:

Jesus christ you guys, jesus christ. Read my post above where I explain the joke.

The events depicted in the web comic would be just as funny if it was rewritten as follows:

[Gabe] Twenty-one frames per second? That can't be right.
[Gabe] MONKEY CHEESE
[Computer] 22 frames per second

What he said in between the first and last panels have no relation to anything else. There is no punchline because, if there was one, it should make the prior parts of the story/joke humorous in hindsight. Therefore, it isn't a joke. This offends all other jokes, funny or not, in the world. Don't argue with me kid as I have a masters degree in jokes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The KillerNIC? Is the increase in your experience as big as the upgrade to an x-fi sound card?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Samurai Sanders posted:

How is Dead Space 2 PC? Does it have the same technical problems the first one did?

Yes. It isn't getting any potential DLC or expansions either.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Manac0r posted:

Epic just release a parody of call of duty, called 'Duty calls.'

http://www.ripten.com/2011/02/02/call-of-duty-parody-duty-calls-complete-gameplay-warning-this-sht-is-funny/

That's a quick video to give you a taste.

I found it funny. You can download this 750mb 'game' from the official site. Use google. Oh and it's free.

This is exactly what all console FPSes look like to me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Mu Zeta posted:

I ran into the first problem I've had in PC games in years. I bought Mass Effect 1 on Steam and the resolution options are hosed up. I can do some normal ones like 1280 x 720 but that's the highest it goes. I have some other options like 900x1600, but I can't do 1600 x 900. If I do 900x1600 everything is turned sideways. The gently caress?

There is a very hard to see arrow on the resolution drop-down menu that lets you choose more from the list.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Sosiz posted:

New trailer for Dead Island is up. It's really touching, one of the best trailers I've ever seen.

Uhh wow. I was not expecting that, at all.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Someone link that $500 ceramic thing that lifts audio cables off the ground.

Maybe I saw it in this thread come to think of it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

doctorfrog posted:

This was a review I read of these very "cable lifters:"

http://www.audiotweaks.com/reviews/cblelevators/page03.htm

Now, this gentleman is not only comparing lifted cables to those that are merely carpet-borne, but the difference between his homemade porcelain cable lifters and the pricy brand name versions. Ah, the curse and the pleasure of he that should bear the Golden Ear!

It should be legal and encouraged to murder these people.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Anyone mind listing their favorite coop games? No specific genre, just preferably games that don't have pitifully short play times.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

SpartanIV posted:

The fact that they listed Battlefield 2 but NOT Battlefield 1942 or 2142 completely invalidates this to me.

Oh my gosh. Someone disagrees with a top ## list of games? This has never happened in the history of Something Awful.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I wish there were more games like killing floor. Not every online FPS needs to be a deathmatch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

spasticColon posted:

Bringing the discussion back to games, is there a good Metroid type game for the PC?

Aquaria. It's an "indie" game where you're a mermaid and learn songs to kill stuff or interact with the world. It has exceptional music. It isn't as girlie as it sounds.

spasticColon posted:

And I see Amnesia: Dark Decent is :10bux: on Steam...should I get since I liked the demo?

Uhhh no if you liked the demo then obviously you will hate the full game, I guess?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Davincie posted:

I'm playing Divinity 2 right now and is it worth mindreading? I've been reading everyone so far and didn't get anything out of it except to location of some loot I assume would have been there even if I hadn't heard about it. They can be funny though.

Also can you ever get anything from the books? I chose one as a quest reward but there were no more then 6 lines of text in it and not even a stat bonus.

Mindread everybody all the time. There are a few junk mindreads but its almost always worth the exp debt.

Don't pick junk rewards for quests. The only books worth reading are stat/skill books and books that show up in your quest tab.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Although some mindreads will tell you about obvious stashes, several mind reads will tell you about hard-to-find keys and other hidden items that you probably wont find otherwise. Sometimes you'll get passwords to stashes or other places. Sometimes you actually get skill points for mind reading. Every once in a while you get quests, IIRC. It's always worth mind reading, just for the free skill points alone. It ends up being more skill points than if you just never mind read anyone and used that XP for leveling up, the other stuff are just bonuses.

On a related note, it's never worth upgrading your mind reading. The XP you save isn't really worth it.

It's like Stalker, stashes (or the item you mindread about) and passwords won't show up until you've mind read the person. This prevents you from mindreading to get the location and just reloading to save exp.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is there a finite amount of XP in the game, or is it just a bit of grinding debt?

Yes, exp is finite. Don't sperg about getting every last experience point. The skill points and unique equipment you get far, far outweigh the exp which ends up being a drop in the bucket.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cardboard Fox posted:

If anyone missed it from the Steam thread:

STALKER:CoP Complete has been released.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-complete

There isn't a dl link up at moddb yet, but there's one on the guys blog:
http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2010/04/mod-call-of-pripyat-complete.html

If anyone is unaware, this is a series of mods for the STALKER games. They're all extremely professional and don't try to change the game completely for the sake of changing it. It has redone textures, lighting, and shadows as well as a ton of bug squashing.

I'm personally going to wait until I get my new computer to play Complete for CoP since I want to be able to experience it in all its glory.

I could be blind, but the link to that guys weblog just links back to the moddb download link, which doesn't have the file.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Here's a higher quality video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgS67BwPfFY&feature=player_embedded

Games are gonna be awesome in 5 years.

These days I am getting less impressed with new graphics engines. They're just going to get butchered for use in low-spec consoles. I'd be so much more impressed if someone created some kind of AI engine that makes the computer act smarter and more adaptive. Like how you see so many games with Havok or SpeedTree, you could see the logo for this magic new AI system. Then you would know that the developers didn't have to develop their own AI from scratch and that they had something to base it on.

Same with audio. DICE should allow other developers to use Bad Company 2's sound engine.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
The Majesty 2 DLC isn't actually new, Steam just took their sweet time adding it to their catalog.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
SH/SC is wrong about dual core. Bad Company 2, which uses the same engine, I think, gets huge improvements with quad cores.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

nickhimself posted:

It'd be cool if for the next gen of gaming consoles, microsoft said "welp, we're done with the console market. start buying poo poo on the PC because that's all we're supporting anymore."

We're more likely to see world peace and the cure for cancer before that happens

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I just installed GTA4, and this is my first experience with GFWL. What problems can I expect to run into?

e: Okay, well I've had to restart the game twice so far to get GFWL to apply updates. That's annoying.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 19, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

RagnarokAngel posted:

Download the GFWL client and update it out of game. You can save a LOT of headaches this way.

Thank you.

Now it can't connect to the service for some reason. Now I think I am beginning to see why everyone hates GFWL.

Node fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 19, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Do I seriously need to open ports for gfwl to work? That means I need to find a way to make sure my router reserves the IP address for my computer. God damnit. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Scionix posted:

GFWL is absolute garbage, I had to set it up with SFIV, and had to restart at least five times, not to mention the fact the update didn't "stick" until I restarted. Even then, it was a crapshoot for awhile as to whether it would log me in my profile or not. Hell, I can't even figure out how to change my gamertag on the GFWL website because the navigation is so absurd.

They gave me the loving name "ValiantCheese"

gently caress you GFWL

I don't think I've ever gone from "Why do people hate this program?" to "I hate this program." in such a short amount of time. I can connect to the service ingame, but I can't connect to it out of game. I guess I can't use their LIVE marketplace. Gosh darn it!

• Locked thread