Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iceaim
May 20, 2001

Devil Wears Wings posted:

ArmA II - Probably the most realistic military shooter out there. WARNING: Requires one helluva CPU, and probably a SSD, to run well.

How bad will this game run on a PC with a GTX 280 and a dual core E8500 with no SSD.

Will the game be somewhat playable?

Edit: 4 gigs of ram and Vista 64 too btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

iceaim posted:

How bad will this game run on a PC with a GTX 280 and a dual core E8500 with no SSD.

Will the game be somewhat playable?

Edit: 4 gigs of ram and Vista 64 too btw.

I guess maybe this wasn't the best thread to ask this question, but I am anxious for an answer. I picked this game up yesterday since it was on sale on Steam.

I never tried a truly CPU intensive game on my rig. All the games I've played on it (Mafia 2, Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher, etc) just needed a good GPU and play beautifully at 1080p.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

How does Xbox 360's 3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon compare with a Core 2 Duo E8500? I know technically the 360 has more cores, but I have heard that the cores are scaled down. Can someone shed more light on this?

All I know is my PC with an E8500 seems to produce better graphics at a better resolution than a 360 can, but I believe my GPU plays a big role in that since it has a GTX 280 which I know blows way the Xbox GPU. But I really am curious how my CPU sizes up with a Power PC CPU from 2005.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

kotau posted:

I've gone through a lot of PC mics and they last about a year.

The best one I've ever used (and am still using with fantastic quality+no drivers) is the USB Rock Band Mic. It's surprisingly clear and sensitive, though you'll have to get a little stand to hold it.

I have a connectland mic I bought like 4 years ago that still works. I think it cost like next to nothing. Still works awesome, very sensitive and clear, has a super long cord, and the cord is covered with this threaded material that keeps it pretty safe from getting damaged.

Edit: This isn't even a USB mic. It's one of those regular all purpose mics with the standard headphone plug.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 25, 2010

• Locked thread