Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yudo
May 15, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

Just how much wattage do you need for a gaming PC and what brand makes the best PSUs? I kept hearing that besides the motherboard, the PSU is the part you should not skimp on.

Also, are you guys factoring the price of the operating system when you recommend builds because even the cheapest version of Windows 7 is about $200, or do I assume that :filez: are involved? I heard the activation schemes of Windows and some PC games don't like people upgrading their computers because it changes some hash value or something, which really grinds my gears because upgrading your PC is a huge part of what being a PC gamer is and the thought of not being to play my game or use my operating system because I decided to upgrade my videocard because my old one ran games like poo poo is a horrifying thought. I think it's ironic that the methods software publishers use to deter piracy actually just encourages it more.

OEM copies of Windows are locked to the model of motherboard that was in use when it was activated. So you can change any part you want without your license being effected other than the motherboard. I am not trying to suggest that any of MS's licensing schemes are fair, but motherboard upgrades are pretty major and should be rare. Retail copies don't have this limitation but rather have some vague number of motherboards it can be installed to before MS thinks it is being pirated (even if only one instance of the license is activated at one time). Prices for the retail version are insane, however.

I bought a OEM copy of Windows 7 Professional for $130 (from these delightful people https://www.newegg.com buy everything there). Pro has one features that I needed but for most people Windows 7 Home should be just fine and is less expensive. While I think that is a lot for a OS, its at the very least less than you suggested. I should also say that Windows 7 is the first Windows I have been happy with, and I have used nearly every version ever released.

The wattage you need depends on the hardware you plan to run; you can get some idea of what uses how much and ultimately what you will need here: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/. FWIW I think most people will be fine with a quality 550W PSU with midrange video cards, perhaps going up to 650/750W if they want to SLI/crossfire. Some Nvidia cards use an insane amount of power, so above is a very general guideline.

Don't buy no name memory; good stuff is cheap as poo poo anyway so their is no excuse. If you are on a budget spending more than $200 on a CPU for a gaming machine is not really necessary. As someone who has been building computers for a very long time, what you get for the price in today's computers in mind boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yudo
May 15, 2003

slev posted:

Does anyone have any experience with this mouse? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146009&Tpk=GM-M6800

I'm not really looking to spend much more than $20 on a mouse. I just need to replace my old one because the scroll wheel has stopped working.

This was mentioned previously but the Logitech MX 518 is worth every penny. I have (and still use) its precursor and it has held up very: its on year four and still going. The ergonomics of it are fantastic and extra buttons are quite useful as well.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

404notfound posted:

I dunno how useful anecdotal evidence is here, but I have an OEM copy of Windows 7 that I got for free through my school's MSDNAA thing. I recently upgraded my computer, swapping out literally everything except the hard drives, the video card, and the power supply; I even switched from AMD to Intel for the chipset.

When I got all my parts installed and booted up, I went into Windows just fine with my old installation, and all I got was the simple prompt telling me to authenticate over the internet. It was the most painless upgrade experience of my life.

Are you sure its an OEM copy and not some weird student (or retail equivalent) license or something? I would do back flips if I could use the same OS I am using now if I switch MBs: the socket that the current i5 uses is dead and it would be nice if I did not have to buy Windows 7 again if I decided to upgrade in the future.

That said I used the same CPU + graphics card for three years before it became too sluggish--well actually the MB was about to kick it: I could have gotten a little more life out of the old Q6600 if I had bought a new card.

Okonner posted:

If I could trouble the thread with another hardware question, is there a handy way to look at what aftermath I would get from a new processor/motherboard? I got a pre-built cause the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a pile of pieces that I may be completely unable to put together terrified me. More specifically, I'm looking at replacing my Core 2 Duo with an i5 or i7. Do I need to worry a lot about my hard drives/video card/sound card, etc.?

First I would just say that, unless you are running lots of CPU dependent applications, your PC may benefit more from a new video card than a new processor.

Otherwise, no: just remove everything and then plug it back into your new MB. New MBs will be backwards compatible and will likely have no issue with any cards you have. You may want new RAM, however.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 20, 2010

• Locked thread