Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?

Frostillicus posted:

I'm going to disagree with you here, but it's partly because of my personal situation. I have a job that requires a lot of travel, and I spend tons of time in hotels during the work week. I bought an Asus G73 gaming laptop almost a year ago, and I get a ton of use out of it. I would definitely prefer to be at home gaming on my desktop which is more powerful and cost less, but I can't take it with me on the road.

I have a G73 too, and am perpetually trapped in driver update hell. I seriously am never buying an ATI video card ever again after all the horrible, horrible problems I have had trying to update my goddamn drivers, no matter how technically superior the hardware may or may not be it just is not worth dealing with the crappy installer they use. I travel once a month or so which makes the laptop a little bit handy, but I should have stuck with a desktop :(

There was also the grey screen of death issue with the Radeon mobility 5870, where it'd regularly freeze and require rebooting any time it had to do anything graphically intensive. They released a vBIOS update that fixed it a while back, but before that the laptop was pretty much useless for high-end gaming, which is the entire reason it had such a high price tag! At least it doesn't run in to overheating problems.

Also, can anyone recommend me a decent mousepad? My old one broke, and I'm interested in ordering a high quality one that'll last longer. Unfortunately, most of the mousepads I've looked at are ridiculous gaming mousepads the size of four normal mousepads stuck together, with huge price tags and questionable quality. I also use a MX518 which apparently runs in to issues with certain mousepads, and I am fairly clueless as to which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
I might as well ask if anyone knows how to completely purge all ATI drivers from my system. Manually uninstalling doesn't do it, and driversweeper and CCleaner apparently miss things too. My problem is that whenever I run the ATI installer, it simply does not give me the option to select the driver to install, it just offers the freebies like the LOTR beta or browser toolbars. I've tried all sorts of combinations of uninstalling drivers, messing with my video card in device manager, safe mode, using external programs and manually deleting files, but have had absolutely no luck getting the installer to offer the option to actually install the goddamn drivers. Apparently, somewhere on my system is some trace of older drivers and the install manager thinks I either already have the latest drivers or that I don't have a compatible video card. I've tried the mobility drivers, non-mobility drivers, various hotfix drivers, all of various different versions, and have had pretty much no luck.

Maybe the driver that installers like these use to determine system configuration got busted? Apparently that can happen, but I haven't been able to find out how to fix it.

I can at least install the drivers through device manager, but I'm worried it might be missing things. Also, I can't install the catalyst control center to mess with my card's settings either. The only options left to me at this point are asking the internet or reformatting my computer.

This is why I'm giving up on ATI cards, I never ran in to these problems when I used NVIDIA. This is actually the first machine I've used with an ATI card, too!

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
The reason PC gaming isn't doing so well is because nobody is releasing decent PC games anymore. It's all terrible console ports with crappy UIs and horrible mouse acceleration that pretty much require a gamepad. Nobody designs games with mouse and keyboard in mind anymore, at best you end up with a gamepad-style control scheme mapped to your keyboard. You're lucky if the developers even let you re-bind keys! God help you if you have a logitech controller plugged in to your computer instead of a 360 one, lots of developers can't even seem to handle that correctly and you gotta dick around with a 360 controller emulator.

It seems like RPGs (and MMORPGs) are the only PC-centric genre left. The Witcher and Dragon Age are the only recently released games I can think of with a mouse and keyboard compatible UI. There's Bad Company 2, too. Can anyone recommend any others?

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003

jassi007 posted:

Buy the Rocketfish (Best Buy brand) mousepad from bestbuy. Its huge, dual sided, costs $20 and is fantastic!

This is the mousepad I had, but the adhesive feet fell off. It was kind of hard on the feet of some of the mice I used, too. You can probably get a better one for the money. Steelseries apparently makes pretty good mousepads (http://shop.steelseries.com/index.php/surfaces.html), but most suffer from the problem of being loving huge.

I've also seen people recommending ratpadz (http://www.ratpadz.com/). I have very little desk space so I can't really buy any of these giant mousepads, but people apparently think they're good!

• Locked thread