Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RagnarokAngel posted:

For the record I own a gaming laptop and a rather pricey one, and I dont regret it but I feel I'm one of the few cases where it works out.

I'm not sure what kind of laptop you own, but there are alternatives to pricey Alienware stuff. A couple of years ago I bought a Sager M860TU (admittedly as a supplement to my already beefy desktop and not as a desktop-replacement) because I wanted something I could use for LAN parties and as a semi-mobile workstation for development. I wouldn't recommend it for someone going out and buying a primary computer, but I still absolutely love the thing. I've never run into any issues with overheating, even when playing fairly demanding games for hours and hours, and driver support has been fine.

That said, I agree with your basic point, I'm just not sure I agree with the specific problems you have with gaming laptops.

Edit- Any laptop larger than 15" is probably a pretty dumb idea, though. My laptop is what I'd consider to be the absolute upper-end of portable at ~8 lbs. Any heavier and I can't imagine I'd ever be willing to actually tote it around with me in a bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Blackula69 posted:

Yeah, thankfully most PC errors like that have disappeared with windows 7 and the standardization of most driver architecture. ATI are still idiots sometimes, but I haven't had a problem with a game in years except Arkham Asylum loving up with DirectSound acceleration, which was fixed with a single mouse click.

It's really kind of funny (in a good way, mind you) how brain-dead simple PC gaming has become over the last four or five years. I replaced just about everything in my computer except for the case about a year ago, and I think the time it took to go from unscrewing the side panel to having a fully functional windows install was about two hours. And out of those two hours, about 30 minutes was totally unattended while Windows 7 did its thing. I didn't even have to reinstall or redownload a single game since I kept the HDD that Steam was installed on. Beats the poo poo out of the hours upon hours I used to spend setting up Windows XP and reinstalling everything.

I did recently get a DOA video card though so gently caress PC gaming I hope it dies in a fire :mad:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Chortles posted:

Was it from Newegg? And was it EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, or XFX?

Newegg and EVGA. I was just kidding, though, I've dealt with DOA hardware before and it's not a big deal. I still need to get around to setting up an RMA since I'm very lazy and my old card is pretty good anyway. :xd:

Edit- On an unrelated note, is it just me or have driver installs largely become a thing of the past? I just realized that aside from video card drivers and some specialized laptop stuff, I don't think I've actually done any driver installs since Windows 7 came out.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Not many PC games even look as good as Uncharted 2 so I don't see consoles to blame for holding back graphics.

Uncharted 2 looks really good, but I honestly still feel like Crysis with a good custom config set a bar that practically nothing has touched and it'll run silky smooth on fairly outdated hardware. There are other games that are technically better in one or two areas (and plenty of games with better overall art direction), but that game still floors me with how good it looks on the whole. It kills me to see how many console ports look so much worse while running like poo poo on newer hardware.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

keyframe posted:

Certain games play much better on the controller. FPS's are not one of those games.

It's not even "better" or "worse" so much as different. The way you move your viewpoint in a shooter with a mouse is fundamentally different from how you do it with an analog stick, and anyone who doesn't acknowledge the massive impact that has on game design is insane. It vastly alters the way movement in the game works and how powerful abilities/weapons that require the player to quickly change direction are. The problem with developers universally favoring gamepads (regardless of which platform they're doing it on!) is that certain kinds of games simply can't be made anymore. And that sucks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

keyframe posted:

Pretty much every 3rd person action game like assasins creed, witcher 2 , batman, just cause, etc play better with a controller in my experience. I don't use the mouse for anything other than fps and rts games come to think of it.

I found Dead Space to be a pretty lovely game with a controller, but a really great one with a mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

If that were happening, I guess it would be pretty bad. But it isn't, so everything's ok.

Cool, then I guess we're in agreement? I don't know what you thought I was saying, but I was responding to the silly idea that one control scheme is universally better for broad genre types.

Although I don't agree with you about third-person shooters at all, but that's a matter of personal preference. I just find the extra fidelity for aiming way, way more fun than a small amount of extra fidelity for walking direction.

• Locked thread