Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IEatBabies
Sep 17, 2004
The Serious Sam HD games would be a good addition to the FPS recommendations. They're a good throwback to large waves of enemies and fast-paced action that you don't really see in current FPS games. Plus they've got updated visuals for the new engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IEatBabies
Sep 17, 2004

Quickpull posted:

Personally I've found that you can usually get a good deal on a no frills machine from one of the major PC makers, then drop in upgrades like the video card of your choice or more ram and get away with spending about the same as you would building it yourself. You often end up with some nice tech support too if you go this way, Dell has always been really good about sending me replacement parts for free over the years.

You have to be careful with this route as the included power supply may not be capable of supporting an upgraded video card either because it can't supply the power or doesn't have the required connectors.

IEatBabies
Sep 17, 2004

Boring posted:

awesome, thanks-

this is only after an evening of browsing, but is something like this:

http://www.wired2fire.co.uk/build.php?systype=5&fsb=7

with the graphics card swapped out for the geforce GTX 460 and the 600w power supply something that would last me a few years?

The 768 MB GTX 460 is memory limited at higher resolutions and the CPU may be a little weak.

You should probably use the SHSC parts recommendation thread as a reference.

IEatBabies
Sep 17, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Interesting, I never knew that. I wonder what the developers take on it is though. Do they just give their title to 3rd party company to do the transition, or do they like/bemoan the fact that they have to switch the engine to OpenGL to get it work on a Mac.

'OpenGL still works fine,' said Carmack, 'and we wouldn’t get any huge benefits by making the switch, so I can’t work up much enthusiasm for cleaning it out of our codebase. If it was just a matter of the game code, we could quite quickly produce a DirectX PC executable, but all of our tool code has to share resources with the game renderer, and I wouldn’t care to go over all of that for a dubious win.'

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/11/carmack-directx-better-opengl/1

• Locked thread