Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Great thread OP. I've been building my own gaming PC's for years now (I hate the term "rig" and try not to use it).

Great advice all around. Has anyone built a gaming PC with SSD's yet? My PC is due for some minor upgrades and I need some input on SSD's and a new video card.

I'm still using my Nvidia GTX280 and I want to upgrade but I'm not sure what's what in the new GTX series. I also want to go with SSD's, and I'm not sure how well a RAID 0 would work with a couple of mid sized drives.

Also here's my setup. Two 24" widescreens on some cheap rear end stand, I dropped the money for the WoW branded wireless headset, and I'm a huge nerd with my digital camo case.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I need a bigger desk :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Just installed a GTX 580 Black Ops Edition to round out my PC.

Now I've got an i5, 8 gigs of DDR3 monster that plays Crysis Warhead so smoothly I'm actually quite surprised.

Unbox and install: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XtV4nBo5xs

Edit: To whoever posted the "go outside" comment. Really? It's loving winter and there's 6 inches of snow outside. YOU come here and go outside and see how long you stay there.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 26, 2011

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

I bet you could point the back of your case out the window and melt all the snow in a mile radius with that rig - especially if you're running Warhead on "enthusiast" settings.

Hah. It does pump out some heat, but it's a lot quieter than you might think.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Manac0r posted:

While I understand it's not possible to futureproof a PC. I recently built at great expense, a kind of wedding gift, the following:

i7 980x over clocked to 4.2Ghz
12 gig ram, 1600
128 gig C300 SSD drive
1TB WD esata III secondary drive
2 x 580 SLI
1 x 460 for PhysX ( yeah I know )
ASUS rampage III extreme
Obsidian case with 1500rpm silent fan
Water cooled system, including GPUs and CPU

Suffice to say I owe Satan my soul. Despite all that I'm planning on getting a good 3 years out of this baby before upgrading. Now it would be easy to be critical and dispel my moment of happiness, but putting that to one side. How long realistically will this baby run games maxed out? What would be the first upgrade?

Given how well newer hardware seems to hold up I'd say you could get 4 years out of that before you need to spend another dime.

Edit: It's also hard to say what the first upgrade would be since you're running all of the latest hardware. The only thing I could suggest is SSD's.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

That's cool but please don't start a platform war ITT, we get enough of them in the usual game threads. I own consoles as well as a PC probably like many others around here. There are plenty of idiots on all videogame platforms, trust me.

PC games basically sell less copies than consoles. It's almost always been that way too. The unified architecture of consoles makes for a more attractive development target. They have billion dollar corporations backing them. It's not hard to see why consoles are successful. The PC tends to do pretty well in it's own right and digital distribution has essentially revitalized what was almost a dying industry. Indie development is seeing a big upswing on the PC as well.

The companies who go lazy and treat the platform poorly tend to do poorly and rightfully so. The companies who treat their consumers well tend to be very successful. The PC is doing fine all things considered, it's in a much better state than I remember 3-4 years ago which was starting to get pretty grim.

It's always nice for me to get my rear end handed to me in an FPS on a console and then play CoD4 or TF2 on my PC and stomp people handily. I'm just flat out better with a mouse and keyboard :)

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Built a new PC last night night. I'm now ready for BF3:

Core i7-2600k @ 3.4Ghz
Asus Sabertooth P67
12 Gigs of DDR3 1600
GTX 580

I've thrown everything I have at this beast and can't get anything to run less than 60 fps.

And of course I nerded it out by making it black and gold

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Manac0r posted:

Nice, is that a dell monitor too? Have you tried running some Directx11 games, Crysis 2 with patches or Witcher 2 (not Dx11) are good testers. But yeah BF3 multiplayer will be silky smooth.

No, I have 2 22" widesreens on a mount. Here's half of the mancave:

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That looks really good, did you paint the front yourself?

Thanks. Yes, It's an Antec 300. I just took the mesh out of the front panel and painted it a metallic gold to match the desk and coffee table.

Dudebro posted:

It looks like a wood panel from that small pic. Which would be somewhat less point-and-laugh.

To each his own. I wanted it to match the furniture. It looks worse in the picture than it does up close.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Joink posted:

I feel like im in the 1990's in this thread and not every gamer has internet.

I feel like you haven't read half of the last few pages and are shitposting and maybe should be reported.

The argument isn't that there's no way to play the game while traveling more than anything, not "I DON'T HAVE INTERNET HURRR"
I have a great connection to the internet at home and at work, but if I wanted to travel somewhere and play the game on the train/plane/boat than I can't because I'm not connected.

It doesn't really bother me personally since I'll only play at home, however I can see where this would piss some people off.

Oh look, more people adding nothing to the discussion!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Essobie posted:

:siren: Something for the OP :siren:

I can't remember where I saw this posted, but given that using dual monitors is something I do both at work and at home, and there are a ton of developers that simply do not take this into account when programming their crappy console ports PC games, I think this utility is just wonderful.

It's called Dual Monitor Tools, and is actually a number of different tools that give you some additional control and usability for altering how your two+ monitor setup works. The utilities do a bunch of different things, but the main one I use it for is this: Locking the mouse to your primary monitor.

Add in a shortcut to toggle locking the cursor to the current display, start up your game, hit the shortcut, and you'll never accidentally click on the desktop (and minimize and/or crash your game session) again.

I use UltraMon, it's more flexible I feel.

Just finished my case swap/rebuild.

In process -

Completed -

It's a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case. This thing is super quiet for how big it is.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 28, 2012

• Locked thread