Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

I have a Dell XPS right now that i have had since the summer of 2005. It has done me well for a long time but it is just not up to snuff with regards to gaming nowadays. I went online and looked at some pre-built systems and the costs are just way to high to justify doing that.

After reading the OP i am thinking of going the "build it yourself" route, however i am a little hesitant to start dropping money on parts. I am comfortable with spending about 1000$ (maybe a little more) but i really wish i had like a check list of what i needed and what are good long lasting components i could fill those slots with.

Any help would be appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the dad farm
Dec 6, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Go to SH/SC, there's a thread there that will basically tell you exactly what to buy. The cost/performance sweet spots for high-quality hardware are around $650 and $1000 so you should be able to get something really nice. Building a system is not hard to do or risky as long as you can follow instructions and not decide to forge ahead on your own when you don't know what you're doing.

Does that list include everything i am going to need to have a fully functional PC?

• Locked thread