Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Master_Odin posted:

As much as I dislike the pattern, it's a quality mouse and I'm happy with my purchase of it so far.

What's people's recommendation for USB based controllers for a solid D-Pad. I've got a 360 controller that I love using for any game that accepts it, but I'd rather play old emulated games for the SNES/NES as well as platformers with an actual D-Pad and not the control sticks on the pad as its D-Pad doesn't really cut it.

For emulation, you can't beat the USB Saturn Pad: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLACK-PC-MAC-USB-CONTROLLER-SEGA-SATURN-/150536071425?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item230ca62901#ht_7362wt_1139

They come dirt cheap and play like a dream. If you have bigger hands or prefer the Xbox bulky controllers for some reason, try the SFIV variantt: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Street-Fighter-FightPad-Ryu/dp/B001M241KU

The latter comes with a turbo if that matters to you (most emulators will let you configure turbo in software), and its a bit heavier. I prefer the Saturn Pad, but I've had some difficulties getting it to work properly on certain emulators--nothing that I couldn't fix with Xpadder but YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I don't want to ignite the gaming laptop debate but I'd just like to remind those of you looking for mobile PC gaming that there is a huge and incredible backlog of older PC games and casuals that will run on as little as a Netbook. Obviously I can't tell you how to spend your money but the high watermark of PC gaming was like ten years ago and people are *still* playing those games--Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate II, Jagged Alliance 2, X-COM, Warcraft III, LucasArts adventure games, the list goes on and on. Granted there's plenty of good stuff coming out for modern systems too, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

This is every COD/wannabe-Marine player's wet dream. But a completely flat circle for a D-Pad? Seriously?

The ideal console pad: every button is "shoot".

Edit:

Tactical Grace posted:

Just getting into Silent Storm, should I play Jagged Alliance or XCOM next?

Emphatically yes.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 19, 2011

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Razer actually made a pretty good non-overpriced mechanical keyboard, but I guess it's hard to gently caress up a basic cherry switch keyboard.

If you're talking about the Black Widow, they hosed it up plenty. I don't care how useful it sounds in theory, never buy a keyboard that has programmable keys on the left side.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

Why are programmable keys a bad thing, if you don't mind me asking?

Well, they aren't super useful if you're already using a launcher (go get a launcher) but it's the placement that's the problem. If you liked fat fingering the windows key in the middle of a game you're going to love accidentally launching word or whatever. Razer's software also got really obnoxious at some point and required you to login to an account to manage device settings.

Edit: check out the keyboard thread, there are plenty of great mechanicals at reasonable price points. It's not that much more expensive to import a Filco or Topre and they'll last forever so it's worth the cost to save up imo. Razer makes a tenkeyless tournament edition mechanical that looks fine too, depending on your tolerance for a bunch of glowing poo poo on your peripherals.

Woozy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 6, 2014

• Locked thread