Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Man Musk posted:

couldn't find the jazz megathread but u.s. classical music makes me want hang up on people without saying goodbye. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFyuOEovTOE&t=30s

Sadly, it died a quiet death: Jazz “Megathread”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Like a month late here because I forgot about this thread, but despite a huge budget and pretty decent ticket sales and donations, the Met is pretty much always in mediocre to terrible financial shape, and (like every house in NYC) very heavily union and those union employees are expensive af. Obviously I'm sympathetic to the people laid off, but I think for the continued financial viability of the met it was probably the right decision, especially since most of their patrons are old/at risk, and whenever theaters are allowed to reopen (and I imagine they will be among the very last places) I would imagine a whole lot of their usual patrons don't show up.

A friend of mine works at the Goodman in Chicago and was telling me about their trials and tribulations, and I hadn't really processed the full impact of the 'rona on live theaters/the performing arts at all. They would love to stream past performances etc. to their season ticketholders and donors, but their agreement with Actor's Equity won't let them without paying royalties they can't really afford right now to the actors, who I am sure need them just as badly. They're trying to fund-raise with no season and 2 shows they've paid for but been unable to perform (and sell tickets too), no idea what/if their season is going to be next yr and oh yeah all their donors' stock portfolios just shrunk by 25%.

It's always hard times for performing arts organizations, but it's really hard times now, so throw them some dollars for making the world a more beautiful and bearable place if you can!

...and that concludes the spring pledge drive here on WVXY, your local public radio and classical music station.

Anyway, I'm listening to Beethoven's String Quartet no. 15 and it's one of my favorite pieces of music, and here is a really great and interesting Goldberg Variations by Sokolov that you can't gt a real damned recording of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RWfJR31XwU&t=8s

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Was listening to the amazing Brahms Cello Sonatas by Jacqueline du Pre last night and this morning Dvorak's Cello Concerto, recalling what an amazing talent she was. And incidentally, coming up during the Beatles' heyday, and the golden age of Rock n Roll.
https://www.amazon.com/Jacqueline-D...ps%2C186&sr=1-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvPza4XosW4

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

There is an incredible recording of her playing something by Haydn? IIRC and it is the prettiest/saddest cello music ever, but I can't remember what it is :(

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There is an incredible recording of her playing something by Haydn? IIRC and it is the prettiest/saddest cello music ever, but I can't remember what it is :(

What you're thinking of may be Disc 3 of the set, I believe, one of these concertos-
Playlist:

[01] - Monn Conc in g Allegro.flac

[02] - Monn Conc in g Adagio.flac

[03] - Monn Conc in g Allegro non tanto.flac

[04] - Haydn Conc in D Allegro moderato.flac

[05] - Haydn Conc in D Adagio.flac

[06] - Haydn Conc in D Rondo Allegro.flac

[07] - Haydn Conc in C Moderato.flac

[08] - Haydn Conc in C Adagio.flac

[09] - Haydn Conc in C Allegro molto.flac

I'm listening to the Concerto in D now, I'd call it rather wistful. The one in C is more rambunctious. You know her life story was an epic tragedy, right?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I don't have a background in music - can't even read sheet music - but piano compositions have really been comforting to me during quarantine. I've been listening to Rachmaninoff's piano sonatas a lot. Does anyone have any recommendation for piano compositions?

Background info would also be helpful. I don't even know where to start :shobon:

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

Brahms Intermezzos are very soothing and nice. Composed near the end of his life, they are some of the most intimate and mature music there is. Best recording IMO is by Glenn Gould, but there are many good ones.

Schumann is also really great. I recommend Fantasie Op. 17 (particularly the last movement). Composed upon Beethoven's death as a hommage to him, but dedicated to Liszt, it's a cornerstone piece for the romantic movement. Best recording is by Pollini, nobody else comes even close.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/richardscheinin/status/1263167084999045120?s=21

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I mean are we talking Bitches Brew Miles or Someday My Prince Will Come Miles? Also what era Beethoven, because I'd think they get down with the presto from op 131. Seeing a lot of holes in this study.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Doc Fission posted:

I don't have a background in music - can't even read sheet music - but piano compositions have really been comforting to me during quarantine. I've been listening to Rachmaninoff's piano sonatas a lot. Does anyone have any recommendation for piano compositions?

Background info would also be helpful. I don't even know where to start :shobon:

Piano has possibly the broadest repertoire of any solo instrument, so there's a huge and diverse range of stuff out there, depending on what you like stylistically. The cornerstones are often considered to be Bach's Well Tempered Clavier and Beethoven's 32 sonatas. The WTC consists of 48 preludes and fuges. They're very much rooted in the baroque style, but each set of 24 has a prelude in fugue in each major and minor key and the works as a whole cover a huge amount of musical ground within those forms.

Beethoven's sonatas showcase his development from the composing purely in the Classical style to the more bombastic, technical middle period stuff which influenced the begininng of Romantic era, to his late era stuff which is no less technical than the middle period but also has more moments of introspection and is probably his most sophisticated era (you can see the same development with some of his other compositions, notably his string quartets ((which are HIGHLY recommended))). Some of my favourites of his 32 are No 21 (Waldstein), No 23 (Appassionata) and the late ones (No 28 onwards), but they are all superb, in truth, and cover so much ground; one of things which makes Beethoven so magnificent is the range of emotions - he can cover the entire human condition in a single work, with stunning articulacy.

Beyond that, most pianists/fans of piano music (myself included) love Chopin. He composed some of the most exquisitely beautiful piano music in history, but his work also veers into heavier and more tempestuous areas at times. I'd particularly recommend looking at his nocturnes and ballades, but again there's gold everywhere you look.

For other romantic repertoire I would also recommend taking a look at Brahms - really any of it, but off the top of my head I'd suggest the intermezzos and rhapsodies.

As you like Rachmaninoff, I'd also recommend looking at his preludes. I learned his Prelude in D major, Op. 23 No. 4 a while back and it's ridiculously beautiful.

There's plenty more one could recommend (Schubert, Schumann, Liszt and many more), but what I've suggested already covers a huge amount of ground, so maybe dip in and see what you like.

Personally, if I could choose just one composer's piano repertoire to take to a desert island it would be Beethoven's.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Doc Fission posted:

Solo Piano music is my favorite classical music to listen to.

If you like Rachmaninoff's piano sonatas, definitely try his piano concertos 2 & 3. Also, try Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues for more good Russian modern music. Look for a good recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (the original solo Piano, not the orchestral rearrangement)... I can recommend Mikhail Pletnev's and Sviatoslav Richter's Sofia Recital.

For Romantic and other later period stuff, I love Ravel's piano works. Generally 2 CD's worth will cover the repertoire, and plenty of pianists have done great recordings. I particularly like Casadesus and Bavouzet.

And Chopin, of course, is a must-listen. Try his Nocturnes, Preludes, Etudes, Polonaises.

For Baroque, try Bach. His French Suites, English Suites, 6 Partitas, Well Tempered Clavier, Inventions & Sinfonias are all awesome. Glenn Gould's recordings are a great place to start.

For Classical period, I absolutely love Mozart's Piano Sonatas. So many of them will be familiar to you already. As a whole, they are probably the piano music I listen to the most. Lots of great entire cycles to choose from, though my current favorite set is Alicia De Larrocha's. Mozart has a lot of wonderful Piano Concertos too.

Beethoven's Piano Sonatas, too:
  • Try Pletnev's recording of the Waldstein, Apassionata, and Moonlight on a single disc.
  • Pollini's Late Piano Sonatas (a 2CD set) is amazing, and includes Beethoven's last 5 sonatas.
  • Youra Guller's No. 31 is one of my favorites.
  • For complete cycles, so many to choose from... the classic recordings (Brendel, Arrau, Fischer) are great, as are some of the more modern recordings (I love Jumppanen's set)

Brahms' Piano Sonatas are great. My absolute favorite Brahms' work is actually his Sonatas for Piano and Violin. Breaks the "solo piano" theme, but as a pianist myself, I appreciate these piano pieces just as much as anything.

Schubert has some great piano sonatas, but I tend to appreciate his piano music when accompanied with his Lieder songs (Die Schone Mullerin, Winterreise), if you enjoy some German classical vocal work. My favorite solo piano Schubert are in the Sviatoslav Richter collections (which also includes amazing Chopin, Lizst, Beethoven, Mussorgsky, and more).

These are some of the ones that come immediate to mind.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

80k posted:

For Classical period, I absolutely love Mozart's Piano Sonatas. So many of them will be familiar to you already. As a whole, they are probably the piano music I listen to the most. Lots of great entire cycles to choose from, though my current favorite set is Alicia De Larrocha's. Mozart has a lot of wonderful Piano Concertos too.

K310 in A minor is my favourite. And one of only two minor key sonatas he wrote!

quote:

[*]Pollini's Late Piano Sonatas (a 2CD set) is amazing, and includes Beethoven's last 5 sonatas.

This is indeed great. I have it complement/complete the wonderful Gilels *almost* complete set, which has a lot of my favourite renditions. I love Richter for Beethoven too, though there are unsurprisingly a lot of wonderful interpreters of Beethoven's 32 sonatas.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

This is indeed great. I have it complement/complete the wonderful Gilels *almost* complete set, which has a lot of my favourite renditions. I love Richter for Beethoven too, though there are unsurprisingly a lot of wonderful interpreters of Beethoven's 32 sonatas.

Richter is my favorite for Beethoven, as well. His recordings are so scattered throughout different collections, and often out of print, that it's hard to recommend them. My favorite of his is the late Beethoven sonatas he did in the Historic Russian Archives - Sviatoslav Richter in Concert 5CD set. Out of print now, and I know those recordings are available elsewhere. I just can't get enough of those last few sonatas he did... I always go back to Richter, Pollini, and the Guller.

The Youra Guller recording is available on Youtube. The CD, coupled with No. 32 is worth hunting down.

80k fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 23, 2020

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

80k posted:

Richter is my favorite for Beethoven, as well. His recordings are so scattered throughout different collections, and often out of print, that it's hard to recommend them. My favorite of his is the late Beethoven sonatas he did in the Historic Russian Archives - Sviatoslav Richter in Concert 5CD set. Out of print now, and I know those recordings are available elsewhere. I just can't get enough of those last few sonatas he did... I always go back to Richter, Pollini, and the Guller.

The Youra Guller recording is available on Youtube. The CD, coupled with No. 32 is worth hunting down.

Oh my lanta. That Guller recording is sublime!

Oh, as for bombastic piano works, I have to recommend Cecile Ousset's rendition of the Edvard Grieg's Piano Concerto No.1 with the LSO and Sir Neville Marriner. It's incredible https://open.spotify.com/album/7wRr9uodSm3jf3cDbgEBj7?si=7HlHTQvaR9actUoquKClEw . A search for it on youtube will bring up the individual movements too if Spotify isn't your thing.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 23, 2020

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is this too modern?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78N2SP6JFaI

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Lately I've been spending a lot of time on The Netherlands Bach Society's Youtube page. They post a lot of high quality recordings and often with accompanying artist interviews which are quite good. Their recording of the B Minor mass is the one that doesn't use a chorus but assigns each chorus part to a single singer. I know it doesn't capture the tidal waves of sound that can be created with a larger choir (especially in the big movements like the Kyrie, Gloria, Dona Nobis Pacem) but I think it makes up for it with the clarity of the voicing and the quality of each performer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FLbiDrn8IE&t=2s

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I've been listening again to the EMI collection by Jacqueline du Pre' lately. 16 or 17 cd's. Christ, what a talent she was.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I listened to some of Handel's operas today at work- 'Giulio Cesare' and 'Alcina'-and they were very pleasant. Any others in particular I should investigate?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Hieronymus Bosch Naked Bum Music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnrICy3Bc2U

Quite beautiful, would program it with Mozart's Leck Mich Im Arsch for a nice evening of butt music.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
no loving double meanings. i fuckin mean it.

Give me all the most kickin' tracks, works, pieces, i desperately want any and all rockin' pieces in A minor.

its been my favorite key my whole life and i wud love you forever for anything you think is good in A minor.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

That Spooky Witch posted:

no loving double meanings. i fuckin mean it.

Give me all the most kickin' tracks, works, pieces, i desperately want any and all rockin' pieces in A minor.

its been my favorite key my whole life and i wud love you forever for anything you think is good in A minor.

Mozart K310

One of only two piano sonatas he wrote in a minor key, and one of his best. It was written around the time his mother died, so is somewhat more tempestuous and full of angst and lament than many of his others.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Mozart K310

One of only two piano sonatas he wrote in a minor key, and one of his best. It was written around the time his mother died, so is somewhat more tempestuous and full of angst and lament than many of his others.

:h:

edit: really rockin' out to this, i fuckin' _knew_ mozart had more to offer me

edit2: so calamitous. exactly one of the may things that A Minor is so so so good for. Good one!

:h:

That Spooky Witch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 4, 2020

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Mahler 6 and Sibelius 4. Neither really “rock”, but they’re both solid.

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

solid

less than a minute in, and this is A Minor gold

edit1: so modern

edit2: simply asking, has yielded beyond what I could hope for. thank you two :h:

edit3: this isn't just solid, it is hot.

XBenedict posted:

Sibelius 4.

Spirit temple from zelda64. further thoughts await.

edit1: valkyries. :h:

edit2: loss and rebirth yet simultaneously

edit3: I have never heard of Sibelius before. Thank you, kind one.

edit4: gently caress that shelob poo poo, LoTR's soundtrack for shelob has nothing on this

edit 5: nor does vivaldi's spring

edit6: allegro molte vivace esta very good. climaxis every ten seconds

edit 7: intrigue. very spicy. transcendent as of yet; il temo largo

edit8: rising and subtle, in a way I've never heard before. tremendous.

edit9: Modern(I'm guessing...?) done right.

edit10: BELLS!!! BELLS IN A MINOR!!! !!! !!! :h:

edit11: nor does star wars bullshit, this is primo

edit12: the intense 'coda'(?) is very good on Sibelus' part.

thank you :h:

That Spooky Witch fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 4, 2020

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
My favorite A Minor btw...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spUT-2tU2Yk

...if I'm not completely missing it....

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My dude... do I ever have something good for you... Grieg Piano Concerto played by Cecile Ousset

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0DVjnzkbt9i76MkqX1ghgW?si=Q5bsZJjBSkKn_nRmdSz02g

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

Mederlock posted:

My dude... do I ever have something good for you... Grieg Piano Concerto played by Cecile Ousset

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0DVjnzkbt9i76MkqX1ghgW?si=Q5bsZJjBSkKn_nRmdSz02g

oh... oh my~~<3

edit: Allegro moderato molto e marcato is so good

That Spooky Witch fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 4, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I've been listening to some Mozart horn concertos and they are great. I could really just listen to Mozart for forever.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've been listening to some Mozart horn concertos and they are great. I could really just listen to Mozart for forever.

I love the Mozart horn concerto no.2 the best. It's just so rowdy and upbeat and I love it :v: . I even went and learned it on my British style Tenor(alto) Horn.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Hello all, classical noob here with no sort of musical training or ability, but i have been for a few years now clicking around aimlessly looking for some kind of classical music that would 'grab' me.

What I have found so far is that I really love cello, and that I like violin and piano, and that if there are any more than 3 instruments at once it is exponentially less interesting to me. After clicking on various cello performances I found this, which I absolutely love and have listened too probably a dozen times now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y7eMee_GYA&ab_channel=Peter2.0

I love how dramatic, melancholy and mysterious it is, and am hoping for other suggestions. I have since looked for other things played by Lynn harrell, and have enjoyed some Dmitri Shostakovitch, but really I'm just fumbling around in the dark through this huge expanse of stuff with no idea what to click, because i literally know nothing about any of it so don't even know if there is a specific time period or 'genre' or whatever that i should focus on.

any kind of suggestions or direction is appreciated!

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

derp posted:

any kind of suggestions or direction is appreciated!
Check out more russian late romantic stuf, eg Medtner
https://youtu.be/bUICE6Yq9e8
https://youtu.be/kchY7fUq_Ag

And piano trios more generally
https://youtu.be/TPQTQcXXc-M
https://youtu.be/0elEVa3Qxfg

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 7, 2021

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You'll definitely want to check out the Dvorak cello concerto if you haven't already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcb4dAvpOIs

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
thanks guys! good stuff. I am also enjoying the Brahms trios

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Saint-Saens has a good amount of cello works, and it's basically all great. This is a very good disc (Naxos stuff is available streaming as well)

https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.573737

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Check out the Beethoven cello sonatas. Unsurprisingly they're great.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPhkZW_jwc0

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

She was an astonishing talent. I have her 17 disc set and it's a treasure.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Piano Sonatas. I'm digging Schubert and Beethoven.

What else do people like?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thpa0M2SCaU Here ya go. Sublime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dilandau
Apr 30, 2021

algebra testes posted:

For some background on Beethoven's piano sonatas, you might check out Schiff's lecture series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ZWPJlNSXM