Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Mambold posted:

They each did God's work, as each immensely enriched humanity with their own work. Which is perhaps infinitely ironic considering each one was utterly dissolute as a person. Maybe that should give you an idea of God's sense of humor as well.....

You mention their personalities, and besides watching Amadeus, which seems exaggerated, I know nothing about them. What kind of stories can you tell to illustrate your point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

Tiresias2
May 31, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Stringent posted:

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

That sounds wonderful.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I know the mandolin is an underused instrument in the classical world, but I've been playing for a year and a half and in the meantime have discovered some wonderful stuff. I'd just like to share, in case anyone's never come across it, Chris Thile's fantastic renditions of Bach sonatas and partitas. My father, who's been head of R&D at a Conservatoire in Switzerland for 16 years and was elected VP of the AEC at some point, had never heard of him and now it's one of his favourite Bach renditions (possibly only beaten out by Grumiaux).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3lH_Tevw5o

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes please, more music, less weird philosphical rambling about rating composers like a pitchfork satire.

Re: mandolins I really like Avi Avital, I think he's doing a lot for the instruments popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJ0bsyIryc

He has done some baroque standards like Vivaldi and Bach, but a lot of completely different music as well, from contemporary works to eastern european folk music. Lots of cool stuff.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

cebrail posted:

Yes please, more music, less weird philosphical rambling about rating composers like a pitchfork satire.

Re: mandolins I really like Avi Avital, I think he's doing a lot for the instruments popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OJ0bsyIryc

He has done some baroque standards like Vivaldi and Bach, but a lot of completely different music as well, from contemporary works to eastern european folk music. Lots of cool stuff.

Bucimis is all kinds of fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLV1i-fVsk4

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I've been in a Philip Glass kick lately. I get all the criticism that he just plays a bunch of arpeggios seven hundred times, but it's good working music. Any recommendations for a next composer I should check out to either get more of that, or the "pfff Glass is overrated, __________ is so much better"?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

They use one of his clarinet sonatas for the hold music at a medical insurance company we work with and it actually makes me like calling them.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcK_VSzsv1s

edit 2: it's bitterly ironic that this is the music they use at a company that treats dying people

He utilizes the clarinet better than almost any other composer.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

SgtScruffy posted:

I've been in a Philip Glass kick lately. I get all the criticism that he just plays a bunch of arpeggios seven hundred times, but it's good working music. Any recommendations for a next composer I should check out to either get more of that, or the "pfff Glass is overrated, __________ is so much better"?

I prefer Steve Reich to Phil Glass.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I haven't found anyone to beat Philip Glass for me yet, but some of Riley's works come close, particularly Rainbow In Curved Air and Embroidery, less for the hardcore minimalism and more for the raga vibes (see also the unbelievably grimy original version of G Song). There's something about Glass's sound that's so richly emotional to me that I've rarely seen anywhere else, and honestly if anyone knows anyone similar I'd be all over it. The endless ascending notes of Satyagraha's evening song, the burning hymnal of the Koyaanisqatsi finale, the eerie, alien patterns of Bed all have something I've always wanted more of, like Bach on acid.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
If you like Phil Glass, you may also like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uO47Q158XAo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjyKuEBVFX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3iD2NgNvt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5LHOkuP8wE

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Philip rear end!!

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

I posted some stuff from this guy on the last page, but I think this stuff is directly in line with what you want:

Simeon Ten Holt - Palimpsest

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Brad Mehldau just released a new album of Bach pieces, by the way... Its interesting hearing a jazz vibe on baroque pieces. Very cool.

https://youtu.be/38RAV0tqvvg

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I like Terry Riley a lot and this isn't really classical at all but I love it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75QFsgDMHDM

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

Glass is not overrated. See also:

Reich, Steve
Richter, Max
Adams, John
Riley, Terry
Part, Arvo

If you're into it, the Kronos Quartet did a great album of Phillip Glass compositions.

This is Pro-level Reich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJWO2FQ16c

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Calling back to an earlier thread:

A while back, there were a series of posts about Classical streaming services. One of the ones that I recommended, Grammofy.com, used to be a premium service not worth it's money because what you get each week is a curated set of compositions, with audio history and curation about the pieces. It's a very nice service, but because you got so little content, it wasn't worth the money. As a result, they ceased operation at the end of 2017.

Well, they're back, and in a more useful way. Their service is now (technically) free. You can access the curations at Grammofy.com. This time, instead of a premium service, it acts as an overlay for PREMIUM Spotify accounts.

If you're a premium Spotify user, I highly recommend giving it a whirl.

Fake Edit: For now, this is web only. They plan on rereleasing their app soon, as soon as they've made the necessary changes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

XBenedict posted:

Well, they're back, and in a more useful way. Their service is now (technically) free. You can access the curations at Grammofy.com. This time, instead of a premium service, it acts as an overlay for PREMIUM Spotify accounts.

So, basically, Spotify except it filters out the garbage "Relaxing Classical For Your Baby" compilations?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jan posted:

So, basically, Spotify except it filters out the garbage "Relaxing Classical For Your Baby" compilations?

Nothing wrong with Chopin

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

In reference to those kind of playlists and casual uses for classical music, are you guys in the "well I guess it's better than nothing" camp? It seems to be something that comes up in any area of interest that can be taken seriously. For example, I love reading and don't love Dan Brown novels, a lot of people do though and don't read much else, but hey, it's better than no books at all right?

Maybe you've had this conversation a few times, as I did in class a few weeks ago:

Her: 'What kind of music do you like?'

Me: 'I like classical music.'

Her: 'Oh my god, I love classical music! I can't get enough of it.'

Me (already hearing church bells at this point and considering whether it would be better to have white roses or red ones at our reception): 'Oh that's great, which composers do you listen to?'

Her: 'Oh I usually just put on one of those relaxing classical videos on YouTube for when I'm studying or just need to chill.'

Me: 'Oh...good, that's good, nice.'

I realise it's quite naive to think that your interest, one interest out of thousands, is the greatest interest and the thing that everyone should be interested in it because you just so happen to be. People can get happiness out of whatever they are interested in and so your interest is not necessarily greater than theirs. But drat, it's such a shame to see so many people getting so little out of something that can be so fantastically amazing.

krampster2 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 20, 2018

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

There's nothing wrong with it, but there's also nothing right with it. When people only use music as background noise to drown out the silence there aren't really any aesthetic consequences.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My go to music for essay writing was always Gershwin, especially Rhapsody in Blue. I loved typing out critical theory to the piano rhythm.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Jan posted:

It's a bit more than that. The service groups together several compositions based around a loose theme. Each piece then has a narrated sort of history/meaning of the composition or "about the composer" type of thing.

For Instance, the latest collection of pieces is "Heroes".

Grammofy.com posted:

This week we give you Heroes, and in all musical shapes and sizes. Firstly ‘Hero's Song’, the final of Dvorak's five symphonic poems, which has been suggested as being autobiographical but we suspect not. From there we move to Benjamin Britten's ‘Ballad of Heroes’ for orchestra, choir and vocal soloists; composed in 1939, this was a pacifist work that trailed ahead to his angry ‘War Requiem’ of 1962 whilst being immensely powerful in its own right, not least for its timing just months before the start of the Second World War. As a result, Philip Glass's “Heroes” Symphony No 4 makes for quite a contrast coming off the back of it, because this 1996 work is based on the experimental 1977 album of the same name by David Bowie and Brian Eno. From there we move to Glazunov's ‘To the Memory of a Hero’, a teenage orchestral work which nevertheless saw him treading his own stylistic path, and finally to Chopin's rousing “Heroic” Polonaise for the piano. So from piano solo to orchestral and choral, and all moods from grieving to angry to triumphant, we feel we've got heroes pretty covered here. We hope you agree!

It's a pretty good discovery engine for lesser known composers.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I just sang Mahler 2 and that cadence at the end is loving massive, Goddamn.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

zenguitarman posted:

mahler 2 is life. how are u still living?

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 6, 2018

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

zenguitarman posted:

I'll be singing it next year, I've never been so happy to participate in a piece where I'll have to sit on stage and do nothing for 4 movements.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Kind of looking for some new music to listen to. Does anyone have any recommendations similar to Rachmaninoff? His Pianoconcerto No. 2 is quite possibly my favorite work of music ever and I've been listening to it for years and still get choked up (and concertos 3 and 4 are great, too) and I really like Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, but I really haven't explored too much of his work beyond those or anyone in the same vein of his style.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Nothing like Rachmaninoff, but I've been bingeing on Hummel lately. Kind of the halfway point between Mozart and Chopin, good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYr7z1RYgaM

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Matsuri posted:

Kind of looking for some new music to listen to. Does anyone have any recommendations similar to Rachmaninoff? His Pianoconcerto No. 2 is quite possibly my favorite work of music ever and I've been listening to it for years and still get choked up (and concertos 3 and 4 are great, too) and I really like Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, but I really haven't explored too much of his work beyond those or anyone in the same vein of his style.

If you like the lush late-romantic sound you might enjoy the tone poems of Richard Strauss. Can't get more gushy than something like Don Juan or the suite from Der Rosenkavalier.

As for Rachmaninoff, if you haven't heard them yet, make sure to check out the Symphonic Dances and Isle of the Dead. Really solid orchestral works.

Mahler fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 8, 2018

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Matsuri posted:

Some of these recommendations are probably pretty obvious, but hopefully you'll find something new you like in this:

• Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 1. Kinda duh, I like it a lot but it's not his most popular concerto.
  • Mahler - Symphonies. In particular I'd recommend 1, 2, 5, and 6. They're all wonderful and unique in their own way, but I'd say those are most accessible.
  • Mendelssohn - Violin Concerto in E Minor
  • Holst - The Planets. A little more modern but a timeless and widely loved classic.
  • Dvorak - Symphony No. 9. You'll probably recognize parts of this.
  • Scriabin - Etudes Op. 8. No. 12 in particular.
  • Prokofiev - Piano Concerto No. 3. Also more modern, but very accessible

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Sorry for the lateness, but I have listened to a bunch of these and I have enjoyed them quite a bit. Much thanks!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

Calling back to an earlier thread:

A while back, there were a series of posts about Classical streaming services. One of the ones that I recommended, Grammofy.com, used to be a premium service not worth it's money because what you get each week is a curated set of compositions, with audio history and curation about the pieces. It's a very nice service, but because you got so little content, it wasn't worth the money. As a result, they ceased operation at the end of 2017.

If you're a premium Spotify user, I highly recommend giving it a whirl.

Fake Edit: For now, this is web only. They plan on rereleasing their app soon, as soon as they've made the necessary changes.

I just have to say that this service is *loving* awweessoommmeee. Their curation is absolutely excellent. I've followed it for several months and have been very happy with it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mederlock posted:

I just have to say that this service is *loving* awweessoommmeee. Their curation is absolutely excellent. I've followed it for several months and have been very happy with it.

Aha, I think I was waiting for this to become available in my country but that never happened.

How do they make money now that they're completely free though? I'm always suspicious of free stuff because most of the time that means they either spam me with penis enlargement ads or sell my information to russian hackers, or both.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

uXs posted:

Aha, I think I was waiting for this to become available in my country but that never happened.

How do they make money now that they're completely free though? I'm always suspicious of free stuff because most of the time that means they either spam me with penis enlargement ads or sell my information to russian hackers, or both.

My guess is that since you have to be a Spotify Premium subscriber, maybe they get some kind of Payola from Spotify.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

What's a good Schoenberg to listen to if I've only heard his operas

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

For his still kind of romantic, rooted in tonality early life: Gurre-Lieder
For the abandonment of tonality: String Quartet no 2
For twelve-tone music: Two Piano Pieces op. 33

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Throw in Verklärte Nacht and Pierrot lunaire while you're at it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
My dad told me about hearing a JC Bach piece played by a Franco-Serbian violinist. He didn't know the name, I googled, and found this guy Nemanja Radulovic. I listened to him playing the D Minor Chaconne with his ensemble backup and I think my jaw literally dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SmA3jyzFOw

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've just finished Bach and the High Baroque on audible (btw audible.co.uk has a 2-for-1 on Great Courses books and there's a huge section on opera, Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and a few smaller books on modern classical, Brahms, Mahler, etc. - I've waxed lyrical already about 'How to Listen To, and Appreciate Great Music' audiobook here) and I'm really happy that I decided to pick it. The timbre of the harpsichord and the polyphonal nature of Baroque music made it quite opaque to me, but the lectures let me find appreciation in that, and led onto some fantastic in-depth study of the Goldberg variations and the St. Matthew Passion.

It comes with a wordscore which highlights salient points about the music, and one of the most useful things I've found on YouTube are annotated symphonies which I can map to what I've learned to appreciate better. I don't quite yet have the ear to even find really where I am in a piece (the Goldbergs notwithstanding due to their cyclical nature) so having that there was really nice. It's a shame there is no equivalent for the St. Matthew Passion or really much with the Goldbergs other than chapter markings. Maybe that's a function of it being a period studied in less depth than those which followed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Matsuri posted:

Sorry for the lateness, but I have listened to a bunch of these and I have enjoyed them quite a bit. Much thanks!

Awesome! Can't believe I forgot to mention this, but absolutely check out Tchaikovsky, in particular his first Piano Concerto and Symphony No. 6.

Also, I was wandering around town last week and ran into a violinist playing Bach's Chaconne. Figured you guys would appreciate that. :)