Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

this is amazing, thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Could I get some good recommendations for slow relaxing harp music albums to listen to while studying?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Trickortreat posted:

Could I get some good recommendations for slow relaxing harp music albums to listen to while studying?

It's not Harp but I can recommend Andrei Krylov. I like this album https://open.spotify.com/album/2B20SrvgDoXlkDgfasyKMG?si=9sTFAbp_Txy0BtJUEBYFRA&utm_source=copy-link

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(if you want some other records I'd recommend, try out Igo Pogorelic's "Gaspard de la Nuit" on Deutsche Grammophon, Pollini's 1972 recording of Chopin etudes on Deutsche Grammophon, and the original ECM version of Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians").

aww heck, I have Igo Pogorelic's Gaspard de la Nuit on vinyl! It's such a wild suite. "Ondine" is everything I love about Ravel--the sound is so textured and rhythmic, but there's a through-line that feels like it floats and dances through the complexities. "Le Gibet" reminds me of Debussy's "Sunken Cathedral," except the tone is more somber and hopeless, less mysterious and lush and grand. In Le Gibet, it somehow sounds like the air is open in the piece, there's this space between the notes, that makes it feel like being lost in a hopelessly vast desert. It's very like, tonal and and atmospheric and not super melodic, similar to Sunken Cathedral, but it doesn't have the heavy resonant breathing of Sunken Cathedral. It instead has a bit more of that light, delicate touch with a quick decay that makes me think of ripples quickly fading away on the surface of water.

I feel like I should love "Scarbo" because it's about a little chaos goblin fuckin around at night, but it's just so dark and anxious it makes me feel like there's an axe murderer somewhere in the house.

I need to listen to more of the contemporary/postmodernists(?) like Steve Reich, John Cage, and Phillip Glass. I've only dipped my toes into that pool.

edit: the thing I really wasn't expecting when going on my classical music journey is how the key defining word I'd use to describe classical music is "wild." But I really don't know what else to say. It's crazy to me that, just to use Gaspard de la Nuit as an example, that a suite could have 3 pieces that sound so radically different from one another. And when I think of "bold" contemporary music, I guess I'd think of bands like Radiohead, or some metal or postrock bands. But a lot of this classical music, especially some of the 1900s French pieces I've listened to, can be so dark and frightening and despairing. Or with something like the "Lever du Jour" from Daphnis et Chloe, or "La Valse," the music just goes all-in so hard, like there's nothing it holding back.

It's just crazy to hear something like La Valse have such sweeping and sweet waltz sections that get disrupted by chaos. Or Brahms' Intermezzo in E-Flat Minor with the dies irae motif, which just sounds so inky and dark and drowning. I just wouldn't have thought of classical music as a place for such intense and difficult emotions to be expressed so deeply and richly. I had this misconception that most of classical music was preoccupied with being "nice," but upon closer inspection, these dead composers were gnarly and committed to sucking the marrow out of life. It freakin rules.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 5, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
reich/glass/adams are generally considered minimalists. "post-modern" is predictably hard to define but a pretty common element is polystylism. Schnittke and Rzewski loved doing this - if you like piano stuff, I really recommend Rzewski's "North American Ballads" (the 4th, "Winnsboro Cotton Mill Blues" gets recorded pretty frequently and has amazing use of tone color), and especially "The People United will Never be Defeated!" which also gets recorded a lot. Igor Levit did a very well-regarded version of that, which he paired on a disc with the Bach's Goldberg Variations and Beethoven's Diabelli Variations (like those two, it's a theme-and-variations work), but my favorite is Rzewski's own recording on Hat Art from 1992. It's the one with the abstract painting on the cover, he did a later one in a box set which wasn't as good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cephas posted:

edit: the thing I really wasn't expecting when going on my classical music journey is how the key defining word I'd use to describe classical music is "wild." But I really don't know what else to say. It's crazy to me that, just to use Gaspard de la Nuit as an example, that a suite could have 3 pieces that sound so radically different from one another. And when I think of "bold" contemporary music, I guess I'd think of bands like Radiohead, or some metal or postrock bands. But a lot of this classical music, especially some of the 1900s French pieces I've listened to, can be so dark and frightening and despairing. Or with something like the "Lever du Jour" from Daphnis et Chloe, or "La Valse," the music just goes all-in so hard, like there's nothing it holding back.

well that kind of thing was big in the late 18th/early 19th late-romantic era, but you're also dealing with abstract music. there might be an explicit program like Gaspard or a Strauss tone poem, but all the expression has to be done musically.

Cephas posted:

Le Gibet" reminds me of Debussy's "Sunken Cathedral," except the tone is more somber and hopeless, less mysterious and lush and grand. In Le Gibet, it somehow sounds like the air is open in the piece, there's this space between the notes, that makes it feel like being lost in a hopelessly vast desert.

try out -

Ives - The Unanswered Question (1908, rev. 1935)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3iBiQ90BXM

and while the Berlioz Requiem is my "favorite" funeral mass, and it's especially worth listening to if you like stuff that's expressive to the point of near vulgarity in a good way, Berlioz used that kind of tonal space in the Hostias where he had chords played by flutes and trombones, which was an extremely unusual use of orchestral color at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RSSjmgU6_Q

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I used to have this album a long time ago but sadly misplaced it. Been trying to find it online for ages but couldn't remember the artist or title. Finally found it, and it's just as good as I remember. Amazing voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xtY6M_umHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh5ihriAjuU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Ya'll should see Tar. It has some flaws but Kate Blanchett is amazing as a superstar problematic conductor and it's overflowing with super dorky classical music/conductor/recording reference. Hopefully this starts a trend of more films that thoroughly discuss the appropriate length of slow movements.

only real complaint is that when she puts the trumpet player off stage for Mahler 5 she doesn't mention that it was a technique Mahler himself used in other pieces—which she'd obviously know about as someone who recorded them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah there's a character who's a clear reference to Gilbert Kaplan which is a really inside-baseball classical drama reference lol

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Ok, this seems like the best thread to ask this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWQ1gGRYeWM&t=879s
This is Michael Chabon reading a children's book called "A Great Big Ugly Man Came Up and Tied His Horse to Me". It's a weird old book, illustrated by Wallace Tripp, who dearly loved a reference and an in-joke. At the time stamp Chabon is showing an illustration of people he refers to as "Powerful men" being entertained by a jester. However the men shown are pretty obviously caricatures of British classical composers, Ralph Vaughn Williams, Edward Elgar, and third whom I can't identify. Who is the third person?

yaffle fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 25, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hubert "Jerusalem" Parry, maybe?

e) someone else suggested Adrian Boult, better known as a conductor

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 25, 2022

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BWV posted:

Ya'll should see Tar. It has some flaws but Kate Blanchett is amazing as a superstar problematic conductor and it's overflowing with super dorky classical music/conductor/recording reference. Hopefully this starts a trend of more films that thoroughly discuss the appropriate length of slow movements.

only real complaint is that when she puts the trumpet player off stage for Mahler 5 she doesn't mention that it was a technique Mahler himself used in other pieces—which she'd obviously know about as someone who recorded them

Releases Jan 18, 2023. It looks like a fascinating film. Did you already catch it in one of the select theaters?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

Releases Jan 18, 2023. It looks like a fascinating film. Did you already catch it in one of the select theaters?

Had no idea it wasn't in mass release yet. I caught it at a smaller theatre in Toronto (Varsity). Only 30 other people were there including one guy who was AGGRESSIVELY snoring. It really is so filled with hyperspecific references that I felt bad for the people I brought but they said they liked it anyway.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

BWV posted:

Had no idea it wasn't in mass release yet. I caught it at a smaller theatre in Toronto (Varsity). Only 30 other people were there including one guy who was AGGRESSIVELY snoring. It really is so filled with hyperspecific references that I felt bad for the people I brought but they said they liked it anyway.

The AGGRESSIVE SNORER sounds like a Seinfeld character who didn't make the cut.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hubert "Jerusalem" Parry, maybe?

e) someone else suggested Adrian Boult, better known as a conductor

I think it's Boult, thanks

Bile
May 13, 2003
been on these lately

carl p.e. bach a minor flute concerto - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCc8cUq0Jj4

carl p.e. bach a major concerto - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGIIBkmFW0U, https://open.spotify.com/track/6HYfPVgW2hzbqbgmAlXNoT?si=112d00e526e3431c

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
CPE Bach FTW

i think the only composer to match him on the ratio of "historically important and influential" versus "barely anything in the standard rep" is Gluck

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
drat good disc....

https://www.naxos.com/CatalogueDetail/?id=8.553285

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bile
May 13, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

CPE Bach FTW

i think the only composer to match him on the ratio of "historically important and influential" versus "barely anything in the standard rep" is Gluck

listening to gluck overture for iphigine and aulide for first time.. i agree. very cool. kind of for comparable reasons. both born in 1714. def a big influence on other composers who were in the know, but, yea, you hardly see concerts for them

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

You have sold me on C.P.E. Bach

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
He also has some truly lovely solo baroque flute/recorder sonatas, check out Sonata in A minor for Solo Flute, Wq. 132.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone help ive gotten hooked on listening to multiple different versions of mahler 2

(klemperer on EMI is the best one so far)

Feels Villeneuve posted:

CPE Bach FTW

thought about this a bit more and other contenders on the (historically influential/not in the standard rep) scale outside of early music are most French Grand Opera guys (e.g. Meyerbeer, Cherubini) and maaaaaaybe Weber.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 15, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

maaaaaaybe Weber.

~spooky~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HysUA8wx7UM

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think Weber is mainly known for that and the clarinet concerti which anyone who seriously learns clarinet is expected to perform at some point

i've heard an argument that Weber dying young was as much of a tragedy as any others like Mozart or Schubert, because he was just starting to show significant artistic growth in the area of romanticism, especially in his operas, and that we might have been robbed of a mature period for him.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

interesting on spotify that the most popular Weber tracks are from a violin sonata. I'm assuming it's because they're in some popular classical playlist.

I agree that music history missed out big time from Weber's early death.

also John Cage may count as a composer who's far more influential than his representation the Repertoire would suggest

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i tend not to count modern guys there because practically nobody after like, Shostakovich is in the "standard rep" but yeah. i'm not a huge Cage guy but basically every post-war composer I like was either influenced by Cage or studied directly under him lol

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 15, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I think with modern / contemporary works it's easier to identify specific works as standard rep, rather than the necessarily composer themselves. Short Ride in a Fast Machine, Adagio for Strings, Graceful Ghost, come to mind first as extremely well represented in concerts and on the radio

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's a lot of well-known minimalist stuff but one problem is that they frequently require very specific ensembles or instruments so they can't really be fit on the same concert program that you'd do like, Brahms 4 on

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

contemporary composers can be so gimmicky with their scoring, yeah. pain in the rear end if you ask me (even though some of it is really good)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

contemporary composers can be so gimmicky with their scoring, yeah. pain in the rear end if you ask me (even though some of it is really good)

Here's an Ives composition that requires two keyboards, one tuned up or down a quarter tone lol. I cannot imagine more of a pain in the rear end for a piano tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izFgt2tZ0Oc

It actually sounds great. Kind of reminds me of VHS audio warping on rented tapes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone's got to keep the ondes-martenot in production, we need to keep performing the turangalia symphonie

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
then again historical instruments people love making weird poo poo, someone reproduced the lira organizatta which is some horrific combination of organ and hurdy-gurdy that had a few concerti written for it by Haydn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VYSj1eHcM

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

doing an arvo part piece in orchestra next month, any suggestions so i can "get" this guy?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

then again historical instruments people love making weird poo poo, someone reproduced the lira organizatta which is some horrific combination of organ and hurdy-gurdy that had a few concerti written for it by Haydn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5VYSj1eHcM

I love it! Those guys demo'ing love it!! Thank you for this.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

ferroque posted:

doing an arvo part piece in orchestra next month, any suggestions so i can "get" this guy?

skim this article on Tintinnabuli and check out "Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten" and his "Magnificat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4NY3iXMBTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KImKBJ1jQfU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

I love it! Those guys demo'ing love it!! Thank you for this.

if you want a lot more content like this, check out the Early Music Sources Channel

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

ferroque posted:

Get slightly inebriated or high and listen to Passio Domini nostri Jesu Christi secundum Joannem on high volume

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

webcams for christ posted:

if you want a lot more content like this, check out the Early Music Sources Channel

Wonderful, TY.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Arvo Pärt is wonderful, have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Peggotty posted:

Get slightly inebriated or high and listen to Passio Domini nostri Jesu Christi secundum Joannem on high volume

Seconding this, but you gotta listen to the whole thing in one sitting. No cheating. It's Jesu Christi, after all.