Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Can you guys recommend me some classical music that's good for ear training and theory training?

I understand that good classical pieces always have a lot going on, but something like "listen to the chord progression in THIS part of the song" would be really helpful for me.

I have a pretty basic understanding of theory (intervals, chords, scales, chord progressions) but past that I haven't got much, and I don't have much ear training either. Anything you guys suggest would be helpful! I'm learning to play the piano, if that affects anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

I've been listening to a lot, a lot of Piazzolla. This might apply to a lot of artists (?) perhaps but I really enjoy his mix of melody and dissonance as well as his fun sense of timing and tempo. I also listen to some classically-inspired metal if that helps at all.

Anyways I was hoping for some more recommendations along this line? The Rachmaninoff posted earlier was really good. If someone could make a few specific recommendations of Rachmaninoff's work, that'd be great - dude just has a huge body of work and I don't know where to start! Same for Stravinsky - I've got Rites of Spring, but other than that I'm lost.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

just wanted to throw out these videos because i loving love these things!! hell yeah visual representations of music that aren't just a score (as great as a traditional score is it's just not the same)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXHMzSOK5c

these videos are basically orgasms on demand. imo

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 27, 2011

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

And now, for something probably a little different:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHUMT9EvVbo

What kind of music starts at 6:30 into this video? It feels very tango or latin to me. Where do I go to find out more? I have been listening to an enormous amount of Piazzolla, if that shows you where my tastes are.