Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

fuf posted:

Hello old thread.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book (or maybe a documentary series?) that explains the basic concepts behind classical music and especially Baroque music?

I'm reading a book about Leibniz's philosophy and the author has a torturous analogy to Baroque music, so I need to know what stuff like 'Basso continuo' means, and also more basic stuff like harmony and counterpoint.

I want a 'mid-level' kind of book: I don't really know anything about music theory but I'm not an idiot and I'm prepared to put some effort in.

Watch the four-part BBC documentary How Music Works. It doesn't explain everything, but it covers the basics in a really engaging way.

I have that series to thank for introducing me to Vaughan Williams. My 30 CD set, with everything he's ever done, just came in the mail today, and I spent three hours ripping it. I'm now ready to settle into musical bliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Argh, I know. I say "Argh" because it's just taken me another hour to find it and rename half of them, parsing the stupid crap people have inputted into iTunes. I eventually found that one searching via. runtime. It would have taken me three times longer to name them all manually as I ripped them though.

Ok, NOW I can settle into musical bliss.

Seriously though, buy this freaking set. You won't find a better Vaughan Williams collection anywhere. It's amazing.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 13, 2012