Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
I guess the one thing about classical music is that the interpretation of a piece is very important, so serious aficionados are more like "I enjoy piece X by composer Y, as performed by artist Z" rather than just a song itself.

Whereas in other types of music, "interpretation" usually means improvisation by adding your own notes, accompaniment, or rhythm, interpretation in classical music usually involves -execution. This means little things like phrasing -- in other words, playing this next note just a little softer, making these series of notes just slightly more flowy/smoother, holding onto this note for a millionth of a beat longer, and so on. These little differences and details all add up. In other words, classical music "connoisseurs" are basically huge snobs.

As for recommendations:
Brahms Requiem (starts here for the full thing) -- Someone suggested this but might have gotten lost above. I'm probably partial to this because we did this in university choir, but Brahms is pretty awesome in general. The first part starts out a bit slow, though, but give it a few.
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 -- Personal favorite. Rachmaninoff is a badass.
Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade -- For your "epic saga" fix. It's hard not to like this piece. Inspired by tales from Arabian Nights or 1001 Nights or whatever it's called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
e: nm didn't see the last page

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Stringent posted:

I'd previously kinda written off Yuja Wang without listening to her, but I really liked this performance of Prokofiev so I've been checking her stuff out lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVpnr8dI_50

Yeah! Don't rag on her without listening to her!

She can get kinda... grating in her interviews, and most of her repertoire definitely isn't bad but also doesn't "speak to me" in any special way. But then she has a few absolute standouts that I was blown away by. The most recent memorable one was some Liszt or Rachmaninoff or Ravel piece and I can't remember which and it is really bothering me because I want to listen to it again. :argh:

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Technique-wise Moonlight 3rd really isn't all that difficult -- very approachable for the somewhat serious piano student, and certainly a breeze for any serious performance-level pianist. And I mean, it's likely he's not spending that much effort on the interpretation part of it.

I just... don't 'get' Valentina Lisitsa, actually. She just came out of nowhere some day for me, seems like the whole internet (or at least Youtube comments) loves her, and I just don't understand why. To me, she epitomizes roboticness while playing a million miles a minute. TBH I even like many 'hobbyist' classical pianists' renditions more than most of hers. :(

There must be an entire dimension of music I'm completely blind to or something. Like I must be musically color-blind or something and I don't realize it.