Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I'm looking for some classical recommendations (shocking, I know), I really want to expand my literacy of classical music, but I find a lot of it is a little to airy and polite for me (I've already written off Mozart completely for this reason (I know he was anything but polite but his music is so loving insipid)), my background has a lot of really heavy music and minor keys in it, I love swells and dramatic dynamics. Things I know I love are Vivaldi's Winter movement, Beethoven's fifth, large chunks of Carmina Burana, Toccata and Fugue in D. Basically I'm looking for the music that post-rock ripped off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Hawkgirl posted:

You want the Romantic period. Like, probably basically anyone in the Romantic period. See if you like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTbY1n3Iz8

edit: Also, before you totally count out Mozart, try listening to Lacrimosa, it might be your thing.

Sibelius was awesome for like 80% of it but I found the two thirds mark really hard to care about. Lacrimosa was great as well so thank you for that.