Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

breaks posted:

If you like big and dramatic, you might check out some of Mahler's symphonies. He was a late Romantic guy, about a hundred years after Mozart, and his work is nothing if not big and dramatic. For example, the end of his 2nd is awesomely over-the-top: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsicaSxh7_Y

The 8th is probably my favorite. On the downside, many of them are 80+ minutes long and Mahler really liked to expound upon themes at incredible length. Particularly if you're not already accustomed to listening through lengthy pieces of classical music, they can try your patience a bit.

This, all the way. As my username might indicate, I love Mahler's music so much. The first, second, and fifth symphonies are my favorites, and each one is unique and interesting thematically.

Elephant posted:

Seconding that bit about the end of Mahler's 2nd Symphony. He calls for a group of brass players and percussionists to go off stage, and it creates this eerie distant effect that adds to the already ridiculous raucousness of the piece.

I love the off-stage brass parts, especially in the fifth movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

It's been a while since I listened to classical music--I hang out in my dorm's floor lounge a lot and it's not exactly the best music for DJ Mahlertov to pick, haha--but I'm working on a paper super-late tonight and since the place is abandoned decided to blast some Tchaik.

Man, I forgot just how much I love his 4th Symphony. Just... every part of every movement is so good. The first is so intense and the tail end is one of the darkest, most awesome endings to a movement. The second isn't Tchaik's best slow movement (that honor goes to the second movement of his Fifth, in my opinion), but it's still gorgeous. The third movement is just delightful--I love how the strings play pizz the whole time; it just adds to how cheerful it sounds. And, well, there's not much to say about the fourth movement/finale. It speaks for itself... very quickly, loudly, and energetically. :)

Edit: Incidentally, the version I have is with the Berliner Philharmoniker and Herbert von Karajan. Great combination for Tchaik symphonies.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mahler posted:

Tchaikovsky's Fourth was the first piece of classical music I acquired from Limewire. 7 years later and I'm majoring in composition.

Nice. I'm not quite that level (repping the German/psych majors), but I do love classical music.

Also, I like the name! :)