Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Can anyone recommend some good minimalist contemporary music? I know the bigger guys like Arvo Pärt, Steve Reich, Terry Riley, etc etc and I'm familiar with some figures like Nyman, Einaudi, Van Veen, Bjørnstad, etc. Any recommendation is quite welcome.

I really love this type of music and am currently exploring the use of algorithmic composition from a computer within minimalist music as part of my degree hehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
I've heard some Alvin Lucier, mostly I'm Sitting In A Room but I'll check out some of his other stuff. Thanks guys! Been listening to so much Arvo Pärt this week

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

ashgromnies posted:

Can anyone point me to some serialist orchestral works? Looking for things between like 1940 and 1970 I guess. Whatever pieces you think are cool, I'm just trying to get an understanding of it.

Boulez would be your main go to dude I would say! Pretty much anything by him has been serialized.

Others composers that you might want to check out that have used serialist techniques more or less: Luciano Berio, Arne Nordheim (he didn't actually use it but was clearly inspired and sometimes would use an 11 tone row to piss off serialists, awesome composer nonetheless), Finn Mortensen (early on), Luigi Nono, Penderecki, Gorecki (early), Arvo Pärt (early), Stockhausen, etc etc etc. You should basically check out any composers that were part of the Darmstad school of thought after WWII although to truly understand serialism you should go back to Schönberg in the 1920s specifically.

Sorry that I can't be more specific, I can't remember that much off the top of my head and I'm not a big serialism fan. If you do have specific questions about some serialist ideas, feel free to ask though.

SNEAK EDIT: I completely forgot Milton Babbitt, go check out Milton Babbitt!

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

megalodong posted:

"The Classical Style: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven" by Charles Rosen.

As much as that book is amazing, it's far from beign beginner friendly if you're not well versed in musical analysis, harmony, counterpoint, etc. I mean, you'll still get quite a bit out of it but the book is really an academic volume designed to understand the Classical period.

As for recommendations... For contemporary stuff check out Kaija Saariaho's Lichtbogen which is a fantastic piece with good use of live processing. I'm also a sucker for Ralph Vaughan Williams' symphonies, Jean Sibelius' 1st and 5th symphony, Arne Nordheim's Greening & Floating and Rimsky-Korsakov's 2nd symphony.

Any fans of Schnittke here? I've been listening to some of his stuff and it's interesting but I still haven't had a-ha moment with his compositions.